Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2022, 16:44   #346
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Z4 AT is one of the high value variants. I too, expect them to price the Diesel Z4 AT at 14.99 as there are states where road tax slabs go higher beyond 15 lakhs.
Fully agree about Z4 AT being most VFM variant due to combination of features available. It looks more tempting if compared to other options available at this price.

I doubt about 14.99 for Z4 AT, as Z4 MT ex. showroom price is 13.99 and along with transmission, there other additions as well and engine is also in higher tune. My guess is 1.5 - 2 lac premium over MT but lets see.
Old 9th July 2022, 17:34   #347
BHPian

I test drove the Scorpion N Diesel automatic today.

For me, there is absolutely no contest between XUV700 and Scorpio N. The XUV is way ahead in features, airiness, premium feel, and third row/folded boot space. If you are an urban dweller with a family who does weekend/occasional highway trips, XUV700 wins hands down.

Scorpio looks more imposing from the outside. Even though it does seems like the designers started at the front with a lot of inspiration but lost interest by the time they reached the back. In black color, the rear door doesn't look so bad. The sheer size of the vehicle takes some attention away from the half hearted tailgate design.

I am only considering the Scorpio for the price. The comparable variant in XUV is around 3 lakh more expensive. If i had the budget I would go for XUV.

The difference between MT and AT in XUV is 1.7 lakh. If it's the same in Scorpio N, then then my variant of choice ZX4 AT should come in at 14.69 (petrol) and 15.69 (diesel).

From the interest in the showroom, it looks like max bookings will be for the top Z8 variant. There is more interest in petrol than diesel (NCR factor).

Last edited by naru80 : 9th July 2022 at 17:45.
naru80 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 20:03   #348
BHPian

Looks like most of the interest are for AT models only.

What about MT ? we could save considerable amount of money on the car and on fuel as MTs will be more fuel efficient and have full control on gear shifting

peace
Old 9th July 2022, 22:09   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post

Also I could not figure out what is this highlighted part in brochure?
It may be the scorpion sting component in chrome above the glass between the C & D pillars in side profile. The same can be confirmed only after physically seeing Z2/Z4/Z6 variants as they don't seem to get it.
Old 9th July 2022, 22:36   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Going to be spending a couple of days with the Scorpio-N Diesel AT, including a highway drive.
Thank you very much. Its a favour to Ll the enthusiasts here.
A few humble requests for fulfilling the requirements of lesser mortals like me
1. Benchmarking ride quality against duster/ hexa
2. I have been driving duster manual in mumbai traffic for quite some time. I get 16+ mileage on duster even when in city (many times eastern express highway gives me free hand or leg) Is Scorpio N worth shifting to manual?
3. Do 18 inchers provide better ride or should we have 17 inchers with higher profile?
rooster.ram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 01:42   #351
BHPian

BTW, in the 7str models, the middle seats can be reclined in 3 steps but they can't be moved forward. The last row can be unbolted by removing 4 screws. However, this does not explain why it's so poorly designed.
slylenser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 02:13   #352
BHPian

I was expecting Mahindra to give us the same kind of variant range as they did with the 700, with a no frills, but still VFM base model, followed by no bling, some bling and full bling models.

Comparing variant to variant, the Z2 is much more sparsely equipped than the XUV700 MX, but then, the MX diesel now starts at 13.75 lacs ex-showroom, bringing it closer to the Z4 diesel (13.99 L) rather than the Z2. I get the feeling that the Scorpio being a RWD BOF vehicle, it is bound to attract a lot of bulk orders from various organisations, usually end up getting the absolute base model, and this, I think is the target market for the Z2.

From Z4, things get interesting, as you can spec the vehicle with AT or 4WD. Creature comforts also improve significantly, including the touchscreen audio system, powered ORVMs, and improved safety gear for the AT variants. This is clearly the actual base model for the individual buyer. It's a bit of a pity, because the base model Scorpios had their own charm with the unpainted plastic cladding giving them a butch, no nonsense look.

I have "carted" the Z4 Diesel AT in black. Hopefully, I do get included in the first 25k bookings. (Fingers crossed). I took a short TD of the diesel manual model, to see if I could manage the manual (and maybe upgrade to the Z6), but even though the clutch was light and the gearbox was positive (coming from diesel Ecosport), I felt the clutch travel was too long (same issue I have with the Ecosport and the reason for upgrading).

The Z4 diesel starts at 13.99 lakhs. A similar premium as the 700 should see the AT variant being priced 1.5 lacs higher than the manual (OK considering you also get the higher tune of engine, safety kit with an excellent TC transmission), which brings it to 15.49 lakhs.

Here's what else you can buy in that price range. (limiting to automatic only)

The Thar starts at Rs.15.94 Lakh for LX 4-Str Convert Top AT Diesel.
The Creta SX IVT Petrol is 15.86L and SX(O) diesel is 18.03 lakhs.
Kia Seltos HTX AT is 15.15 L (petrol) and 16.29 lakh (diesel)
The XUV700 AX3 AT starts at 17.58L for the diesel.
Harrier XMA AT is 17.35 lakh.

For the intro price at least, there isn't any SUV that can match the entry point set by the Z4 ScorpioN. The Creta and the Seltos have better equipment for sure, but IMO the amount of car and power that the ScorpioN delivers (at the launch price) is pretty unmatched, and personally, save for the touchscreen and the automatic transmission, they wouldn't feel like an upgrade from the Ecosport. This goes even more for the Sonet. The advantage is that since the cars are lighter, the cheaper petrol models would still have good mileage and sufficient power.

In the case of the 700 launch, the AX5 was the most VFM variant IMO, as it offered so much for about 1 lakhs over the AX3, including alloy wheels, sunroof, LED lighting, curtain airbags, ESC etc. In the case of the ScorpioN, the upgrade from Z4 to Z6 include the TFT console, wireless Carplay/AAuto, Alexa, connected car tech etc. The sunroof isn't panoramic, you don't get alloys or extra safety kit for the extra lakh.

Just my 2 cents. Interested to see if anyone else feels the same way, and if there's anything I missed that should be taken in consideration.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th July 2022 at 04:44. Reason: Scorp - ScorpioN
vivekgk is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 07:10   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
In the case of the ScorpioN, the upgrade from Z4 to Z6 include the TFT console, wireless Carplay/AAuto, Alexa, connected car tech etc. The sunroof isn't panoramic, you don't get alloys or extra safety kit for the extra lakh. Just my 2 cents. Interested to see if anyone else feels the same way, and if there's anything I missed that should be taken in consideration.
Fully agree - The Z6 is not a meaningful upgrade except if your family include major sunroof fans like 5-12 year old kids etc. I firmly believe the sunroof is a curiosity item that once opens once or twice a year and comes with major downside of having to live with heat penetrating through the blind most part of the year or mechanical failures later in the life of the car.

The next meaningful upgrade from the Z4 Diesel AT is the Z8 Diesel AT or Z8 Diesel AT 4WD, latter if you are likely to go off-road or want to join any of the Mahindra adventure events that happen around the country.
84.monsoon is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 08:50   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Just a colour change in the grill makes a significant difference to the look!
It always reminds me of a beige LandCruiser GX 2008 with steel wheels. So I wish the rear matched the front.

A link to refer the design, somehow cannot find it on a Toyota website.
(Credit to Providers) : Car Semsar

Last edited by shancz : 10th July 2022 at 08:54. Reason: Naming source
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 09:56   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Sheel and I got to spend some time with the Mahindra Scorpio-N during the media drive in Pune. Here are our quick and brief observations:
Great reviews. The pictures as usual are very well selected to show the important bits and the subtle details. Well compiled.

I like what Mahindra has done with the new Scorpio. How well the strategy of two 7 seater SUVs at the same price point differentiated only by chassis design remains to be seen. Would the expense be better put to develop an entirely new entry in a separate segment is a question.

Couple of basic things that I wish Mahindra had ironed out. Firstly the access to the door pocket when the door is shut is still tight. This is usually one of the spaces that is most accessible. An even bigger bug bear is the lack of a flat loading floor when the third row is folded.

While performance would not have any deficiency I think the ride while a great improvement over the previous gen would still be choppy. Looking forward to taking a TD an verifying this for myself. I think Mahindra should benchmark competitors than the previous generation.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 09:59   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Fully agree - The Z6 is not a meaningful upgrade except if your family include major sunroof fans like 5-12 year old kids etc. I firmly believe the sunroof is a curiosity item that once opens once or twice a year and comes with major downside of having to live with heat penetrating through the blind most part of the year or mechanical failures later in the life of the car.

The next meaningful upgrade from the Z4 Diesel AT is the Z8 Diesel AT or Z8 Diesel AT 4WD, latter if you are likely to go off-road or want to join any of the Mahindra adventure events that happen around the country.
My kid isn't old enough to demand a sunroof yet, but typically kids want the sunroof so that they can open it and put their head outside, or stand up on the seat and put their entire body outside, or something equally rash and dangerous. I know that the ads just show the kids sitting blissfully on their seats, properly belted up and dreamily enjoying the gentle sunlight or moonlight or stars etc, but the reality is different. I have been in a couple of occasions in cars with sunroofs and the kids end up fighting with the parents, begging and fighting to put their body outside, or sit on the edge with their feet dangling etc. And there's always the risk of fruit or coconuts or a dislodged stone falling on top and causing bodily harm rather than a dented roof.

One thing I wouldn't contest though is that it is a cool, premium addition. Impractical, because it adds failure points and potential rust points, as well as offering an additional point of entry for break-ins, but cool nonetheless and it adds a premium feel.

Regarding the offroad events, I 'm sure there are non-hard-core trails that could be enjoyed even in 2WD vehicles, as I've seen 2WD Boleros and Scorpios and TUVs in several of the pics here, with the increased GC requirement and tight turns providing the challenge. Plus, RWD offers a better setup for the occasional drift on dirt roads, esp since the ScorpN has the power to make it fun.

It just struck me that the ScorpioN is the only powerful RWD option uder 15 lacs out there which is also practical. Bolero/Neo/s lack power and everything else in that range is FWD. Find a way to lower the suspension and add an LSD and a base model ScorpN could be a lot of fun, esp the Petrol.
vivekgk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 10:21   #357
BHPian

Since I am in Kolkata (hometown) now, I thought to check out the Scorpio N. Yesterday visited the Mahindra showroom Royal Motors, SP Mukherjee road (South Kolkata, near Mudiali). They had a display car of Deep forest dark green colour of top end variant which looked awesome. I liked the exterior look of the Scorpio N better than the XUV700. However the interior quality is perhaps a bit down than XUV700. Since I own a 6 year old Swift, everything looked good and spacious for me from inside of the Scorpio N.

With the driver's seat set at my convenient position, my sitting position at 2nd row was comfortable and spacious. I am 6 feet tall and on bulkier side.

I didn't go to the 3rd Row. It is useless for me (only 2 members- me and wife). We rarely have 2+ passengers occupying the car. Basically I need a spacious 5 seater really strong and durable SUV.

Then the SA Mr. Arup Bhattacharjee explained major features. The metal sheet parts inside the engine bay area (after opening the bonnet) were very thin and flexible, similar of maruti cars?? Or is the flex due to large dimension? I have some doubts on the sheet metal strength. May get dents or deformation easily.

Then the SA offered me for a test drive. It was a brief test drive of about 1.5 km. They had the TD Scorpio N Petrol AT top end. The cabin of the car was super silent. The console controls, all switches etc. were within easy reach for me. This aspect is very important to me. I found my preferred driving position very quickly.

My major concerns during this very brief test drive are:

1. Steering is extremely light. I do not feel comfortable/ confident with this kind of lifeless feather light steering. I need the car for hill drives and twisting highways.

2. The brake pedal was feather light again. Only a sharp jerk made me understand the car actually stopped.

3. The accelerator/ race pedal is also feather light.

Are newer cars made like this nowadays. I don't have much experience with various types of cars or new cars except some new Maruti Suzuki cars.

Now my feelings about this brief TD. I simply loved it! And I am planning to get a long and detailed TD once I am back to Gurgaon next week, only if any of the Mahindra dealership is willing to oblige a non-local service person like me!

1. Any suggestions of such good dealership in Gurgaon? (Once I visited the Sohna road showroom, I do not wish to go back there again. Couldn't understand their language properly.)

2. How can I avoid the NCR related issues for Diesel car? Or shall I settle for Petrol? (It will be a big shock to me from 18-20 kmpl swift to 5-6 kmpl Scorpio N!! The TD car had 4.3 kmpl Petrol AT). My aadhar, passport, voter ID all have Gurgaon address.

Is it possible to have neighbouring state UK/HP/RJ reg. and run the car in NCR for 10 years and then settle somewhere in these states or sell off there?

Additions:

1. It had a fiber material engine bay guard.

2. The ground clearance seems like 180-190 mm when I measured by my palm with fingers streched (my thumb to middle finger tip is 220 mm when fully streched. I use this kind of approximate measurements when I don't have any scale or tape).

3. 2nd row seat incline angle can be adjusted within its range which I find good.

4. During the brief TD, one goods carriage vehicle (ACE or Chota hathi we call it colloquially) was about to cut at 90 degree, but he gave me path indicating you may please go first. These guys usually are not so gentle and this happened first time in my life!

Last edited by RijuC : 10th July 2022 at 10:36.
RijuC is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 10:51   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
How can I avoid the NCR related issues for Diesel car? Or shall I settle for Petrol? (It will be a big shock to me from 18-20 kmpl swift to 5-6 kmpl Scorpio N!! The TD car had 4.3 kmpl Petrol AT). My aadhar, passport, voter ID all have Gurgaon address.

Is it possible to have neighbouring state UK/HP/RJ reg. and run the car in NCR for 10 years and then settle somewhere in these states or sell off there?
The sales executive during my TD said most people are interested in petrol. There were a few XUVs in the service areas. All petrol. Talked to one of the AT owners, he said he's getting 8-9 in city. Reaches even up to 13 on highway cruise. Scorpio may be a little worse considering it's heavier.

To get it registered in any other state, you need address proof. Even it is registered in NCR, after 10 years you can transfer the registration to another state without the 10 year rule (at a cost) and continue driving. It won't be allowed to enter NCR though, even if you are passing by.

Quote:
Comparing variant to variant, the Z2 is much more sparsely equipped than the XUV700 MX, but then, the MX diesel now starts at 13.75 lacs ex-showroom, bringing it closer to the Z4 diesel (13.99 L) rather than the Z2. I get the feeling that the Scorpio being a RWD BOF vehicle, it is bound to attract a lot of bulk orders from various organisations, usually end up getting the absolute base model, and this, I think is the target market for the Z2.
I would not recommend any individual to buy the Z2 or Z4 manuals because they are missing the safety kit (ESP, traction control, rollover mitigation, etc), which i think is essential for a vehicle of this size. Even Brezza base model comes with ESP and Hill Hold.

Quote:
From Z4, This is clearly the actual base model for the individual buyer. It's a bit of a pity, because the base model Scorpios had their own charm with the unpainted plastic cladding giving them a butch, no nonsense look.
Exactly, I would have loved to have a no frills base model.
Quote:
I have "carted" the Z4 Diesel AT in black. Hopefully, I do get included in the first 25k bookings. (Fingers crossed). I took a short TD of the diesel manual model, to see if I could manage the manual (and maybe upgrade to the Z6), but even though the clutch was light and the gearbox was positive (coming from diesel Ecosport), I felt the clutch travel was too long (same issue I have with the Ecosport and the reason for upgrading).
We are in the same boat. Same booking. I have a i20 diesel, which has no clutch travel issues. Waiting to TD the manual diesel. May change booking to Z6 manual if the price gap for AT is too high.

My other issue is the NCR 10 year rule. So z4 petrol auto also comes into play here. Though i'm worried in petrol, such a big car will end up being a white elephant. Even small trips will cost a bomb.

Quote:
The Z4 diesel starts at 13.99 lakhs. A similar premium as the 700 should see the AT variant being priced 1.5 lacs higher than the manual (OK considering you also get the higher tune of engine, safety kit with an excellent TC transmission), which brings it to 15.49 lakhs.

Here's what else you can buy in that price range. (limiting to automatic only)

The Thar starts at Rs.15.94 Lakh for LX 4-Str Convert Top AT Diesel.
The Creta SX IVT Petrol is 15.86L and SX(O) diesel is 18.03 lakhs.
Kia Seltos HTX AT is 15.15 L (petrol) and 16.29 lakh (diesel)
The XUV700 AX3 AT starts at 17.58L for the diesel.
Harrier XMA AT is 17.35 lakh.

For the intro price at least, there isn't any SUV that can match the entry point set by the Z4 ScorpioN. The Creta and the Seltos have better equipment for sure, but IMO the amount of car and power that the Scorp delivers (at the launch price) is pretty unmatched.
Bang on. That's the only reason I'm looking at Scorpio. I don't really *need* a BOF RWD SUV. But the value proposition is too good.

Ideally, I would buy the Creta with its creature comforts and smaller size that's easier to navigate in the city. But its dismal safety rating and relentless price hikes have turned me off it.

One thing i noticed: i went for a TD on a Saturday and there wasn't the kind of buzz in the showroom like when the XUV had launched. At that time it was like a mela. Last year, i was flatly told TD nhi ho payega aaj, behut lambi line hai. This time there was just one gentleman in the queue ahead of me for the TD.

Last edited by naru80 : 10th July 2022 at 11:18.
naru80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 12:05   #359
BHPian

Quote:
4. During the brief TD, one goods carriage vehicle (ACE or Chota hathi we call it colloquially) was about to cut at 90 degree, but he gave me path indicating you may please go first. These guys usually are not so gentle and this happened first time in my life!
Had a good laugh on this aspect which you mentioned! Welcome to the world of scorpio!!
alokk0912 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 12:13   #360
BHPian

Quote:

2. How can I avoid the NCR related issues for Diesel car? Or shall I settle for Petrol? (It will be a big shock to me from 18-20 kmpl swift to 5-6 kmpl Scorpio N!! The TD car had 4.3 kmpl Petrol AT). My aadhar, passport, voter ID all have Gurgaon address.

I am in the same dilemma ever since I had to literally scrap my Punto due to this NGT rule in NCR. You can try BH registration. The option to register in neighboring states/cities is also shrinking, especially in UP side as most cities are going same way.
Petrol's mileage is already making me uncomfortable even if I consider this to be as a second car in addition to my super economical 1.5 tdci Figo. May be its just that Figo's mileage has spoiled me in terms of expectation.

Can anybody help with understanding how is Mahindra's diesel performing on these DPF issues in BS6 era?

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 10th July 2022 at 12:20.
saurabh041086 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks