Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:14   #136
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Skoda Slavia Review-d9a43452e3bb4d178551cd003535d5bd.png

Prices for 1.5 tsi are out. Seems vfm considering the cutting tech Engine Gearbox combo offering delightful performance.
divyadeeptsi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:33   #137
BHPian

Skoda claims 1.5TSI 0-100 in 8.8s. AutoCar India tests says 9.4s. which Ones to believe

Skoda Slavia Review-image-4.png

Name:  image 3.png
Views: 1942
Size:  25.2 KB
krsna777 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:35   #138
Team-BHP Support

Interesting to note that the difference between the 1.0L TSI AT and 1.5L TSI DSG is 2.4 lakhs for the Slavia but only 1.7L for the Kushaq.

This means the Slavia 1.5L TSI is less VFM than the 1.0L TSI.

Also this means the price difference between the Kushaq 1.5L TSI DSG and the Slavia 1.5L TSI DSG is only 40K.

But with the 1.0L TSI AT the difference was a much larger 1.1 lakhs.

Interesting strategy by Skoda to have this difference.
Vid6639 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:45   #139
Senior - BHPian

Wow, if you want a fun to drive car below Octavia, this seems to be the best. Can’t wait for the test drive, but with a budget of 25 lakhs I would have bought it lowered the suspension, changed to a stiffer dampers and 17inch wheels - viola you have a proper fun to drive car.
Interior quality is not bothering for me (somewhere they have to do a cost cut). But sincerely hope they have fixed the niggles of earlier Kushaq’s
sunikkat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:03   #140

1.5L MT is a few grand cheaper OTR than the 1.0L AT. Is that not more VFM? It has tall gear ratios to somewhat counterbalance the city driving headache, while the 1.5L is at your service for fun highway runs. Plus no DSG failure worries. Am I missing something? Newbie here so looking to understand some more perspectives on this. Source for OTR prices: CarDekho.
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:14   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsna777 View Post
Skoda claims 1.5TSI 0-100 in 8.8s. AutoCar India tests says 9.4s. which Ones to believe
I was checking the Autocar review. It stated that the manual had tall gear ratios for fuel economy which when coupled with the minor lag below 1800 RPM is responsible for the slower time. The DSG, which has shorter ratios since it has 7 instead of 6 gears along with the lightning quick shifts, can definitely result in some 8.xx seconds which is definitely believable.

Can't wait to check it out.

Last edited by Turbohead : 3rd March 2022 at 12:15.
Turbohead is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:43   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
you already know what to expect from those 2 set of engines? Just a thought that crossed my mind as I am typing here. I mean to ask, will you be excited each time you get an invitation from Skoda for new model review?
Very true! Also, since the Octavia/Jetta/A3 were introduced in the 1.4 TSi dsg trims as well, I have always wondered why this spec has come in so late in the first place? BS6 apart, VAG always had the 1.4 engine (if not 1.5) in India. I personally think if the Rapid/Vento/Polo had a trim in this engine (with a MT variant to top it off) it would’ve definitely helped a lot of enthusiast, say 5 (if not 10) years earlier.

Last edited by humbleroadster : 3rd March 2022 at 12:45.
humbleroadster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:49   #143
BHPian

Does the 1.5 Style Manual with Sun-roof miss out on any features compared to the 1.5 Style DSG with Sun-roof?

I saw a 4-5 page brochure with no feature comparison between variants earlier. Is there a brochure comparing the features between variants?

Last edited by whencut86 : 3rd March 2022 at 12:54. Reason: correction
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:51   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

1.5 TSI pricelist for Bangalore:
Skoda Slavia Review-capture.jpg

Looks expensive, but still cheaper than Taigun or Kushaq top end. TD car isnt available yet hence I am waiting to take back to back test drives of the 1.0AT and 1.5 DSG to understand if the 3L premium is worth it or I should settle for the 1.0AT and relieve myself of the DSG fear. My expectation for the 3L premium is that the 1.0 must be boring with full load and 1.5 should bring a wide grin on my face. If this isnt met, I will settle for the 1.0L engine.
audioholic is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 13:02   #145
BHPian

On a side note, I find it strange that Auto journalists do not conduct comparison reviews any more. Putting the City, Ciaz, Verna and Slavia next to each other and driving them back to back would reveal the differences in performance, quality etc. Unfortunately most review videos are being sponsored by OEMs and managed their Marketing and PR teams.

Team-BHP remains the only unbiased forum. A comparo would be amazing.

FYI, we just purchased a Honda City VX-CVT after going through a month of shortlisting/ negotation. Started out looking for an SUV with Auto box for less than 18L OTR. We came to a conclusion that there are no proper SUVs in that budget. All the so called SUVs are built on sedan platforms and share parts with their sedan siblings from the common parts bin.

Finally, it came down to Slavia vs the City. Recent Quality concerns (material, engineering) with Skoda 2.0 products and waiting time of Slavia, along with glowing reviews of the 5th Gen City's engine and a short test drive led us to choose the City. Now looking at the prices and feature list, the City VXI offers Japanese quality, better features (6 airbags, sunroof, paddle shifters, CVT box) compared to Slavia's mid variant and lower price point. Plus we got a solid discount. I figure that Slavia will have a tough time beating the City. The City though will have to improve its ICE and add a few cosmetic touches on its exterior and interior to seal its position as the segment leader.
cityslicker86 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 13:08   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityslicker86 View Post
On a side note, I find it strange that Auto journalists do not conduct comparison reviews any more.
I take back this statement. Autocar did one such comparo last year:

Would be lovely to have this with Slavia. Or at least City vs Slavia.
cityslicker86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 13:32   #147
BHPian

Up until just a couple years ago, Skoda was offering the previous-gen Octavia with it's miles better build quality, bigger & more powerful 1.8 TSI engine at roughly just over the prices of today's Slavia 1.5 TSI DSG.

Now, we get a slightly smaller car with a smaller, less powerful engine, and quite significant and visible cost cutting at roughly the previous Octavia's pricing.

Yes, we do get a couple extra features like ventilated seats, sunroof etc but still, the price delta is too much to justify!
Parth46 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 13:41   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakajale View Post
1.5L MT is a few grand cheaper OTR than the 1.0L AT. Is that not more VFM? It has tall gear ratios to somewhat counterbalance the city driving headache.

Am I missing something? Newbie here so looking to understand some more perspectives on this. Source for OTR prices: CarDekho.
Tall gearing means that you'll most likely be in the lag zone (below 1800 rpm) while driving within the city. This could be problem on inclines, and if you want to quickly close a gap in traffic. On the other hand, tall gearing is great for mileage and cruising.

If you are going to be driving in the city 80% of time, go for the 1.0 AT. On highways, 1.0 can be more fun than 1.5 - especially if you like to hunt the red line; I don't think its feasible to redline the 1.5 on Indian highways if you drive normally. Plus, on the twisty roads, the less nose-heavy 1.0 translates to better handling.

The only place where the 1.5 makes sense in the real world is overtaking un-divided highways.
buzzy_boy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 13:47   #149
BHPian

Love the styling outside except the chrome, which needs to be blackened asap, and the wheels, would it be wise to swap the 16 inches with the Kushaq's 17'', could give a really good stance to the car, anyone planning to do so?
autohead115 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 14:03   #150
BHPian

It is sad that Skoda haven't tweaked the suspension and the tyres for the 1.5. If you plonk a powerful engine into a car that doesn't have the right setup, you create a sub-par driving experience. I faced this problem with the Aspire TDCi - which used to have a lot of body roll, and lot of understeer.

Planning to take a long TD of the 1.5 in the real world before buying it.
buzzy_boy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed