Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2022, 21:07   #1126
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Is there anyone from Shimla or nearby? Need a confirmation whether TD vehicle is available in that region. Today I called up Kumarhatti dealership, but their response was negative. Otherwise I could try this in the winding sections of Kalka-Shimla highway, though I am not sure whether they will allow the TD knowing I am not booking it from there.
Old 11th August 2022, 22:08   #1127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somas View Post
When i asked the showroom they mentioned that while Z8L gets a twin channel subwoofer and 12 speaker setup, Z8 gets a single subwoofer and 8 speaker setup.
I emailed the customer care today and they mentioned that there will be 6 speakers in Z8 Variant.
Old 11th August 2022, 22:09   #1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Is there anyone from Shimla or nearby?
Test Drive Vehicle is available at Shimla Location it is a 4by4 Auto Z8L Variant.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th August 2022 at 22:26. Reason: Quote trimmed.
sachit0901 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 22:11   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
There is quite some tech that has gone into the 12-13 speaker system , you can read through Sony`s OEM partner page here. Just like the XUV they have created a page for Scorpio N as well.
So much for customization. The link on the Scorpio N page on Sony website talks about XUV700.
Name:  Screenshot 20220810 191737.png
Views: 1057
Size:  3.8 KB

Last edited by aah78 : 11th August 2022 at 22:27. Reason: Quote trimmed, image inserted in-line.
Old 11th August 2022, 23:04   #1130
BHPian

These are the major shortcomings / missed features in Scorpio-N according to my analysis and use case:

1. Lack of Auto Hold and EPB - (Electronic Parking Brake)
The AX7L variant of XUV 700 had both of these and it was a great feature to have.
This youtuber has highlighted very accurately, the benefits of primarily, Auto Hold and also that of EPB, in this video: (watch between 12:36 to 17:15)

2. Lack of a 360 degree camera.
I will really miss the 360 degree camera which comes in the AX7L variant of XUV 700. Mahindra should have included this in the Scorpio-N. This is a huge vehicle and a 360 degree camera is indispensable in hilly areas, tight corners, narrow roads and while parking. It is worthwhile to realize that this vehicle is even wider than a Fortuner. It would be difficult to maneuver in the tight situations, especially without someone guiding you from outside.

One good example of such situations could be the tight roads of McLeodganj / Dharamshala and another one would be the famous Gata Loops on the way to Ladakh (during the rush hour, one can be forced in a situation wherein it would be necessary to know where your left wheel is, because in some parts of that road, the wheel is very close to the edge of the cliff).

I am definitely going to get the *best* 360 degree cameras installed in the common four locations - front, back, left and right ORVMs from Karol Bagh. In fact, I have already consulted one such person regarding it. Without changing the in-built head unit as well, one would need to rely on a remote control + small infrared receiver to operate the 360 degree camera so installed.

One another consideration is that since the existing, vanilla head unit in the Scorpio-N is so small, has huge bezels and is otherwise non-appealing, another option could be changing the head unit as well and replacing it with an aftermarket head unit which supports 360 degree camera usage via touch. This would be an intrusive process, especially for a new, expensive car, but seems otherwise like the only option, if such a 360 degree camera experience is desired. Mahindra does not seem to have any plans to have an option to add a 360 working system as an accessory. I would like to know the community's opinions about this!

3. Lack of 12V DC sockets
There is only one 12V DC socket, and that too at the rear most end of the car.

I will definitely going to have to get a 12 V socket (or two) installed from Karol Bagh in my Scorpio-N.

There are other niggles and imperfections like the inability of the third row to be split into a 60:40 orientation, or the inability to slide the second row to accommodate more space to the 3rd row, or the lack of boot space while all rows are up, or the non-flat nature of the available boot space while the 3rd row is folded up etc etc. But for me, these things can still be lived with / worked around.
Incinerated is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 23:39   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram78 View Post
Can someone please post pics.of the ScorpioN in 'Grand Canyon' and Silver colours?
Is Grand Canyon similar to the orangish color of the XUV500?
Even i am wanting to see the Dazzling Silver color. Was told by SA that it would be same as that on the XUV700. Fine. What about Grand Canyon ?

Just got 2-3 days now to finalise the color. Will Dazzling Silver look good on Scorpio ? I feel there will be too many white and black ones on the road post 26 Sept. So why not try the Silver one ?

Suggestions pls…
Old 12th August 2022, 00:53   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incinerated View Post
1. Lack of Auto Hold and EPB - (Electronic Parking Brake)
The AX7L variant of XUV 700 had both of these
ScorpioN does come with so called 'Auto hold'.

BTW It is called hill hold, which is available Z4 AT / Z6 MT onwards in ScorpioN. Kindly refer to the brochure.
Indepth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 01:10   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
3. Lack of 12V DC sockets
There is only one 12V DC socket, and that too at the rear most end of the car.

I will definitely going to have to get a 12 V socket (or two) installed from Karol Bagh in my Scorpio-N.

There are other niggles and imperfections like the inability of the third row to be split into a 60:40 orientation.
The omission of 12 VDC socket in the front is really bothersome. Also, the rear 12 VDC socket is rared 120 watt/ 10 Amp. The tyre inflator need to be of relatively higher capacity to fill the bigger sized tyres. Fuse ratings and cable shall be selected accordingly.

What would be the utility of splitting the 3rd row 2 seater into 60:40 proportion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Even i am wanting to see the Dazzling Silver color. Was told by SA that it would be same as that on the XUV700. Fine. What about Grand Canyon ?...

Suggestions pls…
For Rahulya007, my opinion for the colour Silver- sober look, easy to maintain, looks dull when shine goes off, moderate demand, possible delivery delay.

Grand canyon- Almost same persona like deep forest, earthy, close to nature. Rear tail lamps do not stand out. Shine is difficult to maintain. Less demand for this paint shade-> less production-> delay in delivery.

My choice will be Silver over Grand canyon.

Last edited by RijuC : 12th August 2022 at 01:33.
RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 03:40   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
ScorpioN does come with so called 'Auto hold'.

BTW It is called hill hold, which is available Z4 AT / Z6 MT onwards in ScorpioN. Kindly refer to the brochure.
Those are two completely different features and concepts, allow me to differentiate:

Hill Hold Assist or Hill Start Assist is a feature wherein the vehicle gives the driver 1-2 seconds to accelerate before the vehicle starts going backwards due to gravity, while being on an incline.

Auto hold is a immensely useful feature, wherein once enabled, the vehicle will "hold" itself in place, i.e. the car will not go backwards, as it basically engages the EPB (electronic handbrake) for you, automatically, without any user input.

To understand this better, one could imagine a situation of car on a steep incline, on a narrow, busy and crowded road with cars stuck in back to back traffic. Now while hill hold assist or hill start assist might do the job of preventing the car from going backwards due to gravity for about 2 seconds, you would still have to keep the brakes pressed at all times OR apply the handbrake manually, everytime. Now imagine doing this everytime the traffic inches up a steep incline in back to back traffic, as mentioned previously. In stark contrast, with a car equipped with auto hold and automatic transmission, believe it or not, it is just as stupidly simple as pressing the accelerator to reach upto the car in front of you and release the accelerator. The vehicle will lock itself into place and do everything for you. Absolute peace of mind and bliss!

Quote:
What would be the utility of splitting the 3rd row 2 seater into 60:40 proportion?
Apologies, I meant a 50:50 split for the third row, for that additional bit of flexibility.
Incinerated is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 09:03   #1135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. In stark contrast, with a car equipped with auto hold and automatic transmission, believe it or not, it is just as stupidly simple as pressing the accelerator to reach upto the car in front of you and release the accelerator. The vehicle will lock itself into place and do everything for you. Absolute peace of mind and bliss!
As far as I have experienced with a few vehicles that have this feature - The vehicle needs to know that you intent to stay in place, so unless a brake pedal input is detected, AVH / Auto hold /EPB , none of them will apply.

If you have a vehicle with Auto hold / EPB, please go through the owners manual carefully.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 09:24   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Even i am wanting to see the Dazzling Silver color. Was told by SA that it would be same as that on the XUV700. Fine. What about Grand Canyon ?

Just got 2-3 days now to finalise the color. Will Dazzling Silver look good on Scorpio ? I feel there will be too many white and black ones on the road post 26 Sept. So why not try the Silver one ?

Suggestions pls…
I've finalising Silver too.
I have a silver XUV500 and 9.5 years later, the colour looks as good as new. In a dusty place like Gurgaon, a lighter colour is easier to keep clean. White belongs to property brokers, politicians and taxis. I don't like the Gold, so silver it is.
slylenser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 09:30   #1137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I have experienced with a few vehicles that have this feature - The vehicle needs to know that you intent to stay in place, so unless a brake pedal input is detected, AVH / Auto hold /EPB , none of them will apply.
Very true.

At least in my 3 Series, you need to press the brake for Auto Hold to take effect. Else the car keeps inching forward in creep mode.

This holds good even in steep inclines, as the engine RPMs automatically increase to ensure the creep function.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 10:08   #1138
BHPian

Quote:

If you have a vehicle with Auto hold / EPB, please go through the owners manual carefully.
Apologies, I stand corrected on this part. Yes, it is necessary to apply the brakes and more specifically bring the car to a halt, perhaps, and then the auto hold will hold the car in place.

But still, even this will mean that the comfort level with the auto hold feature will be insanely better than having to:
(a) Either hold the brakes down at all times while at standstill
or
(b) Move the gear into P every time (in AT, if im not mistaken)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Very true.

At least in my 3 Series, you need to press the brake for Auto Hold to take effect. Else the car keeps inching forward in creep mode.

This holds good even in steep inclines, as the engine RPMs automatically increase to ensure the creep function.
True, I knew about but forgot about the creep function while thinking about the auto hold function.

Basically, this holds relevance to my time while test driving the XUV700 AX7L variant. I found this feature to be immensely useful and thus, its omission in the Scorpio-N will be dearly missed.
Incinerated is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 10:46   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
For Rahulya007, my opinion for the colour Silver- sober look, easy to maintain, looks dull when shine goes off, moderate demand, possible delivery delay.

My choice will be Silver over Grand canyon.
Thanks Brother. I know maximum colors to be seen will be black and white. As i earlier said, current vehicle is pearl white, so wify is not in much favor of white again. But since Grand Canyon is no where to be seen, finalizing that is a risk, as you need to see the color in person to see how it will look on such a huge car. The one on XUV500 was copper but this seems to be on the Orange side.

Anyways, Silver will be good to have after the monochrome shades. I am anyways going to get PPF done immediately post delivery so shine loss won't be an issue. Also, eyes will have some different shade to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slylenser View Post
I've finalising Silver too.
I have a silver XUV500 and 9.5 years later, the colour looks as good as new. In a dusty place like Gurgaon, a lighter colour is easier to keep clean. White belongs to property brokers, politicians and taxis. I don't like the Gold, so silver it is.
I have someone for company now. I had a Silver Indigo way back in 2007-2011 in Silver color and hence know the merits of the color when it comes to maintenance. Also, on white color, the PPF turning 5% yellow over time will be visible. Dark colors would not have that issue. Silver also should not an issue. still in mixed mode. Silver or White. Will try to visit the showroom on Sunday to see the silver shade once again.

Quote:

I think automatic vehicles do have this feature which is a basic requirement. Vehicle should not go backwards on an incline when you leave the brake pedal. For N, HHC (Hill Hold Control) is available in all versions of Z6 and above and AT versions of Z4.
Old 12th August 2022, 11:11   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Those are two completely different features and concepts, allow me to differentiate:
Thanks for the explanation mate.

Yes, auto hold is clearly a boon to have, but I think this feature is rarely seen in most cars. XUV has this alright, but I know of no other cars under 25 to have this.
Having said that, I think hill hold will solve the purpose for most people. Ofcourse auto hold makes life much easier.

Hill hold will certainly prevent/assist from rolling backwards. I have taken some steep inclines in my Polo GT with hill hold, without any fuss at all.

Also, Imagine few years back most cars had none of these (still many manual guys will be managing themselves).

I wonder if Fortuner or Innova gets auto hold? I never bothered to check these cars out, but I guess not.

ScorpioN is an off-roader, Mahindra has provided the XUV for feature loving. They know they can sell the ScorpioN even without features.

Most Viewed