Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2022, 20:33   #331
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Here you go boys. I guess after seeing this you will attain the same level of confusion that I have attained.
Please refer to the screenshots attached.
The e-brochure appears somewhere on this thread, posted a few days ago, in case you want to cross check further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
Can you give a link/screenshot for this info?

The Z4 variants are really confusing. As far as i could make out, it was not specified which Z4 diesel variant gets which state of tune.

If diesel AT also gets lower state of tune then no option than to go with z6 manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Why would two sets of variants, being launched together, have two different types of steering ? As it is the different engines are causing a difference in the whole production process, why add another key difference ?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-e49d32c262ed49258cb0d29fef604d62.png  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-a804d123343b492e9ad96e58b4951f85.png  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-d57c205f3b67436e89db226d87ad3269.png  

shankar.balan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 20:35   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
There are several videos of the base model on Youtube, such as this one:
These are not videos of the real car. They are graphic animations of variants available on the ScorpioN website put out by Mahindra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
And the other state of tune being 97 KW at 3750rpm producing 300NM torque at 1500 to 3000 rpm. As per the brochure the Z4 AT, gets this lower state of tune. Importantly, in the lower variants, only the Z4 MT gets 4WD.
The Z4 Diesel AT gets the more powerful tune. Only the MT (that too Z2 and Z4) get the lower power tune. Please see below.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-20220708-8.33.18-pm.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th July 2022 at 21:34. Reason: small correction.
84.monsoon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 20:36   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Here you go
Sorry, where does this say that Z4 AT gets a lower state of tune?
Old 8th July 2022, 20:39   #334
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

It was my mistake I mis typed AT when I ought to have typed MT.
As per the brochure the Manual Z4 is the one that gets 4WD and the lower state of tune. I wonder why this is.

Basically I like everything about the Z4 and Z6. I also like the 6 seater concept.
I don’t understand why they cannot give the AT and 4WD capabilities to these particular variants as well as the higher state of tune even to the MT.
I wonder perhaps if some of the powers that are at M&M were deciding all these variants and specifications by drawing lots or by rolling dice or something, because there does not seem to be any logic or science in these aspects.

This piece is disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The Z4 Diesel AT gets the more powerful tune. Only the MT (that too Z2 and Z4) get the lower power tune. Please see below.
Quote:
Sorry, where does this say that Z4 AT gets a lower state of tune?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 8th July 2022 at 20:43. Reason: Additional info
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 21:27   #335
BHPian

Quote:
So it seems that if one wants AT and 4WD and the powerful diesel engine there is absolutely no option but to choose the Z8 or Z8L.
Quote:
The Z4 variants are really confusing. As far as i could make out, it was not specified which Z4 diesel variant gets which state of tune.
Quote:
Quote:
As per the brochure the Manual Z4 is the one that gets 4WD and the lower state of tune. I wonder why this is.
Allow me to add to the confusion (and hopefully, along with something promising - at least for those looking for MT 4wd on the Z4). As per this slide from Scorpio N's launch video, while Z4 Diesel MT will get the lower tune, both Z4 AT 2wd and Z4 MT 4wd will get the higher tune (175 PS). Both AT and 4wd together aren't available on the Z4 at all, so no question of which engine tune that gets.

Of course, Z4 Diesel doesn't get both AT and 4wd together because... Thar.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpionz4.png

Here is the confirmation from Mahindra website as well (variants and pricing section on https://auto.mahindra.com/suv/scorpio-n )

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-z4diesel.png

Last edited by tarunjain : 8th July 2022 at 21:50. Reason: Added website images for confirmation.
tarunjain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 22:01   #336
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
It was my mistake I mis typed AT when I ought to have typed MT.
As per the brochure the Manual Z4 is the one that gets 4WD and the lower state of tune.
Are you sure?
As far as I have seen during the launch and in mahindra cart, Z4 4x4 D MT gets higher state of tune.
Sharing the pic that I recieved from mahindra sales team aswell.
Attached Images

HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 22:48   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
Also , personally the space inside felt quite less compared to XUV 700
True. Even my wife and I felt the same. Waiting to TD the AT Diesel. I'm wondering if the ride and comfort will be good as my Hexa AT.
Old 8th July 2022, 22:53   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Why would two sets of variants, being launched together, have two different types of steering ? As it is the different engines are causing a difference in the whole production process, why add another key difference ?
I have seen that shiny, double pinion EPS steering rack (open the bonnet and look down towards the LHS of the vehicle), it looks expensive and it sure feels like it when you drive it. I won't blame them if they limit it to the more expensive variants.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 23:39   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys. Simple.

Z2 petrol gets normal 203bhp engine with manual transmission and Electric power steering.

Z2 and Z4 diesel manual 2WD gets Thar spec. 130bhp with hydraulic power steering.

Z4 diesel automatic gets 173bhp and 6speed auto with Electric power steering.

Z4 4WD gets 173bhp and manual transmission with Electric power steering. But loses out on the off-road modes(sand,snow,mud), MLD and BLD.

Quote:
There are several videos of the base model on Youtube, such as this one:.
Saw this video listing but didn't watch it as could make out this was a clickbaity video from the thumbnail itself. Those poorly blackened ORVM and steelies gave it away.

Guess these are from the official videos from Mahindra itself. Don't think the lower variants would be available anytime soon, either in reviews or showrooms. Not sure if they have even started producing it, cause would have been leaked by now.
DicKy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 00:05   #340
Senior - BHPian

Folks, any idea if the Diesel MT version has come up for test drive anywhere?

How long are the test drives being offered?

Suddenly, especially for Mahindra it is a sellers market out there, and outlet close to me has been acting up a bit. The good fellow I was in touch with has moved out.

~~~~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Is this a screengrab from some video? Or is the configurator up and running on the website?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Saw this video listing but didn't watch it as could make out this was a clickbaity video from the thumbnail itself. Those poorly blackened ORVM and steelies gave it away.
Oh well, just that the screenshot you were enquiring about can be seen in the said video (0:42)

Quote:
These are not videos of the real car. They are graphic animations of variants available on the ScorpioN website put out by Mahindra.
Thanks, yes, it appears so.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 00:53   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, any idea if the Diesel MT version has come up for test drive anywhere?

How long are the test drives being offered?

Suddenly, especially for Mahindra it is a sellers market out there, and outlet close to me has been acting up a bit. The good fellow I was in touch with has moved out.
Hiya Poitive, test drives have been going on for a few days now in my state. I dropped by the dealership where we had purchased our XUV 7OO from to get a look at the Scorpio-N. The sales advisor who helped us out during our purchase of our XUV 7OO greeted me when I visited and showed me around the car - at the end, he offered me a test drive as well, but since I was in a hurry, I had to decline. Sharing a few observations from the limited time I spent with the car -

1. Exteriors - The front end looks okayish to me and doesn't stand out as much as the XUV 7OO does although the headlights look beautiful. I guess Mahindra chose to opt for a more somber design with this car. The scorpion detailing on the fogs also looks well done.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_155551.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_155555.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_155556.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_155609.jpg

The back looks like a mish mash of sorts and I felt it really didn't gel well with the overall looks but the tail-lights looked lovely.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_155824.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_155835.jpg

2. Features/Gimmicks - The cameras for some reason was very grainy and compared with the one on our XUV 7OO, it felt like I was watching the output of a VGA camera on the Scorpio-N. The front parking sensors though should have been added on the XUV 7OO as well but maybe because of the poor camera resolution of the Scorpio-N's front camera, Mahindra decided to put front parking sensors as well Also, regarding the rear parking sensors, I don't get how Mahindra can put 4 for the Scorpio, but only 2 for the XUV 7OO. Anyway, the Scorpio-N seems pretty well equipped when it comes to parking sensors. Also, regarding the sunroof (didn't click any pics), the manually retractable sunblind was so smooth to pull unlike the one on my Hyundai Creta which feels a bit hard. The Touchscreen while being smaller felt just right for the car.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_155035.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_155032.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_154828.jpg

3. Interiors - The glovebox was the first thing I checked because of the official review and yes, it felt flimsy and was quite surprising for me since everything else looked so well appointed.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_154837.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_154835.jpg

There is padding on the door pads but only on the part where you rest your elbows, the rest of the doorpad had been colored with the same coffee color to make it seem like it has soft padding but that's only limited to a small part. The steering was another thing I wanted to check out and yes, it feels lower rent compared to the XUV 7OO which got glossy finish on the steering controls but Scorpio-N gets matte finish - though I prefer the matte finish on the Scorpio.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_154818.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_154808.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_154810.jpg

I also liked the matte - non glossy finish on the console surrounding the gear lever since the glossy finish on our XUV 7OO has been scratched quite a bit. This matte finish will help maintain the plastic longer.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_154823.jpg

The stalks seemed to be more or less of the same quality as on my XUV 7OO and seemed durable.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_154815.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_154813.jpg

Coming to the centre armrest, the storage area is pitiable and I couldn't control my amusement and laughter as I opened the central armrest. The storage area is so limited. Also, it didn't slide in the version they had inside the showroom.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_154712.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_154708.jpg

The boot area surprised me as the storage actually seemed decent with all the seats up. There is a hook as well on the bottom of the third row seat which you can latch on to the 2nd row neck support rod to keep it in place. With all the rows up, it seemed to offer decent enough space but flat folding split seats would have been better as the seats eat into the overall space.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_154629.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_154607.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708_154603.jpg

That about sums up my quick observations from the little time I spent with the car. They only had the 2WD variants for TD and I want to TD the 4WD version which I'm hoping would replace my 5 year old Hyundai Creta. But still undecided on that, will TD and see.
wadewilson is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 09:55   #342
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Going to be spending a couple of days with the Scorpio-N Diesel AT, including a highway drive. Have planned it such because it's such an important car. Will post my observations on this thread later in July . All in all, I think I'll be putting 500 - 600 km on it.
GTO is offline   (75) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 12:27   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Going to be spending a couple of days with the Scorpio-N Diesel AT, including a highway drive. Have planned it such because it's such an important car. Will post my observations on this thread later in July . All in all, I think I'll be putting 500 - 600 km on it.
Thank you! Eagerly waiting for your review. Loved your Thar review which was spot on like always and helped me make my decision.

Thanks for all the reviews posted here by fellow members. Amazing to read so many different persepectives, many of which would have never crossed my mind if not for this fabulous forum.
alokk0912 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 12:56   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Z4 AT is one of the high value variants. I too, expect them to price the Diesel Z4 AT at 14.99 as there are states where road tax slabs go higher beyond 15 lakhs. It has simply everything that one needs for use in the City as well as on highways. It can handle a fair bit of rough roads or no roads even without the 4X4. You get all the important safety features including the all-important ESP, which is critical for such a large and tall BOF vehicle. You get the full 175HP/400NM tune, Cruise Control, 8-inch touchscreen infotainment, Android Auto, Apple Car Play, Hill-hold and Hill-descent, front and rear disc brakes, rear parking sensors, cooled glovebox, Frequency-dependant damping, adjustable lumbar support, rear wiper and washer, skid plates, electrically adjustable ORVMs, LED turn signals on ORVMs, multi-link rear suspension, Load-bearing roof rails, LED tail lamps, Rear spoiler with high mounted stop lamp etc.

The top end Thar LX Diesel AT sells for much higher (16 lakhs plus) but gets an inferior feature set compared to the ScorpioN Z4 Diesel AT (No rear disk brakes, no FDD, less power (130HP/300NM versus 175HP/400NM), smaller 7 inch touch-screen etc, seating for 4 instead of 7, no roof rails, no rear wiper/washer, no electrically adjustable ORVMs etc). Only thing it gets additionally is 4WD, and nice looking 18 inch alloy wheels. Do a swap to the 18 inch wheels and tires on your ScorpioN and you are off and away with a good looking, capable SUV that can go almost anywhere in great comfort at a reasonable price point.

Compare that to Kia - you get a Sonet (which will look like a midget next to the ScoprioN) and is nothing but a hatchback on stilts with far inferior safety for that price point.
Even I am finding Z4 to be a value for money variant. Will the non led headlamps atleast have a projector in one of the barrels or just no projector like lower variants of Scorpio's previous model? Brochure mentions nothing about this.

Also I could not figure out what is this highlighted part in brochure?
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpion.png

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 9th July 2022 at 13:01.
saurabh041086 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 14:43   #345
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Got to test drive the Z8L petrol MT today.

I walked away impressed and annoyed.
Let's walk through the pros and cons first:

Pros:
  • Presence is imposing. Looks cute and massive. Don't have frontal pictures though.
    Expect the crowd to give way once they see you in the RVMs
  • Impressive NVH. Only subtle vibrations and the tachometer suggest that the engine is rotating. Most bad roads and bumps will get filtered out easily
  • The engine is incredible. Absolutely smooth and soundless below 2000rpm and thick meaty growl above that. 200PS is a lot and you will feel it once you put your paw down. Managed to slide out the rear at a U-turn (did scare the SA). Managed 100 on short notice. Also, the clutch is super light. Lighter than my dad's swift. Lighter than my Logitech G29. Guess I could drive this one in Bangalore and Mumbai.
  • Handling is fabulous. Steering feels as fake and light as a toy below 20km/h. Does weigh up above that and faced none of the lightness issues everyone mentions. Brakes are exceptionally sharp. Prepare to get rear-ended.
  • Space. A lot for me. I am 5' 1" and round. No complaints in terms of space and seating.
    Seats are quite comfortable. Rear space isn't an issue. Does feel a bit more roomy than the Fortuner. Not like I'm going to cry about 3rd row and cargo space.
  • Visibility is great as it has a fantastic greenhouse. Sunroof is big enough for me at least. Front and rear cameras have decent resolution and not as bad as people say. Was easy puttering around on a super crowded street.
  • Suspension. This is a new benchmark in the class for BoF that is. Duster and Hexa owners won't be overjoyed but it will keep them happy. Way better than Fortuner but I had no complains with the latter to begin with. Bad roads? No roads? Not a problem. The pitching and lateral juggle is gone now to quite an extent
  • Equipment. I have few requirements to begin with (camera, carplay and android auto) and it does offer more than that. Sadly couldn't figure out the wireless phone integration on such a short test drive.
  • Efficiency. Didn't check. Didn't ask. But should be liveable if everyone started driving like me. Gearing is well adjusted and you can easily stay below 1500rpm in the city.
  • Infotainment. Sound quality is quite good and the Sony system is worth getting. It was able to handle RHCP, Death, Linkin Park and Symphony X without breaking a sweat. I expect most to not wanting an audio upgrade.

With that out of the way, let's look at the negatives.

Cons:
  • Steering wheel position. My god, this was a bad experience. My foot won't reach the clutch. Moving the seat forward would stab my belly with the steering wheel. I was sitting awkwardly for the entire test drive.
    Reach adjustment is SORELY MISSED. Surprisingly, did not feel this with the automatic as both pedals were within reach.
    This was never an issue when I drove the bhaiya wala Scorpio Classic MT few years back.
  • 360 camera. While the front camera is really good, it will not help me see if my FL wheel is going off the cliff.
  • Sunroof button. I was not able to completely close it. It will either go into vent mode or open up. I just wasn't able to press the rocker switch right.
  • Supply chain woes. There'll be a lot of trouble trying to own one. Expect substantial price hikes as the demand creeps in.

Bottom line: this is it. This is the vehicle that I've been looking for. A proper modern and upmarket body-on-frame at nearly sane prices and very little to complain about.
A lot of it seems to be drawn out of Alturas.
This is, indeed a 60-70% of a Fortuner at 50% the cost (maybe 85% with a remap)

And now, the few pictures I managed to take:

Big boye:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-180d2a9d02804cf48f96f4cbd7282234.jpeg

60 frames per second cluster. Very smooth and very classy. Reminds me of the G4:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-245c52a47cb141caaa10b7385d590038.jpeg

More spacious than Kevin Spacey:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-f904cd94a0984e718dedf91c979e861f.jpeg

Backseat view with the "problemroof":
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-2bd63c52e4ed4adda3d8c8c114fcd0a2.jpeg

Big screen:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-2c40d2d935784f63b5fefa5f68e28754.jpeg

Navigation:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-9808add8a6894619a31c7b02ea0e7776.jpeg

Extra small driver POV:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-11f1472763794bb1bab24e40773b9573.jpeg

Really hope to own one someday and grow a big fluffy moustache
Overall, Nikhil and Pallav were very good SAs and Narain Mahindra is pretty good.

PS. Couples and ladies, there are better places to do romance or talk on phones other than inside showroom display vehicles.

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 9th July 2022 at 14:50.
vredesbyrd is offline   (35) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks