Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2022, 12:02   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
What would be the expected FE with Diesel 172 HP variant? ...Yearly running 12 months x 550 km + 3000-4000 km..
..Diesel SUV car is not started for 10-12 days.
As a rule of thumb, it is always better to go for the petrol version if your expected usage falls below 1000 kms / month. Some good Samaritans advice to tight the screw further, say 10K kms per year .

I'd advice you to look at the petrol versions unless you want a proper 4WD variant, which is available in Diesel only. Your expected mileage would be in single digits, but you won't need to worry about the DPF, diesel vehicle phaseout etc etc at all.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 12:08   #482
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
What would be the expected FE with Diesel 172 HP variant? Usual regular running is 55-60% on highways. Yearly running 12 months x 550 km + 3000-4000 km long trips to hills/ neighbouring states.

Driving style: mostly conservative, sedate; except few fun sprints on absolutely empty expressways.

Another query, what can go wrong if this type of Diesel SUV car is not started for 10-12 days.
I assume it can be 12-14 kmpl with the diesel. Also, not starting for two weeks is usually met with a lower charged battery (could be a result of electronics like XUV7OO) and maybe a slightly longer crank but that's probably it.
vredesbyrd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 12:54   #483
BHPian

Petrol FE is extremely low (obvious considering the power figures and weight of the SUV). And Z8 petrol AT OTR price is a no-go for buyers on budget. Z4 Petrol is too basic for me. Hence I was evaluating Z6 Diesel AT considering all aspects of low running of 10-12k per year and other issues like DPF, usual diesel related constraints in sub-zero temp., No cranking for 10-12 days due to visit to native place or work related on-duty etc.

I think it is a no-go for me. My personal preference is for sober looking cars/ SUVs. And this new Scorpio N was the cleanest looking car from Mahindra's portfolio, in my opinion. Never liked that cheeta or wild animal styled headlamps and DRL extensions in other Mahindra cars like XUV300, XUV500, XUV700 etc. The Scorpio N design elements of scorpion sting/ tail are very subtle and I somehow liked those fog lamp and top of last section of window glass.

Later on, the commanding position of the Scorpio N and ease of driving this big SUV were overwhelming and I had 2 brief TD. In comparison to other compact SUVs and mid-SUVs of 14-16 lakhs range, Scorpio N provides better value for money, except the FE and absence of 6 airbags.

Variants below Z8 have only 2 airbags. I didn't want sunroof, neither alloy wheels. But car manufacturers think buyers on budget do not deserve Safety. Hence they are still continuing with 2 airbags and 6 airbags are available only in top end variants. As GTO rightly said in one of the recent safety related threads that protection from T-boned accidents is also very important, I have also seen such fatal accidents in Chandigarh on the way to Manali. And I always remain scared while criss-crossing through the sea of trucks or at city crossings/ T-points of Gurgaon at night. Recently my wife's cab escaped narrowly from such incident. It is a reminder that I shall not settle for less when it comes to safety. We get yearly refresher training course on defensive driving, but we have lots of idiots on road who do not understand what is safe behaviour on road.
RijuC is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 13:51   #484
BHPian

Following are my primary thought process and perspective for zeroing on ScorpioN among 3 target SUVs, viz. Safari, XUV700 & ScorpioN.

1. XUV 700 or Safari as primarily FWD monocoque chassis are better highway cruisers with superb ride quality while Scorpio N with RWD BOF 4×4 is much better go anywhere vehicle. I am at a phase of life (39 years old) where my next few vehicles would provide me best and probably the last (hope not) opportunities to realise all those tough terrain dream drives like Ladakh, Spiti, Chandratal, Northeastern states and many more. I understand that all are doable on FWD, but 4×4 gives that added peace of mind. An out and out highway cruiser can wait for sixties. How many of you think age is an important variable while zeroing on a prospective vehicle buy?

2.As it will be my only daily use commute vehicle for the time being, I can't opt for an outright offroader like Thar due to its bodyroll and ride. I need a trade off between off and on road capabilities which ScorpioN has. Feather light steering will help a lot in low city speed as well. (Safari drawback).

3. We are a small family and don't need that 3rd row. Hence, boot and 3rd row related issues are not affecting my decision. I may even remove the 3rd row post purchase.

4. Sunroof of any kind is a big no no for tough terrain drive vehicle and also due to our tropical weather. You never know when it will get damaged by a dislodged stone and it unnecessarily heats up vehicle due to greenhouse effect. Wish Mahindra provided an option of "without sunroof" like Tata provided with Safari. I would prefer a load carrier over a sunroof anyday for this kind of go anywhere vehicle.

5. ADAS again is not my requirement as I feel even our highways are not yet ready for its effective use, let alone city roads. However, driver drowsiness alert is an useful feature as per my personal experience of an fatal accident due to drowsiness in my previous car Ford Fiesta TDCi, when the vehicle build quality along with airbags saved me. Hence no compromise with any of safety feature and build quality of the vehicle which are my primary criteria.

5. Even though I'm yet to take TD, what I understood from numerous reviews, ride and handling of Scorpio N is leaps and bound ahead of previous iteration and can compete with its FWD rivals.

6. Any other vehicle with the similar capability of ScorpioN will cost me atleast 15 lakhs higher than this.

This vehicle is a bit of everything but master of none, which perfectly suits my requirement. And yes, it is a looker and head turner specially in black and deep forest colour.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th July 2022 at 22:10. Reason: Typos.
Arinmech is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 14:56   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
For any car with front parking sensors, wouldn't they remain on/active at all points in time? If not, how does the car know that I am parking and would need assistance from the front sensors?
Not really, as AYP said, the front parking sensors are normally activated by either of the two ways unless there's an auto-detect feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
When it comes to VW(Jetta, Passat and likes), the front parking sensors can be engaged by 2 methods-
1. Manually pressing the park assist button which engages all the sensors.
2. If you engage reverse, the sensors(both front and rear) turn on automatically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I don't have experience with the recent VAGs so maybe they have introduced a new automatic sensor activation feature. Not sure if I really appreciate this feature though, especially in our driving conditions(bumper to bumper). Though if the sensors activate only if there is a sudden movement/obstacle, then it is not too bad a feature to have.
mk3 FL Octy has this, I'm guessing so does Passat and it's likes. Although my FL Yeti has 8K OPS, it does not have this feature. I'm told I need to upgrade my OPS module to enable this.

I know people who have retrofitted 8K OPS on their Polos have this feature enabled.

Also, the auto-detection works only under speeds of 15 km/h. I found it useful when navigating b2b traffic in the Scorpio where I had to keep enough gap from the car in front such that bikers don't try to squeeze into any and every gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waypoint View Post
Finally got to Drive Scorpio-N Z8L 4XPLORE Manual.
At which dealer was this? TIA
Old 18th July 2022, 21:44   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What would be the expected FE with Diesel 172 HP variant? Usual regular running is 55-60% on highways. Yearly running 12 months x 550 km + 3000-4000 km long trips to hills/ neighbouring states.
With that kind of running, FE makes very little difference. Let us say lowest possible FE is 8 kpl and highest possible is 12 kpl. For a year with 10,000 km run, the difference in fuel consumption is 400 litres, which translates to 40K INR, which is just 2% of the cost of your SUV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post

I am at a phase of life (39 years old) where my next few vehicles would provide me best and probably the last (hope not) opportunities to realise all those tough terrain dream drives like Ladakh, Spiti, Chandratal, Northeastern states and many more. I understand that all are doable on FWD, but 4×4 gives that added peace of mind. An out and out highway cruiser can wait for sixties. How many of you think age is an important variable while zeroing on a prospective vehicle buy?

But getting to these places is going to involve a lot of highway driving. The XUV700 with AWD can get you to your destination in better comfort and also should be able to handle the beaten tracks once you are in these places quite easily. I have a 2020 Thar and long distance drives are not very comfortable due to the constant up and down movements. I know the ScorpioN has improved highway ride from the Thar but both are ultimately based on the same chassis, so I am not a 100% convinced on the long distance ride comfort.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 18th July 2022 at 21:50.
84.monsoon is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 22:27   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post
where my next few vehicles would provide me best and probably the last (hope not) opportunities to realise all those tough terrain dream drives like Ladakh, Spiti, Chandratal, Northeastern states and many more.
If you like the Scorpio N, you should go for it.
(I think you already like it enough to convince yourself )

But please don't base your decision on that one odd 'rough road' trip that you would do someday. You have to live with your decision, for the rest 99% of the time, on road, on highway, in city. Choose what works well for the normal you, the normally you.

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 18th July 2022 at 22:30.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 00:10   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
But getting to these places is going to involve a lot of highway driving. The XUV700 with AWD can get you to your destination in better comfort and also should be able to handle the beaten tracks once you are in these places quite easily.
I've serious doubt on Xuv700 on its bad road capability even with AWD due to its tyre profile. Tyre articulation space is so small in XUV that use of all terrain tyre is almost impossible on XUV whereas it is very much possible on ScorpioN. Am I correct? I've seen many vedios of tyres of XUV AWD losing traction on hills, atleast the stock tyre.

Yes, ride comfort may be a compromise, but how much is the compromise that is the only question bothering me.
Arinmech is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 06:47   #489
BHPian

From YT video, it seems a convoy of Scorpio N is going to Ladakh via Manali, arranged by Mahindra adventure. I am waiting for the full report/ videos. However, all vehicles are 4x4 variant (as reported by the youtuber DDS Ravi). The weather reminds me my last year's work from mountains in Keylong and a small trip upto Jispa. My tiny hatchback served me well, without any trouble. Someone rightly said, even an Alto can reach me through such terrains if I know the correct skills.

Last edited by RijuC : 19th July 2022 at 06:55.
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 12:08   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
At which dealer was this? TIA
PPS Mahindra, Kanakpura Road. I could sense lack of coordination amongst SAs there and amongst SAs and other staff. Also, SAs there are too competitive and your test drive majorly depends on SA.

I stay far from Kanakpura Road but I picked that location because surrounding areas have lots to offer in terms of providing meaningful test drive. I generally prefer to take test drives in outskirts and I do not mind driving long distance for having a productive test drive
waypoint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 12:23   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From YT video, it seems a convoy of Scorpio N is going to Ladakh via Manali, arranged by Mahindra adventure. I am waiting for the full report/ videos. However, all vehicles are 4x4 variant (as reported by the Youtuber DDS Ravi). The weather reminds me my last year's work from mountains in Keylong and a small trip upto Jispa. My tiny hatchback served me well, without any trouble. Someone rightly said, even an Alto can reach me through such terrains if I know the correct skills.
This is the Monastery Escape expedition that's part of the Mahindra Adventure calendar. Generally a couple of media publications are invited to be part of the trip along with general public. The convoy consists mostly of Scorpio 4x4s and a couple of Thars. A Gateway is the service vehicle. I was part of it in 2019 and my media vehicle was an XUV300. The trip was an absolute blast.

This year they have replaced the older Scorpios with the Scorpio N 4x4s.
Dippy is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 12:26   #492
Senior - BHPian

Saw a green Scorpio on road last Sunday. Also got to tailgate the car for couple of KM's.
- In green color proportions did not look as good as it looked on paper.
- Bonnet is too long for the car and despite being wide, looked narrow.
- Front looks imposing and a rare Mahindra where the design is not overdone.
- May be the color, car looked a size smaller than Endeavour/Fortuner/Gloster despite being taller and as wide/wider. A lighter color may look different.
- From the rear does have some of the Xylo vibe, thanks to the height.

Last edited by PrideRed : 19th July 2022 at 12:27.
PrideRed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 12:30   #493
BHPian

Just logged on to the Mahindra website to play around with the cart and noticed that the Z4 D AT 4WD variant is not available anymore to be selected.

Any insights or reasons on the omission as I clearly remember it being on the list initially and also on the brochure received from my SA?
Old 19th July 2022, 13:11   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaisalmeriya View Post
Just logged on to the Mahindra website to play around with the cart and noticed that the Z4 D AT 4WD variant is not available anymore to be selected.

Any insights or reasons on the omission as I clearly remember it being on the list initially and also on the brochure received from my SA?
D-AT 4WD is available only in Z8 and Z8L variants. In Z4, you can get 4WD with MT, not AT.
TSIched'Out is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 13:32   #495
HTC
BANNED

Considering 1.5 lac premium for 4WD over 2WD, there is a difference of 4.5 lac between Z4 D/Manual/4wd & Z8 D/Manual/4wd in the onroad price in Bengaluru. I went through the brouchure and listed down the main features which are missing in Z4 M compared to Z8 M. I have highlighted in yellow, the ones which I would have loved to have in Z4 that would have made it a better and competent offroader.

Now my question is, just considering the yellow highlighted features, is spending 4.5 lac more and upgrading to Z8 worth for these features?
Would love to hear from experts. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
HTC
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-z4-vs-z8.jpg  

Last edited by HTC : 19th July 2022 at 13:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks