Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2022, 12:37   #1141
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Just a side bar, happen to see the pricing of new hyundai tuscon. Top end is almost 43 lacs OTR. Somehow Scorpio N is looking even better for its price point and what it offers!!
Old 12th August 2022, 13:22   #1142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
ScorpioN does come with so called 'Auto hold'.

BTW It is called hill hold, which is available Z4 AT / Z6 MT onwards in ScorpioN. Kindly refer to the brochure.

Auto hold is not the same as hill hold. One stops the car from rolling backward on hills, the other lets you take your foot off the brake pedal after coming to a stop in drive and still have the brakes applied.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 14:10   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Auto hold is not the same as hill hold. One stops the car from rolling backward on hills, the other lets you take your foot off the brake pedal after coming to a stop in drive and still have the brakes applied.
Yes, I got that already. It is a better feature than hill hold surely. But hill hold solves the purpose. 2 secs is good enough for a safe manoeuvre in all conditions. People are still managing without either of these.
Indepth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 14:33   #1144
BHPian

Here are some interesting efficiency test figures provided on youtube. No methodology is described to reach at these figures, but with Indian mindset of "kitna deti hai" it looks better than expected.
Still it seems, these may be managed figures, real life efficiency may not be that good.

Link

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_2022081214281264_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
Old 12th August 2022, 15:12   #1145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
Just a side bar, happen to see the pricing of new hyundai tuscon. Top end is almost 43 lacs OTR. Somehow Scorpio N is looking even better for its price point and what it offers!!
Same here, I was eagerly waiting for Hyundai to release the prices. Looks like they missed an opportunity here, it should have inter-lapped with the Creta. See how the Venue inter-laps with the Creta

If they think its in a different league all together and think that they know how the market will react, then I suggest they officially declare a target per month on vehicles to be sold and then meet that target. The Tuscon has been an awesome package always and has been on sale for more than 25 years I guess in India. In its first generation here it went up against the CR-V that was extremely good looking and came up trumps helped by its Diesel engine. If money is not of essence, then the Tuscon is all the car you would ever need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Anyways, Silver will be good to have after the monochrome shades. I am anyways going to get PPF done immediately post delivery so shine loss won't be an issue. Also, eyes will have some different shade to look at.
Even I had booked Silver in the first place, then had a change of heart and have black as the colour of choice now. From what I know, PPF is for dark colours and ceramic coating is for light colours. I think silver will shine only if you go for ceramic coating, the PPF will protect but will not give you the shine [will be happy to stand corrected]

Once upon a time silver was the largest selling colour for Mercedes Benz. Read somewhere long time back that worldwide, Silver was the number one colour sold. Things have changed since then I guess, would be interesting to know which is the largest selling colour worldwide

Read somewhere that white colour makes objects look bigger than they are and black colour makes objects look smaller than they are, some kind of optical illusion it seems. For an already large vehicle, I thought silver that is close to white would make it look ungainly and also, chrome would not show up that well on silver as it would on black, hence changed to black. Silver for one would age very well and be low on maintenance, but I would love to keep a black vehicle looking the way it should look with my own labour and looking forward to that experience and time going to be spent keeping black the way it is. Also I think the ScorpioN is begging for some bling, tasteful stuff that when posted here a majority would approve

Last edited by Aditya : 12th August 2022 at 16:10. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 12th August 2022, 15:28   #1146
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I got that already. It is a better feature than hill hold surely. But hill hold solves the purpose. 2 secs is good enough for a safe manoeuvre in all conditions. People are still managing without either of these.
As per my driving experience, hill hold function is not at all required for a reasonably good driver as driver can use handbrake and start from neutral on an incline. He is in full control while this situation arises.This function is not at all required for me.

But auto hold is a very much convenient feature. Some of the time at signals, I remove my leg from brake padel and the vehicle roll on its own and create unnecessary embarrassing situation for me , specially in a stop go situation in traffic.

I shall definitely miss auto hold, but won't bother about hill hold.
Arinmech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 17:26   #1147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster.ram View Post
Here are some interesting efficiency test figures provided on Youtube. No methodology is described to reach at these figures, but with Indian mindset of "kitna deti hai" it looks better than expected.
Still it seems, these may be managed figures, real life efficiency may not be that good.
I would not go with these you tubers. I have thar petrol and it gives me 8 to 9.5 kind of FE. Cannot expect scorpion to be better than Thar in terms of FE.
alokk0912 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 17:30   #1148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krinpit View Post
This begs another question. What is being offered for the Z8 variant? I could not find any details on the specifications sheet? Is there any stock audio system provided or none at all ?
Z8 gets a 6 speaker system. 4 midbass at each door and 2 tweeters up front.
nerd1200 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 17:41   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Even I had booked Silver in the first place, then had a change of heart and have black as the colour of choice now. From what I know, PPF is for dark colours and ceramic coating is for light colours. I think silver will shine only if you go for ceramic coating, the PPF will protect but will not give you the shine [will be happy to stand corrected]
Ceramic and PPF are the 2 most popular methods to protect the factory paint when done from a knowledgeable detailer. Ceramic is recommended when the car usage is limited to city and weekend drives and PPF is recommended when there are more of highway drives or long distance drives etc. reason being, highways are more prone to chipping due to shooting stones from vehicle tires which can be better protected by PPF than Ceramic coating.

PPF becomes the most protective layer one can apply to a car and has equal gloss. It generally comes with warranties of 5-7 yrs for a good brand and 185-190 microns. These films retain their shine for those many years and hence the look remains as good as new. have seen some cars with PPF on Silver looking very nice..

At times, some detailers do 2-3 coats of ceramic and then do PPF for more better results. For PPF application also, paint correction is required even for a new car for better outcome.
rahulya007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 19:20   #1150
BHPian

Just saw the official unveiling of the scorpio classic.

The new grey colour they added looks really really nice to me. Reminds me of the honda city grey that my father currently drives.
One thing that shocked me was the aftermarket looking infotainment screen mahindra went for.

The screen size Of the ICE is 9 inches. That’s more than the 8 inch display on the scorpio N.

Now I understand the scorpio n has a custom software and a much more advanced display. But still it looks smaller due to the huge bezels around. And now seeing the classic with a bigger screen with almost no bezels makes me wonder how is the internal decision making in Mahindra done.

Also the classic still gets hydraulic struts for the bonnet which is a big omission in both the N and the XUV700.

Last edited by kushgandhi : 12th August 2022 at 19:28. Reason: Adding info.
Old 12th August 2022, 19:22   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster.ram View Post
Here are some interesting efficiency test figures provided on Youtube. No methodology is described to reach at these figures, but with Indian mindset of "kitna deti hai" it looks better than expected.
This video is complete BS.

From my Test drives, these are the actual mileage figures:

Petrol AT: 6kmpl
Petrol manual: 7.1 kmpl
Diesel manual: 8.5 kmpl

While the petrol TDs were fairly long with a light foot and off peak traffic, the diesel TD was over bad roads and slow moving inner city traffic. All the cars were fairly new with less than 1,000km on the odo. These figures will go up maybe by 10% after the first service.

Last edited by naru80 : 12th August 2022 at 19:30.
naru80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 20:08   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation mate.

Yes, auto hold is clearly a boon to have, but I think this feature is rarely seen in most cars. XUV has this alright, but I know of no other cars under 25 to have this.
Auto hold is also available in Safari, top model. But I found it quite intriguing during test drive. May be I was new to the feature and did not understand how to use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Same here, I was eagerly waiting for Hyundai to release the prices. Looks like they missed an opportunity here, it should have inter-lapped with the Creta. See how the Venue inter-laps with the Creta
With 8 speed auto, bigger engine, it would never have come close to Creta. It is a better product than the Creta segment and they rightly priced it IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
This video is complete BS.
I also mentioned this while sharing but with better gearbox tuning it maybe having better FE.

Some of the XUV700 owners have shown such FE figures on youtube, still with correction due to RWD/excess weight it may be corrected accordingly.
Old 12th August 2022, 20:13   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post
As per my driving experience, hill hold function is not at all required for a reasonably good driver as driver can use handbrake and start from neutral on an incline.
It has been exactly other way around for me. I never felt need for auto hold, since I put my DSG in P, even on traffic signals. The notorious DSG failure is always on my mind probably, so I give the gearbox as much rest as possible.
Anyway one has to put into N at least, so might as well put in P.

However, hill hold has been so helpful that now I am least worried even climbing up basement parkings. Hill hold kicks in, even on slightest of inclinations.
Indepth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 20:51   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
The notorious DSG failure is always on my mind probably, so I give the gearbox as much rest as possible.
Anyway one has to put into N at least, so might as well put in P.
At standstill, if I put the gear lever at N every time, can I ensure there won't be any failure of the DSG (of Skoda/VW)? I have developed the habit to put it into N whenever the car stops at traffic. Did the same in MS AMT, during all recent TD of Creta (CVT), Kushaq (TC), Harrier (TC) and Scorpio N (TC). Then I can think of Skoda/VW 1.5 DSG. I liked this duo very much due to their simple and sober design, though narrower than MS Brezza by 30 mm.
Old 12th August 2022, 21:07   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
At standstill, if I put the gear lever at N every time, can I ensure there won't be any failure of the DSG (of Skoda/VW)? I have developed the habit to put it into N whenever the car stops at traffic.
There is no clear formula for avoiding DSG failures. As per user inputs here and international forums, it is best to put in N or P during long periods of idle.
I usually put in P since that avoids rolling backwards too, so I don't have to keep brake pedal depressed. But I think even putting in N shall enhance the life of mechatronics.

As most expert say, dry clutch DSG will definitely fail one day. 50K or 200K mileage - depends on user/ driving style/ area of usage and luck of course.

Hopefully, the ScorpioN with Torque converter unit shall give me more peace of mind.
Indepth is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks