Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2022, 13:05   #166
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
[center]

Noise, Vibration & Harshness (NVH)

The 1.5L TSI is overall refined. It's a lot smoother than the 1.0 TSI which has some 3-cylinder vibrations. All the vibrations are well controlled and so is the engine noise inside the cabin. At high revs, the engine note sounds sporty.

Mileage & Fuel Economy

Skoda has given the 1.5L Slavia Active Cylinder Technology. When cruising calmly on the open road, the ECU shuts off cylinders 2 and 3 to reduce fuel consumption.

This might be a noob question, any change in the NVH levels when the ECU shuts off 2-3 cylinders? As in running on 2 cylinders does it vibrate more?
Old 4th March 2022, 13:08   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
This might be a noob question, any change in the NVH levels when the ECU shuts off 2-3 cylinders? As in running on 2 cylinders does it vibrate more?
My understanding is that the pistons in the shut down cylinders still rotate, just that there is no fueling happening. So essentially it is still running like a 4 cylinder engine.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 13:12   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsna777 View Post
Skoda claims 1.5TSI 0-100 in 8.8s. AutoCar India tests says 9.4s. which Ones to believe
Autocar tests performance figures with 90% Fuel Load.

Manufacturers do not have any such obligation.
abhishek46 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 14:23   #169
Senior - BHPian

Just had a good 10KMs TD of the Slavia 1.0 TSI AT. Below are my 2 cents:

1. The car even though is longer it still looks just like a C segment car. Same dimensions of old Octy I did not see playing. It could be because the bonnet slopes towards chin and looks shorter for that overall length. I could see Rapid/Vento resemblance in that part

2. The steel Grey color is my personal favorite. Looks very elegant and underrated. Not too much in your face

3. The width again even though widest in its segment, is not Octavia/Jetta kind. With that SUV kinda of GC the overall harmony of the design is imbalanced. The car looks weird from side angle thanks to this

4. The steering wheel is NICE but does NOT provide much feedback. Just like any German car quality BUT the rest of the interior trim is just low rent. I could easily flex/move most of the plastic trim. This in no way feels like a 21L OTR (1.5 + DSG) car if you look at interiors in isolation. The sunroof even though not panaromic is decent enough to keep most of the people happy. Again, the curtain adjustment is manual here. And it still moves around if you nudge it with force

5. Given the bonnet curves, you do not get to see much of it. The windscreen somehow feels a tad under size to me. It could be because I was at the highest setting of the seat. Overall, you get to see much of the area around

6. The sound system is very good for a stock setup. It will keep majority of people satisfied with some tweaking around if required

7. The boot space is good and can gobble up a lot of luggage. I had Jetta before and its in another league but again its a much bigger car than Slavia. So no complaints here

8. The infotainment system placement is good and does not bother you much. The quality if this unit is good and its quite fluidic. Gets all the latest and greatest features

9. Now coming to the drive - The 1.0 tsi motor feels adequate and I see max people would opt for this combo of 1.0 + TC. It does not have that aggressive crawl of Polo 1.0 tsi but moves pretty well without applying accelerator. VW-Skoda has tuned this 1.0 + TC quite well and it feels very peppy if you are in right RPM band. We were only 2 in the car so do not know if it would struggle with 5 + luggage. Overall, I liked the way it drove. I did not feel I am missing on power in traffic as well as on open highway. However, I felt the car was a bit bouncy when driven hard over not so good road. I hope lowering kits and stiffer suspension would be available for this car. The engine is vocal when you go aggressive on the pedal and at times it sounds like its staging a protest. I guess the 1.5 + DSG would be better in this aspect

10. The FE at the end of the drive was like 10 kmpl but with sedate driving and 2-3 folks onboard, I see you can easily get 12-13 from this car. Of course its not right to judge just based on this drive alone. May be Kushaq users can throw some light on FE based on 5000-10000 KMs running

11. Overall, I feel this car is a good alternative to City-Verna-Ciaz trio. It gets most of the things right. I hope they would improve on the interiors to make this look like the price its asking. Verna interiors feel much better put together and of better quality

12. I feel 1.5 TSI + DSG trim is the one we should get if budget is not a constraint. Otherwise even a 1.0 will keep majority happy

Last edited by neoonwheels : 4th March 2022 at 14:39.
neoonwheels is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 14:31   #170
BHPian

I would go with Honda City, since
- Wait for atleast 6 months for Skoda to iron out niggles which will be there
- Active variant is just for show & only few would be able to own due to inflated waiting periods by Skoda (rather this is the current norm by every automaker).
- With range starting from Ambition trim, City makes for a better package at that price point
Old 4th March 2022, 14:49   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Based on my experience with the VW T-Roc in Germany with the same engine, the cylinder shutoff only happens on constant cruising and when accelerator is slightly pressed. In this scenario the engine hardly makes any noise, and the difference is hardly felt when the ACT kicks in. There is no difference to vibration. The only difference you would feel that too during driving in a very silent area is that the exhaust note changes since the combustion in the two cylinders is stopped. And I could observe this only when I really started keeping an attention on the exhaust note. Otherwise, the switch between two cylinders and four is absolutely seamless
audioholic is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 22:21   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakajale View Post
1.5L MT is a few grand cheaper OTR than the 1.0L AT. Is that not more VFM? It has tall gear ratios to somewhat counterbalance the city driving headache, while the 1.5L is at your service for fun highway runs. Plus no DSG failure worries. Am I missing something? Newbie here so looking to understand some more perspectives on this. Source for OTR prices: CarDekho.
That list does not correspond to the one I got from my dealer. The one that I have suggests that 1.5MT is around 80k dearer.
Old 4th March 2022, 22:39   #173
Senior - BHPian

Had a quick look at the Slavia at the Mumbai airport, my view is that it’s a mixed bag.

First, the car looks good, this is how cars need to be made, the design is cohesive, and will easily stand the test of time, just like the Polo and the Vento. Inside the car, I liked the dash, it’s got a very simplistic design, yet has some contemporary elements like the contrast strip running in the middle, the circular AC vents and also the huge tablet like screen. So it’s not a boring place to be in. I’m not sure about the touch panel that is used for the automatic climate control unit, traditional dials are much easier to use without taking your eyes off the road. In fact, I really liked the new Baleno’s climate control unit, a bit fancy. Anyway, one may still get used to it in the Slavia over a period of time. What I absolutely found cheap were the power window buttons, they just felt very tacky and for some reason I found each of the power window buttons on the driver’s side to be very cramped and small. Secondly, the famed European style headlight knob felt very flimsy. Now, I distinctly remember the very same part that I used in my 2012 Rapid and I can tell you that surely the quality is not at par.

The doors felt heavy, I could not really say if it felt lighter than that of the Rapid, but it seemed only as good as my current car, a 1st Gen Creta. I feel at times people give too much importance to the so called “thud”, this word has now been overused by all you tube reviewers without the right knowledge and context.

The boot felt a lot lighter, but it could also be due to the certain “springy” action it had. Not very sure.

All in all, I wouldn’t say the car has been compromised too much as such, feels good in most places. I can state confidently that the Slavia does not feel in anyway inferior to the Rapid, in most aspects. It’s a modern replacement for the Rapid, much larger, has all the required features and a bit more. It’s been compromised in some places, but it’s not that evident.

It’s a great alternative to the Verna and the Ciaz. I don’t know about it being better than the City though.
motorworks is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 06:33   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
At the risk of going off-topic, a short note.

I agree with you that a single number representing 0-100 does not matter.

But when taken along with timing figures for a bunch of various other ranges, like 80-120, 100-160, 40-100 etc, it gives a pretty good ballpark indication of the performance of the car in the real world. An indication probably more valuable than the on-paper peak power/torque figures.
The real world performance is as much or more about the driver skill and experience , the road surface conditions, weather and traffic conditions and about the maintenance and usage history of the car than about the designed mechanical capability itself. When you are accelerating from 60 kph and a tempo blocks your path and you try to avoid it, or if you hit a bump or a pothole and you steady your steering while modulating accelerator or brakes, then these F1 lap timings become academic.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 5th March 2022 at 06:35.
Old 5th March 2022, 08:28   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
The real world performance is as much or more about the driver skill and experience , the road surface conditions,........When you are accelerating from 60 kph and a tempo blocks your path and you try to avoid it,
I don't fully agree with this. Not all performance numbers are academic in nature. Personally, I would not raise an eyebrow over a one second loss in 0-100 time. However, the >5s difference in in-gear roll on between the City and Slavia is an impressive figure I would put to use on the highway or even in the city.

And I don't understand how you can bring in external conditions into picture to downplay the numbers. If a Tempo blocks me in a Slavia, I would still fly off faster when he makes way or I make it, compared to being in another car which is slower. Let's not make external conditions an excuse please.
audioholic is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 09:00   #176
BHPian

1.0L turbocharged gdi is so much stressed out that longevity is a big concern here. Considering Skoda is in general an unreliable car maker I wouldn't risk my money with this car.

Although it's worth appreciating that sedans are launching again and to me personally the mini/pseudo/false SUVs never appealed much.

At this price point, Honda City is still what I'd pick. Looks like it's a long road for Skoda/VW to build their trust amongst customers. They will have to fix their root to make reliable cars.
pta320 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 09:52   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If a Tempo blocks me in a Slavia, I would still fly off faster when he makes way or I make it, compared to being in another car which is slower. Let's not make external conditions an excuse please.
+1. Also, after crossing the speed bumps, how quickly can you get off the blocks depends on your ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pta320 View Post
1.0L turbocharged gdi is so much stressed out that longevity is a big concern here. Considering Skoda is in general an unreliable car maker I wouldn't risk my money with this car.

At this price point, Honda City is still what I'd pick. Looks like it's a long road for Skoda/VW to build their trust amongst customers. They will have to fix their root to make reliable cars.
The Kushaq/Slavia should come out quite reliable, assuming the sound mechanical underpinnings of their earlier products have been carried over. They haven't got off to a great start with the India 2.0 strategy. Many of us have bashed Skoda already for want of more premium feel for the asking price, and few niggles in the initial lot, but those are on different aspects. I would like to believe that Slavia from start should be quite a niggle free product, based on their experience with Kushaq, especially since they seem to have addressed a few issues already.

So, making a blanket statement like this is not warranted. We make our decisions based on our requirements. If a Honda City fits your bill, so be it. Fact remains that 1.5L Tsi Slavia is the best option for a performance sedan one can buy today for 2 million bucks and we should appreciate that we have this option.

Life is too short not to be driving fun cars. I will take that extended warranty and fly for some time, and more!

Last edited by stringbh : 5th March 2022 at 10:03. Reason: grammar
stringbh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 11:33   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Had a quick look at the Slavia at the Mumbai airport, my view is that it’s a mixed bag.

First, the car looks good, this is how cars need to be made, the design is cohesive, and will easily stand the test of time, just like the Polo and the Vento. Inside the car, I liked the dash, it’s got a very simplistic design, yet has some contemporary elements like the contrast strip running in the middle, the circular AC vents and also the huge tablet like screen. So it’s not a boring place to be in. I’m not sure about the touch panel that is used for the automatic climate control unit, traditional dials are much easier to use without taking your eyes off the road. In fact, I really liked the new Baleno’s climate control unit, a bit fancy. Anyway, one may still get used to it in the Slavia over a period of time. What I absolutely found cheap were the power window buttons, they just felt very tacky and for some reason I found each of the power window buttons on the driver’s side to be very cramped and small. Secondly, the famed European style headlight knob felt very flimsy. Now, I distinctly remember the very same part that I used in my 2012 Rapid and I can tell you that surely the quality is not at par.

The doors felt heavy, I could not really say if it felt lighter than that of the Rapid, but it seemed only as good as my current car, a 1st Gen Creta. I feel at times people give too much importance to the so called “thud”, this word has now been overused by all you tube reviewers without the right knowledge and context.

The boot felt a lot lighter, but it could also be due to the certain “springy” action it had. Not very sure.

All in all, I wouldn’t say the car has been compromised too much as such, feels good in most places. I can state confidently that the Slavia does not feel in anyway inferior to the Rapid, in most aspects. It’s a modern replacement for the Rapid, much larger, has all the required features and a bit more. It’s been compromised in some places, but it’s not that evident.

It’s a great alternative to the Verna and the Ciaz. I don’t know about it being better than the City though.
I agree with most of the points here including the power window buttons being cheap. I actually quite liked the cabin. In comparison, the City cabin feels dull, dated and unremarkable. Also, I am not sure if there is a significant difference in the cabin space. Maybe the smaller window glasses give a less roomier feel to the slavia. I sat in a Diesel ZX and was unimpressed. Planning to TD a CVT before I take the final call.
travelex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 12:22   #179
BHPian

Hi all,
I had compiled this during the Skoda Kushaq launch days. I then had it shared here to the respective thread.

This time being one of the first few privileged members to test drive and explore All New Skoda Slavia, took liberty to modify it in correlation with Slavia and sharing here once again.
Hope, you'd like it.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-screenshot_20220305031009.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 5th March 2022 at 12:24.
Dr.Vikas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 14:01   #180
BHPian

For the very first time, Honda has put its City for display in our society (Konark Campus, Pune). Is this the Slavia effect?

Skoda Slavia Review-photo_20220305-13.56.42.jpeg

If so, seems Honda is taking Slavia a little too seriously here as most forum members are still inclined towards the city when choosing amongst the two
shishir333 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed