Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2022, 10:52   #1801
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post
SCORPIO-N 2000 KM UPDATE
- The car has low ground clearance. Now Mahindra has always been smart to reduce ground clearance on paper to avoid taxes but still the actual experience was nice. In the XUV 500 they lowered the sump guard to evade taxes and reduce cost. On paper when I read the ground clearance is 187mm I thought its again one of those tricks, but the car scraps on patches my XUV would have glided on when taking the obstacle straight on. This is a worry.
The centre arm which holds the suspension mounting marked in the picture below is pretty low, limiting the vehicles break over angle. It is bound to get scratched and chipped during mild off roading. Adding on to this the departure angle and DEF tank placement is also a scare. My spare tyre has been hitting obstacles all the time and a hit to the DEF tank can make the car stranded in difficult places. Hence I crawl really slowly on big bumps where the break over angle or departure angle is considered. Here I am not talking about hardcore off roading but mild off roading done when you take a dirt road with some craters or rocks.
This is shocking to me. I expected just like official figure of 180 mm of old Scorpio actual will be close to 220 mm. This just makes the 4X4 capability very limiting. It is similar to Force Gurkha having very low control arms and one of very few good automotive Youtuber DCV highlighted it in multiple videos. I am seriously in doubt whether to go ahead with my booking considering the only reason to buy was I don't want to be bothered about scraping underbody of the vehicle on routes like Baatal.
Bluebird_7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 11:32   #1802
BHPian

Thanks to the moderators for accepting my membership request. I had posted a small comment earlier here but it has't appeared yet. Otherwise, this is my first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
The door opening lever will be black plasticy thing anyway.
Dear RijuC, the door knob of Z4 will be body colored at least from the presentation video that is available in Youtube.

I also have a Z4 MT P booking in silver. My decision was purely driven by functionality factors. 70% of my driving will be in the mountains. IMHO Z4 is the best VFM variant in this regard. Just day before yesterday, I was listing out the extra bits I am getting for the extra 1.5 lakhs over Z2. The list is quite long

(1) Grab handle, (2) Footstep (non-anodised), (3) Functional roof rail/ski rack (black color though) (4) Cruise control, (5) Rear wiper washer demister, (6) Rear spoiler, (7) Android/Apple carplay, (8) Second row AC module, (9) Anti-pinch window(driver)+electric adjust ORVM, (10) Seat high adjust+lumbar support, (11) Cooled glovebox and charcoal filter, (12) Wheel cover from factory, (13) Silver front grill.

Hoping Mahindra won't axe any important features. This is a really good deal considering the 200 bhp engine. As someone has mentioned in this thread, Mahindra is eating up some market share of C2 segment also. I was earlier considering Maruti GV (even booked). But once my price protection was confirmed, I eat drink sleep thinking about my Scorpio N. Mine is scheduled between 11 Dec - 10 Jan.
NT_GT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 11:54   #1803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
I agree with you that the specs don't boast a lot for the ScorpioN. However, I like what I see in the Autocar video:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Idp3pQsJE-8

With the Scorpio, you get a mix of both - a good comfortable luxurious (kind of) BoF vehicle, and also a capable offroader. Is it the best offroader - it is not. Most of the folks who are interested in the car, are looking at a spacious SUV, that can be used for the occasional fun and probably get them out of tricky situations. And at a price that is far lesser than the Toyota. Just my thoughts
I agree. Exactly the use case for scorpio in my mind. Go anywhere vehicle which can get you out of tricky situations if it comes up. Mahindra has got Thar in their protfolio as one of the most capable offroader around for some heavy duty offroading/tough terrains.
Old 14th October 2022, 12:34   #1804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
I just completed 700Kms and a strange issue since yesterday.

The distance to empty is now showing 999Kms and the fuel gauge is showing more quantity.

Though these are anyone's wishes, I know that both these metrics were low on the night before.

I am making a note of this for my 1st service (targeting next week) but any insights on what could be the reason? Or is it just a faulty sensor or a wrong position of the sensor?

Mine is Z8L D AT 4WD.
Sir, seems like fuel fairies visited your vehicle last night.
AtulC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 12:39   #1805

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Just came across this video on YouTube from one of the owner…

https://Youtu.be/fY92ZQm3H9U

He has bashed Arun Panwar on his video mentioning those 14-15 points which was posted on this thread few days back and many have commented on it. This customer has nicely explained each and every point mentioned by Arun Panwar.
Thank you so much for posting this video. In the race to be grab views and likes,specific Youtube automobile experts have ruined many a prospective buyers mind.Responsibility separates a noob from a professional. Alas the craze of being an influencer.
Old 14th October 2022, 14:39   #1806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralto View Post
What is disappointing, (though not fully unexpected) is how poorly some off-road creds of Scorpio-N are such as breakover, approach, and departure angles. I have been waiting for Scorpio-N and just sitting on the fences to proceed with the booking, but this makes me slightly worried.

TBHPian and popular Youtuber Anshuman has also highlighted a few of these things on his Instagram handle. Having a good 4x4 hindered by poor angles is no better than pseudo SUVs with good ground clearance I feel.
I cannot believe Mahindra chose to completely ignore some basic things while making a proper 4x4 SUV.

The engine/gearbox calibration, the traction control + MLD + terrain modes calibration is excellent. Mahindra has done excellent job with the suspension with longer travel up front, alloy linkages, FSD damping (although both the damping rates are too soft, still nice) and all.

But they completely chose to ignore/ did a poor job with the ground clearance, underbody protection, choice of odd tyre size (stock tyres rub, no space for snow chains, linkages running very close to wheel), space in wheel wells, front bumper design(after all those Thar Radiator placement issues owners have been crying about, thankfully I do have Arka plates), rear departure angle especially placement of DEF tank couldn't have been worse.

It's like multiple different teams working out of sync. Same for the front 2/3rd (both outside & inside) of the car is well thought out and well designed, rear 1/3rd part is designed as if they were running out of time or some other less competent team was given the job.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-1.jpg
Rear stock tyres rub inside the wheel well. Multiple other places where snow chains would foul. Linkages to wheel distance is in mm at places.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-2.jpg
That's the entire first aid kit. A better quality band aid would have worked better, this is just to comply with legal norms, human lives don't matter in our country.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-3.jpg
On the underbody only good things are nicely designed footsteps, that wont get damaged and are still useful and the flat underbody. GC is low, all angles scream that and in real life its worse. Underbody protection? What's that? DEF tank placement is as bad and low as it can be.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-4.jpg
No snowchains please. HT tyre won't grip anyways. Not a single choice in all terrain tyres available in this size, forget good quality AT tyres. 265/60/18 is next common size, you have have to change rims(negative offset types), both tyres and rims change will void warranty.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-5.jpg
Day 1, coolant leaked and car started to overheat.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-6.jpg
Went on a flatbed.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-7.jpg
With our benchmark SUV's Endeavour has always been prone to get stuck due to GC issues, mostly ramp breakover. Look how low the Scorpio bumper is in comparison.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-8.jpg
Scorpio N performs well offroad but has to be precision driven under close supervision else keep a flatbed on standby ready.

In the end, would I recommend Scorpio N for Offroad use?
Yes, if you looking for a touring 4x4 SUV kind of use (minus the snow use).

Would I recommend Scorpio N for slightly more serious/recreational offroad/ touring use where you love to explore?
No.

If you are planning to buy a 2wd, get an XUV-700, it's way better.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th October 2022 at 08:42. Reason: Typos
.anshuman is offline   (115) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 15:14   #1807
BHPian

Has anyone upgraded the tyres to 265/60R18 or 265/65R17 and do they scrap on the sides? What is the PCD and width of stock 18" rims?
Harshavarthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 16:16   #1808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Just by seeing the bottom part of the vehicle one can understand why these doubts came in my mind.
Seconded! I took a test drive in the city so did not experience any issues per se, but that low hanging bumpers, especially the rear, can easily paint a very good picture of the outcomes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
However, I like what I see in the Autocar video:
There is no doubt, that Scorpio-N seems to be a great tourer, but the qualms I have is it seems that some of the capabilities will barely be useful due to these shortcomings.

As for the video, I have no explanation, my comments are just based on the data and limited observations I made. For my use case and the terrains that I usually drive on, ground clearance and approach/departure matter a lot, so this puts me in a difficult spot to take a plunge. Other than that, there is no equivalent product in the market I would say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

But they complete chose to ignore/ did poor job with the ground clearance, underbody protection, choice of odd tyre size(stock tyres rub, no space for snow chains, linkages running very close to wheel), space in wheel wells, front bumper design(after all those Thar Radiator placement issues owners have been crying about, thankfully I do have Arka plates), rear departure angle especially placement of DEF tank couldn't have been worse.
And that is where it creates a problem, at least for some use cases. On top of that, not being able to use snow chains is not going to cut it. I mean such a good product on paper, a solid BOF 4x4, and then these issues just don't make sense. Do you think there will be a way around possible for some of these issues? Like changing tire sizes for accommodating snow chains, although that may further reduce ground clearance? Or raising the height by any less-offensive method to improve clearance?
ralto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 20:19   #1809
BHPian

Quote:
I cannot believe Mahindra chose to complete ignore some basic things while making a proper 4x4 SUV.

No snowchains pls. HT tyre won't grip anyways. Not a single choice in all terrain tyres available in this size, forget good quality AT tyres. 265/60/18 is next common size, you have have to change rims(negative offset types), both tyres and rims change will void warranty.
I went to Withyou Hamesha website and read the manual of the Scorpio-N. It possibly specifies snow chains cannot be used with the specified tires being AS.

Out of curiosity, I opened the manual for S10 Classic and searched for snow chains and it also says the same thing in the Classic's manual. Snow chains cannot be used with these tires. if you see the Mahindra Winter Expedition videos these old Classic Scorpios were having snow chains on them but may be the tires were AT. So this statement could be applicable for the set of tires given with the vehicle and not for the vehicle itself.
Attached Images

rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 21:02   #1810
BHPian

Regarding the Snow chain issue, Thar base model is compatible with snow chain as mentioned on the website but the top end is not. The same is mentioned in the manual. I agree, in fact I pointed the same points, with fellow bhpians about the car not being designed for hardcore off road usage because of components placement and low ground clearance but snow chain application is not recommended even on the thar.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-20221014-8.51.44-pm.png

I have used snow chains on my xuv 500 at jalori pass without any issues, even though the manual said otherwise. The main thing is to be careful not to snap the break line and damage any parts while attaching the snow-chain.

One more curious thing is that the apterra ht2 in the scorpio n 17 inch size is rated for snow as the sidewall mentions it.
kushgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 23:59   #1811
BHPian

Don’t think these would pose any issue to any tires or vehicles. Various options are available in such tire chains.
Attached Images

rahulya007 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 14:30   #1812
BHPian

Quote:
In the end, would I recommend Scorpio N for Offroad use?
Yes, if you looking for a touring 4x4 SUV kind of use(minus the snow use).
Thanks for sharing this vital information Anshuman.

I have a booking for Z4 AWD and was going to replace my Duster AWD with it. The benefits I was counting on was 7 seater vehicle that can do trips to places like Winter Spiti, Ladakh etc. (with four persons.) plus some short-distance trips (having four adults and 2/3 kids) with friends and families. With the important point now coming out that snow chains can't be used, I am now in serious doubt. Can you please confirm if this is true for R17 and R18 wheel size both or just R18 given that MT models come with R17 wheel size only?

If it can't do snow with chains, I would then retain my Duster AWD and cancel this booking.

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th October 2022 at 21:39. Reason: spell and grammar.
rahulba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 15:07   #1813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulba View Post
If it can't do snow with chains, I would then retain my Duster AWD and cancel this booking.
There is an easy and quick fix for snow chains issue, use wheel spacers for snow drives and remove them once you are back in plains. Negative offset rims would also work but Mahindra new products I wouldn't risk warranty with negative offset rims.

And its not just the owners manual, I have also checked where all the chains would foul in wheel well.

Duster vs Scorpio N, I d pick Scorpio N for such usage.

With chains I am talking about good quality imported chains we use, these plastic contraptions are for reel life not for real life. Many cars dont take chains in front wheel wells, its alright till the car has space on rear wheel wells where I recommend chains first.
.anshuman is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 16:06   #1814
BHPian

Just going off the topic

Everything about Mahindra or Tata looks good on the outside. The mechanical bits are still unsorted. Going by @. anshuman post. It feels as if the products are 90% sorted only the last 10% refinement is left for the next update. This is where a lot of customers are treated as beta testers. Tyres rubbing on the inside walls would have been detected in the test mules yet... they went ahead with the production. And then you come up with big daddy and what not.

Such instances reinforce the image of Toyota Fortuner as a well-engineered product (Which it is, along with its DPF and other niggles). But when it is put to an offroad test it performs. The other day one of my mechanic friend was stating approx. 80K parts bill for a gen 1 Harrier all it included was front shocks, stabilizer links, caliper pins and lower arms.

Costly repair bills won't be surprising for the new vehicles like Scorpio N and Xuv.
Keneida is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 17:53   #1815

Quote:

With chains I am talking about good quality imported chains we use, these plastic contraptions are for reel life not for real life. Many cars dont take chains in front wheel wells, its alright till the car has space on rear wheel wells where I recommend chains first.
I've tried the plastic straps on my Tata Nexon earlier this year, but they broke off in just a few spins of the wheel. On the other hand, have been seeing some good reviews for "Snow Socks", such as the one here. Will be ordering a pair from Canada next month, and will post a review towards the end of the year when I field-test them on my Scorpio-N.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-b3a2.jpeg  

zenmaster666 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks