Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2023, 13:44   #1261
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

I was eagerly waiting to get the front de-chromed. It was indeed a relief after deleting all the chrome/silver parts.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img9440.jpg

Some mild off-roading-

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img9463.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img9459.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img9458.jpg
sudeep.pandya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 13:06   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Fortuner jerks only when you engage D from N without pressing brakes. Your feet have to be firmly on the brakes to avoid this jerk. Were you pressing brakes when you engaged D ?
I remember using brakes that time but whether 'firmly' i am not sure now. But can check again for the interest sake.
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 08:09   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post

I went ahead with new tyres as well just a day from showroom - BF Goodrich KO2 with same OEM size. Love it!

Attachment 2421894
Did you feel any power drop after KO2? These tyres are on a heavier side. I had a huge power drop when I changed to KO2 on my Thar and did a retune to increase the power.
Old 9th April 2023, 12:10   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by febin8055 View Post
Did you feel any power drop after KO2? These tyres are on a heavier side. I had a huge power drop when I changed to KO2 on my Thar and did a retune to increase the power.
Yes, especially on eco mode, as power is already limited and with heavy tires, it does struggle to race ahead. However, the spur of power is marginally affected in Normal and Sport modes and hardly noticeable. Moreover, I am sedate driver and hardly take above 100 kmph.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 16:18   #1265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Yes, especially on eco mode, as power is already limited and with heavy tires, it does struggle to race ahead. However, the spur of power is marginally affected in Normal and Sport modes and hardly noticeable. Moreover, I am sedate driver and hardly take above 100 kmph.
Just curious that how can an additional total weight of 20 -25 odd kgs (at max i believe - don't have specifics) make a difference even in Eco mode?
Pardon my ignorance here.

Last edited by channelv : 10th April 2023 at 16:19.
Old 10th April 2023, 22:40   #1266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post
Roads in Odisha, UP, Delhi and Haryana were mostly good and in Chhattisgarh was horrible. Google map took us through some villages in Chhattisgarh where most cars can only dream of making it through.
Totally echo your sentiments on the Chhattisgarh part, I recently did a Raipur -Jhansi-Lucknow-Varanasi trip. And I was mostly happy with the driving part, but then I decided to drive from Varanasi directly to Raipur and trust me it indeed was a pain on my back. Just imagine that I did those dreaded strech in my low slung Rapid with 3 on board and a boot full of luggage. Chhattisgarh seriously has got some of the worst stretches these days.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_20230119_075343.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_20230119_133008.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_20230119_132252.jpg  

sachin_cs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 20:08   #1267
BHPian

7500 Kms Update!

It has been close to 6 months since delivery of my Black Fortuner Diesel MT 4X4 and I clocked 7500 Km after a 1100 Kms trip to Dharamshala/ McLeodgunj undertaken over the Good Friday weekend and I just thought of sharing my experience here. Have not had the time to collate an ownership review but have been posting short updates and pictures on this thread, which were practically easier. It has been a great experience thus far and I am loving every bit of it. Since MT ownership is rare, I am taking the liberty of sharing below a summary of my experience thus far.

Summary of trips undertaken So Far:

1. Bhubaneswar to Gurgaon (Via Sundargarh, Varanasi & Lucknow) - Approximately 1700 Kms

2. Gurgaon to Chail and return (Via Chandigarh) - Approximately 1000 Kms

3. Gurgaon to Landour (Via Dehradun & Mussoorie) - Approximately 700 Kms

4. Gurgaon to Patiala/ Chandigarh and return - Approximately 700 Kms

5. Gurgaon to Dharamshala/ McLeodgunj (Via Ludhiana) - Approximately 1100 Kms

1. Power and torque at disposal [Tried the Sports mode for a short while over an open stretch and the vehicle just transformed into a beast and the monstrous torque pulls it like a train. It can take the car to insane speeds in no time. I drive in Normal mode which is more than sufficient for day-to-day driving. I have tried Eco mode but prefer the balance Normal mode provides.]

2. Butter smooth gear shifts in manual transmission [I prefer MT over AT, which is a rarity these days. I love the gear shifts and my father also loves the gear shifts of the Fortuner much better as compared to his Innova Crysta]

3. Menacing looks and particularly in Attitude Black it is a head turner (unwanted attention for a modest lawyer, who is mistaken for someone important which is not the case )

4. Imposing road presence and excellent visibility [Other cars usually give way when they see this elephant on their IRVM. Even at circles and crossings, people do not try to cut you and prefer giving way without even bullying other cars, which is usually the reputation people associate this car with. The road visibility it provides is also excellent when you are literally sitting on top of a mountain.]

5. Very good fuel economy considering the vehicle of this size [Initially I was getting 12+ kmpl and now I am consistently getting 14+ kmpl with mix of city and highway driving. I maintain prescribed speed limits of 50-70 kmph in Delhi NCR and generally use Xtra Green Diesel by Indian Oil.]

6. Heavy steering which is good to hold on to [It weighs up nicely for the vehicle of this size. I like the hydraulic steering of my Abarth Punto so this steering is relatable.]

7. Plenty of space [No worries about carrying extra luggage even for shorter trips, it is actually a 1 BHK on wheels. The average luggage that we have been carrying for our trips has generally increased.]

8. Effectiveness of the AC [In spite of the black colour and size of this vehicle, the cabin cools in no time.]

9. Highway cruiser and mile muncher [It can cover thousands of miles all day without breaking a sweat. Long drives are a breeze. The 80L fuel tank is also very helpful which provides a range of almost about 1000 Kms which will only get better with time and Kms on the ODO.]

10. Go anywhere ability [Ground clearance, humps, roads or no roads, nothing is a concern. It can take you to places where most other cars can only dream of.]

Dislikes

1. Ride quality [Our 6 year old kid who usually occupies the 2nd row feels nauseatic as compared to our trips in our Brezza/ Abarth Punto. My father's Innova Crysta's comfort levels are simply unmatched. However, the ride quality in Fortuner gets better with load, which I believe is typical of body on frame vehicles. I signed up for this when I got it so I am not complaining.]

2. Size of the vehicle [With the wide roads in Delhi NCR, most of the time the size is not a problem. It is just that in narrow roads in the hills (Chail, Landour and Mussoorie) and in Cuttack and Varanasi that I found it a bit cumbersome.]

3. AdBlue refills [Got the popup to refill at about 3500 Kms on the ODO when it consumed about 8 litres and now again at 7500 Kms on the ODO it has popped up. Though it gives you a range of 2400 Kms to enable you to plan and refill at your convenience, it is surprising to note the frequency and the amount of AdBlue it is consuming. Not sure if it is just me.]

4. Horn could have been better for a vehicle of this size [Easier to upgrade but I prefer not to tamper and like it stock.]

5. Headlights effectiveness could have been better for driving during rain/ fog [The fog lights improve the visibility but still inadequate during rain/ fog. I believe it is more to do with the white light, which is fine for normal driving but the effectiveness is comparatively low while driving during rainy/ foggy conditions. I understand the effectiveness and throw of the Legender's head lights are better.]

6. Basic interiors and absence of bells and whistles for the price [While I am perfectly fine with the absence of it as the mechanicals, reliability and the driving pleasure more than makes up for it, but it would have been good to have some of those bells and whistles considering the price tag and in comparison to what the Ford Endeavour offered back then.]

7. H/T tyres for 4x4 and A/T tyres for 4x2 [I have not been able to understand Toyota's logic behind this. Is it because of any price difference or some other factor? Since I have not used 4x4 as yet and would not be using it for hard core off roading, it may not be a necessity but for those who actually want to will have to necessarily upgrade the stock tyres.]

Sharing some pictures for you to enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-tbhp5.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-tbhp2.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-tbhp4.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-tbhp1.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-tbhp3.jpg  

jbpanda is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 02:07   #1268
Senior - BHPian

Off-roading with the fortuner 4x4 at Toyota's off-road event

My dad and I recently took part in an offroad event set up by Nippon Toyota in Thrissur, Kerala. It all started with a random whatsapp message from the salesman who took my Hycross booking inviting me to their offroad event:

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_0414.png

With confirmation that this wasn't just for existing Fortuner and Hilux owners, I convinced my dad to accompany me to the event the very next day. Knowing he is an ardent fan of rugged SUVs, I knew that he would probably enjoy this even more than me!

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_0245.jpg

Arrived at the venue late in the afternoon to beat the horrid midday heat in Kerala. It was a large estate with an off-road track dug up and prepared. We were treated to our first glimpse of the Fortuners we would be experiencing, done up in the dealership's decals.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_0255.jpg
The second generation fortuner still strikes a handsome look despite being introduced all the way back in 2016.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_0256.jpg
Also available to drive was a red Hilux which looked very good in the sun.

After registering at the little tent they had set up, we were provided with yellow wrist bands to show that we would be driving. Meanwhile, passengers got red wrist bands. The dealership had kindly provided refreshments and snacks for the attendees.

Almost immediately afterward, we were shown to the car we would be driving. There were 3-4 fortuners available so wait times were minimal.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_0259.jpg

I shook hands with the off-road coach and decided to go first with my dad riding passenger. First thing I did was turn on the ventilated seats. These Kerala summers are no joke

The car was already in 4HIGH so I just slotted it into drive, turned on downhill assist control and drove headfirst into the track they had prepared. Here is a video containing the highlights recorded by both my dad and myself while the other was driving:

One thing that struck me was how effortlessly the fortuner went over hills, dips, inclines, declines and everything in the middle. I assumed i would need to use 4LOW on some of the steeper climbs but nope, it tackled it all in 4HIGH itself. Even more impressive, it barely needed me pushing the accelerator at all. Just had to give it a jab whenever it felt like it was slowing down and it kept going. I think I completed the entire track without even going above 2k rpm. I guess that's how it is when you have a massive 500nm of torque available right from 1500rpm from the 2.8L diesel engine.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_0418-copy.jpg
An observation : While my dad was driving, DPF regeneration was going on.

It was unnoticeable and the car didn't seem to have any change in performance.

After getting back to the start of the track, the drivers are replaced and car is immediately sent to do it all over again. It had been doing this for 2 days but as expected from a real Toyota, there were no creaks or rattles whatsoever. No matter how fast or rough you drive it, it takes it all in stride. The only limitation is how much your body is comfortable with being jostled around. The fortuner is completely in its element when being driven off the beaten track, with it's suspension finally getting to do the work it was designed to do. It's a shame most owners will probably never take it off the road.

My dad was happy to be driving something that didn't feel flimsy or fragile after a year of trying out crossovers and luxury cars. It is clear where his heart is. And it is more clear to me why he prefers rugged SUVs over the cars that I'm into. All in all, it was a great experience and we went home satisfied.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_0257.jpg  

Last edited by Cresterk : 16th April 2023 at 02:15.
Cresterk is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 10:40   #1269

Just a quick question - considering that most of the folks who bought 4x4 version of this beauty has an enthusiast’s mindset with budget taking a back-seat, how would it sound to compare the 2.8 D 4x4 Fortuner with Jeep Wrangler Unlimited? I am intentionally not bringing in Rubicon due to its R&F diff locks along with sway bar disconnect capabilities.
Old 24th April 2023, 20:12   #1270
Team-BHP Support

BS-6 woes continue.

My friend's ~18 month Legender's oil is vanishing in ~3000 kilometers. Local Toyota people did not share the job-card and are reluctant to share any further details. Upon prodding few people I know, I am told, it's a bore design fault / issue. And this is the 5th BS-6 Fortuner they are attending to. As per them, it's advisable to keep a watch on console (for oil level) and just to be on the safe side, it is recommended to check it manually every 1000 kilometers. ASC says, half engine would be replaced.

This is the lame e-mail they have come up with.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-362ca4f1b8d343dfbced950c52ee8037.jpeg  

Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 21:59   #1271
BHPian

Update on Furteel Ghonga 2.0

FG2.0 has now completed almost 26,000 kms in about 7 months. I have driven primarily on highways across the country from Mumbai with just one trip to the mountains (Tosh / Kasol / Jibhi) so far.

There is nothing much to report other than it has been chugging miles happily without breaking a sweat.
  • Very mild off roading done so far
  • DAC, Rear diff lock and low range work as expected
  • No DPF issues so far
  • Three services done at 1k, 10k and 20k of which oil change was done in last two.
  • Total bill amount less than 8k for oil change service
  • Wheel alignment and balancing done 4 times along with tyre rotation
  • Average FE has been around ~11 kmpl overall thanks to the addictive sport mode
  • Will activate manual DPF regen mode during next service primarily for use in the high altitude areas
Sharing some pics. Enjoy!

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_2115.jpeg
Mumbai Nagpur Samruddhi Mahamarg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_2423.jpeg
Mumbai Bangalore Highway

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_2438.jpeg
FG has been to Goa a few times

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_2886.jpeg
Shri Nathji, Nathdwara

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_2924.jpeg
Along the Beas river

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_2927.jpeg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_2941.jpeg
Tosh

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_2998.jpeg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_3022.jpeg
Parvati River, Kasol

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_3032.jpeg
Jibhi

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_3068.jpeg
DME - 8 lanes awesomeness!

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_2960.jpeg
Son's snacking place!
ragh_bhushan is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 09:18   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post
Update on Furteel Ghonga 2.0

FG2.0 has now completed almost 26,000 kms in about 7 months. I have driven primarily on highways across the country from Mumbai with just one trip to the mountains (Tosh / Kasol / Jibhi) so far.

[*]Wheel alignment and balancing done 4 times along with tyre rotation
Did they carry out five wheel rotation?
Old 25th April 2023, 11:17   #1273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Did they carry out five wheel rotation?
I have changed 4 tyres from stock Dueller to Geolandar G015. Stock spare was full size steel rim which I have replaced with pre-owned alloy but the tyre is still stock Dueller on this. So I only get 4 wheel rotation done.
ragh_bhushan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 10:23   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post
I have changed 4 tyres from stock Dueller to Geolandar G015. Stock spare was full size steel rim which I have replaced with pre-owned alloy but the tyre is still stock Dueller on this. So I only get 4 wheel rotation done.
How much did the pre-owned alloy rim cost?
I too am looking to replace the stock steel rim.
Old 26th April 2023, 16:13   #1275
BHPian

When DPF is auto regenerating, should we ideally pull the vehicle on side and slot it in neutral (with ACs on to have some load) or, continue driving normally?

What is the right behavior to be followed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks