Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2021, 11:38   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2021 Maruti Celerio Review

It will cost around 6.2 to 8.2 Lakhs on road in Bengaluru! No wonder the new generation doesn't prefer buying cars.

Anyway, This design looks nice compared to the old Celerio IMO. a nice combination on Spresso and Swift with some hints of Baleno too. Interiors also look really neat and clean. Absolutely surprised that Maruti made a new gear lever design!!! This shows how lazy the biggest car seller of the nation has been in the recent past (may be a decade).

It's clear that MSIL is on a serious weight loss mission, but they should've provided an AMT actuator protection at least on the underside. Apart from the focus on Light-weight build mainly to achieve high FE, it is good to see that MSIL has given some thoughts into other aspects too like the dead pedal and hill hold. With the window switched being so close to the hazard lamps, I expect a lot of hazard lamp switched on by mistake.

I hope Spresso is slowly buried after this is introduced...can't tolerate that design. Just introduce a 1.2 on Celerio, price the base variants of this 1ltr aggressively and stop selling that ugly thing called Spresso.

All said, I feel Tiago still a better choice than this for someone who has a budget of 8lakhs for a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
A question to the reviewers and Maruti- AMT users: It has been quoted in the S Presso review and also here that the AMT is tricky to operate while parking , i.e. it operates in a more or less binary fashion, and is not amenable to "fine" accelerator inputs to ease into and out of parking. How big an issue is it for newbie drivers compared to conventional ATs ?
for a newbie it shouldn't be a problem. On my wife's Alto, it find this eager ready-to-jump feeling irritating because I've been driving manual cars and a smooth DSG. But this being her first car, my wife doesn't find it tough.
Quote:
Can this not be mitigated by doing the same job in Manual mode (1st gear) at least while parking in the forward direction?
even in manual mode, the first gear is eager. Manual mode only lets us decide when to upshift. The AMT ECU still has to prevent the car from stalling, and hence the user can't control how the clutch is released.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 17th November 2021 at 12:05.
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 11:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

A question to the reviewers and Maruti- AMT users: It has been quoted in the S Presso review and also here that the AMT is tricky to operate while parking , i.e. it operates in a more or less binary fashion, and is not amenable to "fine" accelerator inputs to ease into and out of parking. How big an issue is it for newbie drivers compared to conventional ATs ?

Can this not be mitigated by doing the same job in Manual mode (1st gear) at least while parking in the forward direction?
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 11:58   #18
BHPian

Thanks for compiling such comprehensive review so quickly.
I have mixed feelings about the cosmetic changes. AMT Gear knob is pretty, but request sensor and keyhole placement on the door appears unaesthetic.
I expected MS to give the option of the 1.2 litre engine alongside 1.0 litre as in case of WagonR.
Old 17th November 2021, 12:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
How big an issue is it for newbie drivers compared to conventional ATs ?

This is an issue for experienced drivers too because the AMT doesn't let the clutch slip smoothly the way we can do in manual transmission cars. So one needs to be a little cautious while parking in very tight spaces, and driving in very slow moving bumper to bumper traffic.

In the manual mode too, clutch behaves like an on-off solution, so essentially you have to live with this problem. In very tight parking spaces people try 'Jugaads' like modulating handbrake and accelerator to stop the car at the desired place- not recommended.

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 17th November 2021 at 12:47.
xjosephjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 12:51   #20
BHPian

Somehow it looks like 1st gen Amaze from the front, Nissan Micra from the sides and Baleno Hatch from the rear.

It looks "not bad", and no doubt will sell in millions. Tiago remains the best looking car in the segment though.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 12:56   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I would TD the car soon and plan to replace my Kwid 0.8 MT with Celerio ZXI+ AGS .
I think the Kwid is one fun car to drive and in comparison, my last Gen Celerio felt boring and lifeless.

Do share your test drive experience. Let's see if new Celerio is any better to drive than the older one.

From the official review, one positive is that the suspension has become stiffer, but again, the steering remains lifeless.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th November 2021 at 17:34. Reason: Upper case letters
Old 17th November 2021, 13:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
A question to the reviewers and Maruti- AMT users: It has been quoted in the S Presso review and also here that the AMT is tricky to operate while parking ... in the forward direction?
If you drive the AMT once in a while it will be tricky. I used to reverse like I am on a drag strip when my car was new.

But with time and getting used to it, you master the art of controlling it. And somehow the gearbox also kind-of learns to control its speed when reversing.

It's not as perfect as other gearboxes but now its 90% almost there. The thing with AMTs is that after driving it for a while you can make the car behave as perfect as you want it to. I can even feel the engine braking sometimes though I am not sure or can verify if it's actually that.

Now coming to this car, like I said even before the first photos were unveiled, and only 3D model images were releases, it would look great in Red, Yellow with black alloys and it truly does.

But I still feel Ignis is VFM. This car could have got the adjustable headrests, 1.2L option and that would have made it truly worth considering.

However, no complaints about people who will still buy this even though the pricing seems steep.

They have taken "great efforts" to redesign window switches and the AMT gearknob. Overall, I like this car.
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 13:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post

Flap-type door handles look outdated next to the request sensors for keyless entry. Keyhole is located on the door rather than on the door handle:

This design looks so odd. Couldn't they integrate all 3 in one and have a cleaner appearance.
Maverick5490 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 13:35   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

26.68 km/l

26.68 km/l

26.68 km/l

That is the only thing that I can think of the Celerio.

Even the WagonR has fallen off my radar with the arrival of the Spresso. It is either the Spresso on one end or buy the Ignis on the other end. Even if you take into account the high 26.68 km/l rating, it is for the AMT variant, not the base MT variant.

Got an uneasy feel that Maruti is scheming something else and that the price of the WagonR 1.2 and Ignis won't stay low for long. Heck, they would kill off the Ignis like they killed off the Ritz.

Though, the K10-C in the Spresso or the upcoming Alto and the resultant ARAI figures will be
DicKy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 13:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
This design looks so odd. Couldn't they integrate all 3 in one and have a cleaner appearance.
I guess the best integration of all three requires a pull type handle design. These flap type handles surely cant have the request sensor push button operation and door opening motion as a single step exercise.

Still, the keyhole button should have been integrated without excuse and this definitely looks ugly (Just like 4 or more camera lens equipped chinese android phones).
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 14:21   #26
BHPian

Wow - Yokohama OE tyres - I just hope Yokos aren't going the budget way to increase numbers. I read the line twice & saw the picture again to really confirm if they were really Yokohamas. I feel MSIL is trying to position the new Celerio to a slightly image conscious, budget buyer - who wants a peppy city car without compromising on fuel efficiency.
jeetumg27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 16:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

I missed the great "What we like" & "What we dont like" section which beautifully summarises the car.

Initially I did not like this car but this review has slightly changed my mind. The improved AMT makes an impressive proposition. Due to the hill hold I am ready to consider this car alongside WagonR 1.2 if I am in the market for this segment. Hill hold is a very attractive feature which WagonR & Ignis miss out if I am not wrong. The reduced vibrations are also a plus point. The good low range is also a plus point as users in my family hardly cross 3K RPM.
AkMar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 16:52   #28
BHPian

Excellent Review. Nearly an Official Teambhp review.

This car looks cute. Mini Ambassador from the Front. But it comes with a lot of compromises ala Flap Type handles, request sensor and keyhoke sticking out to name a few.

However being a Maruti it will sell. That AMT Gear Stick looks Dope
Old 17th November 2021, 16:58   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I think the kwid is one fun car to drive and in comparison, my last Gen celerio felt boring and lifeless.
Kwid is decent. I would be relocating to a bigger city soon and hence the need for AMT hatch . Also my Kwid is 0.8L.

Quote:
Do share your test drive experience. Let's see if new celerio is any better to drive than the older one.

From the official review, one positive is that the suspension has become stiffer, but again, the steering remains lifeless.
Yes I am waiting for the local dealer to start test drives. Few reviews say suspension is softer now with increased body roll.
Old 17th November 2021, 19:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

Few missed opportunities by Maruti in new Celerio but overall a very good car. Old style door handles are really shocking in today's world. Also power window buttons has weird location, specially for rear passengers. But look wise they have scored big, looks cute car. With petrol costing more than Rs. 100, 'Kitna Deti Hai' matters a lot for many people in India. Lots of people will consider this just by seeing FE numbers.

Most Viewed