Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2022, 15:53   #526
BHPian

Re: Faulty DC fast charging left us stranded

Thanks for sharing these experiences, this discussion indeed helps cross the early adoption barriers and shortens/rather smoothens the learning curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post

I also posted in the Nexon EV Owners group in Telegram, but not many had seen this warning. I later realised that this warning is new to the Max and not there in the EV/Prime.
Where does one join such groups? Is this bangalore specific, or there is a larger nationwide group who reach out to each other in such times of need?
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 17:01   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
Where does one join such groups? Is this bangalore specific, or there is a larger nationwide group who reach out to each other in such times of need?
There is a nationwide group that you can join at https://www.nexonevowners.club/, only owners are added to this group. There is also this public group which anyone can join.

There are other region specific groups too, but the above two are the ones with the most activity.
varkey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 19:10   #528
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

So did the car show the same error again after charging it to 100% when you tried to FC?

Was it a sporadic error or fault with these make of chargers?
sharathkamath04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 19:58   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathkamath04 View Post
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

So did the car show the same error again after charging it to 100% when you tried to FC?

Was it a sporadic error or fault with these make of chargers?
After the fault codes were cleared, the warning in the console disappeared and hasn't come up again yet.

Based on what I gathered, this is due to some in-compatibility with car and the specific brand DC fast charger ie StarCharge. Stations of this brand are mostly deployed by Relux in India. It doesn't trigger this fault all the time, at this point it is not clear what specifically triggers this problem, but many Nexon EV users have been stranded after using these StarCharge make chargers. I would think its something Tata and Relux/StarCharge has to collaborate and implement a fix.

Even with the fault, you can still continue to drive, so just need to keep in mind that if the warning pops up, to visit a Tata SC on the way and get the fault cleared.
varkey is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 22:07   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Even with the fault, you can still continue to drive, so just need to keep in mind that if the warning pops up, to visit a Tata SC on the way and get the fault cleared.
Being the Devil's Advocate here

The thought suddenly occurred to me that this is a (not naming any particular) manufacturer's perfect revenue generation model in the New Age of Maintenance Free Electric
SanSabh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 08:51   #531

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Hi all,
just would like to know if there is a PDI checklist specific to the Nexon EV max beyond the standard one.
Old 7th October 2022, 13:41   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post

What I fail to understand that we are in the age of connected car. What is the limitation that an engineer cannot connect the laptop/software to the car remotely, carry out the diagnostics and clear the codes. If there is a physical failure, then I can understand that a part needs to be changed, but doing so much "tamasha" to clear a code is beyond my comprehension.

Remote infrastructure management is done in IT and telecom as a standard practice, so what stops these guys from doing it. There needs to be a better way.
This is a good point. I believe we can expect vehicles to be purely smart as is with other smart devices. Tesla and few companies are already providing OTA Updates. However, I really wish the troubleshooting process is secured and doesn't make the vehicle vulnerable to cyber hacks that will cause serious concerns.
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 14:41   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whenever I read such such stories about the error codes that can be diagnosed by somebody connecting the laptop and clearing the code in 5 minutes, I feel so

The most irritating piece is that they ask you to tow the car or send an engineer to the site.

What I fail to understand that we are in the age of connected car. What is the limitation that an engineer cannot connect the laptop/software to the car remotely, carry out the diagnostics and clear the codes. If there is a physical failure, then I can understand that a part needs to be changed, but doing so much "tamasha" to clear a code is beyond my comprehension.

Remote infrastructure management is done in IT and telecom as a standard practice, so what stops these guys from doing it. There needs to be a better way.

They theoretically could but allowing remote management of such critical components is a risk for disaster in case some malicious agent hacks into your car. Imagine driving along and your accelerator goes all the way down or your electric power steering develops a mind of it's own.

https://fractionalciso.com/the-groun...0and%20braking.

We all know how unscrupulous some dealers can be here. I absolutely do not want a dealership to have remote access to my car's OBD.

However, in the future, all cars are likely to come with such software anyway once the relevant security protocols have been tested and implemented and laws have been passed governing what they can and cannot do.
Old 7th October 2022, 14:49   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
They theoretically could but allowing remote management of such critical components is a risk for disaster in case some malicious agent hacks into your car. Imagine driving along and your accelerator goes all the way down or your electric power steering develops a mind of its own.
I agree that needs to be accompanied by relevant multifactor security authentications, for a limited period, say for the duration of diagnosis.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 7th October 2022 at 15:00.
Old 7th October 2022, 18:10   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Zeon app, the charger was marked un-available so we thought we'll stop at the next station The whole process took less than 5 min.
This factor makes in most dreadful for having an EV. I must say this is heck of an adventure but fortunately ended well for you for your telegram connection and hats off to the gentlemen who helped out of the way.

I sincerely think that the company should provide a OBD scanner with the EVs and educate the users to handle such situations. Our EV infrastructure is still evolving and lot of standardization needs to happen in charging infrastructure so such issues will be frequent for many years to come.
UD17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 18:56   #536
BHPian

Help me to make the right purchase decision.

I am having a daily drive of 100 Km, 6 days a week. My Renault Captur is still in good condition, has covered 60K Km only. But is now 5 years old and out of warranty.
I am considering Tata Nexon EV MAX Jet edition or Hyundai Creta Knight edition SX plus Diesel. Both are priced close to 22 Lakhs on road.
anilntny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 19:09   #537
BHPian

Re: Help me to make the right purchase decision.

If you have home charging facility, and can manage highway charging situations, EV max could be a good option for your kind of run.

BUT, since the EV scene is changing very fast, if you can hold on buying an EV till early 2024, you could get many more options, and including born electric options vs Nexon, which is a gen 1 car.

60K is on your current car is not much and if it is in a good condition, you may consider using it for a couple of more years.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 7th October 2022 at 19:10.
ajayc123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 20:05   #538
BANNED

Re: Help me to make the right purchase decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
I am having a daily drive of 100 Km, 6 days a week. My Renault Captur is still in good condition, has covered 60K Km only. But is now 5 years old and out of warranty.
I am considering Tata Nexon EV MAX Jet edition or Hyundai Creta Knight edition SX plus Diesel. Both are priced close to 22 Lakhs on road.
You drive close to 25,000 kms a year, but in 5 years Captur has only done 60,000 kms. Unless you have some other mode of transport the numbers don't match up.

Now coming to buying a new car. Your driving requires an EV without a doubt. You will easily save ₹1-1.5 lakh a year easily. Besides your left leg will be thanking you! But isn't it too early to sell the Captur? Not a wise financial decision, but mentally it would be comforting not to pay ₹15000 monthly on diesel as your electricity bill for EV would be about ₹3000-4000.

Last edited by The Rationalist : 7th October 2022 at 20:06.
The Rationalist is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 00:22   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree that needs to be accompanied by relevant multifactor security authentications, for a limited period, say for the duration of diagnosis.
Theoretically, it could be implemented via time based otp that is generated by the car's computers and then shared by you with the service personnel, allowing them access for a limited amount of time. Access would be automatically revoked and connection terminated within an hour of the session starting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-b...-time_password

However, experience has shown that the best way to keep a system secure is to just prevent it from being connected to a network physically. This is the same principle followed by many military bases and govt sites around the world storing classified information on systems that are neither connected to a network nor do they have any ports that you can plug your standard USB or storage devices into.

Granted, this is a bit overkill for a car but it has already been proven that even publicly available systems that are generally considered secure such as the iphone (on which apple has spent a lot of resources trying to make it as secure as possible as a selling point) have been compromised remotely by groups who know what they are doing. And the worst part is that you won't even know it has been compromised until they either make a mistake or they use it to do something malicious that announces their presence. The latest of these to come to public awareness was the pegasus incident : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(spyware)

As stated before, I do believe cars will eventually offer this kind of connectivity in the future but as is usual, technology that comes to cars will be a few years behind what is offered in other devices because they have to undergo long periods of testing to ensure that it will work properly to keep not just it's owners but also other road users and the general public safe. Last thing you need is an hostile country or group remotely hacking into cars and causing death and mayhem because of some international policy that upset them.

A far easier and efficient way would be to just provide a wireless OBD2 dongle that can be plugged into your car and can communicate with a server that allows remote access for the technicians to diagnose. Physically removing the device from the port would mean your system isn't open for remote connections anymore and theoretically safe. Granted, you can also do this today by just buying an OBD2 adapter online and using a paid app to clear the codes yourself and cut the technicians out of the loop entirely.

Last edited by Cresterk : 8th October 2022 at 00:31.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 09:31   #540
BHPian

So EV Owners will be offered with OBD port and Laptop as accessories in future.
coolmind is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks