Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2022, 14:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda City Hybrid Review

Good, detailed review. Kudos

What is the expected Bangalore OTR price of the car? No variant differences at all? If so, would you consider the car well optioned?

Wouldnt mind trading my Jazz for an eHEV Jazz for the city! If they ever release it at a decent price point.

Last edited by sridhu : 2nd May 2022 at 14:10.
Old 2nd May 2022, 15:01   #17
BHPian

A very nicely written and detailed review.

However, it is not clear whether the car will be in hybrid mode or engine mode between 80 kmph and 120 kmph. I expect when the ICE gets directly engaged with the wheels (above 80kmph), the electric motor/battery pack should disengage. Sorry if I am just missing something.
Old 2nd May 2022, 15:17   #18
BHPian

We are looking for a replacement for our 2011 SX4 and had booked the City Hybrid online. Boot space is very important to us and 300 litres seem awfully less!
I checked online and it shows even the WagonR as having 341 litres boot space. Will probably have to check it in person.
On a related note, the SA at Dakshin Honda (Lavelle Road) has informed that test drives for the hybrid will most likely start from next week. Hopefully, I will have better clarity once I get a test drive
curiousElf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 15:50   #19
BHPian

A good car that makes quite a bit of sense in the city (provided the prices make sense). It's a proper Hybrid, on a car that pretty much defines the sedan segment. A lot of people might actually buy it for the e-HEV tag as a show off.

One question - Does this car qualify for green number plates? I'm sure it is not, but I think it should.
Old 2nd May 2022, 15:53   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Does the Li-on battery pack extend further front or is it the size as shown in the picture. Any idea whats the Kwh of the battery.

We know the voltage, which is still a good info.

Was the surface temperature of the battery hot to touch, is it liquid cooled or passive air cooled.

Some how I got a bad feeling with regard to the potential price mark up.

Last edited by aim120 : 2nd May 2022 at 15:54.
Old 2nd May 2022, 16:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepo View Post
Would it not be more efficient to connect directly to wheels (front axle at least) rather than wasting energy in terms of wastages of converting energy in different forms (mechanical to electrical and then again to mechanical rather than mechanical to mechanical)? Other than inefficiency it doesn't seem quite right with the 220kmph speed on the speedometer as even the ZS EV's top speed is 140kmph.

The engine runs in fixed RPM, powering the generator, which is more efficient than running wheels. When hybrid drive detects that running the wheels directly using engine is more efficient it changes to that mode. You can get more detailed working principle in the below video.

pram_ind is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 16:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

I read the battery pack size is 0.78kwh, which is almost 1/4th on the Ather scooter, why the pack looks so large, also I believe it should not weigh more than 10kg(including if any cooling added).

Quote:
Would it not be more efficient to connect directly to wheels (front axle at least) rather than wasting energy in terms of wastages of converting energy in different forms (mechanical to electrical and then again to mechanical rather than mechanical to mechanical)? Other than inefficiency it doesn't seem quite right with the 220kmph speed on the speedometer as even the ZS EV's top speed is 140kmph.
There is no energy conversion in engine mode, the engine is mechanically connected to the wheels via the generator--> clutch--> Drive motor. The generator and Drive motor rotate freely.

In hybrid mode, the clutch is disengaged, in this mode mechanical energy to electrical and back to mechanical conversion happens, also battery gets charged of the excess energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raktim View Post

However, it is not clear whether the car will be in hybrid mode or engine mode between 80 kmph and 120 kmph. I expect when the ICE gets directly engaged with the wheels (above 80kmph), the electric motor/battery pack should disengage. Sorry if I am just missing something.
Engine always connected mechanically to generator, Drive motor always connected mechanically to wheels.

Hybrid mode: Generator connected to Drive motor electrically through electric wires.
Engine mode: Generator connected to drive motor mechanically through clutch.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 2nd May 2022 at 16:47.
SKC-auto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 16:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Some how I got a bad feeling with regard to the potential price mark up.
Me too. Its Honda. I will rather prepare for a rude shock than a pleasant surprise. Their track record simply does not inspire confidence as far as sane pricing goes.

But its not just that, in this mad crunch for semi conductor chips they have gone ahead and added all the tech wizardry they could possibly imagine.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 17:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Honda City e:HEV 0-100kmph test compared with ICE petrol CVT and Manual.

Honda City Hybrid Review-screenshot_20220502170256_youtube.jpg

Honda City Hybrid Review-screenshot_20220502170316_youtube.jpg

Honda City Hybrid Review-screenshot_20220502170340_youtube.jpg

Venkatesh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 17:16   #25
BHPian

What is the fixation with 0 to 100 numbers? I mean when does one really drive the car this way?
Palio_2005 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 18:12   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Nice and very detailed review.
One stupid question though, since between 80 to 120 it runs on engine mode and above 120 in hybrid mode, does it mean the efficiency will be more at speeds of 120+ than
80 to 120?
Between 80 and 120 it runs in engine mode since at that speed the engine is the most efficient. Honda says the engine runs best at cruising speeds with 70% load. This is the case between 80 and 120 kmph. In this mode the mileage will not be same as below and if you do want more acceleration between 80 and 120, it goes back to hybrid mode.

Beyond 120 it uses the hybrid mode but the petrol engine needs to generate power to support the traction motor along with the battery back. Real world mileage may be similar for both.

Quote:
What you are describing is a parallel hybrid or Toyota's Hybrid system that has a mechanical connection to the wheels using a planetary e-CVT gearbox. This is definitely less components than that insanely complex Toyota system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Super review Vidyut!

1. Will Honda honor warranty if battery is allowed do discharge deeply (sticker says drive every 3 months at the minimum). I'm sure they'll have enough monitoring in the car to figure out non usage for a long period of time.
They did not say anything for this but knowing all car manufacturers if they have put a huge sign on the car and you still don't use the car for 3 months they will have a reason to dishonor the warranty. If the don't it's only out of goodwill and good customer service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
2. Why does engine fire up for quick acceleration when the clutch is disengaged below 80kmph? I'm assuming the tiny 0.7kWH battery can't supply enough current to support the full power draw (80kW) from the traction motor?
Yup the battery can't supply the needed juice hence the engine fires up to give that additional power using the generator motor. However why it screams at redline and the correlation is complete internal logic based on power needs and some artificial feel like I mentioned for some driver feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb View Post
Thanks for the lovely review as always. One question though, did you guys find the headroom at rear to be adequate? When we took a test drive, both my Mom and my wife (both around 5'6") were not comfortable with it somehow.
Surprised to hear this as I was easily sitting at the back being 6 foot tall and didn't even find my hair rubbing against the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raktim View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
One question - Does this car qualify for green number plates? I'm sure it is not, but I think it should.
Sadly no. It does not qualify for green plates. Only Pure EV's get that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Does the Li-on battery pack extend further front or is it the size as shown in the picture. Any idea whats the Kwh of the battery.
The battery does not extend further and what you see is pretty much the entire unit. Honda doesn't state the Kwh rating officially which is why we didn't mention it in the review. However international reports claim it is a 0.734kWh battery pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
I read the battery pack size is 0.78kwh, which is almost 1/4th on the Ather scooter, why the pack looks so large, also I believe it should not weigh more than 10kg(including if any cooling added).
Again Honda doesn't specify the weight but online reports say the pack is around 14-15kgs in weight.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 18:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
What is the fixation with 0 to 100 numbers? I mean when does one really drive the car this way?
No offence, but what’s relevant for you might be irrelevant for others and vice versa. Some might ask what is the fixation on mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Honda City e:HEV 0-100kmph test compared with ICE petrol CVT and Manual
Surprisingly all 3 are closely matched

Last edited by sunikkat : 2nd May 2022 at 18:55.
sunikkat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 19:01   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely, detailed review, Viddy !

one comment looking at the specs: this looks like a Sedan with the boot of a hatchback ! Big downer that, considering that many of us buy a sedan also for the boot-space sedans offer.
Old 2nd May 2022, 19:11   #29
BHPian

Excellent review. All the news focus is on the Hybrid area and rightly so, but I love the 'Sense' suite and it is nice to know the global suite is making its way here. Mahindra made huge marketing noise in XUV700 and hope Honda differentiates this 'Hybrid' variant with these features as well when they reveal the 'sticker' shock.

In one of the rear interior pictures, isn't the center rear seat cum arm rest becomes too low and slanted down to touche the seat itself or is it the case with other Sedans as well?

Overall, I think this will be a good alternative for people especially in Delhi NCR region who are looking for a Diesel Sedan with daily higher mileage (100+ Kms).
Old 2nd May 2022, 19:13   #30
Team-BHP Support

Although the car looks like a slightly embellished City, it was totally different to drive than a petrol car yet alone a hybrid.

Some of my personal observations:

The first thing you realise when you slot the gear into D or R, the City does not creep, it moves with vigour. While positioning the car for the photoshoots, I spent more time modulating the brakes as opposed the throttle.

Driving in Town - it behave like a normal hybrid, the EV mode slips in and out. It was very quiet and refined, It tries to remain in EV model where possible. The battery charge level never went beyond 50% despite a highway run where it could be charged

Highway – As long as you are cruising, it is very calm and serene, power transitions are seamless . Above 72km/h when it slips into the final drive, it becomes very linear to drive and feels normal.

The fun starts when you try driving it like an enthusiast or a yob. It turns into an alien

We were pressing hard on rural roads in order to make it in time for a technical session. If one floored it, the car would increase speed progressively and the engine would scream but there was no correlation between throttle and speed.

During some high speed corners, one's instinct is to throttle steer or lift off in order to balance the car. The City would not respond, it took the corners like a driverless train. The weight in the rear and stiffer springs help. I would have loved to have explored the level of adhesion but not on public roads. (Errm, lets say the it outdid a Civic!)

Cut and Thrust City Driving - It makes the cut without the thrust, it calmly teleports itself into a gap and can respond to aggressive steering inputs at low speeds.

Your Aural-Foot co-ordination will be challenged for a while but as long as you are a mere commuter, this car is perfect.

As I have been telling folks - its been like dating an alien!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
No offence, but what’s relevant for you might be irrelevant for others and vice versa. Some might ask what is the fixation on mileage.

Surprisingly all 3 are closely matched
Honda claim the B.HEV is 0.4 secs faster to 100km/h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Between 80 and 120 it runs in engine mode since at that speed the engine is the most efficient.
Petrols are more efficient at that speed, diesels even more so. Battery faster deplete as it is propelling full time there are no regeneration opportunities hence the fixed final drive (simple but a killer idea).

One UK publication took a BMW 530d and a Toyota Prius from London to Geneva. The BMW was much more efficient.

Last edited by ajmat : 3rd May 2022 at 17:17.
ajmat is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks