Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2022, 14:07   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Up until just a couple years ago, Skoda was offering the previous-gen Octavia with it's miles better build quality, bigger & more powerful 1.8 TSI engine at roughly just over the prices of today's Slavia 1.5 TSI DSG.
Skoda is no different, see any manufacturers it would be same (with exception of few models). Almost all cars have moved up the segment in terms of pricing. Just compare the price of i20, Creta, City, Compass, Fortuner, 3 series etc few years back.
Whether we like it or not, I guess its high time we accept the reality, cars have become very expensive in past few years. Current chip shortage and supply constraints are just adding fuel to the fire. An i20 top end in Bangalore is around 15 lakhs and here we are talking about a full size sedan.

Last edited by sunikkat : 3rd March 2022 at 14:13.
sunikkat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 14:08   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Up until just a couple years ago, Skoda was offering the previous-gen Octavia with it's miles better build quality, bigger & more powerful 1.8 TSI engine at roughly just over the prices of today's Slavia 1.5 TSI DSG.

Now, we get a slightly smaller car with a smaller, less powerful engine, and quite significant and visible cost cutting at roughly the previous Octavia's pricing.

Yes, we do get a couple extra features like ventilated seats, sunroof etc but still, the price delta is too much to justify!
Not sure how much of what you mention here is accurate. Couple of points to highlight here:

1. 'Couple of years' ago, the Octavia was never sold at 'roughly just over the prices of today's Slavia'. In 2019-20, the Style Variant of Octavia retailed at 20.59-21L ex-showroom. The Slavia here is retailing at INR 17.79L. So thats a 3L rupee difference and that too after a good 2 years.

2. I think if we have to compare it with the Octavia (not sure why but if we have to) we should consider 1.4L TSI Manual variant of the Octy. That was around 16.99L if I remember correctly. In 2022, we get a bigger engine, more power, newer car with more features for INR 16.19L (manual 1.5L). So, I think its a pretty good deal.

Finally, I think we should stop living in 2010. Prices of almost every car in the market has gone up and that is the reality. Slavia with a 1.5L DSG at 17.79L is a pretty good deal in my view. If not anything else, let us at least visit the showroom and test drive before going gaga about how overpriced the car is.
Pancham is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 14:10   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
1.5 TSI pricelist for Bangalore:
I will NEVER relocate to BANGALORE!

I am drooling at the performance-price-sedan at the Slavia. This will be my next car purchase if not a proper 4x4.
na_agrawal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 14:33   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetklkrn View Post
My one cent on pricing.
I was waiting for the price reveal of Slavia for a while now. And I am disappointed.
The only thing keeping me from buying a Honda city is the mileage and ground clearance.
Under 14Lakhs I think Honda City 5th Gen is still the best.

Slavia should have priced it a bit lower. And the base variant is really stripped. I think it's 2 - 3 lakhs more than the rapid which it's gonna replace.
2xSamurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 14:37   #155
Team-BHP Support

ACI price checker for the Slavia -

Skoda Slavia Review-autocar_indiapost2022_03_03_14_31.jpg
Source
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 15:00   #156
BHPian

Hello everybody,
Finally, SkodaIndia seems to have got some 'Spot On' pricing this time.

Whatever negativity observed during any such launch at initial stages especially among some preoccupied minds, would surely settle down/ fed away with time once the TDs start & accordingly I'm sure, Slavia also would start gaining initial response in favor from the common Indian buyer, whom any Auto company would hardly dare to neglect these days.

Skoda Slavia has been in the head lines since many days, thanks to the curiosity of prospective buyers & to some mixed kind of hype on Social media also.
I personally think, when the buyers these days are fanatic behind Cross Overs and SUVs with varied nomenclature like Mini/Pseudo/Urban, SkodaIndia's this brave decision to launch another Sedan could have gone stupid if they haven't got the things executed relevantly.

So, my first impression after having an extensive test drive of all 4 test mules is undoubtedly in favor of the Car.

During 24 Feb to 1 March 'The Skoda Slavia World Dynamic Premiere' was organised in Goa. As a part of which Skoda had shortlisted 15 members pan India to form a 'FansOfSkoda' group and further had invited them to the DriveWithSLAVIA event after conclusion of the Media Drive. Being one of those privileged members I also had the pleasure to drive all 4 test mules of Slavia quite extensively on mixed driving conditions in Goa.
We know, all the previous Skoda sedans like Laura, Octavia, Rapid though low on GC, have still been popular more among the enthusiasts just for the great driveability and assured stability they provide during high-speed driving.
This time Skoda designers have worked really hard while presenting Slavia.

By providing the added GC, they have made it relevant to venture on Indian roads and also 'NO roads' with extra confidence.
I guess, Slavia sure has reasons to go for & would prove its own identity and utility as a perfect family car.

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 3rd March 2022 at 15:16. Reason: Correction
Dr.Vikas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 15:26   #157
Senior - BHPian

Nicely done by Skoda, All New Skoda Slavia - TVC

Name:  SmartSelect_20220303153341_YouTube.gif
Views: 1777
Size:  4.80 MB

Last edited by Venkatesh : 3rd March 2022 at 15:35.
Venkatesh is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 15:37   #158
BHPian

Slavia 35 page brochure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf slavia-brochure.PDF (7.23 MB, 1921 views)

Last edited by arjunsatheesh : 3rd March 2022 at 15:47.
arjunsatheesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 16:02   #159
BHPian

First, Thank God for Skoda completing the launch of Slavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakajale View Post
1.5L MT is a few grand cheaper OTR than the 1.0L AT. Is that not more VFM? It has tall gear ratios to somewhat counterbalance the city driving headache, while the 1.5L is at your service for fun highway runs. Plus no DSG failure worries. Am I missing something? .
I have not test driven Slavia but driving currently 1.0 MT and with its gearing ratio, it is quite easy to drive in City traffic like Chennai. You do not have to downshift often or ride the clutch for speed breakers and can comfortably drive around in higher gears. The efficiency I got is 12+ Kmpl purely in City driving mode. I believe turbo kicks in only around 1800 rpm and hence this may be the reason for better FE. So my belief is 1.5 MT will be better in City conditions and will be best in Highways. Do a detailed test drive and decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Looks expensive, but still cheaper than Taigun or Kushaq top end. TD car isnt available yet hence I am waiting to take back to back test drives of the 1.0AT and 1.5 DSG to understand if the 3L premium is worth it or I should settle for the 1.0AT and relieve myself of the DSG fear.
If it is purely 'fun' to drive car and better reliability at least in paper you are looking at 1.0 AT. However if you are buying a 'family' sedan, please check the engine noise at start up for 1.0 by standing outside. My wife is not happy with it in Kushaq itself and still teasing me that it is a diesel.

For a family sedan, it may be a deal breaker for some especially if they check out Honda City at the same time. 1.5 is more calm and refined but not to the level of City.
thanixravindran is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 16:23   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I was checking the Autocar review. It stated that the manual had tall gear ratios for fuel economy which when coupled with the minor lag below 1800 RPM is responsible for the slower time. The DSG, which has shorter ratios since it has 7 instead of 6 gears along with the lightning quick shifts, can definitely result in some 8.xx seconds which is definitely believable.

Can't wait to check it out.
But wouldn't there be a failsafe in DSG which prevents hard take-off from 0 to prevent damage to the gear-box?
Old 3rd March 2022, 18:50   #161
BHPian

I’m wondering why were Octavia 1.4 tsi, A3 & A4 1.4 despite being much heavier than Slavia were faster in 0-100 timings and top speed. Also considering the fact that 1.5 Tsi is an upgrade for 1.4 tsi and the platform is also the latest(lighter in weight).

Last edited by divyadeeptsi : 3rd March 2022 at 19:03.
divyadeeptsi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 20:49   #162
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsna777 View Post
Skoda claims 1.5TSI 0-100 in 8.8s. AutoCar India tests says 9.4s. which Ones to believe
Does it matter ? Why are "enthusiasts" obsessed with 0-100 timings of a FWD pre-midsize family sedan ? I've seen fanboys of one 100bhp hatchback mocking another set of fanboys of a 90bhp hatchback, because it was 0.2 seconds slower to 100kph.

This is not Koenigsegg or Bugatti.
0-100 doesn't matter.
venkyhere is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 10:08   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
0-100 doesn't matter.
At the risk of going off-topic, a short note.

I agree with you that a single number representing 0-100 does not matter.

But when taken along with timing figures for a bunch of various other ranges, like 80-120, 100-160, 40-100 etc, it gives a pretty good ballpark indication of the performance of the car in the real world. An indication probably more valuable than the on-paper peak power/torque figures.
PearlJam is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 10:56   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Does it matter ? Why are "enthusiasts" obsessed with 0-100 timings of a FWD pre-midsize family sedan ? I've seen fanboys of one 100bhp hatchback mocking another set of fanboys of a 90bhp hatchback, because it was 0.2 seconds slower to 100kph.

This is not Koenigsegg or Bugatti.
0-100 doesn't matter.
With all due respect, while I agree that there are many factors that contribute to 0 to 100 in a FWD car and hence this does not make full sense, there are no other metric that’s been published by Indian media which shows the performance. A quarter mile would be a better parameter, but how many do that test. The in gear acceleration is also dependent on other factors.
So for a person who owns a 90 bhp hatchback this number might still be relevant and decision making factor while comparing with rivals. So it is not right if we say 0 to 100 matters only for super cars.
Personally I feel it’s better if for all cars 0 to 100 timings are published, rather than everyone trying to find out the numbers themselves on public roads.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 13:00   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Skoda India has revealed the prices for the Slavia 1.5 L TSI, starting at Rs 16.19 lakh for Style MT and Rs 17.79 lakh for Style DSG.

The Slavia 1.5 TSI is only offered in top-spec Style trim.

The Slavia 1.5 TSI commands a premium of Rs 2.20 lakh over the manual 1.0 TSI variant, and Rs 2.40 lakh over the automatic version.
The pricing of Slavia 1.5L TSI makes it look like a C-segmenter trespassing into the D-segment area without having enough credentials. Skoda is trying to be clever here by creating an independent space for Slavia and Octavia due to lack of competition. Fortuner-Endeavour situation feels the same.

For instance, for me the only real upgrade over my Honda City would be the Octavia, however, I don't have 30 big ones to splash on it. That's why as consumers we needed the Civics, Eleantras and Altis to occupy the 20-30L sedan space. Without real competition, Skoda is attempting to dilute the segment with Slavia 1.5, while the worthy Octavia remains out of reach for most of the future upgraders like me. The 1.8L Civic even with the CVT would have been a good enough option for me in the 20L range if Honda had not pulled the plug. Spectacular handling, build, looks and practicality.
aniket13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks