Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2022, 20:52   #391
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

In that case wait for the new crysta to be launched in Diwali

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliavi View Post
That'
On the other hand, I am leaning more towards Innova Crysta now as it has no 3rd row or bootspace or brand reliability issues.

peace
niteshsharmab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 21:26   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
4. During the brief TD, one goods carriage vehicle (ACE or Chota hathi we call it colloquially) was about to cut at 90 degree, but he gave me path indicating you may please go first. These guys usually are not so gentle and this happened first time in my life!
Welcome to the world of Mahindra's SUV's ! 9/10 times, all that I need to do when I am on the bolero is to just flash my lights, not even give a light honk. The roads magically clear out in front of you....
shyamk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 21:47   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshsharmab View Post
In that case wait for the new crysta to be launched in Diwali
New Crysta will be north of 30 lacs I guess and in totally different price segment for the similar safety features.
Old 11th July 2022, 21:48   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
It is about time Mahindra brought out a car configurator and allowed people to ‘build their own Scorpio’. Including all the accessories and tyres and all. That would indeed be the icing on the cake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
That's a really great thought, and it would be brilliant if the mass market car manufacturers could make this a reality.

If laptops can be configured, why not cars.

IIRC, a few years ago, I had read somebody's Porsche car review. The guy had got his car configured to his liking.
I think it comes down to the volume game.
If there is already a huge queue to buy what the company is selling, why would they bother to look out for the few customer who wants to customize?

Case in point, Tata Safari AWD. Many want it, but the company says they will make it only if there is sufficient demand. As long as their 2WD versions are selling like hot cakes, why will they disturb that manufacturing process to make an AWD vehicle? They will come out with this version when the 2WD volume will come down.

If people are willing to pay Porsche money, certainly anything can be configured. That's why firms like DC and many other customization experts exist and are doing business for years.

I had a discussion with a Maruti dealer 1.5 years ago about why they don't have cars with more features available in their product line up. His reasons were many
"my current product line up has a waiting time of many months, my company can't keep up with production, the cost of the vehicle will go up, my m-o-m and y-o-y sales are increasing, no one will buy an expensive Maruti car".
Till the time companies have cars flying off the lots, why will they start a process that needs more work?

The only similarity between customizing a car and a laptop is the ordering part as both are done on a website or an app.
Unlike a laptop that can be customized by 1 person, customization of a car is much more complex. needs more people, time, area. A car also has to last much longer than a laptop (even though some high end latops may cost the same amount as a low end car), people will accept a laptop failure much more easily than they accept failure of a car. A laptop is a fragile equipment, while the car is expected to be robust, reliable and long lasting while also being priced economically.

Read the comments in the Brezza launch section on youtube and you will see what I'm talking about. Most people were roasting the product saying it's too expensive, no one will buy such an expensive Maruti vehicle. They were echoing the words of the Maruti sales guy. People want certain things from certain manufacturers at a certain price point. It takes many years to change market perception. That's why most mass markets manufacturers will not allow minute levels of customization.

Also, if they give all their options available in a lower trim, no one will buy the higher trims which are also the ones raking in more profits for the manufactures.

While it's a brilliant and also a valid ask and would be thrilling for the buyer, the prospect isn't all that appealing for a mass market high volume manufacturer, but I would not be wrong to assume that you already knew this while asking for a customized vehicle.

Last edited by PowerSpike : 11th July 2022 at 21:52. Reason: Missed including the closing paragraphs.
PowerSpike is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 23:04   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
So for a usage of one lakh kilometers it should be Rs 1 - 1.5 lakh higher fuel costs, which should be easily nullified by lower insurance and maintenance costs vs the other options.
How will the insurance be lower here compared to other options? Isn't that calculated irrespective of car models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Smaller tyres, 43bhp less, less kerb weight and the presence of a sixth gear (which was not there in the 120bhp variant of the old Scorpio)
There is Scorpio Classic which is 140bhp and has a 6th gear too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
It is a heavy BOF, RWD vehicle. Scorpio was never really known for it's efficiency after all.
Not really. Scorpio Classic 140 bhp 2.2 mHawk gives a decent average 14kmpl.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 11th July 2022 at 23:09.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 23:21   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Not really. Scorpio Classic 140 bhp 2.2 mHawk gives a decent average 14kmpl.
Yeah, Sorry Boss, that's likely the manual's figures you're talking about. Big Turbo diesel manuals tend to be amazingly efficient, as you can just stay in one gear throughout, and in traffic that low end torque lets you stay in 2nd and just drive with the clutch.

But add a torque converter's fluid coupling takes off a fair bit of power and mileage. I've heard figures of 8-10 average from owners. Plus, here's a screen grab from youtube...

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-20220711-231533.jpg

But, I admit, I could have been more specific, I didn't specifically say the Scorpio Automatic. Mea Culpa. I'm expecting the manual's figures to be better.

Last edited by vivekgk : 11th July 2022 at 23:32. Reason: slight edit
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 23:43   #397
BHPian

Quote:
How will the insurance be lower here compared to other options? Isn't that calculated irrespective of car models.
Since the mileage comparison was with Fortuner, my reference for insurance and maintenance cost was also a Fortuner or similar vehicle costing much higher than ScorpioN.

Last edited by Axe77 : 12th July 2022 at 08:34. Reason: Multiple typos. Please do review the post before submitting. Thank you.
Old 12th July 2022, 00:55   #398
BHPian

I could see in many YouTube videos that the auto-journalists drove the cars through heavy torrential rain or dense fog. But they remained silent on how the all LED headlights worked under such weather conditions.

Any idea or reviewers experience on this aspect?

And is it true that the Fog lamps work like cornering lamps? One reviewer claimed that in one YT video.

Is Petrol Z4 AT a good budget option for NCR buyers? Or too many compromises to be accepted? I don't need this sunroof (though I started liking the sunroofs after sitting inside the XUV 300 few weeks ago and now in this Scorpio N). I need the power folding type ORVM which is missing in Z4. No TPMS either.

Is the ignition key slot/ start PB illuminated? I missed to check it during the TD.
RijuC is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 07:11   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is Scorpio Classic which is 140bhp and has a 6th gear too.
I meant the lower variants of old Scorpio that had 120bhp and 5speed gearbox. Guess till the S7 variant. The 140bhp and 6 speed were available from S7 onwards. Just like how the Z4 is now, the S7 had both the tunes, weirdly.
Old 12th July 2022, 07:32   #400
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

LED lights look nice and modern and in a way are bit of a style fad. No doubt.

But I state here from experience that they are genuinely useless is heavy rain, misty and foggy conditions, for example in the hills, where it is absolutely pitch dark by 630 Pm in the rainy season.
Personally I would always prefer bright white halogen lamps for my headlights.
Maybe an additional set of amber fog lamps as well though I haven’t got these yet.

Quote:
I could see in many YouTube videos that the auto-journalists drove the cars through heavy torrential rain or dense fog. But they remained silent on how the all LED headlights worked under such weather conditions.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 08:34   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
.. they are genuinely useless is heavy rain, misty and foggy conditions,
Agree. And to make matters worse, the high-beams, and the light that blinds on-coming drivers.

Is there anyone who can drill down that point into the heads of car manufacturers ? Most car buying public just go with with what "looks" nice rather what works.
condor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 08:53   #402
BHPian

Can we change this LED lamps to Halogen ones in the headlamp and Fog lamp set-up of Scorpio N?

Whether it is possible in the Projector headlight part?
(Sorry, my queries might sound childish, I have very little understanding of Automotive lighting).
Old 12th July 2022, 08:57   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can we change this LED lamps to Halogen ones in the headlamp and Fog lamp set-up of Scorpio N?.
From what I have heard:

Reflectors are designed for the type of bulb being used. Hence whenever there is a change (LED instead of halogen, or halogen to LED) even if you can change, the lighting pattern and throw will not be as good as with the original bulb type.

Alternate is to replace with LED of lower color temperature (4300k)
condor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 10:36   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Alternate is to replace with LED of lower color temperature (4300k)
A bit off-topic, but to continue on white LED lights:

Once I saw yellow transparent plastic glued to Brezza in Varanasi in January 2021.

As Gangetic Plain suffers severe fog issues during winter, I am unsure how new-age vehicles manage with white headlights. I struggled with stock halogen lights on my Zest; the high beam was also useless.

No idea about the effectiveness of that Jugaad, but if it works, it's the easiest solution.
Old 12th July 2022, 10:53   #405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post

But add a torque converter's fluid coupling takes off a fair bit of power and mileage. I've heard figures of 8-10 average from owners.
The new generation of SUVs from M&M seem to have improved on FE for their Torque Converter ATs. I have a new generation Thar with the Diesel Auto. It is easily able to do 9-10 kpl in heavy city traffic. On highways at a steady 100kph, it does 13 kpl and even more if you lower speed to 90 kph. This is despite the poor aerodynamics of the Thar and all the 4WD gear on board. Granted the ScorpioN is heavier but all things considered, a 2WD Diesel Auto version will probably do quite well on the FE front.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 12th July 2022 at 10:55.
84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks