Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2022, 16:57   #931
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Posts related to Mahindra Scorpio-N bookings have been moved to a dedicated thread. All discussion on the bookings should be continued in the new thread only.
Aditya is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 17:39   #932
BHPian

I have one question around choosing Z8 instead of Z8L. The only feature which makes sense to me, is the front camera which is available in Z8L over Z8. Instead of spending additional 2 lakh extra (ex-showroom), is it possible to get front camera installed separately (through OEM fittings and available screen)? I am seriously deliberating on opting Z8 instead of Z8L. And if this option is easily feasible, I will finalize on Z8. Appreciate your authentic pointers and suggestions!

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2022 at 19:03. Reason: Typos
prajakt_23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 17:44   #933
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIAN_VAGABOND View Post
For all those 4WD enthusiasts, who need only 5 seaters; Toyota Hyryder and Suzuki Grand Vitara are both offering AWD in their Mild Hybrid MT Top Model.
Suzuki's ALLGRIP on both the above vehicles, is a Globally proven AWD technology; when compared to Mahindra's 4EXPLOR.
Grand Vitara ALLGRIP is available only with 1.5L/ 103HP/ 136NM engine which is a BIG drop off, and given the pricing of new brezza, I would expect a narrow gap between ScorpioN 4WD and Grand Vitara AllGRIP

ScorpioN
Z4 4WD - 16.5
Z8 4WD - 19.5

Mild Hybrid GV (I used Venue to creta premium on brezza)
Base/ Top MT - 12L / 16.5L
All Grip - 17-18L (right in the middle of Z4 & Z8)
Old 1st August 2022, 17:59   #934

Here comes the Math. Mahindra had 1,43,000 open bookings cumulatively for XUV700, XUV300, Thar, and the Bolero. ~9,000 XUV700 are getting booked every month. 1,00,000 Scorpios are already booked where there are few owners who might have booked both XUV700 and Scorpio to beat the queue and have ended up in the queue as well considering 25,000 vehicles were booked in 30 seconds itself. There may be significant cross cancellations for bookings for such buyers. What will be the final sales figures only they will get clear only post deliveries start for Scorpio N. One thing is for sure, the premium-seeking quick cash earners are going to earn from this mad rush.
Buyers will either switch or will stick to their choice. Waiting is going to be long and patience will be the key for the next few months. Petrol versions may be delivered earlier like XUV as both Scorpio N share the same engine trim and steering assembly. Diesel may be delayed like earlier models. Whichever is your choice it is a wait-and-watch game. My advice, avoid selling your current vehicle till you get the vehicle allocated.
ANIKETMH007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 19:56   #935
BHPian

A few days back, I took a test drive of the Scorpion AT in both diesel and petrol AT avatars.

Some observations:

1. Petrol felt much more agile than diesel.

2. It's ridiculously easy to drive a Scorpion. I currently drive a GT TSI, and it still never felt as if I was driving a humongous vehicle.

However, no steering feedback is a turn off. I mean, why should an off-roader vehicle feel like a first generation i20? Of course, I am exaggerating a bit here, but the steering is very light and quite vague.

3. Space management has no scope here. Vehicles which let one see the bonnet from the driving position will not be naturally spacious. This is a Scorpio and a SUV, so there is no point comparing space to MPVs.

4. The 3rd row should have been optional. There are many who need a Scorpion but don't need 7 seats. The boot space gets compromised with the folded 3rd row.

5. Doors don't feel solid enough. I know the shell structure is very strong, but the thud would have made the experience a bit more premium, even at the cost of slightly increased kerb.

6. The gear lever on the auto variant feels a bit awkward. I mean, compared to my GT TSI, I found it a bit difficult to slot into D.

Moreover, no backlight illustration for drive mode is disappointing. I am used to slotting my car in D, P, or R and then cross-checking by looking at the corresponding illuminated letter. In ScorpioN, one has to look at MID, which itself gets hindered by the steering wheel.

7. The brakes are a bit too strong for my liking and are not as progressive as in my GT TSI. I mean, with the slightest of pedal input, the vehicle nose dives. I loved the braking distance but could not figure out how much to press the pedal.

8. The XUV700 standing next to her felt like a proper MPV, despite the fact that she is not.

9. The rear looks odd, but I hardly care. The beastie front compensates a bit here.

10. Alexa did not work. The sales rep tried to show off. I don't even care for such gimmicks.

11. I found the ride quality to be very good, probably because my current ride is very soft-sprung. The road undulations were smothered with ease.

Basically, I don't need such a big, off-road capable vehicle with low FE. But everything else available in this price range doesn't feel like value.

Moreover, the resale (if I have to sell) will be extremely good in the short term, at least.

So, I decided to book a Z8 AT diesel. My heart said petrol though.

I tried booking at Dot 11 but the payment button didn't respond for 6 minutes. I made the mistake of refreshing the page, and that probably led to losing introductory pricing.

Finally, I got the booking at the non-introductory price at 11:16 AM.

I booked 2 vehicles, both diesel Z8 AT Forest Green, with 2 different dealers (Just in case the first dealer acts funny and doesn't accept my buying conditions of self-insurance, self-registration, and absolutely no extras). I booked one at a small town dealer, since I believe Mahindra may follow some sort of algorithm, and so the small town guy could deliver faster.
Indepth is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 23:33   #936
BHPian

I booked a Z8 diesel too, and yes you can get a front camera and sensors as aftermarket accessories. The quality of the Mahindra camera is bad, with a lot of lag, so better to get it from some car accessories dealer.

Am really sad that I couldn't get within the first 25000 customers, despite getting it done through a dealer and having paid 21000 on the 4th of July. Extremely unfair if after having booked on the first day I have to pay a higher price.

Already looking at used cars and if by end August I don't get any confirmation about my serial number and any expected date of delivery, am withdrawing my money and buying something else. The Scorpio was a dream in 2005, when I couldn't afford it and had to settle for a used Bolero GLX. Even now it will remain a dream.
Oreen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 00:47   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
A few days back, I took a test drive of the Scorpion AT in both diesel and petrol AT avatars.

Some observations:
6. The gear lever on the auto variant feels a bit awkward. I mean, compared to my GT TSI, I found it a bit difficult to slot into D.

Moreover, no backlight illustration for drive mode is disappointing. I am used to slotting my car in D, P, or R and then cross-checking by looking at the corresponding illuminated letter. In ScorpioN, one has to look at MID, which itself gets hindered by the steering wheel.
I sold my GT TSI and got a Thar. So I get when you say you found it difficult to slot the gears. While it is never going to be butter smooth like the DSG, after a couple of months with the Thar, I don't even notice it or find the shifts difficult. Not sure if the gears became smooth or if I got used to it.

For the second part, are you saying you look down at the gear lever to see what mode you are on? Isn't that a bad habit? Even in the GT, it is much more easier to look at the MID.
Old 2nd August 2022, 08:31   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
For the second part, are you saying you look down at the gear lever to see what mode you are on? Isn't that a bad habit? Even in the GT, it is much more easier to look at the MID.
I am just used to looking at the gear lever. Yes, probably a bad habit.
But as I said, the position indicator on MID is obscured by the steering wheel, from my driver position. A telescopic steering could have solved the problem.
Anyway, it is not a big deal, just will need getting used too.

However, no telescopic steering is a huge miss!!
Indepth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 10:07   #939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
But as I said, the position indicator on MID is obscured by the steering wheel, from my driver position. A telescopic steering could have solved the problem.
Anyway, it is not a big deal, just will need getting used too.

However, no telescopic steering is a huge miss!!
Brother, just trying to understand how the MID is obscured by the steering wheel when the purpose of the tilt steering is to adjust the height of the steering as per your preference to see the speedo behind.

Also, when the seat can be adjusted to match your comfortable position, i fail to understand why telescopic steering which essentially brings the steering closer to the driver should be missed so much.

If a person is well built, eventually he is going to be closer to the steering in some sense or the other. How is telescopic movement going to help further ? If a person is slim and short, he anyways has to slide forward to reach the pedals which eventually brings the steering closer to the body.

Experts can help understand this point a bit..
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:38   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Also, when the seat can be adjusted to match your comfortable position, i fail to understand why telescopic steering which essentially brings the steering closer to the driver should be missed so much.
I have long legs and to find a comfortable position where I can get under-thigh support, I need to push the seat all the way to the back. In that position, the reach adjustment of the steering wheel would definitely come in handy to find a position without stretching your arms completely. Unfortunately, some manufacturers like Hyundai and Mahindra do not provide telescopic adjustments in most (if not all) of their cars and I don't know why.

PS: I own both Hyundai and a Mahindra and have observed that in the non-luxory segment, they offer the most seat travel compared to the others like Tata and VW.
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:45   #941

Quote:
Today after seeing the replies in this thread, I went ahead and booked online. Surprisingly it is showing 'Introductory Price*' and booking date as 2nd Aug.
I believe many of the booking confirmations have been updated to reflect that the introductory prices are now applicable.

Folks who've booked please check yours?
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:46   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Going to be spending a couple of days with the Scorpio-N Diesel AT, including a highway drive. Have planned it such because it's such an important car. Will post my observations on this thread later in July . All in all, I think I'll be putting 500 - 600 km on it.
Hi GTO,

Any update on this review? I am sure there are plenty of us waiting to hear from you.
acquillew is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 13:52   #943
BHPian

Took a test drive of Z8L 4wd Diesel at home on Sunday. We already have a Scorpio. Could not manage any off roading but drove on good & bad roads.

My observations

1. Steering tilt doesn’t go upwards much, But seat goes quite a way down.

2. Sony sound system is good but it is not audiophile great.

3. Ride quality is good on any kind of surface.

4. Middle row will be tight for 3 well built adults.

5. Third row and luggage space is a big let down with missing a/c vents, I need full 7 seats in Scorpio, don’t like XUV/Innovas feeling of Scorpio/BoF SUVs is unbeatable. Everyone has different needs but this point (third row) is almost a deal breaker for our household.

6. Will surely love side facing seats, Mahindra should offer them at least as an accessory. Will greatly improve ergonomics and luggage space for persons who need them, me included . Actually bought the old one for the side facing seats which not many 7 seaters offer. Kids and last row occupants can get down easily without disturbing the middle row people, chiefly ladies and elderly. Besides we manage plenty of luggage and never needed to install any roof rack.

7. A 12V socket should be provided on dash, as gadgets like iPad need more power to charge and central location will help in using pump for tyres which I regularly use.

8. I prefer the side opening boot as it is easy to mount my bicycle carrier.

Conclusion: The SUV is good and we will be discussing if we can manage.

Some shots with my Scorpio which is soiled due to heavy rains

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-752a7ca30ea84bd2bd15e26f218d8c53.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-a812ceb266734c5fab6bd8fcc6efe4b8.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-8f92768ba2ff468da273a49e8f4dd1ff.jpeg

Last edited by 2himanshu : 2nd August 2022 at 14:03.
2himanshu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 13:59   #944
BHPian

Is anybody aware of the petrol manual test drive car availability at any showroom in NCR?

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 2nd August 2022 at 14:01.
Old 2nd August 2022, 15:09   #945

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Is anybody aware of the petrol manual test drive car availability at any showroom in NCR?
Yes, Petrol Manual is my 1st choice as well and I'd registered for my interest from the other no. with Koncept Mahindra Lajpat Nagar, received a call a week before Bookings started, they have Petrol Manual and Diesel AT, but thought of going TD after the bookings. You may proceed there, but do enquire first.
Rigs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks