Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2022, 23:19   #1891
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindtayal View Post
Is it possible to replace 255/60 R18 tyres with 285/60 R18 on Scorpio N? I looked at michelin primacy suv tyre for upgrade , and it has only one size in R18
Even a 265/60 tyre is brushing and very tightly fits the wheel well. 285 will have issues of fouling the inner walls and the wheel well. Avoid 285. Try 265 first and steer both left and right to understand how much space is free for suspension travel.
rahulya007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 12:10   #1892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to replace 255/60 R18 tyres with 285/60 R18 on Scorpio N? I looked at michelin primacy suv tyre for upgrade , and it has only one size in R18
285/60 R18 may not fit the wheel well. You need to maintain the same circumference in case of tyre replacement. As you increase the width of the tyre, you should decrease the wall thickness to main the overall circumference of the OEM tyre. This is the basic requirement.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 21:29   #1893
BHPian

Just saw this video. Might help others if they are facing same issue with steering vibrations at high speeds.

Old 3rd November 2022, 23:31   #1894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
Just saw this video. Might help others if they are facing same issue with steering vibrations at high speeds.

https://Youtu.be/6BqdtL9fA8M
Although I agree that his vehicle is from the first lot of Scorpio N’s so it could be due to some manufacturing fault but very honestly I don’t think Mr. Panwar’s experiences especially negative ones on any of his vehicles hold much value to any normal/sane user of the same vehicle. If you see any of his videos you can clearly see the pattern of utter abuse he puts his vehicles through for ex. doing a tug-o-war with his Thar, doing top speed runs on a brand new vehicle, abusing his vehicle just because it’s a 4x4 and throwing it into deep muck and not to mention his weird tests like driving his Thar with 4H engaged on high speeds. So IMO much of the issues that he faces are due to his own abusive usage and when something breaks he simply maligns the brand and gets quick service/repairs for the same.
Shrey1230 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 23:25   #1895
BHPian

Just heard on the Facebook group about an official email from Mahindra about delaying deliveries. Some declares say it is to sort out issues in the vehicles. Anyone got any such mail or has any inputs about any recall?
slylenser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 23:32   #1896
BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio N 6 Seater Review (Petrol)

After going through the forum and following this thread since its inception, I found that very less coverage was available for the 6 seater variant and even lesser for the petrol version. Since I happen to own the unicorn i.e. the 6 Seater Petrol version, I felt it is for the best that I put in my 2 cents about this amazing vehicle.

The car has done about 1400 KMs and with one service done at the time of writing this. I feel I have garnered enough information/quirks about this car for me to pass it on to all future/current owners.

THINGS I LOVE
1. Amazing road presence, you feel like you’re riding the chariot of the gods, everything and everyone will give way.

2. Although looks are subjective but IMO the SUV looks like an evolution to all the previous generations of the Scorpio Monicker and the front view and the front 3/4 view are the prettiest angles.

3. Unbelievably silent and refined power-plant. The 2.0 M-Stallion has truly evolved so much in the two years since it was mated with the Thar, not just in pure numbers but also in terms of refinement. You will seldom find even the slightest of engine noise penetrating the firewall into the cabin. Which for a 200 BHP/2 Tonne SUV is astonishing.

4. Keeping onto the engine part, I’m extremely impressed with the fuel economy that it has been delivering, in purely city driving 9-10 KMpL when driven without the intension of churning out good fuel economy. And on mild-highway runs it delivered a solid 14-15 KMpL, which again is impressive given the size and power figures.

5. The fit and finish and the materials used have been upgraded by leaps and bounds compared to the previous generations of Scorpio.

6. The comfort of the seats and the way they hold is quite well engineered, and the powered driver seat adds onto the ease of use, although I feel the omission of the memory function was a quite weird and illogical miss.

7. The MID cluster is quite neat with crisp resolution and very well placed/designed menus from ergonomical POV.

8. The massive hood and the thin dashboard provides a really good viewing range and to add that over the commanding seating position this vehicle surely gives a lot of confidence while being driven; be it in narrow city streets or wide highways.

9. The throw of the headlights is quite good, I am coming from a 2020 MSIL XL6, hence I was familiar with the pros and cons of a LED setup so, keeping that in mind, the lights do their work well.

10. The body roll has been greatly minimised due to the shorter roll arm height of 463mm, wider wheel track of 1580mm and not to forget how well the FDD works to deliver a pleasant and controlled drive every single time.

11. All in all this is a great vehicle to buy and drive especially given the price point and it surely is the kind of car which wants to make you go out for a spin at every opportunity you get.

THINGS THAT COULD’VE BEEN BETTER
1. The rear boot space is the Achilles’ heel of this SUV, it is simply very ill-designed and is a lot of wasted and mismanaged space especially in a vehicle which will be used as a highway tourer by majority of its owners.

2. Features are spread out in odd ways throughout all the variants, for ex. only the Z8L 4WD AT version gets wireless charging, and the ~20 Lakh OTR Z8 MT gets steel rims and wheel caps.

3. Advertising features that are not present at the time of delivery for ex. Apple CarPlay and the fact that they made XUV700 owners wait 10 months for it was unacceptable, I hope we get CarPlay sooner.

4. Although it offers a very planted drive for a robust BOF SUV, the rear tends to fishtail when taken over rumble strips/strips of speedbumps at an angle. Maybe that is due to the Watt’s Pentalink. Although the vehicle stays in control throughout but still one needs to be cautious.

THINGS I HATE & NIGGLES FOUND
1. Quality control needs to be more stringent at the Chakan plant as I had a warranty claim on my car even before it rolled out of the showroom for the LH rear captain seat not tumbling, had to get the whole unit replaced, and now checking the 40P of the seat for faulty locks is an official RO for all the Scorpio N’s rolling in for service.

2. Major flaw in the engineering and R&D of the vehicle is the hood support rod; which is too sharp and is creating a pinch/bulge on the skin of the hood due to the weight of the hood. I mentioned this earlier on this thread and shared with the GM Service who was proactive and made sure to make videos and reported it back to Chakan.

3. During my first service I noticed a weird issue present in all the models (at least all the models present at the service station and the demo vehicles in my case) where during the day when the headlights are turned off, when you press the brake, the rear license plate lights also light up along with the HMSL and brake lights, and when the headlights are on they all work fine. Checked this issue in all the vehicles it was present in all.

4. The rear look of the vehicle is truly an acquired taste and takes time grow on you. It looks good in Napoli Black and Deep Forest Green but in all the other shades the black appliqué just below the rear glass pops out like an eyesore IMO.

5. An age old issue of Mahindra vehicles producing a lot of brake dust is present in the Scorpio N too, it makes the rims extremely dirty and difficult to clean.

6. The rear door cladding near the wheel well, just like the previous generations, works as a splash guard too, which makes it more prone to spoiling the rear passengers’ clothings during ingress and egress.

7. The head unit has frozen on me once and had to turn off-on the vehicle to make it work again. The bluetooth connectivity is also finicky.

8. The AdrenoX app is also buggy and randomly glitches for ex. it shows my door/tailgate is open when it is not.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-c248838ff6aa44ec991768561959b508.jpeg

Booking experience:
Much like most of us on this thread I also booked mine on 30th July, although I was already given a heads up by the dealer to put in a booking from my end as they were already expecting a lot of bookings and chances of mine getting price protection was more if I did it myself and I’m so glad they were right as from the ~200 bookings they made from their end none got price protection. Whereas initially I too did not get in the introductory batch but was soon shifted to one after the reshuffling of bookings on the 2nd of August.

Driving experience:
After test driving all the variants and all the gearboxes, I zeroed in on the petrol version because of my limited run and the refinement and ease of use (no DEF issues) of BS6 petrol engines compared to its diesel counterparts. The M-Stallion has truly been delivering amazing performance with solid economy to make me happy about my decision everytime I step up into the vehicle. The low end torque is quite well managed but the sweet spot is between 1700-2000 RPM and after about 2200 RPM it gives you the brute power you’ll enjoy and even after being a petrol mill one has to drive it like a diesel, as the gearing ratios and redlines are quite short. Which makes driving more intuitive or tedious depending on one’s liking as they will find themselves shifting gears a lot. But in my case I prefer that over the autobox. I personally feel like the block offered has the potential to easily churn 250+ BHP figures in its future iterations and knowing M&M they just might do it in the coming years.

Service and maintenance:
Although this was my first Mahindra vehicle, I was quite familiar with M&M’s workshop ethics way back from the humble Bolero days as I grew up & around visiting a Mahindra Auth. Service Station which is owned by a close family friend for more than the past 20 years. And even the workshop owned by the dealer from where I bought the car from has shown impeccable support and friendliness towards me during any case be it my seat replacement or any niggles or issues that I pointed out to them. The mechanics are also very well trained and were always helpful enough to explain any query asked to them. All in all really good experience so far with the service.

Impressions After One Month of Usage

Ride quality, Ergonomics & NVH:
The vehicle offers amazing comfort over bad patches and due to the FDD and robust suspension setup it glides over broken roads. And contrary to common opinion, I actually prefer the R17’s more than the R18’s as they offer a much superior ride quality compared to the latter. The ergonomics are also quite well, with everything placed where it should and due to the new damping material used on the front doors and the over all excellent insulation, the NVH is quite controlled, so full marks on that too.

AC Performance:
Mahindra has always been known for its robust HVAC units and the AC unit in the Scorpio N is no exception, it cools down the cabin after sitting in direct sun during 33°C temperatures within 2 minutes and that too in a black car which is quite impressive.

Seat comfort:
The seats are quite well designed and hold you in quite well, the rear captain chairs also offer really good comfort and is wide enough to accommodate people of all sizes and heights, although slide function in the middle row would’ve been appreciated but, I knew what I was getting into before buying so it’s all well.

Infotainment & Sound:
Although Mahindra claims that it is the same unit from the 700, I still feel like it lacks behind it, maybe that is due to the extra cabin space compared to the 700. But still when seen as a stand-alone setup it sounds really well, specially the 3D Sound setup. Although I’m eagerly waiting for Apple CarPlay to arrive as going back to Bluetooth from CarPlay is quite infuriating.

I hope this review would help ease any confusion or second thoughts anyone might be having especially who are waiting for their petrol Scorpio N or planning to book one. It’s an amazing piece of machinery, and as they say no vehicle is perfect, but I assure every time you climb into this SUV and drive it, it’ll put a wide bright smile on your face.
Signing off with a couple of pictures of my Scorpio N.

Regards,
Shrey
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-93a5965b6adf4c79af7b000da8cd34b9.jpeg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-0012d7136c6845d1b27fad3205d7f945.jpeg  

Last edited by Eddy : 5th November 2022 at 02:40. Reason: spacing for better readability
Shrey1230 is offline   (82) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 01:57   #1897
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to the members who responded earlier. Today I found michelin has launched a new variant of primacy called Primacy SUV+ in size of 265/60R18 110H. This can be tried.
Now I have a new question to the forum - how much cost tyre dealers adjust for the MRF wandered that is coming as a stock , in exchange?
arvindtayal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 11:34   #1898
BHPian

In 265/60 size you’ll have many options in Michelin, GY, apollo, Yokos, Bridgestone, Maxis etc but still the question remains if 265/60 will be the perfect upgrade as the clearances on the inside near the suspension and upper arm are too close to the wheel. There are people who have upgraded to 265/60 but looks like there will be some compromises too.

Many manufacturers will come out with 255/60 as more vehicles start plying on road…would suggest to wait but you can take your call based on your usage and liking.
rahulya007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 20:35   #1899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey1230 View Post
Although I agree that his vehicle is from the first lot of Scorpio N’s so it could be due to some manufacturing fault
I will have to agree with you. In the video following the one I shared, it was found out that the problem was actually with mud getting stuck to some parts as a result of irresponsible off-roading, which he did. Cleaning of the parts resulted in the sorting of the issue.

It seems a replacement of the part that is shown in the video I shared was never required.

What surprises me though is that Anand Mahindra himself keeps a tab on this guy's video. He shared a video from Arun recently.

Quote:

After going through the forum and following this thread since its inception, I found that very less coverage was available for the 6 seater variant and even lesser for the petrol version.
Thanks for the review of the 6-seater. I always felt that 6-seater made more sense as the 3rd-row space issue gets somewhat resolved in it. I saw a video where 3rd-row passengers were able to stretch their legs in the middle gap of 2nd-row seats and it looked pretty practical as well. With 6-seater, the 3rd row did not feel that cramped.

Unfortunately, Mahindra went ahead and charged a neat premium for the 6-seater thereby taking it out of my budget :(

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th November 2022 at 21:34. Reason: Back to Back posts merged. Quoted posts trimmed.
Nightmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 21:30   #1900
BHPian

Quote:
THINGS I LOVE

4. Keeping onto the engine part, I’m extremely impressed with the fuel economy that it has been delivering, in purely city driving 9-10 KMpL when driven without the intension of churning out good fuel economy. And on mild-highway runs it delivered a solid 14-15 KMpL, which again is impressive given the size and power figures.
This is a wonderful review of Scorpio N and would definitely help the prospective buyers and people on waiting queue.

Are these FE figures from MID readings or calculated from tankful method? The FE figures reported by you are acceptable considering the shape, dimensions and weight of Scorpio N.

After cancelling the Scorpio N Petrol AT, now I regret my decision in view of the recent Diesel car ban in Delhi and single digit FE of Petrol AT. I did the cancellation on 31st October. And your review was published after few days.
Old 5th November 2022, 22:22   #1901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhination View Post
I took a u-turn in one of my street roads and felt that my vehicle would start the drama if you are doing a speed of more than 40-50 km/hr, unless you want to activate your health and car insurance simultaneously, do not take turns with Scorpio N on speed more than this.
Congrats brother. May you munch a lots of miles with it.

And just out of curiosity, what is your view about handling and turning on expressways? Understeer, oversteer, too much tilt? At what max speed were you able to turn confidently?

I hope the above mentioned speeds are for sharp turns.

Mod Note : Please stick to the topic of the discussion without bringing in any regionalism.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th November 2022 at 12:03. Reason: Off topic comment deleted.
Old 6th November 2022, 11:15   #1902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error402 View Post
Congrats brother. Glad to talk to another Himachli (strongly supposing, sorry if I am wrong) with a Scorpio. May you munch a lots of miles with it.

And just out of curiosity, what is your view about handling and turning on expressways? Understeer, oversteer, too much tilt? At what max speed were you able to turn confidently?

I hope the above mentioned speeds are for sharp turns.
Ride, stability and handling is superb on highways. I did multiple pune-mumbai runs and at no point I was uncomfortable at legal speed limit. Having said that, please be mindful that this is a BOF still and should be driven like that. Cannot be driven like a monocoque at high speed specially on curves..
alokk0912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 20:18   #1903
BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra Scorpio N 6 Seater Review (Petrol)
First of all thank you everyone for showing such great support on my review & I will surely keep updating on all significant milestones the vehicle achieves.

Quote:
Thanks for the review of the 6-seater. I always felt that 6-seater made more sense.
I’m really glad my review was of some help to you. And yes I do agree with you, 6 Seaters do make more sense IMO too, the same reason why I went for the XL6 in 2020. And since I don’t have a family of 7 to seat everytime I head out, the captain seats made further more sense to me, and not to forget the added comfort for the rear passengers during longer journeys. And yes I too felt that I was overcharged for subtracting a seat from my 7 seater! ₹19,000 extra for an omission is quite illogical IMO.

Quote:
What surprises me though is that Anand Mahindra himself keeps a tab on this guy's video. He shared a video from Arun recently.
I’m quite sure Mr. Mahindra has not seen the whole video or atleast the part where it was clearly told that the owner was someone else and NOT Arun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
This is a wonderful review of Scorpio N and would definitely help the prospective buyers and people on waiting queue.
Thank you Riju, I am sorry my review got a bit late as I wanted to write one post my first service.

Quote:
Are these FE figures from MID readings or calculated from tankful method?
Yes the fuel figures are done from tank to tank method only, although the MID was also not that far off, barely 0.5-1 KMpL difference is there and the AdrenoX app is the most accurate in terms of fuel economy per trip.

Quote:
I regret my decision in view of the recent Diesel car ban
Don’t feel blue about your decision, I’m sure one day soon you’ll be a proud ScorpioN owner too and on the brighter side you’ll surely receive a more well sort after and a more reliable vehicle compared to what you would’ve gotten now.

Attaching a photo I took of my Scorpio N recently post a tedious but heartedly wash and quick detail.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-3293908b02ce43bc951c1451a6bba001.jpeg
Regards,
Shrey
Shrey1230 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 22:55   #1904

Thank you for the detailed review. I also own the same variant. Received mine on the 31st. The highway mileage figures are a big relief, especially when in Delhi NCR , buying diesel vehicles are a dicey bet.
udaivir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 23:27   #1905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaivir View Post
Thank you for the detailed review. I also own the same variant. Received mine on the 31st. The highway mileage figures are a big relief, especially when in Delhi NCR , buying diesel vehicles are a dicey bet.
Thank you & congratulations on your new ScorpioN buddy!
I couldn’t agree more with you on the diesel part, I too was a bit skeptical at the time of booking as I wanted the 4WD MT, but since M&M didn’t offer it in petrol, for once I considered going the diesel way but I’m glad I didn’t let my heart win over my head on this one as after seeing the sudden grappling of BS4 diesels and the various issues regarding DEF and whatnot, I’m glad about my choice and I love the smooth and much more powerful engine which is offering me some solid fuel economy figures for such a heavy SUV.

Regards,
Shrey
Shrey1230 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks