Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2022, 16:12   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Far too often, we see decisions of car companies being dismissed as thoughtless. My guess is that we don't know enough of the reasons, strategy, or customer base; also the compromises they might have to make due to practical realities facing them (many of which might not be well understood while being outside the system as observers).

Third Row Seats
  • Making a guess here: Mahindra seems to have the side facing thrid row seats in mind, which would come at a later date. They would wait for that untill the crash tests are over, and then add such seats to score well on the seats. Crash ratings have become an important selling (and profit) tool for manufacturers.
  • Another possibility: Who knows that they intended to sponsor a test and give a model of their choice (one with front facing seats) and they got hint of NCAP picking up one on their own?
  • Also consider that front facing seats are seen as somewhat more upmarket as compared to side facing ones (yes, I know that the Fortuner has them). Mahindra might not want to hamper initial perception. The ride quality judgement from side facing seats being poorer could also be a factor for initial perception.
  • The third row not being split folding is a suprise for me too. I wonder if it for keeping intial prices within given thresholds. The design teams need to work in a budget.
It would not be surprising if these changes are made in a latter update along with price increases - incrementally, as a facelift, or some things even as a different variant. With the large sales expected, after-market solutions are also likely to come up.

I have not studied the matter in detail, so might have errors.

Last edited by Poitive : 2nd July 2022 at 16:15. Reason: Minor content addition.
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 17:46   #137
Senior - BHPian

I went to look at the new scorpio N today and it was sadly much smaller than advertised. It was cramped, there were cheap plastics everywhere that already had heavy scratches. I tried rubbing a fingernail across it to check if it was that easy to scratch and sadly it was. There is no way to latch the 3rd row seats upright, you need to prop it up with a suitcase apparently. There is no way any adult human can fit into the 3rd row, the space is way lesser than even the xuv700 and safari and I basically had to hold my legs in the air (I'm 5'8"). Fit and finish were pretty poor inside but the car looked great from the outside. The center screen has big bezels and display quality isnt all that great. The middle seats fold with a single pull but it does so violently, causing loud slams that would make anyone wince.

Honestly, the new Scorpio N should only be considered if you absolutely need the 4x4 equipment and you are sure that you would offroad with it. Else, just go for the xuv700. It does give you 75% of the Fortuner/Endeavour at 50% of the price but you will be reminded of the cost cutting every time you sit in it or you bring friends over. It looks great from the outside though. I know most reviews are full of praise but figured I would just give my 2 cents and not to keep expectations too high from the marketing.

Last edited by Cresterk : 2nd July 2022 at 17:48.
Cresterk is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 18:23   #138
BHPian

Waited for so long but now its here, I am big time disappointed. Despite its humongous proportions, its basically a Creta (5 seater and 450 litre boot).

The non existent boot and no split seat means 3rd row can't be used in any highway journey.

Other small niggle, why couldn't they have provided 12v port in front.

Old scorpio wasn't a family car and the new one also isn't. Will stick to my XUV700 booking despite 1.5 yr delivery time.
varun.petro is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 18:39   #139
BHPian

I saw this in flesh today in a showroom - the Black Z8L Diesel Manual.

Following I found better than XUV 700 AX7L DAT -

- Airiness under the hood
- Ground clearance and the fact that the provided steps do not eat up the ground clearance
- Wheel well wall gaps even after housing 255/60 tyres
- All dark interiors downwards from middle of pillars
- Projector LED headlamps and fog lamps
- The fact that a luggage carrier can be installed on roof rails (in XUV 700s with sunroof it is not recommended to be installed as per the user manual)

All other aesthetics and comfort aspects are better in XUV 700 and some cannot even be compared, like the ICE. The glove box in Scorio N is of cheap kind of plastic and looks totally out of place. Also, the depth of bottom part (seating part) of front seats and entire 2nd row bench seat look about 3 inches and 2 inches lesser respectively.

Given the pitching of all terrain capability of car, missing to equip it with cornering lights is hard to understand. I wonder about the price increase that would have been caused if cornering lights were provided. May be 3K to 4K. Right?

Other omission which are difficult to understand when it is pitched to be a Big Daddy of SUVs addressing the needs of urban and semi urban users and their families -
- Height adjustable seat belts
- Electronic Parking Break and Auto Vehicle Hold
- No AC in 3rd row

May be Mahindra was too conscious about price bracket that it wanted to keep Scorpio N in, so that, just on the price aspects, if not on the other aspects of the vehicle, it could have higher chance of converting any potential buyer. Thus, Mahindra might have chosen to omit the features.

However, one thing, actually two things, I found in Scorpio N which are a complete deal breaker. I hope it was a problem with the unit I saw in the showroom. I was not allowed to take a photograph, though I tried. The issue is obvious after seating down and looking behind the steering column and glove box - In former case there are lots of loose stuff but I could not see all of them clearly as there was a lot of crowd on the driver side. However, on the passenger side, I could see wires, some of them having naked ends and which children can lay their end on. Moreover, all of that is expected to be concealed, if it is not, there goes all engineering down the drain due to lack of common sense. May be this unit may have some housing missing but it could also be that all units have these issues. Now, I also need to look carefully at XUV 700 as such issues might be hiding there too. I am planning to again go to another showroom now and check it. If they permit photos, I will post here.
waypoint is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 18:40   #140
BHPian

Unless you are going to do serious offroading which very few of city dwelling, corporate culture population does, a BOF doesn't make much sense.

No BOF can match monocoque chassis in terms of handling, overall ease of driving and high speed stability.

Drove Landcruiser Prado for 4 years in Kuwait and it wasn't as amazing to handle as say XUV700 or Kushaq.
varun.petro is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 18:42   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post

Honestly, the new Scorpio N should only be considered if you absolutely need the 4x4 equipment and you are sure that you would offroad with it. Else, just go for the xuv700. It does give you 75% of the Fortuner/Endeavour at 50% of the price but you will be reminded of the cost cutting every time you sit in it or you bring friends over. It looks great from the outside though. I know most reviews are full of praise but figured I would just give my 2 cents and not to keep expectations too high from the marketing.
Your post is one of few posts which actually goes deep on the cons of the Scorpio-N. A upmarket Scorpio with leather on the dashboard and stuff and 4x4 as well. But how many 4x4 will actually sell? Few proper enthusiasts aside (Who will actually use it well), then we have few Youtubers and so-called Influencers will buy 4x4 Scorpio-N just for the views and clicks.

I for instance, don't really like the rear design with tall taillights making the rear have a tall and narrow stance. I would happily upgrade to a 5 door Thar over the Scorpio-N and I desperately hope Mahindra makes it a reality. Don't want the carpeting and leather. Just want a rubber matted, more accessible 5 door Thar instead.

Rear side-hinged door is unnecessary now, also the microscopic boot with 3rd row up. Why can't Mahindra solve this boot issue? XUV500, XUV700 and now Scorpio-N has the same boot issue. Less said about Thar's boot space the better. Not to forget, even XUV300 has the lowest in the segment boot space.
dr_TJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 18:56   #142
Senior - BHPian

I own an XUV500, having bought in 2013.

Ref. lack of space in XUV500/700 and now the new ScorpioN when all seats up, this is what I learnt in 2013 when I did my research in both Team-BHP and the dealership:

This is intentionally-designed by MM and not an oversight. The "purpose" of a lack of boot space is to discourage taxi registrations. Mahindra was a bit in doubt about the success of the 500 in 2011 while the car was still in incubator. It was in 2011 Force Motors launched the Force One and this SUV was not well-received by the public. Mahindra feared they cannot do a Toyota and the same fate might fall upon the 500 too and the car would be seen as one fit for yellow-board operations and not as premium upper-middleclass family car.

The TATA Indica/Indigo too was suffering from an image problem then and Maruti had this taxi variant in their lineup, the Dzire Tour to bypass the same issue.

What I am told then was what I have précised ever since with my 500 for it is only the practical way. The car has two usage modes:
The car can be used as a FAT Indian wedding/moviehose/social functions car with all seats up. Pack all your best friends and relatives and go for that short drive. Enjoy gossip, so let me call it the Gossip mode.

Wanna drive it from south Kerala to Gokarna? No problem as long as you can find party of maximum four people (including you) who are genuinely in good deeds with you and who won't sleep till you reach your destination. Once that milestone is achieved, the rest is very easy. Simply pack your bags, fold the rearmost row down and put the luggage on top of it. Ask someone to drive till you get out from Kerala. Once that milestone too is achieved, you will find uncrowded roads. It's time to drive, enjoy the Live young, live free mode.

Therefore people, lament about the lack of boot space only if you can always find more than four such companion souls. In that case consider yourself lucky and I suggest you to look at the Innova or even Fortuner. For all others the dual-mode Mahindras will definitely work. Believe me, that's why I have booked the 700 for replacing my 10-year-old 500. Cheers!
sandeepmdas is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 20:01   #143
BHPian

I would like to share my views on comparison of ScorpioN with Kia Carens since I have booked the Luxury+ 1.4P DCT variant and waiting for the same:

Yesterday, visited Mahindra showroom to have a look at ScorpioN along with my family. It looks big and awesome from outside. No doubts on the massive road presence it will have.
But, the first and very important deal breaker was the fact that my parents found it very difficult to climb into the car.
The 3rd row space and boot-space limitations were instantly noticed by my wife. Since we own an Ertiga, we are used to the flat boot space on folding the 3rd row seats.

Compared to Carens, following noticeable features are missing in ScorpioN:
  • Ventilated seats
  • Paddle shifters
  • AC vents in 3rd row
  • Cup holders in 3rd row
  • 12V charging point in front
  • Sliding option in 2nd row seats

The SA mentioned that Automatic variants are expected to be priced 2lakhs more than the manual ones.

So, even though my heart wants a ScorpioN, the mind and my family say go for Carens for all the practical aspects and features we get over ScorpioN.
Knightrider is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 21:23   #144
BHPian

I hope fam and mind can say 'ignore the complete failure of the Carens at a 65 kmph crash test'.

Meanwhile, features over safety? Finally the frame is part of the crumble structure.. This advancement alone makes it a no brainer doesn't it?
wooka is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 21:45   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
I would like to share my views on comparison of ScorpioN with Kia Carens since I have booked the Luxury+ 1.4P DCT variant and waiting for the same:

Yesterday, visited Mahindra showroom to have a look at ScorpioN along with my family. It looks big and awesome from outside. No doubts on the massive road presence it will have.
But, the first and very important deal breaker was the fact that my parents found it very difficult to climb into the car.
The 3rd row space and boot-space limitations were instantly noticed by my wife. Since we own an Ertiga, we are used to the flat boot space on folding the 3rd row seats.

Compared to Carens, following noticeable features are missing in ScorpioN:
  • Ventilated seats
  • Paddle shifters
  • AC vents in 3rd row
  • Cup holders in 3rd row
  • 12V charging point in front
  • Sliding option in 2nd row seats

The SA mentioned that Automatic variants are expected to be priced 2lakhs more than the manual ones.

So, even though my heart wants a ScorpioN, the mind and my family say go for Carens for all the practical aspects and features we get over ScorpioN.
Same predicament for me. Scorpio N looks awesome from outside. But the 3rd row is basically useless.

My family too feels that Carens is a better choice than Scorpio N.
achilles101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 21:59   #146
BHPian

Your family is indeed correct. Highly disappointed after seeing the product. Even carens, harrier and safari are much better products, forget D segment. Mahindras loud marketing of Scorpio N with tall claims will act as a hurdle for it now I think, they should have positioned it as a value off+highway roader. Heck even the pricing is introductory

If your budget permits then go for xuv700 or look at Safari, great product across price range. Top end Carens is indeed a complete product, however you compromise on Ncap. Imho Ncap rating is utmost necessary if your main usage is highways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post

Last edited by niteshsharmab : 2nd July 2022 at 22:03.
niteshsharmab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 22:15   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.petro View Post
No BOF can match monocoque chassis in terms of handling, overall ease of driving and high speed stability.
Humbly disagree and no need to go abroad. Our very own Hexa AT has proved that a BoF RWD can have superb benchmark level of ride quality, reasonable handling, overall ease of drive with superb high speed stability. It is very unfortunate for us that TATA withdrew this engineering marvel from market. It convincingly bursted that "BoF" myth of having nausea creating bouncy ride we are used to with many BoF vehicle. Endeavour is another example. So, it is about product engineering and not about "BoF".
Arinmech is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 22:24   #148
BHPian

I could see some really passionate comments on the pros as well as cons! I think Scorpio is such a vehicle that evokes this kind of reaction.

I never realized that boot space is such a deal breaker for so many and it was a revelation thanks to this forum. My usage for my current scorpio was exactly as one of our fellow members mentioned; short rides with family and friends and long rides with family of 4 and luggage that works just fine.

Considering that I am also one of the hard core fan of scorpio, just need to respond to one of the comment which mentioned that 3rd row is bolted and will rattle like anything in a while. Well, in my 16 year old scorpio, front facing 3rd row seats are bolted on the side walls and no rattle yet so let's give Mahindra its due as well while we critique for all the good reasons.

I am also surprised that so many people have already passed on the verdict without having a proper test ride. Is it that ride, handling and overall drivability does not count any more in decision making?

Also, pardon me for saying this, I am not even sure that people who are actually considering Scorpio are looking for a true blue blooded SUV or a cross over passed on as SUVs nowadays. I am reading comparision with everything under the sun.

Waiting eagerly for 5th to get my hands on the wheels of this SUV!!
alokk0912 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 22:46   #149
BHPian

Just like Demand = Willingness as well as Ability to pay, Supply = Ability to supply.

When Mahindra doesn't have installed capacity to produce the car then what is the whole point of being eager for it ?

Dealers have been having the Govt office-like attitude in the last 3-4 months. Dealers only can't go too bad because Mahindra is keeping an active track on their operations.

Coming to the car, to me this is a superbly reborn XYLO. They've truly left no stone unturned to promote it aggressively while holding "seemingly" good prices.

This whole Big Daddy branding needs to be downplayed. We Indians are into our 3 generation post independence & vast majority of the new generation has never experienced or this mindset.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 23:12   #150
BHPian

ScorpioN interior/exterior impressions

Reading and watching car reviews is one thing, while first hand experiencing a vehicle is another.

Just checked out the ScorpioN in the showroom. After the show room closed for public. ScorpioN and XUV7OO standing side by side.

1. New Scorpio is a mighty imposing SUV. A lot like the Alturas but perhaps better looking. A lot like those American trucks.
2. Rear view is much better to look at in person. Although, I wish the designers went the 'full monty' and exactly copied off XC 90 in all it's glory. Would have been worth it. Still, looks really good in person, especially in Black.
3. The less that is said about the 3rd row, the better it is. It is not worth mentioning. Sliding 2nd row is a no brainer in this price segment.
4. Fold the 3rd row seats and there is only room for 2 full size check-in baggage. And perhaps 2-3 carry-on baggage stacked on top of those. But, while adding those carry-ons, the rear visibility will go for a toss.

It's as if Mahindra has a deal with the Airlines for baggage allowance. "23kg +23 kg + 7 kg. Ok, +7kg. That's it."

I am waiting for a comparo with the Fortuner in the luggage department. "Asli test". A la Rachit Hirani style of MotorOctane. Matt Watson anyone .

On a side note, XUV7OO will be no better. Perhaps exactly similar amount of luggage capacity, but it is a small class of vehicle. Not the Big Daddy. At least, you get a flatter floor while folding 2nd row seats. In the ScorpioN, you can't the 2nd row efficiently at all.

5. My driver is barely 5'11 and he had trouble sitting on the passenger side. Headroom was a major issue for him. Had just about 2 finger room at best. I asked him to check the front passenger seat headroom in XUV7OO standing next to us. He had an easy 3 fingers on there. Crazy isn't it. We tried different combinations but eventually resigned to the fact that this monster of a vehicle has less headroom in front. That was a wow moment.
6. Steering felt a little smallish but I guess will have a better idea while driving.

Overall, at least, before test driving the ScorpioN, I am in no hurry to cancel my XUV7OO AWD booking.

I felt, many of the other aspects covered in our 'Team' review were spot on.

All in all, as many have pointed out, the ScorpioN is a very good SUV, just, not a complete SUV. Not yet, perhaps, not in this generation.

Yet, IMHO, a 5-seater ScorpioN with flat loading area, could/would be a much better proposition.

7. Ah, yes, the interior design and quality is good enough for our conditions. While you will worry about XUV7OO's interior getting dirty, ScorpioN's seemed abuse friendly in a nice way. Quite likeable and liveable. Wife says, she loved the color combination of the interior and insists I should mention it in bold.
8. Loved the analog dials with digital screen. The plastic cover wasn't so upto the mark.
9. And oh so bad camera quality. But, in my experience with my current Scorpio, we can replace it with an aftermarket HD camera, and get marvellous results in the same screen.

Well, if, after the test-drive I go ahead and book it, it means I have figured out a way to make this a 5-seater and get that flat loading floor.

By the way, has anyone felt that ScorpioN is what the Tata Safari Storme would have looked like had their been a Safari StormeN.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th July 2022 at 06:06. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
fazalmirza is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks