Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2023, 11:48   #1636

I ran into an issue on my week old Slavia today. I casually went down this morning only to find out the anti theft alarm was activated and the car lights were blinking and the system was making loud sounds. I immediately unlocked and locked the car and it was all fine. Spent an hour trying to figure out what the problem was and I do not think anyone tried to open the car doors. Has this happened with anyone else? My SA at the dealer said it could happen due to rats, or if someone hit the car or if someone leaned on it. I can rule out rats or any hit to the car and when I leaned it for several mins, the alarm did not go off. I am worried now because if I had not noticed it, the car battery would have drained (since my car is in a remote corner of the 2nd level basement). I am now going every hour and checking if it all fine. Any pointers on this would be very helpful. Thanks!

I have a question folks. Is there a way I can get the windows to roll up automatically when I lock the car like it happens on my Honda City? The guy at the dealer said nothing can be done without voiding warranty and I do not want to void the car warranty. However, I feel its a pain to manually roll up all the windows after a drive. My family does not bother to do it because they are used to the windows rolling up automatically. Thanks!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 11th September 2023 at 12:08. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
cityskody is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 12:37   #1637
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityskody View Post
I ran into an issue on my week old Slavia today. I casually went down this morning only to find out the anti theft alarm was activated and the car lights were blinking and the system was making loud sound.
The cars are loaded with electronics these days. One will always run into some issue every now and then. Majority of car manufacturers have some niggles or other.You can use a dashcam and have a portable battery attached to it and give wifi access to it with a dongle.

My colleague had to park his brand new Jeep Compass outside the building and had put a camera with a wifi dongle on it. He used to be at peace as he could access the camera anytime.

I believe the coding to update features on the VW/Skoda cars will not void any warranty. Any Slavia/Virtus owners who have done this? Can you guys update us on the same?
AlokSharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 23:06   #1638
BHPian

Dear Members,

Good Day!

I am considering Skoda Slavia as my next car but I have a dilemma between 1.0 AT vs 1.5 Manual transmission. I would like to give some background before requesting for your suggestions.

I owned a 2017 Honda Jazz for 6.5 years and sold it before a month. Jazz is my first car and served me well without any niggles. In Jazz the second gear was very weak and I always felt there is less than enough push when I put it in the second gear but somehow I got used to it. Off late I got a chance to drive a friend's XUV 500 and Diesel Scorpio classic.

5 months back took the Diesel scorpio for 600 km trip and was mighty impressed by the way the car delivered power. Since that trip when ever I took my jazz for a spin always felt my jazz was very much underpowered to my liking and eventually decided to sell my car before I convince myself to keep it for some more years.

Now I wanted a driver's car which will give me driving pleasure by means of handling and driving dynamics. After seeing a bunch of cars finally it came down between Taigun vs Virtus vs Slavia.

Taigun was ruled out as my better half didn't feel comfortable after a short test drive of 1.0 TSI MT.

Virtus I asked the SA for 1.5 Manual but they only had 1.0 AT, I have never touched automatic till I drove the Virtus. I was really impressed with its smooth drivability and it was very effortless to drive. I felt comfortable with 1.0 TSI AT compared to 1.0 TSI MT.

Slavia After I test drove Taigun and Virtus I went to Skoda to check if they had any 1.5 manual for test drive. But unfortunately they didn't have one but I had a chance to check the car in person. Both me and my better half really liked the Slavia over Virtus.

After reading through lot of team bhp threads regarding the DSG gear box I decided not to go for it. Hence I declined the offer to test drive the 1.5 DSG of Virtus & Slavia as it would put me in a dilemma. so before visiting the showroom I made up my mind to go for 1.5 Manual. But after driving the 1.0 TSI AT i couldn't decide between 1.0 AT and 1.5 MT.

Automatic Transmission seems to be very much comfortable but I can't go for 1.5 DSG as it would be more than my budget and I do not want to be skeptical about the wear and tear issues. Thus the available option is 1.0 TSI AT and 1.5 MT.

I would like to know

1. Whether the 1.0 TSI AT will have the adequate power when needed? or should I go for the 1.5 TSI MT for the sheer power delivery it could offer?

2. How about the FE ? Due to Active Cylinder Technology would the 1.5 MT would deliver more FE compared to 1.0 AT. (Considering the same person/driving style).

I would highly appreciate any inputs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th September 2023, 23:52   #1639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Roc View Post

I am considering Skoda Slavia as my next car but I have a dilemma between 1.0 AT vs 1.5 Manual transmission. I would like to give some background before requesting for your suggestions.

I would like to know

1. Whether the 1.0 TSI AT will have the adequate power when needed? or should I go for the 1.5 TSI MT for the sheer power delivery it could offer?

2. How about the FE ? Due to Active Cylinder Technology would the 1.5 MT would deliver more FE compared to 1.0 AT. (Considering the same person/driving style).
I would choose the 1.5 in any transmission over 1 litre anyday. The sheer driving pleasure with the 1.5 is unmatched. If you regularly take the highway, you would appreciate the 1.5 even more.

Having said that, the 1 litre is no slouch either. If you like the convenience of an automatic more than the extra grunt offered by the bigger engine, then go for it.

Fuel economy for 1.5 manual vs 1.0 automatic will be quite similar, though as per ARAI 1.5 Manual is 18.72 kmpl and for 1 litre automatic, it's 18.07 kmpl.
Old 12th September 2023, 00:26   #1640
BHPian

Quote:
I personally own Slavia 1.5 MT. Let me tell you this, it is a hoot to ride. I rev-match to my hearts content. However, go for an AT if you really prefer it over MT. Torque converters are pretty reliable compared to dct, and unmatched comfort in stop and go traffic is something to consider.

Dilemma between transmission is a rough place to start.

Quote:
2. How about the FE ? Due to Active Cylinder Technology would the 1.5 MT would deliver more FE compared to 1.0 AT. (Considering the same person/driving style.
I personally get an average of 13kmpl in mixed conditions. I love keeping the engine in its powerband. I never expect the ACT to kick-in. With a light foot on the gas, I guess you can extract a bit more. In a stop and go traffic, I get around 8-9 kmpl. These mileage figures are primarily from city and little bit of highway.

If you are going for the 1.5 TSI hoping that you can drive it in ACT/ECO mode most of the time, it will kill all the fun out of it. On a road trip primarily on highway, I guess 16-18kmpl should be a possibility. I haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure how some people claim 20kmpl mileage.
Guppy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 07:42   #1641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
I personally own Slavia 1.5 MT. Let me tell you this, it is a hoot to ride.
Thank you for the recommendation. As you are owning the 1.5 MT can you let me know how the gear shifts are ? Because in earlier pages some one has mentioned it is bit jerky in 1st and 2nd gear.
Old 12th September 2023, 08:17   #1642
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the recommendation. As you are owning the 1.5 MT can you let me know how the gear shifts are ? Because in earlier pages some one has mentioned it is bit jerky in 1st and 2nd gear.
Your profile says you live in Chennai and buying an automatic is better. While I understand the manual will be fun, automatic will be a bliss.

I have switched from Punto Abarth to Slavia 1.0 AT, while I do miss my Abarth, automatic in city traffic is a wise choice. And the AT is very quick shifting and feels seamless. It is surprisingly good on highways as well.

Go for 1.5 DSG if you can, I regret not picking the 1.5. I have a feeling that 1.0 cars have more issues with AC not being very efficient.
punto_ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 08:47   #1643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
Go for 1.5 DSG if you can, I regret not picking the 1.5. I have a feeling that 1.0 cars have more issues with AC not being very efficient.
Thank you for your suggestion I thought the AC issues were controlled to an extent by the software updates.

For 1.5 DSG though I have to stretch a bit in budget my worries are with the wear and tear issues. purely for the peace of mind I didn't look into it.
Old 12th September 2023, 09:09   #1644
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestion I thought the AC issues were controlled to an extent by the software updates.

For 1.5 DSG though I have to stretch a bit in budget my worries are with the wear and tear issues. purely for the peace of mind I didn't look into it.
I have got the AC update done, but its not great. In Chennai weather, we will need a good AC. I have lived in Chennai for 4 years and I know how important AC is! I will let the folks who own 1.5 to comment on the AC performance in their cars!

If you are taking a loan, couple of lacks in a few years might be ok, esp for the automatic in city conditions.

And regarding 1 ltr AT power delivery, its very good considering its just 1 ltr. I have done 3 long trips and one of them with 4 people and luggage filled to the brim and did not feel any issues in terms of power delivery. As this trip was in winter season, did not have huge concerns with AC.

Last edited by punto_ : 12th September 2023 at 09:23.
punto_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 09:50   #1645
BHPian

Quote:
Slotting into the gears seem absolutely fine. No trouble in that regard. Smooth as intended.

The upshifts, most of the time are smooth. I guess it all boils down to the driving inputs. Each car being different, overtime, we get used to it.

At first the clutch was a bit hard for my liking. Also, I noticed that the clutch rebound is strong. Although, I got used to it now.

I would highly recommend test driving the 1.5 MT before considering it as an option. Request the SA for a highway test ride. You can contact me through the vCard in my profile. I would be glad to address your concerns.
Guppy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 09:56   #1646
BHPian

Quote:

After reading through lot of team bhp threads regarding the DSG gear box I decided not to go for it. Hence I declined the offer to test drive the 1.5 DSG of Virtus & Slavia as it would put me in a dilemma. so before visiting the showroom I made up my mind to go for 1.5 Manual. But after driving the 1.0 TSI AT i couldn't decide between 1.0 AT and 1.5 MT.

Automatic Transmission seems to be very much comfortable but I can't go for 1.5 DSG as it would be more than my budget and I do not want to be skeptical about the wear and tear issues. Thus the available option is 1.0 TSI AT and 1.5 MT.
I was also in a similar dilemma and was planning to go for manual 1.5 However as you said it is never available for test drives and if you test drive the dsg it is very difficult to get it off your mind. In the end I went ahead for the 1.5 dsg as that is what I liked most. Currently there are a lot of discounts running and you should be able to get a good deal. Try it with your dealer. If you drive mostly in the city it is best to get an automatic. Definitely there can be some issues with the dsg later down the line but we have got some very good threads on team bhp in how to ideally run it.

There is no issue with the 1.0 AT as such but overall if you can you should get the 1.5 as it is the better engine, and would put smile on your face everyday. Even if the dsg causes issue later.
Peterf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 16:17   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
I would highly recommend test driving the 1.5 MT before considering it as an option. Request the SA for a highway test ride. You can contact me through the vCard in my profile. I would be glad to address your concerns.
Thank you very much for offering to help. I took leave today and almost contacted every dealer in Bangalore and none of them had a TD vehicle.
Old 12th September 2023, 16:29   #1648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterf View Post
I was also in a similar dilemma and was planning to go for manual 1.5 However as you said it is never available for test drives and if you test drive the dsg it is very difficult to get it off your mind. In the end I went ahead for the 1.5 dsg as that is what I liked most. Even if the dsg causes issue later.
You know what, I hesitated to test drive the 1.5 DSG today but my friend who accompanied me pushed me to test drive it citing I should not regret later. I went for a 10km spin and absolutely I loved it. IMHO the D mode itself had lot of power and brought an instant smile and joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterf View Post
Currently there are a lot of discounts running and you should be able to get a good deal. Try it with your dealer. If you drive mostly in the city it is best to get an automatic. Definitely there can be some issues with the dsg later down the line but we have got some very good threads on team bhp in how to ideally run it.

There is no issue with the 1.0 AT as such but overall if you can you should get the 1.5 as it is the better engine, and would put smile on your face everyday.
I was offered 1.05 lakhs offer on 1.0L AT and 93k on 1.5 DSG . This is for May 2023 make. Is it a good deal ?
M-Roc is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 16:32   #1649
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much for offering to help. I took leave today and almost contacted every dealer in Bangalore and none of them had a TD vehicle.
The dealers are not having the 1.5 in the manual variant. You can experience the same in kushaq 1.5 manual if you don't come across any 1.5 manual slavia. The clutch throw and feel is more or less same.
Old 12th September 2023, 18:24   #1650

One update - I got ceramic coating done for my Lava Blue Slavia at Esperto Car Care, Koramangala. It was an amazing job and a place I would definitely recommend to all TeamBHPians. My interactions were with Ms. Yamuna who did a wonderful job explaining the entire process and how I can care for my new car so that it remains in great shape for a long time to come. I went for the Platinum package and was offered the PPF for mirrors as a complementary thing.

Address:
Esperto Car Care - 37, 38, 80 Feet Rd, Koramangala 1A Block, Koramangala 3 Block, Koramangala, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560034

Pros:
1. Very responsive to calls/messages
2. Great job done and very good attention to detail
3. Timely communications
4. Competitive pricing

Cons:
1. They get a lot of cars and sometimes they do not have place to park your car and so you're expected to take the car back ASAP (which actually reflects high on their work).
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-esperto.jpeg  

Last edited by cityskody : 12th September 2023 at 18:50.
cityskody is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks