Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2022, 20:44   #466
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

If you are going to run 1500 km/ month you would do 180000 km in 10 years. Would you be really interested in pulling it any further?
ajayc123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 23:45   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajk15 View Post
1. I’m a little over 6’2” and found my head almost touching the roof.
2. Being slightly heavily built, I found the contours on the front seats to be a bit problematic.
I guess you are talking about driver's seat. Did you check whether the driver's seat was at its' topmost position? I am 6 ft and 93 kg. When the seat position was at the topmost level, my head touched the overhead speaker. And I quickly adjusted the seat position down. Didn't feel any problem while on front seats. However, today I sat inside the XUV700 also, and XUV700 seat was better than Scorpio N.

Today's test drive was also in Petrol AT, for about 2-3 kms around the old Gurgaon area. Had 3 U-turns on this route and one was in tight space. Didn't face any trouble due to the big foot print of the SUV.

However, I could see lots of dust and mud entering through the front door bottom side front corner. This is one shortcoming I could notice today.

The driver's seat up/down movement was not working in one of the display car. One petrol MT TD car doors (including rear) didn't sound good while closing.

Cost cutting: today I discovered that only left side vertical panel section of dash board above the glove box had the soft touch cover. Rest of the coffee brown part of the dash board is hard plastic, even on right hand side! The SA says Z6 won't have this leatherette soft touch on dash. Anyway, hope some accessories shop must have the solution.

Price break-up for the variants (with MT only):

Z8 G MT// Z6 D MT
Ex-showroom: 1699000// 1499000
TCS (1%): 16990// 14990
Insurance (Zero dep.): 83101// 77259
Individual registration & RTO (GGN): 137550// 121550
Environmental tax 1% extra for Diesel
Hypothecation (1500), Fastag (600), Essential accessories package (25k), Maxicare (11k).
Extended warranty, RSA were not quoted.

Z8 G MT On-road= 19.4L
Z6 D MT On-road= 17.3L

I am expecting another 1.5-1.7L additional for AT, and 1.5-2L for addition of 4x4.

What should be the colour? Deep Forest (that I have added in cart), or White? Black is difficult to maintain.

Sharing some photographs from today's experience (TD vehicle colour was Deep Forest.)
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20220716_180910440.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20220716_181630424_hdr.jpg  

RijuC is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 00:01   #468
BHPian

Driven Scorpio N, Z8 Diesel automatic at Sireesh Auto Bangalore today. Below are my observations, for reference I drive Vento TSI (DSG)-

- Car is imposing from front and side, additional width definitely helps. Dealership using a 3-inch platform makes it look even taller. Back is a real bummer and doesn't suit the macho personality of the car. Not a secret anymore, Mahindra designers work in 2 shifts, and the one responsible to design the backside is unsupervised and poorly compensated.

- Car is really powerful and agile, gentle tap and overtaking even in tight city traffic is a breeze. Brakes are aspiring and handling is predictable. Coupled with light steering, it was fun and easy to maneuver around.

- Speed breakers were no match to the car suspension but road adulterations and imperfections were really unsettling at low speeds. Second-row seat occupants were getting tossed around even at low speeds. Comparable to Fortuner but HEXA is still the benchmark here. TATA please bring the HEXA back, it will definitely be valued more now.

- Body roll is there. My advice- go easy on throttle especially on curves if you have second-row passengers.

- The gear lever is flimsy, and does not slot with reassurance if you are shuffling between drive and reverse. VW DSG is the benchmark here.

- Seems designers were confused between bench and side-facing seats for the third row, and eventually offered side-facing seats as bench. . Still, a mystery why they didn't go with the XUV setup here. You miss out on a lot of space and an option of a flatbed. You need to fold and tumble. The real deal breaker for me.

To summarize- XUV 700 trumps Scorpio N in all departments of practicality. What goes in favor of Scorpio-
Interiors (Coffee brown beats White of XUV);
4WD- Perceived proper off-roader and RWD setup;
Imposing looks and road presence, XUV feels MUV in comparison
Passiautonate is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 00:44   #469
BHPian

I went to mahindra showroom yesterday to check out ScorpioN in flesh and got disappointed with the disproportionate dimensions.It looked very imposing from front end, but ended abruptly around 100mm short.It gave me mahindra quanto & nuvosport vibes.

Though the interiors are great,leaps & bounds ahead of scorpio classic.
Gaddibuddy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 16:53   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
What should be the colour?
Napoli Black. Period.

1 Makes the car look bigger and meaner. It's more imposing than any other color.
2 Even the oddball rear design seems acceptable
3 If you chose a lower variant, the black bits around windows, rearview mirror, and font grille don't stick out like sore thumbs
4 You're likely to get faster delivery

You're spending close to 2 million on the car. A few thousand a year on maintenance is no big deal.

OT:
Just checked out the XUV700 thread, which runs into hundreds of pages. This one is at 32. If that's any indicator, there's unlikely to be a mad rush for this car like there was (and still is) for xuv.

Last edited by naru80 : 17th July 2022 at 17:04.
naru80 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 19:18   #471

Given their demonstrated expertise in space management with Triber, Renault might have carved a comfortable 9 Seater with Scorpio N dimensions!
Stardust is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 00:55   #472

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Got to test drive the Z8L petrol MT today.
Scorpio-N indeed is a winner IMHO! It still retains that bulky and mean look! While improving a whole lot of things like interiors , feature list , powertrains , mechanicals etc. One big question I have is how much one should be expecting the fuel efficiency to be if buying a petrol Scorpio-N in a place like Himachal ?

Last edited by Eddy : 18th July 2022 at 06:41. Reason: Quoting such a large post hampers readability
MrPREDATOR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 01:44   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaddibuddy View Post
I went to mahindra showroom yesterday to check out ScorpioN in flesh and got disappointed with the disproportionate dimensions.It looked very imposing from front end, but ended abruptly around 100mm short.It gave me mahindra quanto & nuvosport vibes.

Though the interiors are great,leaps & bounds ahead of scorpio classic.

The scorpio has always been disproportionately short sadly. I'm not sure why since its already well past the 4000mm mark which is where the extra roadtax comes into play. Only reason I can think off is that it's better for off-roading or they don't want it cutting into a higher segment model they will launch later.

Hopefully Mahindra launches another car to replace the Alturas, whose styling looks pretty aged next to the XUV700 and the scorpioN. Hopefully that will be a proper D-segment SUV which can break the fortuner's hold.
Old 18th July 2022, 06:57   #474
BHPian

Well written review.

I am yet to see the vehicle in person and test drive it as such. From the pictures here, the vehicle does seem to be beefy. Unlike the XUV700, mahindra applies no design elements to hide body lines. Straight up boxy lines through the vehicle, gives it a overwhelming presence on the road.

The interior seems to be akin to a downgraded XUV700. Do you think that like Tata, mahindra is also trying to unify the interior entertainment?

If you can recall, Altroz, Nexon, Tigor have a similar floating infotainment by harman in their toplines.

Do you think, Mahindra too is looking for that kind of marketing?
Old 18th July 2022, 07:44   #475
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPREDATOR View Post
One big question I have is how much one should be expecting the fuel efficiency to be if buying a petrol Scorpio-N in a place like Himachal ?
If you live in Himachal then it is undeniable that you will have fun and the Scorpio N begs you to go faster and faster. Expect single digit economy unless you're going downhill or driving in an extremely relaxed state. Still, let's wait for more test results.
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 10:57   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Expect single digit economy unless you're going downhill or driving in an extremely relaxed state.
What would be the expected FE with Diesel 172 HP variant? Usual regular running is 55-60% on highways. Yearly running 12 months x 550 km + 3000-4000 km long trips to hills/ neighbouring states.

Driving style: mostly conservative, sedate; except few fun sprints on absolutely empty expressways.

Another query, what can go wrong if this type of Diesel SUV car is not started for 10-12 days.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 11:08   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
What would be the expected FE with Diesel 172 HP variant? Usual regular running is 55-60% on highways. Yearly running 12 months x 550 km + 3000-4000 km long trips to hills/ neighbouring states.

Driving style: mostly conservative, sedate; except few fun sprints on absolutely empty expressways.

Another query, what can go wrong if this type of Diesel SUV car is not started for 10-12 days.
With your descriptions, I would guess you should average around 13-14 on the manual. And slightly less on the automatic.

Also, nothing should happen if you don't start the car for 10-12 days, provided you have a good battery in the car. I have had 2L diesel engine cars and none of them gave me issues ever when I traveled for work for 15-20 days.
acquillew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 11:20   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
I have had 2L diesel engine cars and none of them gave me issues ever when I traveled for work for 15-20 days.
Apart from battery, I believe there is extra precaution to be taken for DEF. Is that so and can anyone here confirm the same?
Old 18th July 2022, 11:28   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post

It's strictly a 5 seater vehicle. In third row, adults will be super uncomfortable (even for small distances) and kids will feel claustrophobic due to low seating position. And after M&M confirmed that airbags wont cover the third row, it doesn't make sense to use the third row.

No useful boot space. At max, one can place a couple of laptop carrying backpacks. After folding the third row, you will get more space but that's also not very useful due to uneven floor and thickness of third row bench. M&M should have learnt a thing or two from seat thickness from our airlines.

Good thing is you just need to remove 4 bolts to take the third row out and you will get a lot of usable space for all those Himalaya trips.

After looking at the contours on the floor by folding third row, I am definitely sure that the side facing seats will make a comeback. The lever on the inside of the rear door was not functional though).
Ditto my thoughts when I did TD few days back.
How difficult was it for the M&M designers / engineers to give a usable flat floor instead of uneven when third row is in tumbled down position?
Also, the way second row and third row seats fold down, the usable boot space is laughable (in terms of usability) and shows half hearted efforts by designers / engineers. They could have definitely done better looking at XUV or for that matter Tata Safari for comparison.

Another question - Does it need to be registered when third row seat is removed - technically, you are converting a vehicle registered as 7 seater into 5 seater and RC needs to be changed in that case. Am I thinking correctly, or it is fine without the changes thru RTO?
Old 18th July 2022, 11:49   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
Apart from battery, I believe there is extra precaution to be taken for DEF. Is that so and can anyone here confirm the same?
More to do with car running at lower RPMs (low speed city driving) or car standing with engine on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks