Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2022, 11:08   #406
BHPian

The high-handedness of Mahindra dealerships have started already.

Yesterday I raised a Test drive request to Mahindra website for Gurgaon location. Yesterday afternoon I had a talk with one of the Mahindra Dee Emm dealerships in Gurgaon and the lady requested me to come for TD during weekdays and not on weekends to avoid high rush and waiting time for TD. That was reasonable and we discussed for a first half time at about 11 AM on 14th Jul and I informed her that I shall confirm it again one day in advance to avoid any waiting time.

Today morning I got another call from one SA of Mahindra Dee Emm (we have 3 dealerships here). This fellow informed they got my request for XUV300/700. I said, no, I am looking for Scorpio N. He said they don't have any TD vehicle for Scorpio N. Then he said 30th July booking opens and delivery starts by Aug/ September.

Then I said I have requested for one TD of Scorpio N. He said am I looking for Scorpio S5? Next moment he jumped onto XUV300 and went round and round and insisted I have asked for Scorpio S5 booking and all other irrelevant things. I asked him to stop nonsense and come to the point- of he couldn't understand my requirement then how come he said all booking dates and expected delivery properly? Then he said who confirmed you the TD? I informed yesterday's discussion. He says it must be the other showroom of Dee Emm, this guy doesn't have any TD vehicle. Entire thing feels not good.

What should be my correct approach to the dealership for a detailed TD? Didn't face this trouble in Kolkata! Or shall I contact Delhi dealerships?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumarS View Post
As Gangetic Plain suffers severe fog issues during winter, I am unsure how new-age vehicles manage with white headlights. I struggled with stock halogen lights on my Zest; the high beam was also useless.

No idea about the effectiveness of that Jugaad, but if it works, it's the easiest solution.
I replaced the stock lamps with Philips Xtreme vision G-force 60/55 Watts in my Swift. It works upto acceptable level in heavy rains or foggy conditions. I was caught up multiple times in Gajraula area and KMP expressway in early morning dense fog or in Gurgaon. I am satisfied with this lamp set-up.

Off-topic.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th July 2022 at 05:45. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
RijuC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 12:47   #407
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Seems there are no talks about the DPF issues with diesel. Mahindra was testing ScorpioN extensively in Leh-Spiti-Manali circuit. There is no comment at all on this aspect. If they have been able to improve on this front. Getting a diesel for the sake of 4wd and then facing these issues in the very terrain we buy 4wd for, does not sound like a very reasonable decision in the longer. Any update from Mahindra or any reviewer on this?

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 12th July 2022 at 13:14.
saurabh041086 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 13:16   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The new generation of SUVs from M&M seem to have improved on FE for their Torque Converter ATs. I have a new generation Thar with the Diesel Auto. It is easily able to do 9-10 kpl in heavy city traffic. On highways at a steady 100kph, it does 13 kpl and even more if you lower speed to 90 kph. This is despite the poor aerodynamics of the Thar and all the 4WD gear on board. Granted the ScorpioN is heavier but all things considered, a 2WD Diesel Auto version will probably do quite well on the FE front.
I'm expecting that the actual customer vehicles would do better than the TD cars overall, as Mahindra has been mum on the ScorpioN's FE figures so far. Maybe they have to do some tuning on the TC box software to improve the figures before they finally announce the figures. Still I'm not expecting any miracles. It would be nice to have double digit FE figures though.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 15:49   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Autocar has published the acceleration times for the ScorpioN for both petrol and diesel ATs in the latest issue. They have given a caveat that the testing was done under wet road conditions, so I expect the acceleration times in dry roads to be at least 0.5 seconds faster to 100. The difference between the petrol AT and the diesel AT is just about one second and they both do the 20 - 80 kick down run in nearly the same time. In the 40 -100 run, the petrol AT pulled ahead significantly. The figures in black are for the petrol AT and the figures in green are for the diesel AT.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-b2dfbd8f971d440199fece0e97f5c52a.jpeg

It is really impressive for such a large and heavy Diesel SUV with a TC AT to manage 0-100 runs in 11.23 seconds, even under wet road conditions. The 4WD version is probably 0.5 to 1 second slower, however I would still expect it to do 0 to 100 in 11-11.5 seconds under ideal conditions. This would make it faster than the Jeep Meridian, the earlier Toyota Fortuner with the lower engine Tune, the Harrier, the Safari and the Hector Diesels - All of them took 12 seconds are more for a similar run.

I then compared Autocars’s first drive acceleration figures of the XUV700 from last year these are also attached. As expected XUV seems to do the zero to hundred run a second faster, although the testing was done under normal dry conditions in that case. All in all the speed difference between the XUV700 and the ScorpioN and does not seem to be much at all. Under identical dry testing conditions I would expect the difference to be only about 0.5 seconds, which is saying something given the differences in weight and the more aerodynamic body shape of the XUV 700.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-8e0ca1e2faee4f4ba56801c4f847acb9.jpeg

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 12th July 2022 at 15:53.
84.monsoon is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 16:51   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
They have given a caveat that the testing was done under wet road conditions, so I expect the acceleration times in dry roads to be at least 0.5 seconds faster to 100.
The 140bhp Scorpio aka existing version was clocked at 10.8 Seconds to 100 by Autocar India who also clocked the Thar Petrol AT at 10.2 Seconds. I think this N vehicle will be a bit faster to 100 in the dry and a lot faster beyond 100.

In the short time I spent with the N petrol AT & Diesel MT, both felt a bit faster than existing Scorpio.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 18:17   #411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra Scorpio-N automatic real world fuel economy tested.

Attachment 2331648

Source
If these are the FE numbers to go by, Z6 MT becomes more desirable compared to the Z4 AT with about 50k savings and addition of a few features including sunroof.

I feel a couple more real world FE tests are needed to confirm this.
Old 12th July 2022, 19:05   #412
BHPian

Who's your daddy?

Last edited by naru80 : 12th July 2022 at 19:07.
naru80 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 21:39   #413

Hello Mahindra.
2020 LDV T60 vs 2022 Mahindra Scorpio N
Attached Images

pranavarya74 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 21:42   #414
BHPian

I went for the showroom visit today. The big daddy title feel justified however the brochure they sent me on whats app had the whole big daddy title a bit overdone. It had things like Daddy's smart, Daddy dominates and Daddy rides first class and so much more. Not sure what Mahindra had in mind.

Anyway, the car does feel massive. I had seen multiple you tube reviews but seeing it in person just made the massiveness so much more real. the showroom did offer me a TD but I somehow flinched and decided to come another day :-)
womanonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 23:49   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post
... the showroom did offer me a TD but I somehow flinched and decided to come another day :-)
Take the TD, you will be in a state of trance for the next few days, guaranteed. I am yet to come out of this feeling. I am relatively newbie and have very limited driving experience with various types of cars. But I didn't face any trouble to drive this massive car. I felt at home instantaneously.

Few questions coming in my mind:

1. Why Mahindra didn't give auto ORVM in this car? Does it push the costing too high?

2. No 12 VDC socket in the front side. How to hook up the tyre inflator for the front tyres? The only 12 V socket is at the rear area of 3rd row. Same for connecting small car vacuum cleaner.

3. The fuel tank is made of plastic. How good it is for a rugged, abuse friendly car, specially for the 4x4? What material is used for fuel tanks in:

i. XUV700,
ii.Tata Harrier,
iii. Tata Safari,
iv. MG SUVs,
V. Higher category SUVs like Fortuner etc

Is it only cost cutting or reducing weight or both?

4. The Stepney is visible from outside. Whether it can get damaged while leaving some ditch?

5. Can the ORVM be made power operated/ power folding type if someone opt for Z4 variant?

6. Whether the rear camera be replaced/ another one can be added to avoid the low quality camera?
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 00:12   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
I was impressed until I read the disclaimer that only the fortuner was being tested in different drive modes while the ScorpioN was in sport throughout.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-48b1lyr.png

I'm no fan of the overpriced fortuner but testing with just one car in eco is not really fair. When they were both in sport, the fortuner left the scorpion in the dust

I do like how the ScorpioN looks more imposing from the front, though how much of it is because they have slightly positioned the ScorpioN ahead of the fortuner and closer to the camera has to be seen

Last edited by Cresterk : 13th July 2022 at 00:16.
Cresterk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 00:24   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Take the TD, you will be in a state of trance for the next few days, guaranteed. I am yet to come out of this feeling. I am relatively newbie and have very limited driving experience with various types of cars. But I didn't face any trouble to drive this massive car. I felt at home instantaneously.

1. Why Mahindra didn't give auto ORVM in this car? Does it push the costing too high?

2. No 12 VDC socket in the front side. How to hook up the tyre inflator for the front tyres? The only 12 V socket is at the rear area of 3rd row. Same for connecting small car vacuum cleaner.

3. The fuel tank is made of plastic. How good it is for a rugged, abuse friendly car, specially for the 4x4? What material is used for fuel tanks in:

i. XUV700,
ii.Tata Harrier,
iii. Tata Safari,
iv. MG SUVs,
V. Higher category SUVs like Fortuner etc

Is it only cost cutting or reducing weight or both?

4. The Stepney is visible from outside. Whether it can get damaged while leaving some ditch?

5. Can the ORVM be made power operated/ power folding type if someone opt for Z4 variant?

6. Whether the rear camera be replaced/ another one can be added to avoid the low quality camera?
1) I guess you mean auto-dimming IRVM. Don't know how they skipped it. However, after market cost should be around 5K. Have installed it in both of my cars - Fortuner 2010 and Civic 2009. So, not a major drawback, unlike the unforgiveable absence of sliding 2nd row and 40:60 3rd seats.

2) I guess this one too, you can retrofit the 12V socket in one of the many empty slots of driver dashboard (one where the single switch for toggling front sensors is located - only in Z8L).

3) Plastic fuel tanks has been in used in cars since a decade or so. To my mind, the advantages are many - less weight, no corrosion, adverse to electrostatic charge and hence less risk of igniting fuel, more safer in crash etc.

4) Normal. All other SUVs have the same trait.

5) Ideally, you would need to retrofit a new one from higher variant that is powered and support folding. New wiring might be needed in the lump if it is missing. Complex solution! Not recommended.

6) Yes. I had installed high resolution sony CCCD rear parking camera for Civic and a Blaupunk camera for the Fortuner. Very happy with the quality.
iTNerd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 00:30   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I was impressed until I read the disclaimer that only the fortuner was being tested in different drive modes while the ScorpioN was in sport throughout.

Attachment 2332893

I'm no fan of the overpriced fortuner but testing with just one car in eco is not really fair. When they were both in sport, the fortuner left the scorpion in the dust

I do like how the ScorpioN looks more imposing from the front, though how much of it is because they have slightly positioned the ScorpioN ahead of the fortuner and closer to the camera has to be seen
Mahindra for whatever reasons isn’t giving the zip, zap and zoom modes on it’s petrol engined cars like XUV700 and now Scorpio N as well!

I would say the test was fair, considering the torque would be reduced in the Eco mode of the Fortuner, Normal mode was close and Sport mode took the lead, where 500Nm was being used it’s full potential.

Another bit I found was that the car wasn’t being brake-boosted while launching.
Old 13th July 2022, 00:38   #419

I will try to answer your queries and solutions:
Quote:
1. No it doesn't, but these minor things when combined together impacts the price by ~Rs.50k-1L and this much is enough to make it costly in terms of perspective.

2. There are plenty of options from the market to install additional 12V socket under Rs.500, you may add a hole on the front for that or make that as an extension using rear socket.

3. Plastic Fuel tanks are being used due to numerous reasons:
-> Plastic tanks are made up of High Density Polyethylene(HDPE) with insulation inside
-> Cheaper compared to the metal ones
-> Doesn't get Corrosion
-> Easy to design as per different chassis
-> Lighter than the Metal/Steel ones(~30%)
-> Less likely to rupture in case of accident, hence preventing fuel leak
-> Doesn't conducts electricity and don't creates spark on impact
-> Remains significantly cooler which avoids the fuel being compressed
On the flip-side:
-> plastic tank is a major issue in case of diesel vehicles in the mountains, diesel may get frozen and we can't lit a fire underneath as we would do with metal tanks
-> stringent impacts underbody may break the tank
-> plastic may worn off with time

4. Stepneys are well contained and doesn't hit the bottom 99% of the time, it may hit in cases of really bad patches of road or village speedbreakers

5. It is possible for other cars, its just a motor attached on the joints, so it may be possible aftermarket for this as well

6. As rear camera is not available below Z8, so it doesn't matters as you will be installing one aftermarket only, considering you are buying lower variants, however the glitch we are seeing in reviews may be a software issue and will get fixed before deliveries commence.
Rigs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 02:26   #420
BHPian

Little bit of a size comparo between Ford Ecosport and the Big Daddy. Surely my car looks puny when compared to Scorpio N.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220713_022146.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220713_022308.jpg
tp_dominator is offline   (30) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks