Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2022, 15:34   #361
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Can anybody help with understanding how is Mahindra's diesel performing on these DPF issues in BS6 era?
When I got my Petrol Thar last year Nov, my neighbor got Diesel Thar at the same time. No issues reported on DPF by him yet. Issues may come if you are driving in bumper to bumper only and turning off your engine intermittently.

If you are driving at more than 2000 rpm for 20-25 mins once in week or two, you should be fine. I read about issues faced by few in hilly regions at sub zero temperature. This was last year oct. Don't have first hand experience though.

You may want to visit Thar review thread. DPF issue was discussed at length last year.
alokk0912 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 16:03   #362

First of all, Thank You Team-BHP for accepting my request for membership
Coming back to Scorpio^N, I have carted in Z4 Petrol Manual(NCR 10 year limit comes into play). Auto was never my choice for the lack of control of the machine. The SUV have many positives as compared to negatives, it is class apart, but not in budget(as of now), you get lackluster engines and/or tin-shell designs from every other auto brand selling in this price bracket, indeed you'll get extra gimmicky features and a bit better mileage, but these things won't help at the time of collision, god forbid if it happens.

Had a thought about the mileage factor among other things and luxuries(read gimmicks) a lot and I found:
1. The mileage issue goes away with the Diesel options, with added benefit of power and torque.
2. You always get Power at disposal, drive serenely and you can always fetch good mileage too. It can be manipulated by driving style, but power cannot be achieved the other way around.
3. Driving a smaller but feature loaded vehicle can be fun a few days, but driving, owning a big vehicle will always be more practical in terms of space, power, etc until the car's life.
4. Almost all the Features can be installed aftermarket nowadays, and personally I don't think the warranty claim on electronics are of much use.

Did a thorough checkup of the vehicle some days back, here are my Observations(and probable solutions to issues):

1. The Car IS HUGE[period] Feels like actual D segment(atleast by size)

2. Doors and Sheet quality is at par just like with any other latest Mahindras(wasn't able to open front passenger door the first time )

3. Bootspace, although not much with the 3 rows up, is not microscopic either, small strollers and shoulder bags can be fitted(fix: installing roof mounted career option will always be available)

4. Checked the tumbled down 3rd row seats, 50-50 split should've been given, the rear wheel well caves out inside boot making the floor uneven(fix: a thin wooden board or solid cardboard with included brackets underneath to make it a flat boot. it can be extended till the tumbled 3rd row seats as well by lifting the 3rd row seats height a bit using fastners/washers etc.)
--> increasing 3rd row height should make some more legroom for passengers which normally can fit upto 5.5ft person comfortably.

5. Similar issue with "Non-sliding" 2nd Row seats, shows complete ignorance by Mahindra in this field as well after the less-practical storage spaces within the SUV! C'mon Mahindra, at least improve these minor tweaks in your updated vehicles.(fix: I've researched about Universal Seat Channels/Sliders(refer video), this system should easily install atleast for the Captain 2nd Row Seats, and with some tweaks, in bench seats as well).

6. Had Mahindra provided Z4 petrol/diesel manual variant with ESC, Hill Hold as well, it would've been the most seller variant in their stable. Restricting these additional safety features exclusively for Z4 AT means they literally want to cash out the most from this variant in mid-range and will price accordingly. Anyways, Z4 still remains the most VFM variant.

A query though, as the deliveries will start from Aug-end - September, many people will get the vehicle post October(from where it is mandatory to provide 6 Airbags with the vehicle as standard), so persons choosing the variants having 2 airbags at the time of initial bookings, will they get upgraded 6 Airbags or 2?

Final verdict:
-> The Practicality(Solid, Famous, Adequately Featured and DIY friendly vehicle),
-> Cost Equation(taking Introductory Price) compared with pseudo SUVs,
-> Growling Power(best in segment, and a segment above as well),
-> Improved Handling(as observed by many members),
-> Trusted Safety(as per recent track records of Indian Brands who really care!)
-> Less Delivery Time(hoping the new technique being pursued this time by Mahindra actually bears fruit)
-> Most of Mahindra vehicles are more a choice of heart than mind, and you care more the thing which you've decided with your heart, so don't hesitate to DIY/customize as per your taste because this vehicle have that potential. I hope all the members get under 25k limit

Possible Fixes for 2nd Row:

Rigs is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 17:24   #363
Senior - BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/166576.jpg

Was going through reviews on youtube trying to find more info about the infotainment system when I came across this review that showed the navigation in the center console. Pretty cool feature really

The review I took the screenshot from also shows the headlights at night.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 18:16   #364
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio-N automatic real world fuel economy tested.

Quote:
These cars are driven in fixed city and highway loops and we maintain certain average speeds. Periodic driver swaps neutralise variations in driver patterns.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-smartselect_20220710181539_chrome.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 10th July 2022 at 18:18.
Venkatesh is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 18:34   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
That will be a downer for many. Unless real world figures by owners come out showing better numbers.

For comparison, the typical FE for our manual 2.2 litre engine SUV's is 9-10 in city, or a bit more, and 14-17 on highway.
condor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 20:02   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actual real world just might be lower considering they say:
Quote:
1. Our tests were conducted in Zip mode, which marginally dulled the performance in the interest of fuel efficiency...
2. Throughout our test, there is only one person in each car,...
1. The already detuned diesel further being used in the lowest mode might make it for a rather basic (boring?) drive. It significantly defeats the purpose of a high capacity engine (of course not totally)

2. Typical weight would also be more than 1 person.

Users might get even lower, but am not surprised. Quoting a portion of a multi-point post on the Choosing an SUV thread before any of the reviews had started coming out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Some observations, notes, and guesses about the ScorpioN
  1. Finish: I expect...
  2. Fuel Efficiency: A significantly lower FE than the XUV700 due to it being a bit heavier at about 1900kgs vs the 1742 to ~1800 kgs of the XUV700; worse aerodynamics (greater height and width, also A pillar is closer to vertical than the 700); it being a RWD vs the FWD of the 700; likely shorter gear ratios due to lesser torque and to aid a bit of off road (only a guess); more unsprung mass due to heavier suspension (double-wishbone), and also bigger tyres (this would hurt even more in stop and go city-traffic).

The Diesel being detuned will go in favour of better FE though.
  3. Ingress-Egress: The A pillar being...
  4. Torque:... Torque to weight ratio calculated at 1900kgs is ~195 Nm/Tonne. Hector and Harrier are...
  5. Display etc: The bezel...
  6. Steering: It was interesting to note...
  7. Ease of Driving: It is likely to be...
  8. Alturas G4 link: The design of this one...
  9. Rear: The side of the exterior not taken from the Alturas...
  10. Ride and Handling: ...
  11. Repairs: I really don't think this...
Let us see how it eventually pans out. Comparing the above guesses with the Test Drive experiences would be fun.
While my focus has been on the diesel, the petrol's city FE is a bit more than I expected.

What the Scorpio-N
would be able to do well is other things. For those who will actually use them, a slightly lesser FE might not bother. For others, might be well worth looking harder at the XUV700 (or other options in the market).

Last edited by Poitive : 10th July 2022 at 20:17. Reason: Refinement
Poitive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 22:21   #367
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2331648

Source
This seems to be simplifying the biggest question for people from NCR who prefer to retain the car longer.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 10th July 2022 at 22:39.
saurabh041086 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 23:07   #368
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2331648
The figures for the Diesel AT seem about the same that we’re getting on our XUV 7OO. We just returned yesterday from a trip to the city (250kms) and we tested using tankful to tankful method (auto-cutoff) and we got about 11.37 kmpl - note that we drove below the speed limit at 90kmph most of the time and we drove with a heavy foot.
wadewilson is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 23:38   #369
BHPian

11 kmpl on highway is very less for xuv700 diesel AT. 14-15 is easily attainable with full load on highways

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
we got about 11.37 kmpl - note that we drove below the speed limit at 90kmph most of the time and we drove with a heavy foot.
Old 11th July 2022, 00:45   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
got about 11.37 kmpl - note that we drove below the speed limit at 90kmph most of the time and we drove with a heavy foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshsharmab View Post
11 kmpl on highway is very less for xuv700 diesel AT. 14-15 is easily attainable with full load on highways
Was about to mention the same. Although FE varies considerably from city to city, the figures I got via tankful method for diesel AT on highway was 14.5 (Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai) and in city with the always crazy Mumbai traffic ~10. This is on the default Zap mode.
Tanmay007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 06:39   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2331648

Source
If diesel AT is giving 11.7 kmpl, then it is not so good mileage for Scorpio N. My Fortuner gives me 13 kmpl or more if I maintain speeds of 90 kmph on the odometer on the highway.
getsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 08:04   #372
BHPian

The way I look at it is that even thought the fuel efficiency is slightly lower vs the other options, the driving cost would be higher only by about Rs 1 - 1.5 per kilometer. So for a usage of one lakh kilometers it should be Rs 1 - 1.5 lakh higher fuel costs, which should be easily nullified by lower insurance and maintenance costs vs the other options.
ajayc123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 10:41   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
If diesel AT is giving 11.7 kmpl, then it is not so good mileage for Scorpio N. My Fortuner gives me 13 kmpl or more if I maintain speeds of 90 kmph on the odometer on the highway.
That's a great mileage for a Fortuner AT . I am wondering if ScorpioN Diesel-Manual would return a better mileage.

On the other hand, I am leaning more towards Innova Crysta now as it has no 3rd row or bootspace or brand reliability issues.

peace
sulliavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 11:31   #374
BHPian

Had a look at the Scorpio-N over the weekend. my observations might be skewed as i am using the Safari Storme (4x2) as the baseline -

a) The external dimensions has not translated into useable space inside the vehicle especially the middle row felt narrow and claustrophobic with the coffee brown interiors and artificial lighting at the showroom not helping.
b) Felt the driver headroom to be a bit less (did not fiddle with the seat height adjustment)
c) Styling definitely feels mellowed down when compared to the Scorpio OG (the new logo looks very gentleman(ly) on a Ruf-n-tuf product)
d) Not sure about the command seating as i did not take a test drive (the car was on a slightly raised platform within the showroom and hence it does feel you are sitting higher)
e) Sat inside the XUV7OO immediately after the Scorpio-N, the touch and feel of the XUV interior felt noticeably superior.

Overall mixed feelings, the Scorpio-N on paper is a logical successor to the Storme (Command seating for driver, BoF, RWD, Rugged etc) but at this point the best option seems to be to wait since the "N" apart from new-age tech additions does not really bring any enhancements/differentiators to the core product (my thoughts)

Showroom: Sireesh Auto, Silk Board
kochup is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 11:33   #375
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2331648

Source
Bye bye Scorpio N. Hello XUV700.

The value proposition goes out of the window with this info. If money is no object and you're getting the Z8 anyway, these numbers won't matter so much.

But for those of us on a budget, who were considering Z4 AT, this is a deal-breaker.

Last edited by naru80 : 11th July 2022 at 11:37.
naru80 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks