Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2022, 19:56   #1921
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

ScorpioN bonnet rod issue : UPDATE

As I have mentioned earlier on this thread about the protrusion that had come on my hood due to the sharp tip of the bonnet rod. I’m also quoting my post for everyone’s reference below,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey1230 View Post
ISSUE 2
Also after a couple of weeks of usage I have noticed a major engineering fault...
After discussing the same on the Scorpio N whatsapp group, a fellow group member shared with me a detailed photo of his white Scorpio N, in which you can clearly see the plastic residue on the inside skin of the hood which is from the tip of the rod rubbing against it and which will cause the same protrusion with the course of time as it did in mine. I’m attaching the images below of the rod and the plastic residual marks as they were not visible in mine due to the shade of my vehicle.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-a0f3bc11a5224feeabe3fe87519d0c4d.jpeg
The plastic residue is clearly visible.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-6b9755055e504e2e8fc3f76841d2e83f.jpeg
The tip of the bonnet rod which pushes from the inside

And I’m also attaching the images of my makeshift way in which I’ve added pieces of heat resistant and insulating foam around the area which acts as a barrier to stop the rod from pushing in further.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-6edd2f1824094493918fa57c7f771bb4.jpeg
The insulation foam adds a bit of thickness
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-bf61060e81ba42019d13e823bae0449e.jpeg
The foam strips act as a barrier to stop the rod from grazing from the inside

I hope this post helps everyone understand this issue better and can help any current/future owner prevent this from happening to their new vehicle. Mahindra offered me a hood replacement but I have politely declined as no matter what good a job the MASS will do it’ll never match up to quality and more importantly the colour matching that was there when the vehicle rolled off the line. I’ll happily get the bonnet rod changed if Mahindra decides to reengineer it in some way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN59_1000 View Post
Could you please give me accessories list and price?
You can visit the official website www.m2all.com and get the ideal prices of all the accessories and if the dealership is overcharging by a lot you can simply order the same accessory from m2all and just pay for the labour charges for installation.

Regards,
Shrey
Shrey1230 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 22:53   #1922
BHPian

I got my Z8L P AT with 118km and when I asked why vehicle is run so much before delivery. I was told vehicles coming by train and vehicle travel from factory to station and then from station to stockyard. This was FYI.
I have driven close to 200km in last few days and found that there is vibration in steering at low speed. I took the vehicle to workshop and they told me that this issue is with every Scorpio N because of steering being electronic and at slow speed the steering motor vibrates. It’s like your bullet vibrates when engine is idle and vibration goes away when engine rev increased.
Does others also felt this week issue with steering at slow speed?
Old 10th November 2022, 23:11   #1923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindtayal View Post
Did others also feel this weak issue with steering at slow speed?
Your issue seems to be an isolated one and probably the first one of its kind that is being reported on a non 4WD variant, and the steering vibration issue seemed to be common in the 4Xplor versions, so kindly get yours checked for a faulty rack as I own a petrol MT and steering wise, both are mechanically identical and in the 1600KMs that I’ve driven it I haven’t faced any vibrations or rattles from the steering ever. Be vocal about this issue from the get go rather than waiting as that only seems to do the trick with most Mahindra dealers.

Regards,
Shrey
Shrey1230 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 23:19   #1924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
…they told me that this issue is with every Scorpio N because of steering being electronic and at slow speed the steering motor vibrates.
Certainly not, for Scorpio. Not sure of N.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 01:41   #1925
BHPian

I am not familiar on how to reply to a post, so putting a response separately. After taking delivery I went to DeeEmm in Gurgaon Sec61 and the people who checked mentioned that this issue has been raised by all Scorpio N owners and it’s a NORMAL.
With Mahindra workshop saying it’s not a problem, then where will I go?
And my BIL who bought XUV700 P AT top model was with me. He said he don’t find this issue , so explanation given was - XUV700 has hydraulic steering; that’s why no vibrations.

Last edited by arvindtayal : 11th November 2022 at 01:49.
Old 11th November 2022, 02:04   #1926
BHPian

Quote:
XUV700 has hydraulic steering; that’s why no vibrations.
The XUV700 also has an EPS. It doesn’t have the hydraulic setup, and I’m sure that it’ll certainly not have one in the upper trims much like the Scorpio N which has the hydraulic setup only in the lower diesel trims.
Attaching a quote from the XUV700 thread for the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
XUV700 has EPS - Electronic Power Steering. I.e steering has it's own motor…
And about DeeEmm giving you such baseless reasons, I would suggest you to take your car to some other reputable dealer in NCR and show them the same issue, I’m sure the dealer from whom you bought the car is trying to pass off the hot plate to you by giving such random and baseless reasons for some issue that you as an owner are feeling. Also kindly shoot and email to Mahindra support for the same, once the Area Manager or the GM Service is looped in I’m sure you’ll get a better and faster response.
Wish you the best!
Shrey1230 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 11:57   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have driven close to 200km in last few days and found that there is vibration in steering at low speed. I took the vehicle to workshop and they told me that this issue is with every Scorpio N because of steering being electronic and at slow speed the steering motor vibrates. It’s like your bullet vibrates when engine is idle and vibration goes away when engine rev increased.
Quote:
I am not familiar on how to reply to a post, so putting a response separately. After taking delivery I went to DeeEmm in Gurgaon Sec61 and the people who checked mentioned that this issue has been raised by all Scorpio N owners and it’s a NORMAL.
With Mahindra workshop saying it’s not a problem, then where will I go?
And my BIL who bought XUV700 P AT top model was with me. He said he don’t find this issue , so explanation given was - XUV700 has hydraulic steering; that’s why no vibrations.

For your knowledge all XUV 700 has EPS (as already mentioned by @Shrey1230) and this isuue has never been reported in any of the XUV forum. So the explanation given by MASS does not hold good.

Go through this to know how to "quote" - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/annou...e-posting.html

You can escalate your concerns by using twitter. Tweet to Mr. Anand Mahindra (he is very active in twitter) and tag rajesh664 and anishshah21.

You can also write a mail to "khargadotashaatmahindradotcom" - she is the head of CRM at M&M. Either way you should get response very soon.

Please do not hesitate to raise your concerns - once the GM-Services at the dealership knows that you can reach the higher management they will take you seriously.

Last edited by Sommos : 11th November 2022 at 12:01.
Sommos is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 13:12   #1928
BHPian

Visited Anant Cars, Marathahalli last evening to check out the Scorpio N. Was told that they have a white Z8L D AT in stock that can be delivered in 10 days for anyone interested. Not sure how long it will remain available.
Old 12th November 2022, 15:59   #1929
BHPian

Quote:
After 500 kms, I can't find any issue but just saying
- drive the vehicle assuming there's nothing wrong. If there is an issue in the steering column, it will increase at which time the ASC will replace it.
Old 12th November 2022, 17:57   #1930
BHPian

Hi All,

It appears Mahindra has issued a recall for steering rattling/feedback issue. I brought the car in in today get the second key and number plate changed (they had not installed it properly at the time of delivery). Today when they took the car in and generated the job card I noticed various torquing activities listed there and then I asked SA , he explained It’s all part of the recall and they’re fixing it for customers in phased manner apparently. I had explained this issue to them in the first service but they said it’s normal and what not and the same person tells me Mahindra acknowledged the issue and are fixing it. Also he told me there will be a recall for the headlamp issues as well. I was like - wow , took you sometime but are finally getting around and listening to customer who’ve been highlighting this for sometime now. Attaching screenshot for my job card. Note that the only thing that was supposed to be there was key fob and number plate , everything else is what they added as part of proactive checkup/recall.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-f027b85a173446b3980d8a8d3fd81758.jpeg  

NerDriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 18:04   #1931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slylenser View Post
After 500 kms, I can't find any issue but just saying
- drive the vehicle assuming there's nothing wrong. If there is an issue in the steering column, it will increase at which time the ASC will replace it.
I am planning the same, 600 km more to go.
Old 12th November 2022, 23:01   #1932
Senior - BHPian

Finally test drove the Z8L 4x4 AT this week. It was brand new with just 1k kms on the odo.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_2508.jpg

Engine:

The engine is very surprisingly quiet at idle, just as silent as the previous gen Benz C220d that I was driving around the past week. However, vibrations are present even at idle and once you get moving, the sound of the diesel engine creeps in even at normal rpms. It is still crazy that a Mahindra could even be compared to a mercedes though, kudos to the team who worked on this. Power is decent but the gearbox does take its own sweet time to upshift if you try to drive it hard. The accelerator is sensitive and you will be doing triple digit speeds without realising it.

Suspension:

The ride quality is on the firmer side. You will feel potholes and bad roads but you can fly over them as well as speedbreakers and the like without slowing down if you want to. Sit in the middle seats however and you will realise that your family will probably curse you if you do this. The middle row is definitely less comfortable over bad roads than the front.

This SUV handles very well and you can go through sharp turns and twisties without losing control or any drama. Combined with the light yet precise steering wheel, you can throw this around corners almost like a taller car. Enthusiastic drivers will definitely enjoy this. Other than the body-roll, you don't feel like you are driving a heavy body on frame SUV at all.

Brakes:

Strong but very sensitive. It grabs quickly and even a small press on the pedal will slow the car down suddenly. It will definitely take some getting used to. A lady driving a scooter decided to suddenly stop in the middle of the road and do a quick right turn without indicators or even so much as a glance back, regardless of me blaring the horn so I was forced to brake hard and move to the right and then immediately swerve hard to the left. This was so violent that it triggered the emergency braking hazard light flashes for a few seconds but never did the Scorpio-N feel like it was out of my control. It went precisely where I steered even with me mashing the brakes and the aunty safely puttered away on her scooter, completely ignorant to the fact that she was almost killed and free to terrorise anyone else who has the misfortune of driving behind her on a 2 lane highway.

Tech:

I didn't check out the inbuilt apps because I will probably never use it but both the screens are pretty responsive. Not sure what chipset they have used but it is as responsive as a phone or tablet. Thankfully, it seems like the age of laggy infotainment systems are finally behind us. I do wish the center screen was a bit bigger or atleast had smaller bezels.

The instrument cluster screen is pretty crisp and quick to respond too with no lag. I mirrored the navigation into it and was surprised how well that worked. Having good looking analogue dials on both sides is a plus and the whole package looks great.

Both front and back camera resolution + framerate is absolutely horrible and reminds me of 2005 era flip phone cameras. It's very jarring to go from the smooth and crisp animations of the center console to the horrible camera feed. Even my 7 year old hyundai i20 with an ATM screen like infotainment system had a much much better rear view camera than this, even with adaptive guidelines. Don't cheap out on the camera hardware atleast in the L variants where you are paying a premium of 3 lakhs for this and the audio system.

The audio system is good but nothing too special despite the hype. The exact same playlist sounded much better in the Safari.

Other than the front parking sensors, I think the Z8L variant is a total waste of 3l compared to the Z8 variant. However, it is the only variant available for immediate delivery hence why I changed my booking to it.

4x4 hardware:

As usual with proper 4x4s, you need to shift to neutral in order to engage the low range ratios. Switching through the terrain modes can be done on the fly but it takes some time to shift through multiple of them as the system takes a moment to engage each one before letting you shift to the next one.

Surprisingly, you can shift from RWD to 4x4 high even while moving. Just hit the 4WH button and power goes to the front wheels as well and it also acts as a center differential lock. Unlike with full time AWD cars, this is not recommended on dry tarmac and you will hear the mechanicals protesting with a groan when you take tight turns. After all, the whole point of having differentials in any car is to help it turn as each wheel needs to turn at a different speed when turning.

I could not find a button to lock the differentials on either axle manually and mahindra only mentions the differential locks in passing in the brochure. The salesman as usual, was completely clueless how it works. As far as I can tell, the rear differential gets a mechanical lock that is probably automatically engaged via the 4xplor system and the front gets the brake locking differential, also engaged by the same system when it meets some conditions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Conclusion:

It is definitely a driver's car. I loved every moment of driving it and I'm eagerly looking forward to getting mine delivered. Planning on replacing the center IRVM with an auto dimming unit and it should be perfect. Last row seats are straight up unusable but I only plan on putting my dog there on long trips so it shouldn't be a problem. At most, I might just remove it altogether to have some extra space for luggage or a more comfortable space for the doggie.

Last edited by Cresterk : 12th November 2022 at 23:08. Reason: Edited for better reading.
Cresterk is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 02:06   #1933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerDriver View Post
Hi All,

It appears Mahindra has issued a recall..
Good to see Indian brands like Mahindra finally trying to make their customer service as robust as their products of late by taking customer feedback seriously. I too was surprised to see the seat tumble RO on all ScorpioN’s after I reported it on mine on the day of delivery. And going by the initial first month reviews, I feel the first batch of ScorpioN is relatively better tested and less niggle-y than compared to that of the last few launches my Mahindra & Mahindra.
Old 13th November 2022, 08:14   #1934

Help!!!

Long press of unlock button rolls down front windows and also sunroof, can we stop sunroof open function or if not block the whole window open function?

It happened that when the key was in my pocket, it automatically roll down

TIA!
Old 13th November 2022, 09:35   #1935

Hi everyone, I have booked a Z8 Diesel AT. I really wanted to go for the Z8L , but the only one in my budget would be the petrol manual. I really did not want a manual as a car as big and heavy as this would be a pain to drive. Did I take the right decision?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks