Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2022, 13:36   #496
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
This is the Monastery Escape expedition that's part of the Mahindra Adventure calendar.
I am also following this on one of the Youtubers' channels. So far all of the Youtubers/auto channels who reviewed the Scorpio N had only good things to say about this car (apart from the few well known issues like 3rd row space, no sliding seats, some other missing features etc.), so I am really curious to see if any real niggles come up during this drive. I have seriously started to doubt these reviews now, how can it be so positive

P.S : I have test driven the Scorpio-N twice in the last 2 weekends and just loved it!

Thanks,
Dheeraj
DheerajNK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 14:19   #497

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdB1991 View Post
Have asked the SA to arrange a more engaging and longer test drive once the rush is settled down. Have added the Z8L AT variant in the cart; though I know I would not book the same in initial 25,000 bookings as I don't feel Innova should be replaced this year. Also, I am hoping some of the features could be added in both XUV 700 and Scorpio - N in the near future where I would feel the wait was worth it (though the prices at that point might change my mind again).
Quick Update, I got a call from Dealership yesterday wherein they asked about my experience and feedback which will be shared with the Mahindra as per the dealership.
The dealership confirmed that longer test drive is not possible as on date (18th July) and they are not sure when the same will be allowed by the company. Had mentioned to them that the vehicle is great but they need to add certain features to make it more attractive for customers (like telescopic steering, 360 camera, 5 seater version or a flat fold split rear seat option). Don't know if they are actually going to share the feedback or not but if they do, it would be wonderful as I think the company would seriously work on it and maybe a Z10/Z10L is on cards in near future? That would make it a much better package to buy.

For now, the car is still added in cart and I have changed the colour from Forest Green to White; but I am 100% sure now that I'm not going to be booking this in the first 25,000 or even 50,000 batch. Hoping that certain features are added with time and also get to know ownership experiences before deciding on the purchase.
AdB1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 14:40   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post

I am at a phase of life (39 years old) where my next few vehicles would provide me best and probably the last (hope not) opportunities to realise all those tough terrain dream drives like Ladakh, Spiti, Chandratal, Northeastern states and many more. I understand that all are doable on FWD, but 4×4 gives that added peace of mind. An out and out highway cruiser can wait for sixties. How many of you think age is an important variable while zeroing on a prospective vehicle buy?
Even I am in the same state of thoughts as you are. but, having driven Duster for 8 years and still having it makes me not impressed with the ride quality of the SCORPIO-N. I am used to throw Duster at 80+ speeds round the corners and any undulations of the roads could not unsettle the passengers. I took a test drive of SCORPION, and took a chance to speed up on breakers, the movement was too much. I know, I have to slow down at breakers, but there are other things on Indian roads that unsettle you more than the breakers. so the question is still there, how much compromise in ride quality is allowed. I have both Duster and Scorpio (Old) in my family, and my mother always loved to be in Duster than the Scorpio. the N is refreshed but I am not impressed. Maybe I am comparing with Duster, by consumers want best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DheerajNK View Post
I am also following this on one of the Youtubers' channels. So far all of the Youtubers/auto channels who reviewed the Scorpio N had only good things to say about this car (apart from the few well known issues like 3rd row space, no sliding seats, some other missing features etc.), so I am really curious to see if any real niggles come up during this drive. I have seriously started to doubt these reviews now, how can it be so positive
Yes, thats true. Even the ones who made videos on Fuel Efficiency did not actually show the MID and what kms they have driven how they are used to do for other cars. Some even have doubtful body gestures, which makes me doubt if they are lying.

Quote:
Had mentioned to them that the vehicle is great but they need to add certain features to make it more attractive for customers (like telescopic steering, 360 camera, 5 seater version or a flat fold split rear seat option). Don't know if they are actually going to share the feedback or not but if they do, it would be wonderful as I think the company would seriously work on it and maybe a Z10/Z10L is on cards in near future? That would make it a much better package to buy.
Its just a show, I dont think they will be refreshing the current model range/ adding another model any sooner because they still have a product having better sales margin to sale (read XUV 700).

Last edited by rooster.ram : 19th July 2022 at 15:03.
rooster.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 15:21   #499
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I finally managed to get a good test drive of the Diesel Manual Scorpio-N. It was a 4x4 model but used in 2WD on tarmac.

Was thinking of posting it here, but all my other recent TD reports are on the Choosing an SUV thread so posted it there. This is to inform those interested.

It focuses mainly on the driving experience, suspension feel, dynamics etc; also other things which came to notice, such as ergonomics etc.
It might be the longest report/review you'd have read on the Scorpio-N yet (11-mid sized posts).

Link: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post5360915

~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Folks, any idea if the Diesel MT version has come up for test drive anywhere?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
Hiya Poitive, test drives have been going on for a few days now in my state. .... at the end, he offered me a test drive...
Thanks for the reply and the elaborate pictures, mate. I finally did manage to TD the Diesel Manual. Have not added pictures to that report, as you had already done the needful.

Quote:
I have seriously started to doubt these reviews now, how can it be so positive
Even though it is by Poitive, this one is not so poisitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster.ram View Post
Yes, thats true. Even the ones who made videos on Fuel Efficiency did not actually show the MID and what kms they have driven how they are used to do for other cars.
Have reported on the fuel efficiency and compared it to the XUV700 for reference in the above report, along with some further calculations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
I assume it can be 12-14 kmpl with the diesel...
You might be surprised!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
- What would be the expected FE with Diesel 172 HP variant?
- Another query, what can go wrong if this type of Diesel SUV car is not started for 10-12 days.
- Please check the aforementioned link for some details.
- If you are concerned about the DPF, check this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
Apart from battery, I believe there is extra precaution to be taken for DEF. Is that so and can anyone here confirm the same?
Please check above.
Poitive is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 16:54   #500
Senior - BHPian

Somewhat OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
It might be the longest report/review you'd have read on the Scorpio-N yet (11-mid sized posts).

Link: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post5360915
Possibly due to some software glitch, after page 16, instead of page 17 automatically loading below, it shows the top of page 16 again (with MG Hector heading!). The report is partly on page 16 and partly on page 17.

Have refreshed, cleared cache etc. to check if the error is at my end. It sometimes shows page 16 again and sometimes page 17 again. In case you thought the report ended abruptly, please manually click on page 17 to read the latter half of the report.

Last edited by Poitive : 19th July 2022 at 17:00. Reason: Refinement
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 17:44   #501
BHPian

Quote:
but I am 100% sure now that I'm not going to be booking this in the first 25,000 or even 50,000 batch. Hoping that certain features are added with time and also get to know ownership experiences before deciding on the purchase.
Unless you’re fine with waiting minimum 2 years, don’t hold your breath for any new feature additions. People over at the XUV thread made the same mistake and are now having a multi-year waiting period without any price protection. Best bet is to book within first 25k, get that price protection and decide on cancellation at allotment time.
Tanmay007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 19:35   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
....Best bet is to book within first 25k, get that price protection and decide on cancellation at allotment time.
There is no price protection clause. Please refer to the attached snapshot of the terms and conditions for "add to cart" in Mahindra website, clauses j to n.

It was also mentioned earlier by someone in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20220719193209.png  

Old 19th July 2022, 19:46   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
There is no price protection clause. Please refer to the attached snapshot of the terms and conditions for "add to cart" in Mahindra website, clauses j to n.

It was also mentioned earlier by someone in this thread.
Pretty sure that’s for bookings post 25k. Mr. Nakra himself said during the launch event that these prices are applicable for first 25k bookings. It was same with the XUV700 launch.

Watch the below video from 01:25:00

Tanmay007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 11:31   #504
BHPian

One question on the booking process. The SA at the showroom mentioned that I can do the booking through them. I am assuming there will be an online booking option as well. If it is online, we can try submitting the booking the minute it opens, not sure if the showroom guys will do the same. Which option has the better chances of being up on the list (within 25k to be precise)?
Old 20th July 2022, 11:46   #505
BHPian

Quote:
One question on the booking process. The SA at the showroom mentioned that I can do the booking through them. I am assuming there will be an online booking option as well. If it is online, we can try submitting the booking the minute it opens, not sure if the showroom guys will do the same. Which option has the better chances of being up on the list (within 25k to be precise)?
Technically you can do it but high probability that the server will not be able to handle the load and the dealers might have an edge. Try doing both with different mobile numbers and one of you can get lucky.
atluri_rkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 12:17   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster.ram View Post
Its just a show, I dont think they will be refreshing the current model range/ adding another model any sooner because they still have a product having better sales margin to sale (read XUV 700).
Agreed, I don't see this happening immediately but you never know, some features of XUV 700 maybe added in Scorpio - N (except ADAS related features) in near future to make a new top end variant which will anyways result in higher margin for the company.

@Tanmay007
Yes, I am fine with the waiting time as my replacement will be for my almost 5 year old Innova Crysta (50k odo) and I can easily live with it for a couple of years if needed to wait for my next purchase. I was even thinking to book XUV 700 AX7 Luxury in Petrol just to be in queue and then decide at the time of allotment if I get a better product in the market in that time frame. Though heart is set on Scorpio-N but it has too many shortcomings for now and I guess XUV 700 makes more logic for city/daily/primary drive.

@RijuC
I think the price protection clause is for on road pricing and not on Ex-showroom prices because you never know by the time of delivery, what changes in road tax, insurance structure, GST etc. may happen, hence mentioned.

I would also like to know how is Mahindra's ownership experience generally like from the forum members. I have never owned a Tata or a Mahindra in the past and all of my past purchases (including Maruti, Ford, Toyota, Honda, 7-8 years earlier Skoda, except Jeep) have been great in terms of spending only 1-2 days in a year for servicing and no other issues in general 5 years of owning the vehicles. I was looking for Tata Harrier as an option too but lack of petrol engine and after sales issues leading it to remain in the service centre have kept me away from it for now. Do Mahindra owners face similar issues? Or is the Tata issue just a small percentage and not for majority of the owners? Would really like an insight on this as my next purchase would be my daily/primary vehicle and I would not want it to be sent to Service Centres multiple times unless an exceptional case arises.

P.s: Being a newbie here, I was trying to quote multiple people in the post but was unable to figure it out how to do it in a single message. If somebody can message me or guide me how to quote multiple people in the same post (Quote+ wasn't giving me any option where I could continue quoting multiple people and select relevant texts)
AdB1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 12:32   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra Scorpio-N automatic real world fuel economy tested.

Attachment 2331648

Source
They said they used zip mode during the test of diesel version, which means in other 2 modes diesel AT would be same as petrol AT in the city ! ?
Old 20th July 2022, 13:56   #508
BHPian

With the ongoing comparisons and confusion between the Scorpio N and XUV700, especially with the price overlap on higher variants, I went ahead and made a quick feature comparison chart to give an overview of what you are gaining or losing vis-a-vis Scorpio N Z8 vs XUV700 AX5, Scorpio N Z8 L vs XUV700 AX7and AX7 L variants.

Also attached is a PDF for anyone looking to print the chart.

Note: The comparison is done taking into account the prices and feature lists for the Diesel manual variants only. Platform specific features such as BOF construction, 4Xplor etc are not taken into consideration.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpiovsxuv700.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf scorpiovsxuv700.pdf (450.1 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by ask99 : 20th July 2022 at 13:58.
ask99 is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 15:33   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post
With the ongoing comparisons and confusion between the Scorpio N and XUV700, especially with the price overlap on higher variants, I went ahead and made a quick feature comparison chart to give an overview of what you are gaining or losing vis-a-vis Scorpio N Z8 vs XUV700 AX5, Scorpio N Z8 L vs XUV700 AX7and AX7 L variants.
Auto push button start, passive keyless entry, front and back camera you have shown in yellow. Are they really better in ScorpioN?
Old 20th July 2022, 15:47   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post
Auto push button start, passive keyless entry, front and back camera you have shown in yellow. Are they really better in ScorpioN?
The highlights pertain to the equivalent priced variants.

As mentioned in the post, it's Z8 vs AX5 and Z8L vs AX7 as they are the similarly priced variants that one would be confused about.

It's all relative. And in this the Mahindra theory of relativity, the ScorpioN Z8L variant seems to be providing rather poor value for money.

Last edited by ask99 : 20th July 2022 at 15:50. Reason: Added Z8L opinion
ask99 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks