Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2023, 12:55   #2401
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Hey all, thanks for the periodic updates on Scorpio N, not a day goes by without me checking this hot thread. As a prospective buyer I'm in a dilemma of which variant to choose.
I have to choose between the Z8L AT 4WD vs Z8 AT 4WD.

I'm more inclined towards Z8 variant. But there is a big cloud of smoke around what features are missing from the Z8 vs Z8L.
I'm posting this to highlight the differences that I have come across, please update the list with your resourceful observations. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The ones we are aware of which wont be present in Z8 are:

1. Front camera: This was mentioned.
2. Electrically Adjustable Driver Seat: This was mentioned.
3. Driver Drowsiness Detection: This was mentioned.
4. Sony 12 speaker system. It was nowhere mentioned that the Z8 will come with only 6.
5. Front Parking Sensors: This was mentioned.
6. Alloy Wheels on the AT : Mentioned in brochure, but not clear as a sales rep told me 17inch but not sure what to believe as ATs get 18inch ones for Z8L.
7. Exteriors: The sales rep had mentioned that it will be missing the silver skid plates on the rear. Not sure how true it is.

The sales rep are rather confused or do not have a sure shot answer and this put me into a dilemma. Also with smart choice of words and expecting the user to read between the lines looks like a convenient strategy from Mahindra to omit features in the future perhaps ?

Last edited by skyocean : 13th April 2023 at 12:58.
Old 13th April 2023, 22:06   #2402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyocean View Post
Hey all, thanks for the periodic updates on Scorpio N, not a day goes by without me checking this hot thread. As a prospective buyer I'm in a dilemma of which variant to choose.
I have to choose between the Z8L AT 4WD vs Z8 AT 4WD.

I'm more inclined towards Z8 variant. But there is a big cloud of smoke around what features are missing from the Z8 vs Z8L.
I'm posting this to highlight the differences that I have come across, please update the list with your resourceful observations. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The ones we are aware of which wont be present in Z8 are:

1. Front camera: This was mentioned.
2. Electrically Adjustable Driver Seat: This was mentioned.
3. Driver Drowsiness Detection: This was mentioned.
4. Sony 12 speaker system. It was nowhere mentioned that the Z8 will come with only 6.
5. Front Parking Sensors: This was mentioned.
6. Alloy Wheels on the AT : Mentioned in brochure, but not clear as a sales rep told me 17inch but not sure what to believe as ATs get 18inch ones for Z8L.
7. Exteriors: The sales rep had mentioned that it will be missing the silver skid plates on the rear. Not sure how true it is.

The sales rep are rather confused or do not have a sure shot answer and this put me into a dilemma. Also with smart choice of words and expecting the user to read between the lines looks like a convenient strategy from Mahindra to omit features in the future perhaps ?
Initially, I was in that dilemma as well. I have a introductory price locked booking of the Z8 Diesel AT 4x4 Black.

In my opinion, to summarize and have an overview, the only real "features" that you would miss out on by selecting the Z8 over the Z8L would be the electrically adjustable seats. All other features, if you really critically examine, can be "fixed" in the following ways:

* I am going to install a 360 degree camera (along with the ppf) on the first day itself. I feel that it is necessary for a car this huge. Besides, anyway who has had to "side pe dabao" at the edge of a mountainous roadside at places such as rohtang, gata loops etc., know how useful a 360 degree camera is in such situations and hills etc. This would do away with the absence of the front camera and the absolutely dismal quality thereof.

* Driver drowsiness detection and the speaker upgrade is not necessarily needed, I feel. The speakers on rhe Z8 are great for most of us, barring the audiophiles.

* Front parking sensors are good to have, but a 360 degree camera will dispose off of this necessity.

* Alloy wheels are a miss, yes, but AT users will get the 18 inch alloys, so only MT users will have a problem in this regard.

Overall, therefore, if you notice, it is not worth the extra 2-2.5 lakhs premium that you paying for the Z8L upgrade. In my opinion, you would be much better off spending that amount on a good PPF (on the first say itself, this part is very important) and a good 360 degree camera system.

Those my two cents.
Incinerated is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 22:50   #2403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incinerated View Post

* I am going to install a 360 degree camera (along with the ppf) on the first day itself. I feel that it is necessary for a car this huge. Besides, anyway who has had to "side pe dabao" at the edge of a mountainous roadside at places such as rohtang, gata loops etc., know how useful a 360 degree camera is in such situations and hills etc. This would do away with the absence of the front camera and the absolutely dismal quality thereof.

Those my two cents.
From where are you planning to install the 360 degree camera on the N? I have only ever seen it done on one N and even there it wasn't well done.
Old 13th April 2023, 23:04   #2404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoz View Post
From where are you planning to install the 360 degree camera on the N? I have only ever seen it done on one N and even there it wasn't well done.
I have my eyes set on the one offered by DHC, it seems really good, especially in comparison to HyperSonic. HyperSonic is also okay (I have it installed in one of my cars), but DHC products are much more refined in my opinion.
Incinerated is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 02:12   #2405
Senior - BHPian

Haven't found a dedicated thread on tire upgrade yet on the ScorpioN.
Has anyone upgraded their 18 inch tires? To some better rubber. I think the fortuner size of 265/60R18 is the best upgrade for it giving a vast range of options.
Any reviews? Which ones would be a great road biased AT for like 95% road and maybe 5% offroad. Something silent, comfy and which resists punctures.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 06:34   #2406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Haven't found a dedicated thread on tire upgrade yet on the ScorpioN.
Has anyone upgraded their 18 inch tires? To some better rubber. I think the fortuner size of 265/60R18 is the best upgrade for it giving a vast range of options.
Any reviews? Which ones would be a great road biased AT for like 95% road and maybe 5% offroad. Something silent, comfy and which resists punctures.
I upgraded to Continental Cross Contact LX2 in 265/60/R18. It is primarily an HT tyre with mild off-road capability. Is silent and more comfortable than the stock Wanderers.

If you don't want to upsize, Conti has the Cross Contact AX6 in stock size. But this tyre is better suited for off road use.
rodeoz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 08:15   #2407
BHPian

Is there any sort of aftermarket 4explore knob cover ? Something like box stuck on top of the knob .

4explore knob and buttons are the only switch my kid likes in the whole car . Keeps messing with it
Old 14th April 2023, 12:37   #2408
BHPian

Just wanted to understand how many folks still have the initial euphoria alive. Personally speaking though I have the introductory price locked booking still available, no sight of vehicle as yet and seeing those delivery videos on YouTube, I feel the AT versions are expensive atleast 2.5L on road premium.

I am no longer excited for Scorpio N like I was 9 months back and may cancel it mostly!

Would love to hear perspective from waitlisted fellow members.
geekyengineer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 14:42   #2409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyengineer View Post
Just wanted to understand how many folks still have the initial euphoria alive. Personally speaking though I have the introductory price locked booking still available, no sight of vehicle as yet and seeing those delivery videos on YouTube, I feel the AT versions are expensive atleast 2.5L on road premium.

I am no longer excited for Scorpio N like I was 9 months back and may cancel it mostly!

I understand that it has been a long wait. But I still don't see anything that I can get at similar price with such a value. And I am saying that when I have a Z8 booked. The prices have now increased and that keeps me motivated

Safari comes close but it still is 1.5-2 lacs or even more expensive then what I have booked. Plus I am in no hurry so can wait.

For someone who needs a car right away or who has extra cash can opt out more easily I guess.
Nightmare is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 16:22   #2410
BHPian

Quote:
Initially, I was in that dilemma as well. I have a introductory price locked booking of the Z8 Diesel AT 4x4 Black.

In my opinion, to summarize and have an overview, the only real "features" that you would miss out on by selecting the Z8 over the Z8L would be the electrically adjustable seats. All other features, if you really critically examine, can be "fixed" in the following ways:

* Driver drowsiness detection and the speaker upgrade is not necessarily needed, I feel. The speakers on rhe Z8 are great for most of us, barring the audiophiles.

* Front parking sensors are good to have, but a 360 degree camera will dispose off of this necessity.

* Alloy wheels are a miss, yes, but AT users will get the 18 inch alloys, so only MT users will have a problem in this regard.

Overall, therefore, if you notice, it is not worth the extra 2-2.5 lakhs premium that you paying for the Z8L upgrade. In my opinion, you would be much better off spending that amount on a good PPF (on the first say itself, this part is very important) and a good 360 degree camera system.

Those my two cents.
Do you know of any good 360 degree camera that is compatible with the Z8 HU display? I have seen a few YouTubers fit 360 cameras in Z4 from Karol Bagh. But Z4 HU software is different. Also, the after-market 360 cameras (from what I've seen on YT) are not compatible with the switches provided below HU. Mostly people are relying on external remote switches (like a TV remote but smaller) to switch displays in 360 view.
Old 15th April 2023, 10:49   #2411
BHPian

Quote:
I have my eyes set on the one offered by DHC, it seems really good, especially in comparison to HyperSonic. HyperSonic is also okay (I have it installed in one of my cars), but DHC products are much more refined in my opinion.
Please update us in detail when you install it.

I have 3 questions - Will it void warranty? Is it compatible with Z8 display unit? Are you going to install front sensors too?
Old 15th April 2023, 14:20   #2412
BHPian

Quote:
…………….

Those my two cents.
Z8 AT at the introductory price was definitely the most VFM model, however with recent price increase M&M has decreased the price gap between Z8 and Z8L and now the price difference seems reasonable. There are people who like to keep the car as stock, for them Z8L makes sense. In comparison, I feel Mahindra provides lot more features in Luxury models of XUV 700 compared to non-Luxury ones for the same price difference!
Rahkehs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 21:09   #2413
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Please do let me know when you do. I have a Z8L AT 4WD in tow (no idea when it will be allotted) and I really need a 360 camera.
I plan to use the stock front and rear but will have L-R cameras installed with an independent small monitor

I really need to know where my front wheels are in "side pe dabao" situations
Old 16th April 2023, 10:14   #2414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyengineer View Post
Just wanted to understand how many folks still have the initial euphoria alive.

To summarize, I think that the market does not have any competition to the combination of features and 4x4 etc, that the Scorpio-N does and more importantly at the price point that it does. Although, I agree with you that Mahindra is an expert in delaying deliveries and burning away all the excitement of the customer. Getting your shining new SUV a couple of months from release is another dream altogether.

I had waited 1 year for the XUV 700, but when it did come (after 8 months of wait) I was so demoralised by then (by the influx of XUV 700's on the road), that I dropped it altogether. I wanted a 4x4 anyway, so here I am now, awaiting my Z8 4x4 AT in May or June or whatever Mahindra plans ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Do you know of any good 360 degree camera that is compatible with the Z8 HU display? I have seen a few YouTubers fit 360 cameras in Z4 from Karol Bagh. But Z4 HU software is different. Also, the after-market 360 cameras (from what I've seen on YT) are not compatible with the switches provided below HU. Mostly people are relying on external remote switches (like a TV remote but smaller) to switch displays in 360 view.
I have been using HyperSonic's android HU in my Honda Amaze along with their 360 degree cameras. The camera quality is very good. However, when you experience the likes of DHC, everything gets a couple of notches better.

But since we love our upcoming (or existing for those who have it already) Scorpio N, we wouldn't like to mess with it and thus we wonder how the 360 degree camera experience can be had without messing around. Well let's break it down:

* In short, speaking about the utility of the 360 degree camera, the most common as well as useful ways that you would use the system would be when you:

(a) use the left indicator and thus the left ORVM will show where the front left tyre exactly is.
(b) similarly for whenever you use the right indicator
(c) use the hazard lights / blinkers and you would get a split screen of the left and right (impressively amazing and used when you are passing between two tight poles in a "gali" for example)
(d) when using the reverse gear (the reverse camera view is engaged)

So now my point is that the above mentioned four use cases will satisfy the 95% of cases wherein you would be able to maneuver your Scorpio N in tight spaces, tight parkings, hill roads, weird hilly side paths which are at a heavy incline etc etc. It is also important to note here that these main use cases can be done perfectly without messing with your Scorpio-N "coupler to coupler", so to speak. And also, important to note is that it is very fast to use (indicators, blinkers, reverse gear etc) without any remote or other nonsense which would be impossible in these cases where we dont have time to mess with remotes etc.

The rest of the 5% use cases are literally just the rare occasions where you would want to touch the screen and drag around and see your car that way. I understand that this is what a 360 truly is, but my point is that this is rarely used (after the initial excitement dies out) that even if a remote is to be used for this, I wouldn't mind it too much. Why? Because I have the satisfaction that I would atleast have the comfort of the 360 cameras to ensure that a car of this size is not grazed or scratched which maneuvering around.

Finally, well, I have seen on video (namely Kaushik uncle - Kaushik Vlogs) wherein he has installed a 360 and he plans to use one of the dummy buttons to use the 360 interface. It is not in a finished state yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallubhai View Post
Please update us in detail when you install it.

I have 3 questions - Will it void warranty? Is it compatible with Z8 display unit? Are you going to install front sensors too?
I have asked the dealership, they say that it will not void warranty. All the connections for the left and right indicator, reverse gear etc are coupler to coupler.

Sight is a much stronger sense than our ears! Front sensors are not needed once you have a 360 degree installed. You will see exactly how much distance is left between the car and an obstacle from a top down view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Please do let me know when you do. I have a Z8L AT 4WD in tow (no idea when it will be allotted) and I really need a 360 camera.
I plan to use the stock front and rear but will have L-R cameras installed with an independent small monitor

I really need to know where my front wheels are in "side pe dabao" situations
I will surely share a detailed review of when I do set it up. But first comes the question of delivery . Where are the Z8s? The inability to track the booking, I would say, adds to the discomfort and unease.
Incinerated is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 08:09   #2415
BHPian

The fact the Mahindra has so quickly modified the boot space to flatten it, suggests that the initial lot of Scorpio's were delivered in an unfinished design state. The boot of the old Scorpio N is practically unusable even after folding the rear seat due to the bump in between.

Having spent that much extra for a Z8L over a Z8, it does feel like the least Mahindra could do is offer a retrofit of that boot tray and cover. It's not available as an accessory and for those who got the Z8L only to avoid installing after-market kits, it would be comforting if the ASCs did a proper installation of the genuine kit. Is there a way to get the message across to Mahindra? Time for a Twitter campaign?
slylenser is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks