Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2022, 23:01   #256
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As of now, treat this review as "first impressions".

Am going to tell team to fill in details on 2nd row comfort.
Ride quality with respect to Duster is a must comparison for some spoilt duster owners. Driving duster for 8+ years and shifting to new vehicle with lesser compliant ride quality is difficult IMHO.
rooster.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 23:06   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Test drove the car today (for a very very brief period: 5-10 minutes), It was a Z8L Petrol AT.
Oh, saw your Yeti at Mahindra Baner showroom today. My red yeti was parked close by. Missed chance to meet.
Old 5th July 2022, 23:09   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
All I need is a SUV with 4x4 which can seat five members comfortable. Z4 Diesel 4x4 ticks all the boxes for me. Though may have to compromise on the luggage and and other features, I am at peace with it.
Please remember that the Z4 4x4 does not get Mechanical Locking Differential (MLD) on the rear wheels nor does it get Brake Locking Differential (BLD) on the front wheels. This is a big drawback, if you are considering any serious off-Roading. Unlike some other 4X4s, ScorpioN does not get a user-operable Front or Rear differential lock switch. In many situations, when one of the wheels is up in the air, and spinning freely, the MLD / BLD make sure power is sent to the opposite wheel which has traction, instead of simply spinning the free wheel. Nor does the Z4 MT 4X4 get essential safety kit like ESC, Roll-over mitigation, Hill Start Assist or HDC. It is worth paying a couple of lakhs extra and going to Z8 just for the safety features, is not the additional off-road capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post
Has anything like this happened before ? Means giving priority to chronology of "Adding to Cart" in case of a crash. My understanding is if adding to cart had any importance in actual booking, Mahindra would have explicitly mentioned it so that prospective buyers take this even more seriously.
Yes, this is what happened with XUV 700. Many folks added to cart before bookings opened, but many could not check out and pay as the site crashed or became unresponsive. M&M closed the bookings in 1 hour after opening time saying 25K bookings were already over and inaugural prices do not apply any more, hiking prices by 50K when bookings re-opened next day. But then, they called everyone who had added the vehicle to their carts before the bookings opened and offered them the introductory prices, if they completed their bookings in the next few days.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 5th July 2022 at 23:28.
84.monsoon is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 23:55   #259
BHPian

After extensively seeing and driving the car, Don't think scorpio n will get full bookings on day 1. Xuv700 was a stellar product and deserved that response

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Now that people know the system, this time there must be plenty individuals who'd like to "Game" the system because they know the cars would likely sell at a premium even in the 2nd hand market - all at a time when we know that car prices are not going to go down.
niteshsharmab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 23:57   #260
BHPian

Shouldn't they have first discontinued the Scorpio classic rather than giving it a facelift?

ScorpioN lacks the mafia appeal of scorpio classic.
Gaddibuddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 23:57   #261
BHPian

Checked out the vehicle and went for a brief 10 min TD so not going to share much. The dealer had only petrol MT and AT for test drives, diesel MT for display and I am told diesel AT will arrive in next few days. However, I was completely bowled over by the comfortable seats and the brief TD made me giggle a little with whatever ride quality I could test. However, getting in and out was a little difficult for me as I couldn't understand whether I use the side steps or lunge my way in, tried both ways, failed royally and somehow got in, inside was very comfortable and I mini jumped my way out. Treat this statement as a total noob one coming from somebody who does not have much experience with BoF cars. Maybe its like this only or if I own the car, maybe I will figure out a better way. The family would need to be checked for ingress and egress parameter before putting down a deposit on this one.

It did not feel jiggly much and when I took a turn at nearly 50 kmph, the car was composed. Black Scorpio N looked majestic and I did not even second glance the white one. We are a small family so boot space does not bother us as last row of seats will never be used. But boy the commanding view from the driver's seat and the middle row seat quality impressed me. I even forgot the obvious compromises in the features department for a while. The ergonomics were also good and everything fell to hands naturally. I will definitely be TDing the diesel AT one once its available to drive. The petrol AT showed 4.7 kmpl on the display and it was being used for back to back test drives.

Now, I really am in a dilemma after the drive about what to do of my XUV700 booking. After driving this I feel it suits my character and use case much better than XUV700 as I travel a lot both for work and personal trips and Scorpio N felt like it would perform better on broken roads, would need to check this out in next TD. But the features, or the lack of it, are pushing me to stay with the XUV. According to my calculations, my selected variant Z8L AWD AT will cost nearly the same as XUV700 AX7L D AT (my booking) post the first 25k and subsequent price hikes. But what I gain in ability on the Scorpio N is negated by the feature set on XUV700, a very difficult conundrum to come out of. Need to test the Scorpio N more and watch what others also have to say about it!

Also, the dealer was noting down details and they added the vehicle to my cart without any KYC docs, it might have been different for me since I have a business relationship with them, not sure about others. With the vehicle added in the cart, waiting for diesel AT TD eagerly.

Last edited by tp_dominator : 6th July 2022 at 00:11. Reason: Added point about the scene at the dealer
tp_dominator is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 02:41   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Somnath Chatterjee shares his long 2,000-kms highway drive experience from Pune to Delhi in the Scorpio-N diesel AT.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20220706023025_instagram.jpg

He also gave a thumbs up to the ride quality over broken patches, potholes & craters in a subsequent reply to his post above:-

Quote:
better than XUV, less firm but slightly bouncy. Huge improvement over current Scorpio and also better than Thar
RavenAvi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 05:48   #263
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

It would be nice if there could be a shoot out comparison across all parameters between the Jeep Compass and the Scorpio N.
Of course, to be meaningful the comparison will have to be made between matched equivalent variants.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 06:45   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdp View Post
Oh, saw your Yeti at Mahindra Baner showroom today. My red yeti was parked close by. Missed chance to meet.
Unfortunately that wasn't me. I'm in Bangalore.
There are a few FL Yetis in Pune too.
nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 09:22   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post
Exactly my thought as well. There is no other reason for Mahindra to hold price announcement of Auto versions
What you mentioned is logical, but it could be other way around as well. If Mahindra sees significant demand for AT 4X4, they might be able to negotiate better with the supplier and hence maybe able to price it better, but if the demand is low they won't have the incentive to either produce or offer at good price.
Bluebird_7 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 09:42   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Somnath Chatterjeeshares his long 2,000-kms highway drive experience from Pune to Delhi in the Scorpio-N diesel AT.
Would have helped if he had mentioned the speeds he did. Any idea about that ?
Old 6th July 2022, 09:43   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
However, getting in and out was a little difficult for me as I couldn't understand whether I use the side steps or lunge my way in, tried both ways, failed royally and somehow got in, inside was very comfortable and I mini jumped my way out. Treat this statement as a total noob one coming from somebody who does not have much experience with BoF cars. .
Aah, using the side steps.

For me using the side steps is comfortable in two occasions. First is if the vehicle is a like a van or large CV. You can comfortably climb in using the step, with the help of a grab handle. Second is when the ride height is high, but the vehicle's cabin itself is short. So you use the side step, your head raising above the cabin and you go inside like you would in a car. But the old Scorpio fails me big time. For my healthy bodyshape, I am not comfortable using the sidesteps as the cabin space is less and I keep on hitting somewhere. Neither can I climb directly without being awkward or squishing the side bolsters.

But the new Scorpio. Wah!!! . Can walk in with the increased cabin space, using the sidesteps and the perfectly placed grab handles. Call me greedy, but wish Mahindra gave a grab handle for the 2nd row too. And most importantly, ensure the grab handles are there as standard and not just the top models.
DicKy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 10:37   #268
BHPian

I got a SMS today from Mahindra, thanking me for adding ScorpioN to cart which I did not. So, I tried to check online by logging in with my mobile number. The cart was empty but when I tried to add, it said there is already a vehicle added to my cart along with the dealer's name. I had visited this dealer for checking out the ScorpioN few days back.

Now, it seems dealers are adding to cart on their own for all the enquiries they received. If this is true across all the dealers, then Mahindra will not get a true picture of demand for variants and colors as they intended for.
Knightrider is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 10:42   #269
BHPian

So, here is a strange question. I am quite sure I have not read anything on this in any of the posts on ScorpioN.
I dont quite like the alloy wheel designs [both 17 & 18 inchers] on the ScorpioN. However, I love the simple classic ally wheel design on the new Thar. I also remember Pratap Bose mentioning in one of the interviews that the wheel wells on the ScorpioN were designed to handle 17 / 18 /19 inchers.
Question is this - are the PCDs of the Thar alloys and the ScorpioN alloys the same?
Thinking aloud - will I be able to mount Thar alloys on the ScorpioN?!
Kaumad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 11:10   #270
BHPian

Saw this video,

The level of confidence Mr.Velu proposes is majestic.
Good luck to the M&M team for this much efforts.
ash22 is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks