Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2022, 12:03   #1831
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

for the folks who took the delivery, how many keys were given?

They gave me just one key on 1st day of delivery and promised second will be given soon - The SC just called and said the second key has arrived but it will take them 1.5 hours to pair the key with the vehicle... thats a LOT OF time
Old 19th October 2022, 12:30   #1832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
for the folks who took the delivery, how many keys were given?

They gave me just one key on 1st day of delivery and promised second will be given soon - The SC just called and said the second key has arrived but it will take them 1.5 hours to pair the key with the vehicle... thats a LOT OF time
I got one key and another was promised at the time of the first service. I guess thats when they will use the time required to pair the key.
Old 19th October 2022, 12:48   #1833

Here is my first 3 months of experience being in Mahindra ecosystem and in the waiting list of their most rated SUV - Scorpio-N

My current car is 2014 model VW Polo Petrol 1.2 MPI Highline.

Mahindra Scorpio-N booking details:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-mahindra-booking.png
Price: Introductory pricing applicable
  1. Playing blind game

Because of artificially induced scarcity of a VFM product, you are compelled to do paid bookings for a product which manufacturer has not even produced for once. Specifically, the Z8 variant which is the nearest neighbor of their beloved variant - Z8L doesn't exist even after going 6 months into the production. This is rather exclusion than prioritization. Especially, when critical components like the type of wheel whose weight can affect car dynamics is absent to Test drive.

None has any idea how non-Sony infotainment system would sound in a Rs. 20L car.

There is no official information about the booked color palate - Grand Canyon.

Anyone in a queue who is ready to buy Z8L, is welcomed ahead of others who might be in first 25K booking. To be honest, this is not the most genuine way to implement a queue.

2. Quality issues

Based on my observations, the final product (Z8L variant) is not completely tested. There are known and unknown issues which has appeared leading to customer dissatisfaction.
    Especially, issues like clutch pedal failure, seat tumbling, headlight throw orientation, varieties of mechanical sounds reported by users.
    According to me justifying these issues with reason like improper PDI, discounts for a new product, being an Indian brand, etc leads to downgrading of quality bar of India products.

Why should users who pay 100% of the MRP of a product should accept below par product even though it offers a huge VFM?

What could have happened if similar cases would have appeared in other continents like Europe or USA?

If we really want our country's manufacturers to compete with international products then we, the citizens of India, should come out of the "Chalta hain attitude" and demand the best of the quality.

3. Difference between Marketing and Practical experience

Mahindra did indirectly compared Scorpio with a Fortuner having greater VFM during their marketing campaign. They are correct in a way if we look at the dimensions of the vehicle. But after observing niggles, quality issues and dishonest delivery queue, I think that there is a huge difference between marketing and practical experience, being in the Mahindra ecosystem for these 3 months.

Conclusion: I have not planned to cancel my Scorpio-N booking yet but I have definitely started considering nearby options where I can achieve a better buy for such costly products.
er_sb_blogs is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 14:19   #1834
BHPian

Now the booking experience has been turned into a case study.

https://google.smh.re/1iS4
Sidban85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 22:48   #1835

Is there any update on GNCAP Ratings of Scorpio N? Any idea when GNCAP of XUV7OO came out (before commencing of deliveries or after)?
Old 20th October 2022, 07:00   #1836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
Now the booking experience has been turned into a case study.

https://google.smh.re/1iS4
No mention at all about their failures, the system crash and the harassment caused to so many people. At least they should own their mistakes.

Last edited by GTO : 21st October 2022 at 12:53. Reason: Another typo
slylenser is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th October 2022, 07:28   #1837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slylenser View Post
No mention at all about their failures, the system crash and the harrasment caused to so many people. At least they should own their mistakes.
That's what I found so funny.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th October 2022 at 11:56. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 20th October 2022, 12:59   #1838
BHPian

Has anyone found a difference in the cars made in July vs those manufactured in October 2022?
Old 20th October 2022, 15:08   #1839
BHPian

I think everyone on the forum for waiting for these clips.Thanks to fellow bhpian Anshuman.

Underbody protection seems to be a must for off roaders in the N just like the Thar.

kushgandhi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 03:30   #1840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulba View Post
Thanks for sharing this vital information Anshuman.

I have a booking for Z4 AWD and was going to replace my Duster AWD with it. The benefits I was counting on was 7 seater vehicle that can do trips to places like Winter Spiti, Ladakh etc. (with four persons.) plus some short-distance trips (having four adults and 2/3 kids) with friends and families. With the important point now coming out that snow chains can't be used, I am now in serious doubt. Can you please confirm if this is true for R17 and R18 wheel size both or just R18 given that MT models come with R17 wheel size only?

If it can't do snow with chains, I would then retain my Duster AWD and cancel this booking.
Instead of snow chains, you could use Snow cables. It doesn’t need that much space between the tire and body compared to snow chains. I have even seen it on Corollas, BMWs 3-series like small cars while in Tahoe. Every year we used to drive to Tahoe, CA and we have use it 5-6 times for our Highlander and it’s safe to drive up to 55Kph (35 Mph) with snow cables installed.
arunrajk81 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 08:01   #1841
BHPian

A recent YouTube video showed the inside of the scorpio n’s door. The sound dampening material is of high quality and dense. Much better than the plastic sheets used in many vehicles. Hopefully this will keep the long term rattling sounds to the minimum. Good that Mahindra is not just making the car better on the outside only.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-b5c757f8e1804b8cb44af8fb36c44a38.jpeg
kushgandhi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 15:55   #1842
BHPian

Dropped mine for 1st service today and there are some mandatory actions Mahindra has flagged in the system.

Anyone got the same done or any additional you heard during 1st service?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpio-n.png  

atluri_rkc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 17:23   #1843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
Dropped mine for 1st service today and there are some mandatory actions Mahindra has flagged in the system.

Anyone got the same done or any additional you heard during 1st service?
Yes I got a message from the service center that they are recalling cars for these except for washing & cleaning and second key assignment. And this was not my first service. My first service is in November.
Attached Images

Last edited by sabsubs : 21st October 2022 at 17:24. Reason: adding more information
Old 21st October 2022, 18:47   #1844

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Do share pics of the vehicle when you happen to see it…
Here's the update. The car finally arrived at the dealership yesterday evening. Per the recommendation of fellow members, I went for PDI today morning. Sharing my experience and findings here. Hope it is helpful for others.

1. The VIN number shared by India Garage dealership on 10th Oct - when the vehicle was billed at Chakan plant - was indeed the VIN of the vehicle that I inspected today. No surprises... just happy to see that the process is working.

2. The vehicle came with both keys. So hopefully the days of delayed 2nd key delivery is over.

3. The manufacturing date of the vehicle is from Oct. So I am a bit happy about that.

4. I had requested the India Garage SAs to finish all the SW upgrades and other items in their checklist before calling me for PDI. They said they have done everything. Unfortunately that was not the case. I guess my request fell on deaf ears.

5. From the PDI checklist - whatever I could test - everything seemed to be fine except the following:
- SW upgrades were not done. So TPMS, Tyre temperature monitoring system etc. were not functional and couldn't be checked. According to the staff at the dealership, the SW upgrades were required for that functionality to work.
- I did find one spot on the rear door where the paint was chipped off. I pointed it to the SA and asked them to fix it before delivery.

6. I checked all the panel spacings in my car. Found it to be perfect. Pictures attached. So looks like things have improved in Mahindra manufacturing - at least compared to my XUV 500 experience from 2016.

7. I found the personnel at the dealership to be completely clueless about the Scorpio N functionality or what happens to the vehicle at what stage of the manufacturing/delivery process. They blatantly give you some random answer and revert back later when caught in a lie.

- They told me when the PDI happens at the stockyard in Bangalore - all SW upgrades will be done there. That was obviously not the case my in my Scorpio-N. Then they said - some Mahindra personnel comes to dealerships and only they are authorized to upgrade the SW etc.
- The boot button on the key fob - in Scorprio-N is a dummy button. When i was playing with it and nothing happened, their initial answer was - it closes all the open windows. When I asked him to demonstrate - after 10 mins of trying - he said - yes it's a dummy button in Scorpio-N.
- There were few other instances like this - but yeah - this was quite a bit disappointing and somewhat irritating. Enough said.
- I asked them about Torqing - they had no clue.
- I asked them if the headlight is adjusted properly - they said it is done in stockyard. They don't have a way to do the headlight adjustment in the service station. Found that quite odd.

8. The insurance quote was 50% more expensive compared to what I found outside. Planning to buy the insurance from outside. Good thing - there was no pressure from them to buy it from them.

9. One niggle I found, the plastic attachment to the fuel cap is of extremely poor quality. When I tried opening the fuel cap, it is supposed to rotate freely and the plastic string is supposed to let it move freely. But I had to hold that string in place with left hand and use my right hand to open the cap. If I don't do that, the string would rotate with fuel cap, and get strained. IMHO, this will get broken within 1st year if not carefully used. I checked this in 3 Scorpio-Ns parked there. Saw the issue in all 3 Scorpio-Ns.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6597.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6599.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6600.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6577.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6578.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6579.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6580.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6581.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6582.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6583.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6584.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6585.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6586.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6587.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6588.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6589.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6591.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6592.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6593.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6594.jpg  

pkjains is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 19:52   #1845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Yes I got a message from the service center that they are recalling cars for these except for washing & cleaning and second key assignment. And this was not my first service. My first service is in November.
May be that body torquing part is the one causing rattling sound for front suspension. Hope it gets resolved for the affected owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkjains View Post
Here's the update. The car finally arrived at the dealership yesterday evening. Per the recommendation of fellow members, I went for PDI today morning. Sharing my experience and findings here. Hope it is helpful for others.
Earlier, there were no pics of Dazzling Silver available anywhere and now they are coming in dozens.

Congratulations brother on getting your N..now we’ll wait to see it nicely dressed with polished shoes and sparkling shine…on the delivery Day…happy and worry free miles to you and your family…

Also post how they did the colour chipping part in their body shop.

Last edited by rahulya007 : 21st October 2022 at 19:53. Reason: Added text

Most Viewed