Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2022, 14:16   #1711
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Hi,

My SA called me confirming delivery by next week and he also mentioned the prices are going to be increased by Rs.10,000. My original date for delivery was March 2023. They had more than 50% of dummy bookings. Looking at the niggles already galore here, im skeptical if i should postpone or take delivery next week. I have asked for VIN and PDI, anything specific to be checked in the PDI ?

Mine is a Z8L, Diesel, Auto, 2WD. Are these niggles specific to 4wD or every Scorpio N (irrespective of AT or MT) ?

Does anybody have any knowledge on the ICE ? does it have the same Amp and internals as XUV700 ? just upgrading the speakers, will it sound as good as a XUV700 ? If its a direct fit, would be replacing the speakers from Xuv700.

Thanks

Last edited by revv_maniac : 5th October 2022 at 14:20. Reason: Spelling
revv_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 16:05   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
I checked but no, it does not.
Received a call from the service advisor, he said that he has checked and normally it is backlit.
Have asked him to raise the issue with Mahindra.
Since there are no mechanical issues as of now, I am planning to wait for a few more days before I visit the dealership.
ishlinea7260 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 17:01   #1713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
"Unlocking is necessarily required to be done to isolate front axle and transfer case from transmission and from front wheels" from the attached pic in quoted post.

This statement doesn't make sense. A hub lock will only disconnect axle from the wheels. Where does the TC case come into play here?

The TC you just shift to 2wd. After shifting to 2wd, even if your hubs don't disengage, you would probably get a poorer FE but not a windup.
I do understand your point but as I am not sure of complete setup I cannot comment with confidence. I think what the manual wish to say is to disconnect the wheels as they still might be individually braked (traction control) which could lead to issues. I also understand that open front diffs should be able to account for any speed difference due to steering or traction control but as that point was mentioned, I thought to share it here.
Old 5th October 2022, 17:05   #1714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post

Does anybody have any knowledge on the ICE ? does it have the same Amp and internals as XUV700 ? just upgrading the speakers, will it sound as good as a XUV700 ? If its a direct fit, would be replacing the speakers from Xuv700.
Amp may be same as the system included is developed for 700, and seems to be directly used in Scorpio N. However, the system is only tuned by Sony and not supplied by sony, speakers are not Sony branded from the XUV700. Similar shall be the case for Scorpio. Both systems should be having same components and replacing speakers with 700 speakers wont help. However, you must try with the equaliser settings available in Scorpio N, you can find the settings with trial and error that suit your test. 3D immersive sound settings change experience IMHO.

Sound quality in 700 and Scorpio N is essentially different because of placement and relative positioning of speakers in addition to the volume/ space that is available for each speaker.
rooster.ram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 19:23   #1715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
Hi,

My SA called me confirming delivery by next week and he also mentioned the prices are going to be increased by Rs.10,000. My original date for delivery was March 2023. They had more than 50% of dummy bookings. Looking at the niggles already galore here, im skeptical if i should postpone or take delivery next week. I have asked for VIN and PDI, anything specific to be checked in the PDI ?

Mine is a Z8L, Diesel, Auto, 2WD. Are these niggles specific to 4wD or every Scorpio N (irrespective of AT or MT) ?

Thanks
I went through the same thought process , all I wanted was to just make the audio a bit heavy and addition of an underseat active(powered) should do the job but I don’t know if anyone has tried checking the amplifier unit and see if we split out a connection to the subwoofer - no success so for. Interesting to know that speakers are not from Sony but just tuned by them .

In any case I took the vehicle to my accessories guy who is fairly knowledgable. But the moment he looked at it - he’s like it’s a complete sealed unit and will for sure void the warranty if tried tinkering with it , let’s say we don’t worry about the warranty for a second - even then he said you’ll have to replace the whole thing , very difficult to find the couplers to use the existing setup. He knows I’m not an audiophile and the addition I’m looking for is not worth losing the warranty on. I’ll continue my research in Karol Bagh Delhi ( taking the Scorpio N from Bangalore To Delhi for Diwali).
NerDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 20:50   #1716
BHPian

Got my Z8L, Petrol AT delivered today. So far, none of the reported issues like veering of the steering, headlights alignment or Katak sound I have faced. Will share a detailed review after driving for at least 500 Kms. Fingers crossed till then. However, overall drivability and response from 200 bhp petrol engine is superb. Eagerly waiting to finish the first 1000 Km run in before enjoying the full power of this beast. I am anyways coming from old scorpio so for me this N is multiple generations ahead.

It garnered lot of interests from neighbors and most of them who are not into Mahindra vehicles were just surprised to see scorpio in this Avatar.

Sound system is good and as already reported, can be a bit better. However, it is good enough for me as of now and I don't plan to fiddle with it.
alokk0912 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 15:07   #1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
The drain channels are on the extreme outer side of the sunroof and since we have not heard anyone complaining of a leak in a test drive yet, we can safely assume / wish there won't be any for production cars as well.
As shown in the video below by a youtuber reviewing his own Scorpio N, the speakers are visible. The timestamp is 5:25.

The video is also an example of what happens when one doesn't do a PDI and buys from first production lot of Mahindra.
kmaitrey064 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 16:47   #1718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaitrey064 View Post
As shown in the video below by a Youtuber reviewing his own Scorpio N, the speakers are visible. The timestamp is 5:25.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=2aRd...nel=ArunPanwar

The video is also an example of what happens when one doesn't do a PDI and buys from first production lot of Mahindra.
This is not about PDI. This is just idiotic fault finding just for sake of making videos and increasing views.

Most idiotic video that I have seen. Just a couple of days before, this guy was praising the vehicle and in just 2 days he finds a plethora of so called "issues" and makes a video. Was he not aware of most of the features before he booked it ? pls. stop promoting such fanatics who make videos for the sake of making it and increasing views.

Most of the points he mentioned are not issues at all. Clutch pin often makes noise or at times, there is some noise of the assembly as well which goes away with lubrication. I have myself changed clutch pins twice or thrice in warranty period. Tweeters on door being visible in an "issue". I mean come on, what are you saying ? were you sleeping when you went to see the car, test drove it, purchased it and bought it home ? Now for this guy, the size of holes on the tweeter cover is an issue.

Gear Shifting is hard, we have heard but that typically happens in bikes as well in form of false neutrals and these problems are sorted in servicing. But this guy wants to highlight it as "issue". Bottle Holder, again same point, was he not aware of the bottle position when kept in door ? Camera is laggy, software update will sort that out as it did in XUV too. Boot Door is sideways, again idiotic mention. If he wanted a sensor and upwards opening tailgate, he shouldn't have purchased Scorpio in first place.

Horn pad just needs realignment. Vehicle doesn't take off on 2nd gear can this be an issue ? it is better as it damages the clutch plates. I stopped watching video after this...
rahulya007 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 17:11   #1719
BHPian

Quote:
This is not about PDI. This is just idiotic fault finding just for sake of making videos and increasing views.
Most of these so called "Car Gurus/Youtube Car Experts" have this favorite video content type - bash new cars. And it all starts with "Mai is gaadi se bahut pyaar karta hu lekin Mahindra ne ye nahi diya, Tata ne wo nahi diya...". The same thing happened with XUV700 and Scorpio-N won't be any different.

Most of the items he listed should have been checked when he was deciding to buy the car or during PDI. When you bring a car home and pay the dealer without even taking a look at your car, forget doing a proper PDI, then you are to blame more than the manufacturer.
acquillew is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 18:15   #1720

Quote:

Most idiotic video that I have seen. Just a couple of days before, this guy was praising the vehicle and in just 2 days he finds a plethora of so called "issues" and makes a video. Was he not aware of most of the features before he booked it ? pls. stop promoting such fanatics who make videos for the sake of making it and increasing views.
While we can all agree that many sections of the video were shoving the common-sense in the backseat, you could have expressed your opinion in the youtube comments, directly visible to the uploader instead of ranting out here.

My aim was only to confirm that the speakers near the sunroof edge are more than easily accessible when the sunroof is open, in production cars, which was the query earlier in the thread. This is poor design by M&M to say the least.

The poor fit and finish, or hornpad alignment complains he made are genuine issues in quality control and please explain me why these things can't be caught in a proper PDI.

Yes, anybody is claiming to be a 'car reviewing guru' nowadays, but not many people seem to condemn carmakers for poor quality control.

Mindsets like 'this niggle will be sorted at 1st service', 'this issue will be resolved by software update', pose one question in my mind. Does any carmaker take a stance that 'oh 10% of the car price that I was expecting has an issue with payment getaway, never mind, here, take the car and I'll wait for 6 months to get my money'? If all carmakers want to be paid upfront, why we, as users can't expect all functionalities, features and fit/finish to be spot on at day one?
kmaitrey064 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 18:38   #1721

Quote:
As shown in the video below by a Youtuber reviewing his own Scorpio N, the speakers are visible.
This Guy Arun Panwar makes videos just for the sake of views. He has no content....In his previous video he was crying about bad mileage of 9.5 kmpl that too at a speed of 160km/hr.

If you want a genuine owners review watch the below video

gaurav6464 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 18:42   #1722
BHPian

Quote:
As shown in the video below by a Youtuber reviewing his own Scorpio N, the speakers are visible. The timestamp is 5:25.
If you really want to watch good YouTube videos, watch this video. The owner is the TBhpian (kushgandhi??) we are interacting here everyday. Very nice explanation and demonstration of the features. And I really liked the way he talks.

Quote:
Yes, anybody is claiming to be a 'car reviewing guru' nowadays, but not many people seem to condemn carmakers for poor quality control.

Mindsets like 'this niggle will be sorted at 1st service', 'this issue will be resolved by software update', pose one question in my mind. Does any carmaker take a stance that 'oh 10% of the car price that I was expecting has an issue with payment getaway, never mind, here, take the car and I'll wait for 6 months to get my money'? If all carmakers want to be paid upfront, why we, as users can't expect all functionalities, features and fit/finish to be spot on at day one?
I completely agree with your point. A similar issue was touched upon in this YT video regarding the absence of Apple carplay and example of Skoda offering cash discounts against absence of declared features.

Last edited by RijuC : 6th October 2022 at 18:49.
RijuC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 19:12   #1723

Hi All,
I have noticed the following two issues after 1 week of usage. (2wd AT diesel)

1. Wireless charging is not working (tried with multiple phones). Has anyone faced this ?
2. When I move from P/N to D/R and release the brakes, I kind of get a loud screechy sound. Called up the service center who said that its normal to have some sound with automatics, and should not worry if the car is running fine ! I am anyway taking it to get it checked sometime this weekend.

Thanks!
Old 6th October 2022, 19:32   #1724
BHPian

Quote:
While we can all agree that many sections of the video were shoving the common-sense in the backseat, you could have expressed your opinion in the Youtube comments, directly visible to the uploader instead of ranting out here.
Will surely write on the comments section and i have written comments earlier for yash4w videos too. I am not ranting out but the quality of content is no where there and almost 9-10 out of those 15 issues, he mentioned aren't issues at all. Why make an unnecessary noise then is my point.

Quote:
My aim was only to confirm that the speakers near the sunroof edge are more than easily accessible when the sunroof is open, in production cars, which was the query earlier in the thread. This is poor design by M&M to say the least.

The poor fit and finish, or hornpad alignment complains he made are genuine issues in quality control and please explain me why these things can't be caught in a proper PDI.
No way i am saying that quality issues are not there but this may not be true with all vehicles. Sunroof speakers are exposed, agreed and no one is denying it. The owner should have highlighted the trim issue to the showroom while taking delivery. The Door trim on the driver side wouldn't have escaped the whatever QC Mahindra does but owner should have mentioned this in earlier videos too. In one you praise the vehicle to the heart and in the next you do fault finding to the core. Not sure, in the excitement of getting an early delivery, whether he did a PDI or just created another video of PDI to get likes and views.

Quote:
That way, show me one vehicle in the passenger segment which is 100% complete or does not have issues at all. Even Honda, a Japanese brand, did a recall for WRV and Honda City for some faulty parts, the less we talk about Skoda, the better. In that sense, we are only talking about a fix to the existing feature which KushGandhi mentioned in the video very well. We as humans are not 100% perfect so something made by us can have some issues which are anyways fixable. Unless the laws are not stringent on the manufacturers, these things will exists to some extent..as someone said.. this is a seller's market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav6464 View Post
This Guy Arun Panwar makes videos just for the sake of views. He has no content....In his previous video he was crying about bad mileage of 9.5 kmpl that too at a speed of 160km/hr.

I was about to post this video as one of our member KushGandhi has given a genuine review and you feel like listening to. In this video, he has shown all the genuine mileage figures which gives confidence to the new buyer so nicely. On the other hand, I just saw the Arun Panwar video to know what kind of issues he is talking about and wrapped up.
rahulya007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 22:36   #1725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav6464 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
If you really want to watch good YouTube videos, watch this video. The owner is the TBhpian (kushgandhi??) we are interacting here everyday. Very nice explanation and demonstration of the features. And I really liked the way he talks.
Quote:
I was about to post this video as one of our member KushGandhi has given a genuine review and you feel like listening to. In this video, he has shown all the genuine mileage figures which gives confidence to the new buyer so nicely. On the other hand, I just saw the Arun Panwar video to know what kind of issues he is talking about and wrapped up.
Thank you everyone for the kind words and recognition, I always say what I feel about the product candidly and thats why I accepted the offer to tell my ownership experience. I genuinely believe companies like Mahindra want the best for their customers and their approach being a customer centric company has shown us the same. Bashing a vehicle for a small audience is a personal choice but genuine buyers will always end up with good products at the end of the day.

Having said this we the community should always voice our opinions and trust me Mahindra is watching us they want us to report, they want us to tell them, the feedback of the first batch owners is taking very seriously so that they can end up with a better product in the future.
kushgandhi is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed