Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2022, 20:57   #1231
BANNED

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav6464 View Post
Just found this short Scorpio-N review video on Instagram. It seems like sometimes to worry about.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChPVm...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=

The speaker above is so close to the sunroof and uncovered. As per the reviewer it may get damaged with slightest of rain.

Whats your take on this...
Good observation. I also think that sun and moon roof opening at the wrong time (rains etc) will spoil many other things like the roof fabric, seats and your clothes. I dont think Mahindra or any car provider guarantees waterproof electronics.
MetalClank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 22:15   #1232
BHPian

Quote:
Just found this short Scorpio-N review video on Instagram. It seems like sometimes to worry about.

The speaker above is so close to the sunroof and uncovered. As per the reviewer it may get damaged with slightest of rain.

Seems worrying. By any chance, is there some sort of obstruction / plastic air deflector or something at the front of the sunroof, which could help cover this exposed area by some extent? Seems like grasping at straws, but this could possibly help in preventing water from directly falling onto the exposed part.
Old 16th August 2022, 22:25   #1233
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incinerated View Post
Seems worrying. By any chance, is there some sort of obstruction / plastic air deflector or something at the front of the sunroof, which could help cover this exposed area by some extent? Seems like grasping at straws, but this could possibly help in preventing water from directly falling onto the exposed part.
Any XUV 700 owners who can check if they have similar gap in their cars as shown in the Instagram video? Adding pics below from that video for easy viewing.

I would think Mahindra would have copied the sun roof placement, fitment, padding etc from already proven XUV 700. Here is a video where someone takes the XUV 700 through a monster waterfall (at 9.40 minutes) :

Plus each car always go through a rain test before it rolls out the quality checks at the factory.
Attached Images

MetalClank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 22:41   #1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incinerated View Post
Seems worrying. By any chance, is there some sort of obstruction / plastic air deflector or something at the front of the sunroof, which could help cover this exposed area by some extent?
It seems like there should be a cover screwed on top to protect the speaker, which is missing. You can see in the video that there are screw holes for something like that....have to check
gaurav6464 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 22:42   #1235
BHPian

In first place, there is an if & but situation.. if the sunroof remains open, then the water might seep in. What if the sunroof is closed, will it still come in ? most likely No. I don't think people would be dumb enough to keep the sunroof open even when they can see it would rain anytime. Only in case of a leakage in the sunroof assembly would there be a possibility of a water seepage. and that can happen to any car with a sunroof. I don't think Mahindra Engineering Team would be dumb enough to not test a vehicle with a sunroof. Coincidentally, most of the advertisements of Scorpio-N shows it in rains. For that matter, even door speakers are exposed to moisture and water but they still function.

Just a few days ago, read a brand new Meridian having leakage issues within 2-3 days. If such thing can happen to a 40+ lac vehicle, we can discount Mahindra at least to some extent. No need to press the PANIC button IMHO..
rahulya007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 00:17   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Was a panel there removed or something? It is ridiculous that there is such a large gap there that is left exposed!
Old 17th August 2022, 00:32   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Was a panel there removed or something? It is ridiculous that there is such a large gap there that is left exposed!
No nothing was removed. Infact after seeing this video yesterday i personally went to showroom to check both the test drive vehicles and a demo vehicle. All 3 had same. Speaker is completely exposed and in case of sudden rain with the sunroof open speaker would be the first target of droplets/ water. XUV7OO while on other hand does have a plastic enclosure.

Another thing was I failed to find drain holes at any place surrounding the sunroof enclosure. This IMO is a disaster in making if not addressed in production models. How could they give such a glaring miss?

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2022 at 08:38. Reason: Last line really not needed, bud
SportsMedicine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 01:18   #1238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
In first place, there is an if & but situation.. if the sunroof remains open, then the water might seep in. What if the sunroof is closed, will it still come in ? most likely No. I don't think people would be dumb enough to keep the sunroof open even when they can see it would rain anytime. Only in case of a leakage in the sunroof assembly would there be a possibility of a water seepage. and that can happen to any car with a sunroof. I don't think Mahindra Engineering Team would be dumb enough to not test a vehicle with a sunroof. Coincidentally, most of the advertisements of Scorpio-N shows it in rains. For that matter, even door speakers are exposed to moisture and water but they still function.

Just a few days ago, read a brand new Meridian having leakage issues within 2-3 days. If such thing can happen to a 40+ lac vehicle, we can discount Mahindra at least to some extent. No need to press the PANIC button IMHO..
I genuinely don't understand this sentiment. Just because an American MNC known worldwide for quality issues is not keeping a check on its QC, it doesn't mean we allow our own carmakers to stoop to such low levels. 26L is the money being paid here, not 2.6L (not that I would discount such an engineering flaw in a 2.6L rupee car either).

I accompanied BHPian sportmedicine and his observations are spot-on. For those of you who are saying Mahindra has done this on purpose, why doesn't the XUV 700 have the same trait? The 700 has this exact area neatly covered on both sides using an inconspicuous plastic cladding. The speaker internals are not at all visible.

Additionally many here have pointed out the sunroof is not used in the rains. Agreed. Perfectly acceptable. However, what about opening the sunroof AFTER a rainshower? There is bound to be some water on the roof and around the sunroof area. That water is going to find its way down into that cavity eventually. Even if I discount the fact that I couldn't notice any drain holes around that region, that water will hit the speaker for sure. It's in plain sight.

Even under dry conditions, there is going to be dust ingress into that cavity.

A speaker is not going to take kindly to any of this. There is a reason why carmakers take special care to keep electronics such as speakers, door actuators and door control modules stowed away from moisture.

Last edited by vishy76 : 17th August 2022 at 01:21.
vishy76 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 06:01   #1239
BHPian

Quote:

This is discouraging.its leading to doubt more like what if there could be some mechanical compromises also which we cant catch.

Now i have a bit of doubt on 4x4 capabilities because
I noticed Mr Veluswamy did not talk about 4Explore, neither in presentation nor in these review videos. He talks about every detail but misses on 4Explore. He just says it has 4Explore and proceeds.

hrishi_dypim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 08:40   #1240

After observing this exposed speaker issue in the instagram video, the other question I have is that, where will be the speakers be placed in lower variants like Z2, Z4 and Z6?
They may now have the upper hand as Z2 and Z4 comes without sunroof and Z6 may have 4 speakers on the door panel (not the one near the sunroof).
Old 17th August 2022, 09:19   #1241
Team-BHP Support

Guys, aren’t we discussing too much hypothetical situations? Too many what if’s and why nots?

A better bet any day is checking out the vehicle yourself, exploring the 4WD variant yourself before believing You-Tube click-baits.
Sheel is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 10:37   #1242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Guys, aren’t we discussing too much hypothetical situations? Too many what if’s and why nots?

A better bet any day is checking out the vehicle yourself, exploring the 4WD variant yourself before believing You-Tube click-baits.
Also these are pre production units. Bound to have some issues which will be sorted in final production ones. Lets hope issues like sunroof drain holes and speaker cover are looked at and attended.
Old 17th August 2022, 11:07   #1243
BHPian

A very valid query indeed. I was just going through the Sony In-car OEM System page for the ScorpioN and found the attached pic.

Looks as if the components marked '1' are Tweeters (4x25mm). While the higher variants get 4 of them, the lower models including the Z8 may get only two?

And if so, where would they be placed? Within the roof or a rather conventional placement, like within the A-pillar.

Quote:
After observing this exposed speaker issue in the instagram video, the other question I have is that, where will be the speakers be placed in lower variants like Z2, Z4 and Z6?
They may now have the upper hand as Z2 and Z4 comes without sunroof and Z6 may have 4 speakers on the door panel (not the one near the sunroof).
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-1.png  

Old 17th August 2022, 11:34   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
The 700 has this exact area neatly covered on both sides using an inconspicuous plastic cladding. The speaker internals are not at all visible.
What we are talking here is a Production vehicle which is being delivered since last 9-10 months. what are we comparing it with ? Pre-production Scorpio-N. Did we find this point in the pre-production XUV700 ? I am not sure. May be this plastic cladding was missing in those vehicles as well.. may be not. My point was not to discount Mahindra to commit mistakes but let's have a fair comparison. We all know Scorpio-N is by no means a cheap vehicle when compared to XUV700. Both these vehicles are manufactured in the same Chakan plant. Then why would Mahindra give a cladding in XUV and keep it out of Scorpio. If we don't find it in the production unit, we can make a hue and cry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
A speaker is not going to take kindly to any of this. There is a reason why carmakers take special care to keep electronics such as speakers, door actuators and door control modules stowed away from moisture.
Door speakers are directly exposed to water which enters the door from the window gasket and exits from the drain holes at the bottom. What they provide is just a rain cover which simply acts like an umbrella. Apart from this, i don't think any other shielding is provided. Even when people go for after market speakers worth thousands, there is no other cover available apart from that speaker rain guard or whatever they call it. Anyways, speakers are not core electronics which are typically hidden under the dash or any other safe place, a vehicle will still run with all 4 door speakers damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Absolutely Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruv45in View Post
Also these are pre production units. Bound to have some issues which will be sorted in final production ones. Lets hope issues like sunroof drain holes and speaker cover are looked at and attended.
Exactly, my point. Music system slowness, camera blurriness, now this exposed speakers etc. and may be few other points are glaringly visible owing to these being pre-production units. I am sure similar points may also be talked about on the XUV700 thread with the pre-production units made available post launch and those were taken care in the production cars.

Another point to note is, This vehicle has been launched in Monsoon and there have been significant test drives and reviews by one and all. has anyone found even a slightest of dampness or spot on the roof lining ? if not, then we can safely assume drain holes are provided and working as expected.

If Mahindra still does not make these upgrades, then i think we have full authority to make a noise that reaches the top management in Mahindra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealtoman View Post
Looks as if the components marked '1' are Tweeters (4x25mm). While the higher variants get 4 of them, the lower models including the Z8 may get only two?

And if so, where would they be placed? Within the roof or a rather conventional placement, like within the A-pillar.
Component marked as '1' will be only provided on door near the base of the A Pillar, and possibly lower variants will not have the 2 tweeters placed on the roof top. Similarly, components 4 & 5 would be missing on the lower variant as well as far as i know and they will only be present in the 'L' variant.

Last edited by rahulya007 : 17th August 2022 at 11:39. Reason: added text
rahulya007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 11:43   #1245

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealtoman View Post
A very valid query indeed.
=====
I think the 4 speaker's will be placed exactly as Mahindra has placed it on lower variant XUX 700 MX ie on the door panel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks