Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2023, 08:50   #2461
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Buying Experience - Scorpio N Z8L MT 4x4

Hello everyone. Finally my first post on TBHP! Apologies in advance for the lengthy post about to follow. I'm a marine engineer residing in Kolkata. Finally managed some time to share the buying experience of my first vehicle - The Big Daddy amidst the rolling and pitching in the Atlantic.

Since the past 13 years my daily driver had been a trusty Alto K10 owned by my grandfather. A punchy and trusty 3-pot which has ferried me, my family and my friends to places known and unknown. However, due to garage constraints we had to sell her (the new owner lives hardly 500m away and I still get to see her), to welcome the Scorpio. It was definitely hard to say goodbye when I finally handed over the keys (my girlfriend had shed more tears than me). A few pictures of her attached.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20210626_18030601.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230208_194030.jpg

Booking Experience

I had booked Z8 MT 4x4 Rage Red via Royal Motors. The sales executive was extremely co-operative and communicated every detail over WhatsApp since I was on board the ship. It was a price protected booking. Alas, a few weeks later I regretted not booking Z8L when Mahindra announced the priority delivery for the same. My choice Z8 was primarily because I wanted a no-nonsense family 4x4 and a daily driver (Thar and Gurkha thus eliminated). I didn't care much for the 12 speaker setup (can't say that now) and the alloy wheels.

The Big Waiting Game

I returned back ashore on December and contacted the dealer about any Z8L 4x4 MT availability. After few weeks he provided me with an option in Napoli Black, but had to deny the same since my grandparents were against the colour. So the waiting game started again. Meanwhile, the sales executive provided me and my family with extensive test drives including a drive back home to check the garage dimensions. Since I was to set sail again in April, I too was getting impatient, so much so that I even contacted a Toyota dealership for a Fortuner 4x4 MT and they guaranteed a delivery within 2 weeks.

However, in Jan end the dealer informed me regarding availability of a MT 4x4 in Everest White and I took the leap.

Buying Experience and Delivery

While getting my finances in place, I had struck a hurdle. Since I am a NRE, a co-applicant was required to process my loan. My grandparents were not applicable as they are 70+ and I do not have any blood relative for the same. Both Axis and SBI denied me the loan. However, finally got the loan processed through ICICI with the help of an acquaintance keeping my grandmother as a co-applicant. (Don't know how it was possible). Other options were Mahindra Finance but at higher ROI.

I was not forced by the dealer for insurance or any added accessories. However, the sales person did request me to buy insurance from the dealer (never did he insist). So as a goodwill, since he did help me out smoothly with the bookings and proceedings while I was overseas, we negotiated the premium (close to market offerings) and we closed the deal. Did a PDI as per TBHP checklist. All found satisfactory. Registration was super quick. Even got a close to fancy number by luck.

During the D-Day, got all dressed up in traditional wear and there she was, basking in all her glory, colour like glistening snow amidst the soft evening sunshine. Add-on bought were mud flaps and 7D mats (the portion near the clutch heel has already torn). Experience was super smooth and detailed. Albeit, the celebrations were not like they used to be before. There was a customary photograph session with Colgate smiles, a puja of Ganesh before association with the vehicle. And then we drove away to the nearest pump and after a long long while I felt that my pocket pinched just a little less than before, haha! A few pictures of D-Day

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230426_224801.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img20230210wa0056.jpg

Proud grandparents:

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230426_225912.jpg

Shifting directly from a hatchback to a BOF SUV was intimidating, especially navigating evening traffic on the way back home. I was still trying to grasp the vehicle's dimensions and the sudden brake bite, although I had test driven the Scorpio before. However, we did bring her back home safe and sound with further adventures awaiting. More on that on my next post
sand-dune96 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 11:04   #2462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
You missed out the wireless charging and the Drive Modes (Zipper/Zapper/Zoomer)

The brochure does show this feature for both Z8 and Z8L. Is that not the case? My considerations is for the Z8 D Automatic. Trying to justify the 2L difference with the L version.

Drive Modes (Diesel) - Zip, Zap, Zoom - Yes (Diesel 2WD)

During my test drive.. the start/stop was nerve jarring. I switched it off and all was fine for the rest of the duration. Considering there is a switch for it, I guess the choice is always ours to use or not use. I will NEVER use this feature for sure.
dass is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 12:56   #2463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
This is perfect. Thanks so much for your inputs brother!

I just swapped my (horrible) Bridgestone oem 245/65R17 tyres for 255/65R17 Yoko AT tyres WITH Mahindra original alloys at Batra Tyres in chandigarh for a mind boggling price. GST billed! I can highly recommend them.
Hi Wooka,

Yokohama doesn't list the 255/65 R17, and haven't had any luck sourcing the same in Kolkata. Are these tires recently manufactured? And could you share how much they cost, and how much dealer paid you for your old tires?

Thanks.
ask99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 14:25   #2464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post
Hi Wooka,

Yokohama doesn't list the 255/65 R17, and haven't had any luck sourcing the same in Kolkata. Are these tires recently manufactured? And could you share how much they cost, and how much dealer paid you for your old tires?

Thanks.
Hey bud. These are imported tyres. Grey, so to speak. It is an off size indeed. However, it's spot on. The circumference error is 0%!
wooka is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 21:51   #2465
BHPian

Looks like I cannot edit - please merge.
Does anyone have Android Auto yet?
I do not have it in the menu of the infotainment unit.

I supposedly have the latest AOSP SW ver - something that even the svc centre people do not. Thus, they have been unable to help.
1. Dehradun DDPM
2. Chandigarh Harbir

Also, my GPS is thoroughly inaccurate and keeps spinning all over the place and jumping lanes (up to 50m across.)
The Thar in comparison has a perfectly serviceable GPS module. Quite accurate.
Old 27th April 2023, 23:40   #2466
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like I cannot edit - please merge.
Does anyone have Android Auto yet?
I do not have it in the menu of the infotainment unit.

I supposedly have the latest AOSP SW ver - something that even the svc centre people do not. Thus, they have been unable to help.
1. Dehradun DDPM
2. Chandigarh Harbir

Also, my GPS is thoroughly inaccurate and keeps spinning all over the place and jumping lanes (up to 50m across.)
The Thar in comparison has a perfectly serviceable GPS module. Quite accurate.
The android auto in cars just projects the mobile screen to the car HU so android auto updates, if any, needs to be in the connected mobile phone.
You can try increasing location accuracy by following the process in gmaps.
Apologies if I misunderstood your question.
Old 28th April 2023, 00:08   #2467
BHPian

Day by day, the listings for Scorpio N accesories on the M2all site are vanishing. I could see the prices of alloy wheels, sunshades, and others even if they were out of stock, but now they are not listed at all.

I was trying to see if the dealer was charging extra and by how much, but I cannot do so now as the pricing is not available.

Isn't this an anti-customer and pro-dealer approach to milk the customers? Without their listing, dealers have the upper hand in pricing the accessories.

Thanks to YouTubers who are introducing and showcasing the accessories available in NCR, which are not yet seen by Bangalore dealers. With one of the videos, I could find that higher-priced items (more than 4k) are quoted ~1k higher than NCR shop's Mahindra genuine accessories prices. Also, these shops are providing discounts ranging from 5-15%.

Do we have any such shops in Bangalore where I can visit and see the accessories before finalizing?.

JC road ? But which one.
KumarS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 11:24   #2468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadavsid21 View Post
The android auto in cars just projects the mobile screen to the car HU so android auto updates, if any, needs to be in the connected mobile phone.
Android auto is not available in my stereo at all. I've got multiple cars including a Jeep renegade and a Thar, the latter from the same OEM. Other XUVs and Scorpios have it. Just mine doesn't! I'll post a picture in an hour or so.

The GPS is for the in built on board navigation. It works flawlessly on the Thar. On the SN it is vague. See the attached video for reference.

Regarding m2all.... There's a 25% discount. Buy what you can. They're probably revamping. I've seen this happen over the years. Shipping is free too, currently. Use code - flat25

P. S. With the 255 65 17 tyres, the dia is 30 inches. 255 60 18 tyres are also 30. The thar is 31. Now that I have AT tyres, I'm at peace. Drove down from chandigarh to doon to Delhi with an average of 14. Hit 100 frequently. Gentle acceleration only. The odo error is nil. GPS says I was at 98 when the instrument cluster said 100. So in other words... There is only one calibration for speedo and that is with respect to a 30 inch tyre. The Z6 and below will show more mileage than actually done by a good degree. 100 speedo will probably be 94 actual on a 29 inch wheel.

Last edited by wooka : 28th April 2023 at 11:27.
wooka is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 11:27   #2469
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumarS View Post
Do we have any such shops in Bangalore where I can visit and see the accessories before finalizing?.
Go to Sireesh Auto Service division in Singasandra which is off the road towards Electronic City.
Ask for a person there in the Accessories dept called Swamy. Request him to show what they have in Mahindra Scorpio Accessories.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 12:28   #2470
BHPian

Quote:

Regarding m2all.... There's a 25% discount. Buy what you can. They're probably revamping. I've seen this happen over the years. Shipping is free too, currently. Use code - flat25
I came across a 50% discount offer today with code FLAT50, but unfortunately, I couldn't purchase anything as the website stated that the selected quantity was not available. I noticed that there were only two options on the website - add to cart and buy now - with no option to select the quantity.

I decided to call the number provided on the website to inquire about the issue. The executive informed me that they were facing some technical difficulties, and it might take them 30-40 days to resolve it. However, he gave me two other numbers to contact and place an order based on stock availability and delivery location.
I'm still waiting for a response from those numbers.

Furthermore, when I contacted the dealer's accessory team, they mentioned that the discount offer might not be applicable to N's accessories and that it was primarily aimed at clearing old stocks and for older vehicles. However, I couldn't verify this claim since I wasn't able to add anything to my cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Go to Sireesh Auto Service division in Singasandra which is off the road towards Electronic City.
Ask for a person there in the Accessories dept called Swamy. Request him to show what they have in Mahindra Scorpio Accessories.
Thank you, I'll check out this service center.

In the meantime, I've decided to purchase some accessories from the dealer, including window chrome, corner protectors, 17-inch alloy wheels, mud flaps, and scuff plates to get my Z6 ready for delivery.

I'll continue to shop around for below accessories .
  • Anti-Skid Dash Mat Set
  • Pedal cover– Hex Design
  • Front Parking Sensor
  • Rear Bumper Protector – Plastic
  • Scorpio–N – Screen Protector
  • Body Cover
  • Sunshade
  • Fog lamp
KumarS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 13:51   #2471

Quote:
Originally Posted by gviper View Post
First job after getting delivery of the Scorpio N was at 3M Car Care (Topsia, Kolkata) for a full PPF, CR70, etc. After that, installed Autotech 7D mats and a much deliberated (and unhappily decided) rear bumper guard.
Congrats on your new car.

I have my silver beast upcoming and plan to get the PPF done.
Can you please elaborate on which PPF did you choose from 3M?
Old 28th April 2023, 15:49   #2472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hi,

I have a booking with Sireesh Auto Silkboard and my car has reached them. When I requested for a PDI they said they will get the car to the showroom where I can do a PDI and not at the stockyard. Is this normal?

They said bringing the vehicle and taking it back from stockyard will be 16 kms.

Should I agree? Need some inputs.
Old 28th April 2023, 16:32   #2473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
Hi,

I have a booking with Sireesh Auto Silkboard and my car has reached them. When I requested for a PDI they said they will get the car to the showroom where I can do a PDI and not at the stockyard. Is this normal?

They said bringing the vehicle and taking it back from stockyard will be 16 kms.

Last December, I did the PDI at their stockyard in Singasandra. It depends on what all you want to do during the PDI. They generally don't encourage drive test by the owner during PDI. Accessories won't be fit until the car is ready for delivery. Adrenox enablement would be later too. The standard PDI checklist could be completed at the stockyard itself.

At the stock yard, the car will be uncleaned. If you are finicky about spotting scratches during the PDI and they agree to wash the car for the showroom PDI, it may be worth it.
haribalram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 17:59   #2474
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
When I requested for a PDI they said they will get the car to the showroom where I can do a PDI and not at the stockyard. Is this normal?

This is exactly what I did too in Feb 2021 whenI got my Thar. I took time to build a good relationship with Sireesh and my Service Advisor Jiju was most helpful. Yes I said it was perfectly fine that they bring the vehicle to the showroom and take it back. Ask them to look after the vehicle. Treat them with politeness and they will serve you well. Yes the car would have run some 30 odd Kms when you receive it. This is perfectly fine.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 19:03   #2475
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Yes, that should be perfectly fine. I believe Mahindra discouraged PDIs at stockyards due to potential risk to other vehicles. So PDI at the showroom is perfectly fine. But, please understand the plans for the vehicle after PDI is completed since it will take 7-10 days (depending on various factors) before the vehicle is delivered to you. Ensure that vehicle is not parked either in the showroom or service center. Some dealerships have dedicated parking locations for new vehicles - either this OR stockyard should be opted for.

Congratulations on the purchase and happy miles. Welcome to the club.
atluri_rkc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks