Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2023, 07:27   #1786
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Question to fellow Slavia owners with the 8” touch screen unit, has anyone explored the aftermarket wireless Apple Carplay / Android Auto adapters available in Flipkart and Amazon ?
I have used the Motorola MA-1 and the AAWireless adapters in my Slavia and both of them work fine. There are a few disconnections that will happen (mostly due to some RF interference) but if reconnects within a few seconds usually and one it's not a deal breaker considering the convenience offered.Both of the however were purchased in the US.
Game_of_Roads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 08:27   #1787

Hello BHPians, Did any of your brakes get wear out in 15k km or less. My cousin's Slavia 1.0 MT has hit 29.5k km now so far and has changed the pads and brake rotors twice. We have had one Rapid and two Ventos before and other cars as well. No cars did fry the brake pads and rotors so soon. High mileage Slavia/Virtus guys, please share your opinion on this. As far as I remember, they usually last 25k km easily.
Old 15th October 2023, 08:34   #1788
BHPian

The Piano Black plastic surrounding the gearlever console in my Slavia is such a scratch magnet and that entire strip looks like a 5+ year old car already. Any suggestions for some kind of wrapping for this ? Has anyone tried this ?

In fact, the piano Black insert on the dashboard in my car has a PPF film applied on it, got it done along with my ceramic coating and that part is still factory clean with not a single scratch. But the detailer said it's not possible to put ppf on the gear console since they can't use water there while applying the ppf.

If someone has vinyl wrap or something of the sort, please let me know, and a few pics would also help !

Last edited by Game_of_Roads : 15th October 2023 at 08:40.
Old 15th October 2023, 09:05   #1789
BHPian

Quote:
Question to fellow Slavia owners with the 8” touch screen unit, has anyone explored the aftermarket wireless Apple Carplay / Android Auto adapters available in Flipkart and Amazon ?

I am looking to get one but really confused regarding the choices available. Amazon has Carlinkit, Ottocast and WQQBFF while Flipkart just has one choice called Etzin. All are priced between INR 6-9k.

Any insights would be very helpful !
I just received my Carlinkit 5 2Air adapter yesterday, got it for ₹5700 during the Amazon sale with SBI discount. I'm happy to report that it works like a charm! I have the S23 Ultra, which has issues connecting through the wire, but works flawlessly with this adapter. It connects in about 15 to 20s once usb is powered on. It is very compact and can easily be stuck to the upper part of the dash recess, next to the usb ports. It stays hidden out of view, while still having enough place to be ventilated to avoid overheating. Oh, and the best part, it works for both AA and Carplay!

Last edited by StripleRider03 : 15th October 2023 at 09:08. Reason: Adding more info
StripleRider03 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 16:54   #1790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game_of_Roads View Post
I have used the Motorola MA-1 and the AAWireless adapters in my Slavia and both of them work fine.
Thank you for the feedback. I was thinking of getting the same from the US but unfortunately do not have anyone known travelling now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripleRider03 View Post
I just received my Carlinkit 5 2Air adapter yesterday, got it for ₹5700 during the Amazon sale with SBI discount. I'm happy to report that it works like a charm! I have the S23 Ultra, which has issues connecting through the wire, but works flawlessly with this adapter. It connects in about 15 to 20s once usb is powered on. It is very compact and can easily be stuck to the upper part of the dash recess, next to the usb ports. It stays hidden out of view, while still having enough place to be ventilated to avoid overheating. Oh, and the best part, it works for both AA and Carplay!
Hi StripleRider03,

I thought no one would reply and ended up buying the same Carlinkit 5.0 for ₹5760 on Amazon after all the discounts. Will be receiving mine tomorrow and hopefully have the same flawless experience. Mine is an iPhone 14Pro Max and the main reason to buy this was to avoid ruining the battery in my phone by keeping it wired.

Will provide an update on this thread after a few days of usage.
Shanksta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 18:00   #1791
BHPian

Quote:
I thought no one would reply and ended up buying the same Carlinkit 5.0 for ₹5760 on Amazon after all the discounts. Will be receiving mine tomorrow and hopefully have the same flawless experience. Mine is an iPhone 14Pro Max and the main reason to buy this was to avoid ruining the battery in my phone by keeping it wired.
It works great with iPhones too, I tried with an iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 Pro Max, so it shouldn't have any issues with the 14 Pro Max as well.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2023 at 23:34. Reason: Grammar
StripleRider03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 21:27   #1792
BHPian

While its certainly convenient to use a wireless Apple CarPlay device as against the wired one, I wonder how helpful it is for the battery life. As far as I know, the battery charging is controlled by the on board charging controller of the phone which ensures that its never overcharged. In fact, iPhone does not charge beyond 80% if the surface temperature of the phone is higher due to higher ambient temperature or heavy usage.

On the other hand, using a wireless car play without wireless charging in place, would actually drain the battery on long drives which would need more charging cycles that would reduce the battery life.

Any thoughts?

PS: Mine is a Rapid Style AT with the ambition type wired CarPlay system.
dwarika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 22:25   #1793
BHPian

Quote:
The Piano Black plastic surrounding the gearlever console in my Slavia is such a scratch magnet and that entire strip looks like a 5+ year old car already. Any suggestions for some kind of wrapping for this ? Has anyone tried this ?

I just saw a video of the new matte edition on YouTube where he mentions that the same part has been replaced by a matte finish. I will have to check if they have done that on all MY24 cars after taking some feedback. I am attaching the screenshot below.

Here is the video link - Jump to 4.45 mins in the video

On a different note, I finalized the loan disbursement on Friday to initiate the process moving of the car from the plant to the dealer stockyard.

I wanted to stand by the rule of going ahead with disbursement only post the PDI, but then was told that they initiate the pick up of alloted vehicle only after the disbursement of the loan. I was tired of waiting for more than 2 months now for the car and after speaking to couple of people who took delivery of their cars in the past 1 year, came to the conclusion that post Covid, dealers are cashing in on demand frenzy especially for the specific variants and demanding loan disbursements to pick up the car from the plant. In the end, I insisted that my down payment will only be released post PDI for which the dealer had no issues.

The dealer also was acting wary of Zekardo PDI where he mentioned that they won't be comfortable with Zekardo connecting a scanner to the OBD port for scanning/checking all the features for the PDI. Found it very strange. I spoke to Zekardo and they mentioned that they haven't faced this with any other Skoda dealer. He even mentioned that if the dealer is comfortable for letting us read their scanner when they are enabling all the locked features once the car un-loads in their stockyard, it should complete a part of their checklist. I have let the dealer know about it. Let's see how the same goes once I am called for the PDI.

I should be taking the delivery around the next weekend. I will update about the same soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-screenshot_20231015_221920_youtube.jpg  

Last edited by AlokSharma : 15th October 2023 at 22:41.
AlokSharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 14:50   #1794
BHPian

Took my Dhanno on a long drive last weekend in a trip of nearly 1500 kms. Below are some of my observations
Pros
1. The car is extremely stable and is a joy on highways.
2. Brakes have excellent stopping power.
3. DSG is very relaxed on highways and the car overall returned an efficiency of 16.72. For a new car which has only run 2000 kms this is fine, especially as I was pushing it around.

Cons
1. The AC could have been better. I normally used to keep it at 22 degrees in our creta but here I have to keep it at 18 to achieve similar levels of cooling.
2. The start stop system gets activated after every car start. It turns off the car after a spirited drive as soon as I stop, not giving enough time for the turbo to relax.
3. Got a high level brake lamp warning error as well as TPMS false warning.

Other notes
We had a new verna 1.5 dct as well and although it is a bit faster than slavia, the overall composure is better in slavia especially ride quality and braking. However verna is feature rich, similarly safe and would be a top choice for average joe.
Peterf is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 17:40   #1795

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapien View Post
1. How good is the AC compared to other cars from Maruti, Hyundai ?
The AC is certainly weak when compared to Hyundai or Honda. I have driven a Honda Amaze for 4 years, and I can say that the compressor capacity is low in VW 2.0. But is it low enough to discard your car? No!

Quote:
2. How long does it take to make the cabin cool on a hot day ?
As a generic statement, you can understand that it will take double the time compared with the Hyundai Creta or Honda Amaze/City. When it takes 5 minutes in Hyundai/Honda, it will take easily 10 minutes in VW 2.0. The primary key is the set temp (in auto mode), which needs to be at a lower degree to make the compressor push cold air at its maximum capacity. And that's the very reason the AC also makes noise. When Honda can make you feel comfortable at 24 degrees, the same comfort is achieved in VW 2.0, probably at 19 degrees.
So, is it only about setting the numbers? No, it's the compressor which kicks at lower settings.
Then what's the problem if it's only setting the numbers in the lower range? The problem comes when Hyundai/Honda needs to be set at 18/19 degrees; you will have a tough time in VW 2.0, as you can't decrease further. Resulting in extra time to cool the cabin.

Quote:
3. Is there a perceivable difference in 1.0 vs 1.5 engine variants w.r.t AC cooling ?
No! I have driven both style variants multiple times, and the issue is the same. As I said, since the issue is in the compressor, the 1.0L tries to cut the compressor for a second or so, during low RPM to pull the car - and this results in bad AC. But its contribution towards the badness of AC is very low, and it's more of a perception towards 1.0L. The AC is equally bad, irrespective of the engine.

Quote:
4. Can the ac maintain cool temperature across the cabin or one feels cool only when air vents are directly pointed towards them ?
The problem is only during the initial few minutes, but once the cabin is cool, you will not like to keep the blower on your face. The chillness is 'over-felt' if it's on the face. The entire cabin gets comfortable, so your worry behind asking this question can be set aside.

Quote:
5. How is the AC performing for back seat passengers ?
Since the rear AC vents are provided, there isn't any special problem at the back. The fan doesn't have a problem so whatever cold air is blown at the front, the feeling is mostly the same at the back. The concern is chillness due to the compressor, which just takes extra minutes, whereas Hyundai/Honda gets to that level faster.

Quote:
6. How are the noise levels of the AC ?
By now, you would know this answer! Let me rephrase in different words, though - since the compressor is on the weaker side (probably done intentionally to extract the fuel economy), we tend to keep the temp readings on lower numbers. This makes the ECU push its maximum power to cool down the cabin. In any AC, faster cooling can only be achieved by rotating the fan faster. In Hyundai/Honda, if we make the AC fan speed to maximum, we will feel the noise, but we rarely do it in those cars. Whereas this setting is frequently done in VW 2.0 cars, resulting in noise.

So, what's the summary?
The AC is fine with the limitation that it will take a few extra minutes to cool down the cabin 'initially'. During this initial duration, the fan runs faster, resulting in extra noise. Once the cabin reaches the desired temperature, fan speed reduces, and there is no problem whatsoever. At lower RPM (irrespective of 1.0L or 1.5L engine), there can be a second or two when ECU cuts off the compressor, but that is a technicality which we will not even realize in 99% of cases.
What will happen if we put 1.5-ton AC and 1-ton AC in the same room sizes? Hyundai/Honda has 1.5 ton, and VW 2.0 has 1 ton only!

In layman's terms, what is done in the AC software update?
All ACs have a thermometer which senses the outer temperature and indicates the AC to cut the compressor when the set temperature is achieved. The software update has set the compressor to continue running a little longer, even after sensing the desired outside temperature. This update has not made the VW 2.0 AC at par with Hyundai/Honda but improved the situation.

Should you reject VW2.0 cars only because of AC?
No! Period.

Thanks, Piyush!
piyushkdwivedi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 18:36   #1796
BHPian

Thanks @piyushkdwivedi for such a comprehensive review.

However, AC performance in Bangalore will be very different from Delhi NCR especially during peak summers. I came back from Bangalore last week and the temperature difference was good 5 degrees in favor of Bangalore. Hence, not sure how the AC will performance during the peak summers in NCR, if you keep it under 20 there.

Would request a few users from NCR, especially 1.0 users, to weigh in here and put an end to this for once and all

Last edited by Explorer... : 16th October 2023 at 19:01.
Old 16th October 2023, 21:20   #1797
BHPian

After driving 13.5K kms in 5.5 months and having the AC update done I will honestly suggest to stay away from the car if AC performance is your primary requirement. It takes its own time to cool the cabin in Delhi/NCR heat.

I try to not park in under direct sun. At home we have covered parking, have been using window shades (Official Skoda accessory) to make it better but the AC is very poor.
sinharishi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 23:57   #1798
BHPian

Quote:

In fact, the piano Black insert on the dashboard in my car has a PPF film applied on it, got it done along with my ceramic coating and that part is still factory clean with not a single scratch. But the detailer said it's not possible to put ppf on the gear console since they can't use water there while applying the ppf.

If someone has vinyl wrap or something of the sort, please let me know, and a few pics would also help !
I am having the same problem. PPF installers are saying No for this area for PPF. Not sure what to do, but this area in Piano Black is genuinely too soft and and gets scratched even with air I feel.

Rachit
Old 17th October 2023, 00:42   #1799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Hence the transmission attempts to slot to 1st and thats not possible in first try hence it fires the solenoid multiple times to get the slot in before the clutch will engage. Hence you will hear this sound a few times especially when the car is above 10kmph. Thats nothing to worry about.
Wow!! I think you have nailed it.
I am able to predict and manipulate the speed of the car for it to stay in D2 on smooth surfaces. You are right, it is on speed breakers or rough patches when the transmission shifts to D1 at a slightly higher speed, lets say around 10-15 KMPh which I am not able to predict. It is also typically these shifts on rougher roads which are jerky or make that noise.

Thank you so much for this explanation. It definitely eases my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Since the vredestein tyres on my car are pretty soft and grippy, I can increase the tyre pressure to even 35.
I have been a bit unlucky here. I wanted to switch to Michelins, but because of stock constraints ended up with Yoko Blueearth AE-51s. Initially the tyres felt ok, but recently I am not sure why have developed this very hard edge even at 32 PSi. Honestly I had to go down to 30 PSi last week just to make the car a bit more compliant. The tyres have done only 6K KMs. I am actually thinking of switching. Even the stock MRFs felt better in terms of sidewall stiffness.

Regards
Rachit
Old 17th October 2023, 02:13   #1800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I am having the same problem. PPF installers are saying No for this area for PPF. Not sure what to do, but this area in Piano Black is genuinely too soft and and gets scratched even with air I feel.

Rachit
These are how bad they look after 1 yr/9k kms even with sufficient care taken. I guess a vinyl wrap might be the only solutionb other than a replacement with the Matt finished one from the video above, but I'm dreading additional rattles and squeaks due to removal and refitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-img20231015152741.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img20231015152731.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks