Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2022, 22:15   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic View Post
Going on a limb here, I expect prices to start just above the base XL6, so around 11L for the lowest petrol trim, then step up to around 15L for the T-GDI Automatic base.
One at look at the standard equipment list, compared to an XL6 or an Innova GX, this one should be a lot more expensive to buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Someone in KIA's marketing team has balls of steel.
Maybe an ex-employee of current market leader has joined them recently.

Last edited by ashis89 : 1st February 2022 at 22:23.
Old 1st February 2022, 22:50   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
But hope the NCAP ratings are better this time.

Attachment 2267522
To my eyes, the body shell effectively is the same as that of the Alcazar. So one can guess what the crash rating would be. I'm biased, probably?

But, credit to be given where due. The look and feel of the interiors look premium (ahem! Skoda/VW!), and the vehicle itself practical. Won't be surprised if it sells in high numbers. Let's see!
Old 1st February 2022, 22:54   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Someone in KIA's marketing team has balls of steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post
To my eyes, the body shell effectively is the same as that of the Alcazar. So one can guess what the crash rating would be. I'm biased, probably?
I am hoping Kia has learnt from the previous debacle. The market rection to the ratings of Seltos last time was not something that Kia would want to repeat. In fact, this is a golden opportunity to correct it. I would go to the extent of saying Kia should be starting with the NCAP rating even in their marketing efforts.
vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 00:31   #94
BHPian

Saw the carens in-person during the unveiling today at PPS Mysore road. Enough has already been said about the looks so won't comment on it. I was more interested in checking out the 7 seat configuration and they had 3 luxury plus model cars on display: two 7 seaters - (Silver and Maroon) and a 6 seater (Blue)

The blue and Maroon certainly looked great on carens. The driver and co-passenger seats were great. They have good cushion and provide nice support to the back and thigh. The co-passenger foot-well wasn't deep though. The view from the driver seat isn't commanding like in SUVs.

2nd row seating doesn't have thick cushion as front seats but were comfortable provided you adjust the headrest else it would poke in your back. these seats can be adjusted to find good knee room and recline for comfort.

As there were many people trying the seats, we were able to checkout the knee room by adjusting the seats for different size people. The pull down tray on back of co-passenger side wasn't much of hindrance like the one behind driver seat with air purifier. I am 5'11" and my knees were almost touching that protrusion when the driver seat was set for maximum position. Forgot to try the middle seat in the middle row which doesn't have a head rest and not sure if it has a seat belt (there might a lap belt though)

Getting in to the 3rd row was easy and those seats have same thickness and cushion as middle row seats. The seating is comfortable unlike in safari / Hector plus where you sit in knee up position and 3rd row is suitable for only kids. I felt carens 3rd row has better seating than XUV700 as well. With the middle row seats adjusted for 5'11" person, I was able to sit comfortably in the 3rd row without any issue though the thigh support was less. 2 people of my height can sit comfortably but can they sit through a long drive will only be known with user reviews in the coming months

None of the people checking out the Carens had any complaint about the seating and all seemed to be impressed with the space on offer.

Now coming to the trims available, prestige plus seems to the value for money. Luxury and Luxury Plus are packed with features which are good to have but everyone might not need them. The Diesel AT being made available only in Luxury plus is a bummer! 7DCT is available in prestige plus which might find many takers considering the reviews about diesel not having enough power with full load of 7 people.

The test drives would start this coming weekend and the price is also expected to be announced around that time. The price range is supposed to be from 12 - 18L ex-showroom. PPS has had some 110 booking for carnes so far and with test drives and price announcement i expect the numbers to grow and a long waiting period. I will not be surprised if a lot of prospective Ertiga/XL6/Safari/Hector plus/Alcazar/crysta customers opt for carens as i feel they get a good VFM car

Last edited by ant_vas : 2nd February 2022 at 00:36.
ant_vas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 01:16   #95
BHPian

The one thing I haven’t seen in the variant lineup for the Carens is an iMT variant. For someone like me, the iMT is the perfect level of control without the need to get cramping in my left leg in traffic.

Any thoughts on why this transmission is missing?
Old 2nd February 2022, 07:03   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
PPS has had some 110 booking for carnes so far and with test drives and price announcement i expect the numbers to grow and a long waiting period.
Mine is one among those 110 I've booked prestige plus DCT, Red. Exec was saying that most of the bookings were for High end when I was booking.

Will be visiting today to experience the car.
Didn't they allow to take photos??
praveenkkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 07:53   #97
Senior - BHPian

Meet The All-New Kia Carens - New TVC

nairrk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 09:34   #98
BHPian

The 1.4 turbo being quite responsive on such a big car makes me wonder whether torque to weight being higher with a compromised weight? Do these “high tensile “ “light weight” steel actually work.
Old 2nd February 2022, 12:26   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Saw the carens in-person during the unveiling today at PPS Mysore road. Enough has already been said about the looks so won't comment on it. I was more interested in checking out the 7 seat configuration and they had 3 luxury plus model cars on display: two 7 seaters - (Silver and Maroon) and a 6 seater (Blue)
Woow that is some space management. Looks like this can actually be a credible 7 seater for long journeys. However do we know whether one can have a roof carrier for this?

Last edited by bblost : 2nd February 2022 at 13:45. Reason: reduced size of quoted post.
Old 2nd February 2022, 13:42   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveenkkr View Post
Mine is one among those 110 I've booked prestige plus DCT, Red. Exec was saying that most of the bookings were for High end when I was booking.

Will be visiting today to experience the car.
Didn't they allow to take photos??
Mine and a friend's is also in those 110 bookings (in-fact in the top 10 ). I feel prestige plus 1.4T 7DCT is the trim to get.

They did allow photos, but we were too lazy to click the interior photos plus the crowd without mask wasn't making us comfortable. took some photos of the exteriors to get the idea of the colors

here they are:

Kia Carens Review-blue-2.jpeg

Kia Carens Review-blue.jpeg

Kia Carens Review-maroon.jpeg

Kia Carens Review-silver.jpeg

Quote:
However do we know whether one can have a roof carrier for this?
I had similar question and the roof rails do not have any grooves/openings. but i believe there are after market roof racks available which can be fitted via the passenger doors.

having said that, if the 3rd row seats set are for comfortable reclice angle and by removing the cover of the additional space in the boot, we can easily fit in 4 bags or couple of regular size trolly suitcase and couple of bags

Last edited by ant_vas : 2nd February 2022 at 13:50.
ant_vas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 14:43   #101
BHPian

Visited KIA dealer near my place. There were 2 Carens - a dark blue & a red

Quick observations
- Both colours looked good. Blue certainly was eyecatching
- Front look is modern - and quite unlike other cars - sleek but certainly not imposing
- Looks an MPV all-around with a sloping front bonnet (vs Seltos) - no one will confuse it with an SUV despite the mktg claims
- Every seat was comfortable for me (5 10' height) Front two rows are really good. Good legroom, comfortable seat, high quality of (art) leather and stitching.
- Third row was best-in-class ... marginally better than the Innova and Ertiga (have been in both in 3rd row for long distances) ... decent leg room, underthigh support and with a reclining third row (very comfy) and AC vents, chargers etc - the third row here is most appealing vs any competitor
- Every thing looked good and well put together - good paint quality, button touch & feel and quality, fit & finish was very good (Hyundai-like)
- Boot was decent sized as the 215 lit capacity indicates - again better than competition except Innova (at 300 lt)

Overall, came back very impressed with the practicality on offer - looks decent on the outside (but certainly not head-turning), excellent & practical interiors, premium fit & finish

Dealer said 6-7 weeks is the current waiting period (already) and pricing expected to undercut the Alcazar for the top trims

Last edited by RoadTiger : 2nd February 2022 at 14:45.
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 16:16   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Mine and a friend's is also in those 110 bookings (in-fact in the top 10 ). I feel prestige plus 1.4T 7DCT is the trim to get.
Nice, you might get your car much ahead of mine. Mine is around 50th. Booking count has increased to 130 now.

Quote:
They did allow photos, but we were too lazy to click the interior photos plus the crowd without mask wasn't making us comfortable. took some photos of the exteriors to get the idea of the colors
Exec also made this statement. This is the main reason for not visiting the event yesterday. Today, we were all alone and could peacefully check the car.
But only blue 6-seater was available for display and we had to go to basement service floor to check 7-Seater.

The exec says most of the bookigs are for top end, imperial blue. He also felt that many will change to Prestige/Plus once price is announced.
He was very much tight lipped about the delivery date and price list.

Few observations:
- On 6-seater, door was vibrating on closing. On 7-Seater it appeared to be fine.

- On pressing the one-touch tumble button of 2nd row, the tumbling action got struck middle way as the head rest was not retracted to bottom. After sitting in the last row seat, we were not able to slot back the 2nd row seat. The exec said that the seat should be completely tumbled. Otherwise, we cannot slot back the 2nd row seat because of the hydraulic mechanism. So, to use one-touch, we need to first push down the headrest which defeats the whole purpose of one-touch Hope this is not the case in reality.

- Lap belt provided for 2nd row centre seat in 7-seater.

- Exec confirmed that the Wireless Android Auto and Apply carplay is already enabled and working. Even brochure mentions the same. Couldn't check it myself. But in the review, Vidyut and Chetan has mentioned that it wasn't available.

Carens is not an Alcazar competitor at any 'cost'.
That 'wow' factor we got with Alcazar was certainly missing with Carens. Either our expectation was too high after so much of +ve reviews or we are blinded by the love of Alcazar

Alcazar still rules the heart of our family. But, it is much expensive and ruled out unless Carens is also priced on the same lines.

Last edited by praveenkkr : 2nd February 2022 at 16:18.
praveenkkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 18:41   #103
BHPian

Quote:
- On pressing the one-touch tumble button of 2nd row, the tumbling action got struck middle way as the head rest was not retracted to bottom. After sitting in the last row seat, we were not able to slot back the 2nd row seat. The exec said that the seat should be completely tumbled. Otherwise, we cannot slot back the 2nd row seat because of the hydraulic mechanism. So, to use one-touch, we need to first push down the headrest which defeats the whole purpose of one-touch Hope this is not the case in reality.
When i was there yesterday, i saw that the 1 touch tumble working well even with the headrest not retracted and i was actually impressed that there was enough space in the 2nd row foot well to accommodate the extended head rest.

Did you try the middle seat of the 2nd row?

Did the executive mention anything about the test drives? i was told they would begin as soon as they get temporary registrations and should be ready by the coming weekend

Last edited by ant_vas : 2nd February 2022 at 18:42.
Old 2nd February 2022, 19:36   #104
BHPian

Though I have not seen Carens in person, however I'm unable to digest Front & Back exterior of this car. I feel Alcazar look much better as compared to Carens from exterior. Front & Back looks ugly to me and 16 inch wheels looks small in pictures.

Interior wise Carens looks much refreshing (except glossy dashboard & small sunroof) but rest all looks much better in comparison with Alcazar especially last row seat space which is very important whenever anyone looks for 3rd row seats.

Apologies to all upcoming Carens owners, but i did not like Nexon & even Creta + Crysta at launch, but now i like all 3 cars & gives 2nd looks at times, plus looks have finally grown on me

Last edited by woodstock3001 : 2nd February 2022 at 19:43. Reason: Better for reading
Old 2nd February 2022, 19:45   #105
BHPian

Visited the KIA showroom today at the 24th Main Road, J P Nagar 1st Phase, Bangalore.

Overall, liked the look of the MUV and also the road presence.

My 2 Cents:-

Positives
1) 6 Seat Option is the best one to go for. (Space between the seat helps the 3rd row passenger be more comfortable)
2) 1.4T with 7 Speed DCT is a perfect match for this MUV in terms of both performance and drive-ability.
3) Smart integration of roof mounted air vents. (Just wish they had better on and off rotary pin) Current one looks to flimsy.
4) White and Blue really look lovely. (One of the best integration of White's in a car)

Negatives (My Height - 5.7 & My family (Wife, Mother, Son all are of similar height)
1) When i set up best position for driving and co passenger, and also set up same for 2nd row, the 3rd row was of no use, My Knee's literally had no space, to the extent that i had to sit sideways. With the 7 seater option its a NO GO for me. But with the 6 seater option 1 leg can be placed between the captain seats. Which works best.
2) second row is to busy for me, both the Air Purifier and the cup holder behind the Passenger Seat play foul with your knees. I was cautious while stepping out of the seat behind the driver keeping in mind the extended protrusion of the Air Purifier & Never expected the Cup Holder tray to cut me. (totally unexpected)

Now keeping in mind the whole purpose of me looking at this 7 seater is for weekend outings with family, not convinced..

Rest of the MUV is nice, everything is well placed and looks built to last. So my wait continuous.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks