Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2022, 21:09   #1156
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Then I can think of Skoda/VW 1.5 DSG. I liked this duo very much due to their simple and sober design, though narrower than MS Brezza by 30 mm.
Can you trust VW DSG during night driving in the middle of nowhere? The thought itself is a horror for me even if it is in absolutely perfect condition. I can trust them only in local city drive as an additional second car.
Arinmech is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 23:33   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
# Thar is a life style vehicle, ScorpioN is an all roads tourer.

# Thar has a shorter wheelbase, plus, it's approach, departure & rampover / breakover angle is superior to ScorpioN. We don't have figures, but we can safely assume so.

# Thar will a better SUV suited for off-road terrain / excursions, for driving 2 up, while ScorpioN should take you & other 3 persons to all parts of the country in decent comfort.

# They both are SUV's with a low range and should be able to excel in minor to moderate off-road scenarios but they are chalk and cheese.
Thanks for providing a detailed comparison between Thar and Scorpio-N. This really helps a novice like me to get the basic doubts sorted. The first two were comparative questions, but the next two questions were from the general off the road driving perspective. It will really help if you can share some thoughts on those two.
The last question is from maintenance point of view. It would be helpful if you/others can share from experiences about under chassis damage in these types of rocky terrains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
Just a side bar, happen to see the pricing of new hyundai tuscon. Top end is almost 43 lacs OTR. Somehow Scorpio N is looking even better for its price point and what it offers!!
Exactly same thought crossed my mind when I checked the prices after launch.
Old 13th August 2022, 02:20   #1158
Senior - BHPian

Properly reading the thread after a few days.
Regarding the audio sytem and it's tuning by Sony:

While most of us tend to focus on audio-hardware, I suspect the role and value of tuning is not appreciated enough. A car is very far from a good acoustic environment for appreciating good audio due to compromised speaker locations, compromised acoustic properties of materials around, especially hard materials like glass. This in an acoustically odd shaped surrounding. The reflections play havoc.

Good audio tuning can improve the sound in any setting, but in a car it becomes particularly valuable due to the above. Speaker locations, damping suggestions (which might include many areas which we may never know or realize), and especially processing and adjustments to increase of decrease frequencies and their shaping, to reduce the effect of the highly reflective environment. Further, possibilities are of time-alignment to reduce the cancelling effect of frequencies due to phase mismatch due to multiple speakers (this can hardly be achieved well enough in all sitting locations though).

I can't say how well or poorly Sony has done this. Just wanted to emphasize the value of tuning in such settings.

That said, anyone into audio and willing to invest time and effort would likely be able to find something to their particular taste in a budget way lesser than the premium being charged by Mahindra. More speakers may or may not improve sound - they can just end up increasing mis-timed sound and increase reflections in the prime seat, while trying to improve the sound in other seats of lesser relevance.

Like another comment, have seen Youtubers talk about sound quality based on the look of speakers casually. They would have some special magical powers to be able to figure that out!

Briefly:
* As above, audio tuning can have a lot of value in a car. It is not just tuning.
* If you are looking at good sound in most/all seats, the Sony-tuned 12 speaker sound is likely to be valuable.
* If 1-2 prime seats matter more, you might do well with putting in a 70-100k into a good sound system, which is likely to be way better.
* A customized system also allows one to choose based on their taste and hearing. People hear differently (they are sensitive to different frequencies etc etc).
* Consider warranty issues, and the possible ratting which accompanies opening up car panels needlessly.

I do not say this based on quality time with the systems, but on a general understanding of audio and having spent much time for my own setups over the years.
Poitive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 09:01   #1159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post

* As above, audio tuning can have a lot of value in a car. It is not just tuning.
* Consider warranty issues, and the possible ratting which accompanies opening up car panels needlessly.
Very valid points. I spent lot of time for audio upgrade and tuning in my THAR. In that process, met quite a few people looking for audio upgrade while spending time at the workshop. However, when I looked at all the wiring, car panels being opened up first hand and time I had to spend with the workers to make sure it is done right, I was pretty exhausted by the end of it. I am no audio enthusiast for sure. Only reason I am going with L is to avoid those hassles. More so, I understand that all these wiring etc. will be much more in scorpio. I was comfortable doing all that in Thar as it is mod friendly and audio was very basic with no OEM option to upgrade. With Scorpio, I would rather go with the best option if manufacturer is providing which I agree comes at a steep premium.
alokk0912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 10:36   #1160
BHPian

I have got introductory price for my ScorpioN Z4 D AT, now waiting for a delivery date.

Supposedly, if Mahindra decides to hike the price of the ScorpioN, How will be the Road tax and Registration calculated? Will it be as per the Introductory price or price at the time of delivery?
Old 13th August 2022, 11:16   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Supposedly, if Mahindra decides to hike the price of the ScorpioN, How will be the Road tax and Registration calculated? Will it be as per the Introductory price or price at the time of delivery?
We only have protection for ex-showroom price. All the other taxes will be calculated as per the prevailing ex-showroom prices at the time of delivery.
atluri_rkc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 11:18   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
I have got introductory price for my ScorpioN Z4 D AT, now waiting for a delivery date.

Unfortunately, road tax is calculated on the prevailing prices at the time of delivery. You will have to pay few additional thousands for each price hike. Recently I took delivery of my XUV7OO booked with price protection but road tax was calculated on current prices.
StarVector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 11:33   #1163
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
We only have protection for ex-showroom price. All the other taxes will be calculated as per the prevailing ex-showroom prices at the time of delivery.
Did not understand this statement. The road tax and other taxes will be on the ex-showroom price only (which is protected for first 25K). There is chance that the taxes may undergo a change by the delivery time, but the ex-showroom cannot change if you have got introductory price slot.

What am I missing?
Old 13th August 2022, 11:52   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
Did not understand this statement. The road tax and other taxes will be on the ex-showroom price only (which is protected for first 25K). There is chance that the taxes may undergo a change by the delivery time, but the ex-showroom cannot change if you have got introductory price slot.

What am I missing?
As per rules laid out by Govt, you can’t discount the ex-showroom price. All the discounts therefore are always offered by dealer on OTR prices. The same applies here. While your ex-showroom prices are secured, the taxes and registration charges will be levied based on the ex-showroom price prevailing at the time of the delivery. I am not considering any impact of change in road tax in the interim. If they change, it’s a different calculation. But the base will always be the prevailing ex-showroom prices at the time of delivery.
atluri_rkc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 13:39   #1165

There was a question earlier about nose-dive on the diesel.

I test drove the diesel AT 4XPLOR a while ago - essentially it's a very soft and sensitive breaking set up, so you have to just feather the brake pedal (with your toes) and it will decelerate sufficiently. Further there isn't nose-dive as much as rapid braking when we press the brake pedal with as much pressure as we are used to on our existing vehicles.

I feel that this tends to happen because in the initial few mm of brake pedal travel, there is deceleration without physical feedback on the pedal itself. (It almost feels like drive by wire.) So you just mash it harder imagining that you're going through the play on the pedal and boom, immediate halt. This is analogous, in my opinion, to moving from mechanical brakes to brake assist, or a two wheeler analogy would from be from drum brakes to disc brakes. The analogy only stretches so far, but hopefully one gets the picture.
Somas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 13:54   #1166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It differs from state to state. While some states calculate on the present listed price of the model, others calculate on the invoice price.

In my case (XUV700 booked on day one but delivered in July 2022) it was calculated on invoice price, in the state of CG.

You need to find out how it is calculated in your state.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 14:03   #1167
BHPian

Well, I knew Sirish would do this eventually . Scorpio-N vs Fortuner vs Endeavour.

lordrayden is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 14:30   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post
Just saw the official unveiling of the scorpio classic.

The new grey colour they added looks really really nice to me. Reminds me of the honda city grey that my father currently drives.
One thing that shocked me was the aftermarket looking infotainment screen mahindra went for.

The screen size Of the ICE is 9 inches. That’s more than the 8 inch display on the scorpio N.

Now I understand the scorpio n has a custom software and a much more advanced display. But still it looks smaller due to the huge bezels around. And now seeing the classic with a bigger screen with almost no bezels makes me wonder how is the internal decision making in Mahindra done.

Also the classic still gets hydraulic struts for the bonnet which is a big omission in both the N and the XUV700.

Scorpio Classic looks more SUV than Scorpio N, without any doubt.
Retaining the Bonnet Scoop and modifying the Tail Light cluster are master strokes by Mahindra.

But, for Scorpio Classic to continue being a success like it's predecessor, pricing will be the key.
At the present pricing; Scorpio N variants offer more VFM when compared to similar variants of S11 & S models of Scorpio/ Classic.
Old 13th August 2022, 14:56   #1169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
Well, I knew Sirish would do this eventually . Scorpio-N vs Fortuner vs Endeavour.
Aren't these reviewers getting too obvious about creating a video to promote a certain car. It's like they didn't even bother getting the facts right about Endeavour and Fortuner because "we are going to recommend Scorpio anyways". The reviewer mentioned Endeavour 2.0 has 9 speed gearbox, it wasn't slip of tongue because he mentioned it multiple times (it has 10 speed gearbox for the unware). He's driving old Fortuner with 177hp and 450Nm, but mentioned the power specs in the video as 201hp and 500Nm but worst of all, he's calling it 2.7 litre engine. So they took 2.7 from petrol engine, mentioned specs of newer Diesel engine while driving the older model with lower specs and less features, WOW. Not to mention they used a car with aftermarket infotainment setup.

Some reviewers don't even try hard to hide the fact on who's sponsoring them.
Technic90 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 15:28   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic90 View Post
Aren't these reviewers getting too obvious about creating a video to promote a certain car. It's like they didn't even bother getting the facts right about Endeavour and Fortuner because "we are going to recommend Scorpio anyways". The reviewer mentioned Endeavour 2.0 has 9 speed gearbox, it wasn't slip of tongue because he mentioned it multiple times (it has 10 speed gearbox for the unware). He's driving old Fortuner with 177hp and 450Nm, but mentioned the power specs in the video as 201hp and 500Nm but worst of all, he's calling it 2.7 litre engine. So they took 2.7 from petrol engine, mentioned specs of newer Diesel engine while driving the older model with lower specs and less features, WOW. Not to mention they used a car with aftermarket infotainment setup.

Some reviewers don't even try hard to hide the fact on who's sponsoring them.
Yeah Mahindra is spending quite a lot on influencers and youtubers to create a lot of hype about their products. Their products are pretty good but the hype does create a feeling of being let down when you finally get to experience it in person. I still booked the scorpio-N because there is no other choice in the BOF 4x4 SUV market below 30l but I did feel it was quite a bit overrated and took a while to check out all other options before I did so including the used market. I wouldn't have minded paying even 5l more if they had actually made it worth all the hype and didn't cut corners.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks