Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2022, 11:37   #1321
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
If you ask me, you should go for the ScorpioN Z2. ..
However, the million dollar questions are, will the price of the ScorpioN Z2 increase? Will the price of the Classic S also increase? Will Mahindra maintain this 50,000 difference or move the Z2 further upward?

It's a very precarious situation you have got into. May the force be with you.
Thanks Arun. You have described my predicament so eloquently. You are right . The Scorpio N has too much going in its favour and I need to be ready to shell out a few more Bills for a newer and more refined product. I only hope that the prices do not move north and even if they do, they do so within reasonable levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster.ram View Post
Though price increase is eminent. It is better to go with better refreshed product. With kind of improved suspension in N, it is better to go with N instead of Classic. With your age you may consider Automatic variant too, you can consider Z4AT IMHO.
My two cents.
Spot on Ram . The Scorpio N is the more rational choice. Moreover the Torque converter will definitely help my wobbly Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Prices have gone northward, that is without a doubt - you`ve got to be ready to pay more than what you thought you would, that is the reality now. I think you should get back to 4 cyl 2.2L mHawk. Its now cheaper than before.
Thanks Kosfactor . Can I afford to spend so much on the Scorpio N ? Do I really need a vehicle of that size and with such features? It is indeed a battle between the heart and the head
Ganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 12:28   #1322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Please do not take the words of the SA on face value. M&M communicates everything with the dealers - only thing is that the information is guarded by the top management and the SA is only provided information on need to know basis. So if the SA is clueless, then personally go and meet the GM-Sales of the dealership - he must be having all the information/ communication. Better still get the number of the M&M area sales manager (ASM) from the dealer and talk to him.
Point Taken brother. Will check with the GM and ASM as need arises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
The problem I faced was when the actual cost went over the initial estimate. Getting that sorted was a big hassle. If there are no claims then all are good!!
Can you be more elaborate to enlighten us about it ? Are you talking of a claim settlement hassle ? Is it not the dealer's fault if the actual cost went above the estimate ? That could be a pain area for the insurance guys also to convince their top bosses, isn't it ? And this could be a pain for every Insurance company. Anything specific you experienced with Acko ?

In that case, I guess Lombard has been a good name. the Body-Shop manager suggested me to go for ICICI Lombard 6 years back, then i was on Royal Sundaram.

Also, does insurance come based on the Showroom price or the On-road price ? Many insurance companies allow you to increase the IDV. But when it comes to settlement in an unfortunate event of total loss, will the insurance company consider the IDV or the vehicle cost at that point of time ? Few years back, I was told by an executive of Royal Sundaram that company will still pay you the current market price, even if you increase the IDV at an increased premium, why do you want to waste your money paying high premium then ? Not sure, if it hold true even today.

The quote for my variant is quoted as 1.42L by showroom for Zero-Dep, and they have tie-up with HDFC Ergo, TATA AIG, Reliance and Edelweiss. Same HDFC Ergo has shown me a quote for some 90K when i last checked online. Acko was around 82K.
rahulya007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 12:57   #1323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Point Taken brother. Will check with the GM and ASM as need arises.

Can you be more elaborate to enlighten us about it ? Are you talking of a claim settlement hassle ?
It happened with my scorpio. It is an old car so I was ok go to one of their listed garages and not one of the ASC. Initial estimate was 22K and they promptly paid that even before the work was done. However final bill was around 27K and getting the delta meant lot of follow ups. At one point I was about to pay the delta from my own pocket and be done with it. Just don't have any patience left to deal and follow up on such things.

For a new car, I would prefer going to ASC in cashless mode which most of the top ones provide.

Now I have ICICI lombard for all my vehicles and pretty happy with them. Planning to go with them for Scorpio N as well. have not got the quote from them yet.
Old 23rd August 2022, 14:02   #1324
BANNED

Stumbled upon this scary experience with Jeep meridian where the sunroof leaked water into the vehicle during monsoons (within a few days of new purchase). The service center blamed it on a clogged drain channel or something like that.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-review-2.html (Jeep Meridian Limited (O) 4x2 AT | Ownership Review)

https://www.motorbeam.com/more-incid...breaking-down/

For the ScorpioN, most of the detailed TDs and Reviews have been in the monsoons and no reports of water leaking inside so far which is really confidence inspiring. Does anyone know where the drain channels are for the ScorpioN?
Old 23rd August 2022, 15:01   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
Amazing, thanks for confirming this!!! Feeling quite relieved (though I also have read the Fiber door of XUV700 is also pretty strong)
Also, I think very soon we will have an 'unofficial ingenious accessory' that will let you fit the spare wheel on the tailgate. Similar to what we have on the EcoSport, Sumo, Old Safari etc. That would mean the ScorpioN will be 'longer', taller and wider than the D-Segment SUV's
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 15:07   #1326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
Initial estimate was 22K and they promptly paid that even before the work was done. However final bill was around 27K and getting the delta meant lot of follow ups.
This is what i was talking about, even the insurance surveyors might have to knock on multiple doors to get the approval as post initial approvals, if the cost increases then there is lot of scrutiny to check if the customer has done some work which was not part for the original estimate and took an undue advantage of the claim. This is utterly a mistake on the part of the dealer who gave an estimate of 22K and charged you 27K. Ideally dealers give a higher estimate than expected from which the surveyor anyways deducts somethings and then the final cost comes to the expected amount.

I don't think Acko has done any wrong here. Any other insurance provider would have done the same thing for higher bill than estimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Also, I think very soon we will have an 'unofficial ingenious accessory' that will let you fit the spare wheel on the tailgate. Similar to what we have on the EcoSport, Sumo, Old Safari etc. That would mean the ScorpioN will be 'longer', taller and wider than the D-Segment SUV's
Ideally this should not be done as Door Hinges are designed after calibrating the load it will carry on them. For Thar the Hinges will be different, stronger and bigger than that of Scorpio. So available or not, no one should go for such a mod as that would hamper the door hinges big time. The spare wheel of Scorpio will be at least 15-18 Kgs and that additional weight on the body part and Hinges will lead to squeaks in short term and deformation or tear in the longer run. All the vehicles mentioned above had a factory designed Stepney carrier and that makes a huge difference.

Last edited by rahulya007 : 23rd August 2022 at 15:13. Reason: added Quote
rahulya007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 15:39   #1327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
I don't think Acko has done any wrong here. Any other insurance provider would have done the same thing for higher bill than estimate.
Well, my experience has been different with other providers. Anyways, idea was to share my experience. Final call rest with individuals on what they want to go for. I for sure will not go for any new age digital only service providers for my new cars.
alokk0912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 19:40   #1328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
How does a XUV500 (being a monocoque but from an older generation) compare with Scorpio N in terms of ride, handling and suspension? For limited soft off-roading purposes may be once in two months, does it make sense to go for Scorpio N 4WD or a pre-owned XUV500 AWD (thereby saving a few lakhs) ?
Pretty much my conundrum right now!

- My off roading would most likely be more infrequent, and not anywhere near extreme.
- I love the driving characteristics of the XUV500.
- I hear there is a remap that makes the XUV500 nearly at par with the 700 / Scorpio-N atleast in power / torque figures.
- I could just but a 2WD - seen enough videos of 2WD XUVs doing ladakh / Spiti / Sikkim etc
- The money saved could *potentially* go towards some real nice audio, wraps etc.
- The money saved could also buy a used Thar in a year or two for the off-road itch - I think the Thar is the best off-roader out there!

- Avoid the initial issues with a new platform the Scorpio-N comes with.

On the flip side,
- Scorpio N looks amazing
- Light steering makes it a great city vehicle too

Gosh, what do I do! :/
EeshanChatterje is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:59   #1329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeshanChatterje View Post
So I was pretty much in the same boat and still vacillate from time to time even now.

I added Z4PAT in the cart in June and finally changed to Z8D 4WD on July 14. I have always focused on VFM factor in all my automobile purchases so far. As i am keen to travel a lot going forward, this buy is going to be a pure indulgence. So as long as this purchase sits in that bucket, all rational thoughts are blocked out.

On the 4WD thing, i know that i might use it only for 10 Kms for every 1000KM clocked. But the thought of 4WD capability of the vehicle soothes the nerves.

So that's how I justify my buy even though several options open at this price point.
krinpit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 22:03   #1330
BHPian

Quote:
Pretty much my conundrum right now!

- My off roading would most likely be more infrequent, and not anywhere near extreme.
- I love the driving characteristics of the XUV500.
- I hear there is a remap that makes the XUV500 nearly at par with the 700 / Scorpio-N atleast in power / torque figures.
- I could just but a 2WD - seen enough videos of 2WD XUVs doing ladakh / Spiti / Sikkim etc
- The money saved could *potentially* go towards some real nice audio, wraps etc.
- The money saved could also buy a used Thar in a year or two for the off-road itch - I think the Thar is the best off-roader out there!

- Avoid the initial issues with a new platform the Scorpio-N comes with.

On the flip side,
- Scorpio N looks amazing
- Light steering makes it a great city vehicle too

IMHO, only remap cannot achieve the exact power torque characteristics combination. Like in Duster, 85 PS and 110 PS, there is bigger turbocharger and bigger air intake/filter combination. At least I think so. A remap may give additional power on tap, better power delivery. However torque is also a function of gear box I guess.

I shall be happy to get corrected.

Also, if you can have two cars then it is better to have one more comfortable crossover / sedan and then have Thar for off roading. Getting two cars, one mild off roading and one with proper 4x4 may not make sense IMO.

Someone who cannot afford to keep two cars like me due to budget as well as parking spaces in metros, can go for Scorpio N to satisfy even that one occasion of off roading and also experience the practicality that Thar does not offer at all.

Last edited by rooster.ram : 23rd August 2022 at 22:13. Reason: Corrected sentence.
Old 23rd August 2022, 22:05   #1331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krinpit View Post
this buy is going to be a pure indulgence.

On the 4WD thing, i know that i might use it only for 10 Kms for every 1000KM clocked. But the thought of 4WD capability of the vehicle soothes the nerves.

So that's how I justify my buy even though several options open at this price point.
Agree. That's the reason I have a Z8L D AT 4EXPLOR reserved - in the first 25000.

But I really, really don't want the initial issues that a new Mahindra platform almost always has.
Old 24th August 2022, 00:07   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
Stumbled upon this scary experience with Jeep meridian where the sunroof leaked water into the vehicle during monsoons (within a few days of new purchase). The service center blamed it on a clogged drain channel or something like that.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-review-2.html (Jeep Meridian Limited (O) 4x2 AT | Ownership Review)

https://www.motorbeam.com/more-incid...breaking-down/

For the ScorpioN, most of the detailed TDs and Reviews have been in the monsoons and no reports of water leaking inside so far which is really confidence inspiring. Does anyone know where the drain channels are for the ScorpioN?
I went to Noida Mahindra showroom where the display car's sunroof was jammed. At that moment, i decided that i will not get the sunroof one no matter what anyone tells me. I travel a lot to Himachal and can't have a jammed sunroof in heavy rains.
Old 24th August 2022, 06:24   #1333
BANNED

Quote:
Agree. That's the reason I have a Z8L D AT 4EXPLOR reserved - in the first 25000.

But I really, really don't want the initial issues that a new Mahindra platform almost always has.
You have a fair point. Few questions:
  1. What are some good examples of the initial issues with Mahindra new launches (say XUV700 initial deliveries)? Any Team BHP thread for the same or a handy list?
  2. How did Mahindra react to those initial issues with their earlier launches? Were the service centers equipped?
  3. I felt the ScorpioN launch was done at a whole new level this time (never seen before). Which manufacturer would risk a new product getting brutal reviews by giving tons of ScorpioNs to hundreds of reviewers even before bookings opened? Mahindra could do that only because they had extreme confidence in what they have built. I am yet to come across a video with a Scorpio N break down or some other major issue reported.
  4. Almost all new car launches have some nagging issues, does Mahindra have a history of more issues than normal for their new launches?
MetalClank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 07:35   #1334
BHPian

Quote:
You have a fair point. Few questions:
  1. What are some good examples of the initial issues with Mahindra new launches (say XUV700 initial deliveries)? Any Team BHP thread for the same or a handy list?
  2. How did Mahindra react to those initial issues with their earlier launches? Were the service centers equipped?
  3. I felt the ScorpioN launch was done at a whole new level this time (never seen before). Which manufacturer would risk a new product getting brutal reviews by giving tons of ScorpioNs to hundreds of reviewers even before bookings opened? Mahindra could do that only because they had extreme confidence in what they have built. I am yet to come across a video with a Scorpio N break down or some other major issue reported.
  4. Almost all new car launches have some nagging issues, does Mahindra have a history of more issues than normal for their new launches?
With numbers that Mahindra's are selling niggles are bound to happen. Seeing at the reach Mahindra has and the period of testing Scorpio N has gone, it is less likely to have mechanical failure and even less that cannot be rectified. Some electronics sourced from outside in production version may report some issues, but they are there in many others. Like Safairi / Harrier duo still report malfunction of screens even after three years being in market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnsood View Post
I went to Noida Mahindra showroom where the display car's sunroof was jammed. At that moment, i decided that i will not get the sunroof one no matter what anyone tells me. I travel a lot to Himachal and can't have a jammed sunroof in heavy rains.
Yes, sunroofs may have problems sooner or later in any car brand. Recently someone reported it in brand new Meridian. Said that, manufacturers not giving Sunroof as optional is not good. Safari has this as completely optional.
Old 24th August 2022, 08:47   #1335
BANNED

I had a few questions about Sunroofs in general, appreciate if someone can shower their wisdom:

1. How do the sunroofs drain water? I have heard the channels run through the A-pillars into the bonnet area and down onto the floor.

2. How easy is it for someone to open the sunroof from the outside by prying it open? Is the motor really strong to prevent someone from using force to open it. I was hoping there is some kind of a lock which snaps in place once the roof closes.

3. What happens if we force close the sunroof in an event it gets jammed?

4. Do we get aftermarket sunroof covers (mat for example) to add extra protection when parked?
MetalClank is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks