Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2022, 12:36   #1696
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

SCORPIO N 1000 km Service

I have owned 3 cars in my life the N being 4th one. Never was the first service so long or full of mechanical work.
Came in thinking it’ll take an hour or two and will take the car home.

The first issue that came as soon as I left for the service station was the hill hold function error. The light came on and upon restating the car it vanished but the same was told to the service staff.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-8ae9fed5559444848055e88231108a81.jpeg

The alignment issue was taken car off, and then came a series of major issues that stunned me. The car was lifted and straight away the front left arm boot was found punctured. Grease was spread all over and that was a mess. The service advisor told me that it’s good it was detected now as there was still a lot of grease left and it wasn’t running dry.
The rubber part wasn’t available but they called up another service centre and arranged it and replaced it under warranty.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-8409850e4c344c6eb89cf9e12af62526.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-32a86a6dcfde47d885333a185c02cb5b.jpeg

The next issue wasn’t detected by the service staff. I was looking at the underbody carefully (as I usually do at every service). I found some grease below the transmission.

Upon touching it I felt a huge lump of oil in the chassis.

Close inspection revealed the transmission gasket paste was improper and that was causing a leak. The transmission oil was not at appropriate levels and it was thanks to the 1000 km service interval that this issue was detected. If I drove more who knows what major damage the transmission would face.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-34f2803da12f4e5a84d7fc0ff5a5ceb6.jpeg

I know first batches are prone to problems but these aren’t niggles. These are serious mechanical flaws that don’t happen in a new product. These are production line and quality issues.

Another thing to note coming from the XUV 500 is the airfilter assembly. It is a much thinner and a much lighter material used in my previous vehicle. Hope this doesn’t choke easily.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-2416f6b0a84b400bb3c661583e94836a.jpeg

Another thing to note is that the oil change intervals for the N is 10,000 kms or 1 year where as in the 500 it was 1 year or 20,000 km. They have shifted to a cheaper oil with more frequent intervals. Cheeky play by mahindra to increase the per service cost.

Having said that I will give an opposite conclusion.
The sales staff and the service centre staff has been very helpful and active in solving issues. But the product has been a bit below my expectations as of now. I hope these issues are the last ones I face and the car is as solid as I thought it is.
kushgandhi is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 12:50   #1697
BHPian

The initial user experience, niggles or problems reported in the forum are for the Diesel variants.
Is there any user experience for the petrol variant? Kindly provide your feedback please.
Old 4th October 2022, 13:08   #1698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post

The first issue that came as soon as I left for the service station was the hill hold function error. The light came on and upon restating the car it vanished but the same was told to the service staff.
Thanks for sharing your service experience!
What was done regarding the HHC error? Did the staff diagnose the issue and what was reported to you?
Thanks!
Old 4th October 2022, 16:13   #1699
BHPian

For the uninitiated - When shifting to 2H back from 4H/4L, one needs to drive about a meter in reverse (and in straight line) to release to auto lock hubs. See the user manual below for reference.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-c1.jpg
purohitanuj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 17:25   #1700
BHPian

Quote:
I know first batches are prone to problems but these aren’t niggles. These are serious mechanical flaws that don’t happen in a new product. These are production line and quality issues.
Thanks for sharing the shortcomings and and measures of correction. These should have been taken care by robust QC in place for a flagship brand name of Scorpio.
A humble request, please do escalate on social media also for the benefit of all. Though MnM is good customer centric company and your experience with service center was good, but we dont know of any communication happening between the ASS and MnM. If they are reporting thats good thing.
rooster.ram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 18:26   #1701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster.ram View Post
A humble request, please do escalate on social media also for the benefit of all. Though MnM is good customer centric company and your experience with service center was good, but we dont know of any communication happening between the ASS and MnM. If they are reporting thats good thing.
No escalation was needed. The Regional manager of mahindra contacted me this evening and he assured me utmost quality of work. He asked me to drop the vehicle in case of any issues and even offered me to have the vehicle for an inspection by Mahindra directly.

As said earlier the staff has been very helpful and it’s great they raised this issue with mahindra and mahindra’s response was immediate.

I am planning to take the car once more to the service centre after driving it for another 1000 km. Just for a routine check and ensuring no leaks or problems arise.

This response by Mahindra has truly calmed me down and I am sure the company will back the product in case of any issues.
kushgandhi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 18:50   #1702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
For the uninitiated - When shifting to 2H back from 4H/4L, one needs to drive about a meter in reverse (and in straight line) to release to auto lock hubs. See the user manual below for reference.
"Unlocking is necessarily required to be done to isolate front axle and transfer case from transmission and from front wheels" from the attached pic in quoted post.

This statement doesn't make sense. A hub lock will only disconnect axle from the wheels. Where does the TC case come into play here?

The TC you just shift to 2wd. After shifting to 2wd, even if your hubs don't disengage, you would probably get a poorer FE but not a windup.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 19:37   #1703
BHPian

Quote:

Hi, whats the resolution to this problem? I have had this twice in a running car. The sequence is - all screens go blank. Then after a while the display comes back - and then hill control error and then becomes OK ..

this is a sample of the problem
adzegeek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 19:57   #1704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Hi, whats the resolution to this problem?

this is a sample sample of the problem
In my experience with the old Scorpio and XUV, all these issues have a 2 step resolution - software update and if that doesn't work, replace the magical silver box.

That's all the service center does - always.
slylenser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 20:09   #1705
BHPian

Quote:
No escalation was needed. The Regional manager of mahindra contacted me this evening and he assured me utmost quality of work. He asked me to drop the vehicle in case of any issues and even offered me to have the vehicle for an inspection by Mahindra directly.
Relieved to hear this and this restores confidence that feedback will reach factory also from the inspection team by MnM.
Old 4th October 2022, 22:13   #1706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
Thanks for sharing your service experience!
What was done regarding the HHC error? Did the staff diagnose the issue and what was reported to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Hi, whats the resolution to this problem? I have had this twice in a running car.
The solution was wheel alignment according to the technician a faulty alignment can cause this error. They also checked for updates, none were available as they updated the system before delivery.

But post alignment the left pulling is gone and the error hasn't appeared again.
Strange and a bit confusing as the alignment was very slightly off and I have never saw this on my XUV 500.
kushgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 23:10   #1707
BHPian

Quote:
No escalation was needed. The Regional manager of mahindra contacted me this evening and he assured me utmost quality of work. He asked me to drop the vehicle in case of any issues and even offered me to have the vehicle for an inspection.

This response by Mahindra has truly calmed me down and I am sure the company will back the product in case of any issues.
As far as i have heard within group company that I work with, Anand Mahindra himself is very meticulous about customer care. The head of the customer care reports to him and has to submit a report about how many issues were reported and how many closed.

Rest assured, Mahindra will do everything they can to sort out issues reported to them as their reputation is equally at stake here with an iconic product as Scorpio.

There was a prime time talk with Pratap Bose yesterday, an event so named as some reputed personality is invited every time to share insights into their field of expertise. Yesterday was PB’s turn and he made a very nice statement on the subject of Bolero to XUV where he also spoke about the upcoming electric brand BE.

He said, there are some products which themselves become brands like Bolero, Thar, XUV and Scorpio for which the manufacturer name is not required to be written with the product name. When such is the stake of Mahindra, it would only be wise to consider that they’ll do everything to sort out issues reported to them via proper channels.
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 02:22   #1708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Car has arrived at the dealership, did a PDI today.

There is a distinct noise while turning the steering, brought this to the notice of the technician and was told that some rubber part is playing foul and can be adjusted.

The headlamp throw appeared to be fine but will get it checked tomorrow again the headlamp adjustment board.

There is a small scruff mark in the interior (co driver side A Pillar)

It was late today so couldn’t drive the car , will drive it tomorrow and check out the noise/clang issue.
Took delivery of the car today. It was a nice experience.

What was not so nice was despite me repeatedly telling them beforehand to clean the car properly before delivery the car had finger stain marks all over the interior which had to be sorted. Still there are some stain marks which have not been cleaned.

Adrenox was not activated and since tomorrow is Dussehra now I would have to wait.

Since I plan to get registration number of my choice, dealer has to pay RTO online and give me the file so that I can go to RTO and pay fees in person.
I was not provided with the entire file , just temporary number registration and Insurance. Again have to wait till day after and then plan a visit to the RTO.

Now the niggles part, the headlamp throw inside the dealership seemed decent , out on the highway as well it didn’t feel compromised but I would gladly ask the Service executive to raise the beam for a better output without blinding the oncoming traffic of course.

In My car, PRNDS console backlight is not working!
On my first day of PDI , I had brought this to the notice of the service executive but I was told it’s not backlit in Scorpio N , so I didn’t think much about it.
But after delivery I saw a YouTube video clearly shows that they are backlit.
ishlinea7260 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 09:24   #1709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
In My car, PRNDS console backlight is not working!
The console looks same as in Thar and the backlight turns on only when the headlight is on. Please check if it works with headlights on.

Last edited by Tourer : 5th October 2022 at 09:26.
Old 5th October 2022, 11:02   #1710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
The console looks same as in Thar and the backlight turns on only when the headlight is on. Please check if it works with headlights on.
I checked but no, it does not.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-6df8aea6fac046c3adf061a367033835.jpeg  

Most Viewed