Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2022, 17:11   #1036

Did a TD of Petrol Manual today as it is my choice (Booked Z4 P M under 25k). The TD vehicle I got was White and did roughly 5km run.

* Driving Impression:
-> Car just glides over the road and rough patches, although there weren't many but where other cars were reducing their speeds, ScorpioN went through without any fuss.

-> Front Seats are the most comfortable and all the buttons and gears are in close proximity, didn't have to lean over for reach.

-> The Vehicle feels like a tank (coming from sedans or hatches) and one needs to be extra careful when maneuvering through tight spaces or in traffic.

-> Both edges of Bonnet was clearly visible with panoramic visibility.

-> Passengers in other vehicles seems to be sitting just above the road, and due to large side windows, adds to the ease of driving.

-> Steering is very light but responsive, didn't felt any difficulty while skipping vehicles in traffic.

-> Accelerator felt to have a minute rubber-band effect (or maybe was very light and I'm not used to such light accelerator), adding to which I felt minor Turbo-Lag as well, the moment car is above 1.2-1.3k RPM, it just pulls and pulls effortlessly.

-> Brakes are sharp and one needs to lightly press to get super response, whenever applied a bit harder, felt nosedive effect from both driving as well as 2nd row passenger's perspective.

-> Gearbox is very responsive and one can pickup a car from crawling traffic from the 3rd Gear as well (tested it as due to closer proximity of gears, I mistakenly changed to 3rd when it was meant to be in 1st).

-> Engine Auto On/Off works fluently when putting the vehicle to a complete halt and changing to Neutral, car starts automatically by pressing the clutch, didn't feels much difference as the cabin is super silent.

-> As I'm not used to gizmos and gadgets in a car, couldn't check the mileage and other info, or sunroof etc. but I checked the Audio System by Sony, which is loud enough at full volume, not punchy or bassy enough, just adequate.

* 2nd Row Impression:
->Suspension, although on the stiffer side, is adequately comfortable and didn't felt much body roll.

-> Being seated in 2nd row with seatbelts on, felt minor sideways momentum when changing lanes, Mahindra has really improved ride quality.

-> Seating Position as per me (being 5'11") was seated normally, with ample legroom and space, but I felt thigh support was a bit less (maybe due to my long legs, father felt most comfortable in both rows). Adding an inch and a half will do the job.

-> Also I felt somewhat uncomfortable when seated with my back all the way backwards, felt the angle of backrest was a bit more (or maybe its my personal problem of sitting a bit more upright)

-> Also the door inside grab handles are at a bit awkward position, but will get used to with time, person holds that side handle rather the roof handles when someone driving enthusiastically.

-> 2nd Row MIDDLE Seat feels a bit upright (due to cup holders), didn't had any problem in seating, tunnel was low, but it needs splitting of legs on either side as AC vents intrude that space.

-> Headrest for middle passengers feels a big miss, and head tries to find the headrest when seated there.

-> Headroom for 2nd row is acceptable with space adequate buffer.

-> 2nd Row Seats' Side Cushioning (Bolsters) are boon as well as bane (lets one sink in the seats comfortably but at the same time restricts the 2nd Row seats for just 3 medium built persons) and they may seem almost flat visually, but when seated there, it will become uncomfortable for long rides. (fix: Fabric Seats could be different with aftermarket mods available at the time of seat covers to extend the thigh support and reduce the cushioning a bit)

-> 2nd Row AC is powerful enough, but noisy when switched past its mid limit, its throw is more than ample and chills the car in no time, 3rd row passengers won't miss the need of AC much. Had to higher the temperature after 10 minutes of only front AC in use.

* 3rd Row:
-> Although didn't rode while sitting in 3rd row, but checked the space again in the display vehicle, after riding in comfortable seats, 3rd row is inadequate for a person like me (leave medium to heavy built adults to fit there). At max 5'4" - 5'5" person can fit perfectly but will still feel inadequate thigh support.

-> The only head-on I got is there are 4 special screws (2 on each side) on which the 3rd row is bolted, and can be removed easily, the design of holders are square-bracketish and one can easily add spacers (of metal or wood) with longer screws to increase the height which may free some space, adding extra thigh support while making custom seat covers and finding best way to make 2nd row seats slideable will free up ample space for adults to sit comfortably for short rides. "As they say, Necessity is the Mother of Invention"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
[*]AC was good both front and back but it was a cloudy day today. SA said that there are two compressors. He said that in other cars which have 3rd row vents, the 3rd row vents are connected to the 2nd compressor and the middle row vents are usually the last ones to receive cold air. I also did not understand what temperature does the Scorpio N choose for the 2nd row AC (the blower knob just controls the fan speed).
It has a single Compressor BUT 2 Condenser for both rows. Compressor compresses the gas(CFC) which then passes within the pipes and through heat exchange, condenser releases the heat and transfers the cool air through vent. Absence of Condenser (or passing the cool air through vents) results in what almost every Kia Carens is having in rear right side!

One thing I noticed while TDing today is even Z8L Petrol Manual comes with basic seat-belt pre-tensioner without the height adjusting function.
Although I don't bother these things as long as these are doing their job, but if car is laden with fancies like electric seat adjust, what stopped Mahindra to provide these extra fancies as well at least in their top spec model?😂

[
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20220806-6.39.25-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by Sheel : 6th August 2022 at 19:36. Reason: Please use report post feature to place a request for moderation. Thanks.
Rigs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 17:29   #1037

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Good to see the new ScorpioN completely new looks and specs - after having driven the scorpio for about 16 years (chain driven) have always liked the view of the road through it.

Body roll of the old one is quite high, how is the body roll on the new one - considering it is again ladder on frame especially on a bumpy road?
Old 6th August 2022, 19:59   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs View Post
Did a TD of Petrol Manual today as it is my choice (Booked Z4 P M under 25k). The TD vehicle I got was White and did roughly 5km run.

As I'm not used to gizmos and gadgets in a car, couldn't check the mileage.
I too TDed a Petrol manual in white some time back at Koncept, Okhla. The staff was extremely courteous and the SA allowed me a long TD since there was no one else in the queue.

Did not check the second and third rows. For the rest, I had to same observations as you. Just to add two points to your review:

1 MILEAGE: Checked the mileage before setting off. It showed 5.5 kmpl. Reset trip meter to 0. I drove for around an hour during off-peak hours. Used a very light foot. Rarely crossed 60. The avg mileage at the end of the trip was 7.1.

2 COLOR: White is not as imposing as black. In fact white makes the car look a little smaller than it is. From the rear, white gives it a Wagon R look. Black will be a pain to maintain, but that's the color that suits Scorpio N the best.

Last edited by naru80 : 6th August 2022 at 20:04.
naru80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 21:07   #1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
I too TDed a Petrol manual in white some time back at Koncept, Okhla.

The SA was also telling it'll extract ~8kmpl in city condition. Your experience confirms the numbers. BTW mine was Koncept Lajpat Nagar, found Safdarjung one's arrogant and reluctant to sell the vehicle, so shifted to Lajpat Nagar just a day before booking, today did the KYC who shifted the query dealership from Safdarjung to Lajpat Nagar(Mahindra's database still had old dealership assigned).

I too was confused between Black and Green, saw both colors in flesh together today, and settled for Napoli Black, I know it is not going to be easy to maintain the shine, but considered the Butcher Look and Premium it'll command over other colors in used market say after 6-7 years.

Optimistic about the delivery to arrive before December 2022, SA too got me into confidence for the same, lets see
Old 7th August 2022, 01:59   #1040
BHPian

Update from 4th TD:

Today I had the 4th brief TD. 15th August is closing by, and I need to finalize the variant- Z4 Petrol AT or Z4 Diesel AT. Called up the nearest Mahindra dealership in Rajeev chawk and they confirmed that they have a Diesel AT for TD. When I occupied the driver's seat, I was pleasantly surprised to find the cluster with rotary knob, 4H and 4L buttons next to the AT lever.

The TD was very brief, from the Dealership to Rajeev chawk turn and then take another turn from Hero Honda chawk to the dealership. However, there is a winding highway section between the chawks. And that gave me a good opportunity to understand the SUV in a better way. Speed was between 80 and 90 kmph and the feel was good in front row and 2nd row.

However, the earlier Petrol AT drives were smoother than the Diesel AT. There is some kind of lag felt while speeding up in Diesel AT.

Another observation for this Diesel AT 4x4 variant- I was very gentle on the brake pedal. However, there was a considerable pitching whenever I touched the brake pedal lightly or halfway. Can someone please confirm what was their experience with the Diesel variants, or the 4x4 variants? I didn't like this pitching during pressing the brake gently or halfway. It was never present in Petrol AT variant.

I drove the car briefly in an uneven field full of mud, water, and dips due to heavy truck movements, with the permission of the SA. And the feeling inside the cabin was good, nothing worrisome. Feedback from my wife occupying 2nd row was neutral. I also didn't feel any substantial extra stiffness of suspension during this 2-3 minutes of mild adventure. However, I missed to notice whether it was a steel rim or alloy and the tyre size.

There was a little whining sound while accelerating. It was not too obtrusive inside the cabin. Didn't get the chance to feel the engine clutter with bonnet up. Next person on the queue grabbed the car quickly.

Due to these lag and pitching issue, I am in a dilemma again- Petrol AT or Diesel AT?

Meanwhile, the look of rear side is growing on me, primarily because of the chrome border line of the glass pan and the subtle scorpion tail. This end treatment oozes glamour (my personal view). Anyway, I shall be missing this chrome lining in Z4/ Z6. Attaching some photographs from today's visit.

This 'big daddy" USP or tagline is perhaps too cliched. There should have been something like earlier live young live free/ born free/ born wild kind of tagline to correlate with younger generation. "Big daddy" is carrying too much of legacy weightage just like the oldie bosses we have everywhere, with usual lectures " in the year 1971" or "30 years ago when I joined". The evo YouTube channel also made the promo videos with some accomplished middle aged enthusiasts from various sectors. But where are the young generation? At 46, I am feeling 20 years younger when I am on the steering of this new Scorpio N. However, I am taking over or handing over the TD vehicle from/ to someone older than me.

Today, my wife commented that Mahindra should add some wild animal or nature trail on the windshield glass like they have in the Thar.

I am planning to visit lower Himalayas in HP or UK next weekend. Wish I could take a TD Scorpio N there.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20220806_170552627_hdr2.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20220806_170713612_hdr2.jpg  

Last edited by RijuC : 7th August 2022 at 02:05.
RijuC is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 02:32   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs View Post
BTW mine was Koncept Lajpat Nagar, found Safdarjung one's arrogant and reluctant to sell the vehicle, so shifted to Lajpat Nagar just a day before booking, today did the KYC who shifted the query dealership from Safdarjung to Lajpat Nagar(Mahindra's database still had old dealership assigned).

I too was confused between Black and Green, saw both colors in flesh together today, and settled for Napoli Black, I know it is not going to be easy to maintain the shine, but considered the Butcher Look and Premium it'll command over other colors in used market say after 6-7 years.

Optimistic about the delivery to arrive before December 2022, SA too got me into confidence for the same, lets see
My booking Z4 Diesel Manual Boack is also at Concept Lajpat Nagar.did you do any KYC ? I am yet to revisit the showroom neither I was asked to do anything like that by Sales lady.
Old 7th August 2022, 02:56   #1042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
1. The TD was very brief, from the Dealership to Rajeev chawk turn and then take another turn from Hero Honda chawk to the dealership. However, there is a winding highway section between the chawks.

2. Another observation for this Diesel AT 4x4 variant- I was very gentle on the brake pedal. However, there was a considerable pitching whenever I touched the brake pedal lightly or halfway. Can someone please confirm what was their experience with the Diesel variants, or the 4x4 variants

3. Due to these lag and pitching issue, I am in a dilemma again- Petrol AT or Diesel AT?

4. I am planning to visit lower Himalayas in HP or UK next weekend. Wish I could take a TD Scorpio N there.
Mate, sharing some points:

1. This section of the highway hardly pushes the vehicle to get a proper feel of it. Please try a TD with sharper turns (on safe enough roads) to get a good sense of the vehicle.

2. The brake issue was mentioned in my TD (on the Choosing an SUV thread). It is likely that what you felt was due to brakes suddenly taking grip. It could be an issue with the car being really new, and the brakes not being used enough. Please try another sample if possible.

3. The difference on this should not be huge. The diesel being heavier in front will pitch forward a bit more, but it should not be a deal-braking difference to suffer the kind of FE a Scorpio-N petrol is likely to give. More likely an issue with the brakes. Another TD on a different vehicle might be a good idea.

4. You could try and plan a TD while you are on the hills to get a feel of it.

~~~~

Please do be careful while taking this on the hills:
All vehicles give some warning before they get out of control (losing traction, toppling over etc). This one has a high roll-centre (the reason for less bodyroll) and AFAIK, that will significantly reduce that warning it gives, and the vehicle will move faster from a state of being controlled to loss of control.

More on roll-centre once I have studied it further. It is an intriguing and fascinating topic. Will put it on the Choosing or other appropriate thread.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 11:52   #1043
BHPian

Booked Z8 D AT 4WD at introductory price . Took TD of Petrol Manual , Diesel Auto and Diesel Auto 4WD (Twice TD of each type)

Its great to learn from senior BHP'ians sharing various aspects before owning the vehicle from fuel types to , drive modes , NGT restriction in NCR , daily/monthly usage , comfort , driving dynamics stability etc .

Here I am adamant to own D AT 4WD ignoring all other aspects . Just hopped onto the drivers seat and enjoyed the vehicle ride. Seeing the 4WD rotary knob beside me was a pleasure not sure If ever I'll be engaging 4L .

Coming from a sedan and hatchback background and grown up watching hardcore offroad videos of Nissan , Chevy ,RAM, Ford . Any request to my father during college days to get atleast a RWD SUV was fiercely rebuked citing use case .

Today I can afford Bachha(child Scorpion) of Suv's father being Tacoma , GMC Sierra etc. Socrpio N is launched at the right time where I am in a position to buy It . Seems like my finance were made for it .

Finally what's more important to every one how was scorpio N to drive . The one which was more nimble and fun to drive being first (Everyone knows it ).

1. Petrol MT was much more agile and suspension was mild softer than other two(Its Obvious)

2. Diesel Auto

3. Diesel Auto 4WD on a steep inclination stop , you can push the Auto to MT in first gear and get the power on demand .Tried it on a slope , but anyways it could have also been done in Auto with ease .

Just like keeping the gun is for personal safety you dont't know when you will be needing it . Its same with 4WD . Both comes at a cost .
shubh001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 13:32   #1044
BHPian

Can anyone confirm if Z8 Manual Petrol comes with alloy wheels or steel wheels ?

The website generically says diamond cut alloy but dosent specify variants.
A printed brochure at the dealership says alloys only as standard in Z8L variant.
Z8 auto has alloys but manual has steel wheels

Even the sales guys were confused one saying Z8 manual comes with alloys other saying steel wheels.
Old 7th August 2022, 13:43   #1045
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
This 'big daddy" USP or tagline is perhaps too cliched. There should have been something like earlier live young live free/ born free/ born wild kind of tagline to correlate with younger generation. "Big daddy" is carrying too much of legacy weightage just like the oldie bosses we have everywhere, with usual lectures " in the year 1971" or "30 years ago when I joined". .
May not suit the character of the vehicle , within a few months you'd see white Scorpios with all kinds of flags , bull bar, roots horn etc barrelling at you in full speed

The Thar & XUV is more inclined to the live young ,live free tag . Scorpio is probably for this old boss you are referring to. Got to think if it's really for you then!

Happy shopping.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 14:21   #1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnsood View Post
My booking Z4 Diesel Manual Boack is also at Concept Lajpat Nagar.did you do any KYC ? I am yet to revisit the showroom neither I was asked to do anything like that by Sales lady.
Yeah, the 1st time I visited, Sales Lady told me Mahindra themselves will allot SA after 15 Aug. deadline, but when I went again yesterday (as mentioned by another TBHP Member in other thread "What happened with your Booking" posted to visit the Showroom within 3 business days as written in TnC), met with an SA who took my PAN and Aadhar ID, forwarded both "initial" and "introductory offer" Mail to do KYC, now he's my allotted SA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
Can anyone confirm if Z8 Manual Petrol comes with alloy wheels or steel wheels ?

The website generically says diamond cut alloy but dosent specify variants.
A printed brochure at the dealership says alloys only as standard in Z8L variant.
Z8 auto has alloys but manual has steel wheels

Even the sales guys were confused one saying Z8 manual comes with alloys other saying steel wheels.
This will answer your issue...
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot.png  

Rigs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 14:25   #1047
SDK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
The Z8 manual comes with steel wheels and the brochure mentions this clearly.
2nd last column is for Z8
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-capture.jpg  

SDK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 15:48   #1048
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krinpit View Post
1. Am I better off going for Z4 Diesel 4WD ?
+ To address the 0.1% time when it might be required.
+ Peace of mind for "in case" situations
- Will leave with only 1 driver
- Possibility of DPF issues

2. What is the difference between Z4 4WD and Z8 4WD?

Thanks in advance
The Z4 4WD comes only in MT. And Z4 MT lacks crucial safety features such as ESP, hill hold etc. Also it does not have crucial off-roading gear like MLD and BLD. In my opinion, it is a raw deal for paying a huge premium over the 2WD.

You are better off with a Z4 Petrol or Diesel AT. These variants have the above crucial safety features. Only downside ith petrol AT is the abysmal mileage.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 16:00   #1049
BANNED

For Hyderabad folks, which dealer is better? VVC Motors or Automotive Mahindra? Both have almost equal showrooms across AP and TS.
Old 7th August 2022, 16:17   #1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
For Hyderabad folks, which dealer is better? VVC Motors or Automotive Mahindra? Both have almost equal showrooms across AP and TS.
Would prefer VVC , you can ask for Srikant SM very helpful person
Linuskm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks