Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2022, 09:55   #1336
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
I had a few questions about Sunroofs in general, appreciate if someone can shower their wisdom:

1. How do the sunroofs drain water? I have heard the channels run through the A-pillars into the bonnet area and down onto the floor.

2. How easy is it for someone to open the sunroof from the outside by prying it open? Is the motor really strong to prevent someone from using force to open it. I was hoping there is some kind of a lock which snaps in place once the roof closes.

3. What happens if we force close the sunroof in an event it gets jammed?

4. Do we get aftermarket sunroof covers (mat for example) to add extra protection when parked?

1. Correct, there are small drain holes in the sunroof frame

2. With that line of thinking, what's stopping someone from prying open your doors or windows If a thief/tow truck operator doesn't mind damaging your car to enter, there isn't really anything you can do to stop them from taking a crowbar to your door or a brick to the window.

3. If it is jammed, then it is already damaged and you need to visit service center anyway. Might as well force it closed and then take it

4. Possibly but they are most likely snake oil. I never bothered with any of these on any of my cars and they were fine.

These small sunroofs have been around for a long time and most engineering challenges are well known and are already been rectified. I doubt you will be facing problems like the sunroofs in the 80s and 90s.
Cresterk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 11:36   #1337
BHPian

Just to update, one of my friend has a WR-V which is now 6 yrs old and he has an open parking under a tree with small leaves. Most of times, his car is covered with those leaves from bonnet, to top to door to window gaskets to windshield gasket and what not. But his sunroof still functions the way it should and there is absolutely no issue of leakage as well.

I think Sunroof motors are well shielded and sturdy enough just like the power window motors which i guess are more exposed to natural elements especially water, majorly in monsoons and throughout the year by the person who washes the car.

There could have been very rare cases of Sunroof getting jammed but in extreme situations. Also, these mechanicals can be cleaned during servicing to keep them in good health.

Also, when it comes to breaking open your car, a thief would always prefer a side window which is significantly thinner than a sunroof and also gives shielding to the thief rather than sleeping on the roof and getting exposed.
Old 24th August 2022, 11:55   #1338
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
There could have been very rare cases of Sunroof getting jammed but in extreme situations. Also, these mechanicals can be cleaned during servicing to keep them in good health.
Great points! The only concern I have is, it appears servicing (not simple cleaning) of Sunroof requires a major effort like removing the pillar padding, removing the entire roof panels etc

Video =>
MetalClank is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 12:57   #1339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
Great points! The only concern I have is, it appears servicing (not simple cleaning) of Sunroof requires a major effort like removing the pillar padding, removing the entire roof panels etc.
I think this is a more better cleaning video...

rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 13:25   #1340
BHPian

Mahindra has officially revealed, The Making of Scorpio N, in its state-of-art Mahindra Chakan facility.

Last edited by Ankur@VNS : 24th August 2022 at 13:27. Reason: Proof reading
Ankur@VNS is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 13:46   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankur@VNS View Post
Mahindra has officially revealed, The Making of Scorpio N, in its state-of-art Mahindra Chakan facility.
Thanks for sharing. It makes me proud to see an Indian manufacturer do well not just in making a good vehicle, but also marketing it well. Mahindra has followed a good approach in releasing timely videos and announcements, that have not let people lose interest in the vehicle. I remember viewing similar videos from the Audis and the BMWs about 6-7 years ago. It is just so good to see this from Mahindra today.

Also noticed that the tyres are MRF Wanderers.

Last edited by acquillew : 24th August 2022 at 14:06.
acquillew is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 14:42   #1342
BHPian

I was inside M&M plant last week. ScorpioN is being produced right now in good numbers and yards around the plants are packed. Interestingly i could find the dispatch yards full of ScorpioN in different colors. I could click some pictures of outer yards from chakan highway on the way to airport. Seems dispatches are very near. Sorry for the low quality pictures.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-1.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-2.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-3.jpg

Thanks
UD
UD17 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 15:23   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
I was inside M&M plant last week. ScorpioN is being produced right now in good numbers and yards around the plants are packed. Interestingly i could find the dispatch yards full of ScorpioN in different colors. I could click some pictures of outer yards from chakan highway on the way to airport. Seems dispatches are very near. Sorry for the low quality pictures.

Thanks
UD
After reading your statements and before seeing your photos, I was about to ask you if you were to see any Silver color ScorpioN in the yard.

Then realized the images are taken from far-off. Desperately waiting to see that color now.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th August 2022 at 14:45. Reason: fotos = photos. Thanks.
rahulya007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 15:48   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankur@VNS View Post
Mahindra has officially revealed, The Making of Scorpio N, in its state-of-art Mahindra Chakan facility. https://Youtu.be/YOBbljr1Xpg
An absolute treasure trove of information about the chassis/structure that would just not be available without a full stripdown of the vehicle. Perfect data for people planning potential mods.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-30.png  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-33.png  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-34.png  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-35.png  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-36.png  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-37.png  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-38.png  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-39.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by ask99 : 24th August 2022 at 15:52.
ask99 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 16:04   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post
An absolute treasure trove of information about the chassis/structure that would just not be available without a full strip down of the vehicle. Perfect data for people planning potential mods.
I would just love to see this with my own eyes. Let me see if I happen to find out some contacts from M&M to allow a group company employee to visit the assembly plant at Chakan. Would be an icing on the cake..!!
Old 24th August 2022, 19:57   #1346
BHPian

Is there any information on the weight of the Scorpio N? The earlier Scorpio was lighter than XUV 700 apparently. XUV 700 kerb weight being 1960 kg - 2040 kg as per Autocar India.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-421676
Old 24th August 2022, 20:57   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB290 View Post
Is there any information on the weight of the Scorpio N? The earlier Scorpio was lighter than XUV 700 apparently. XUV 700 kerb weight being 1960 kg - 2040 kg as per Autocar India.

Read somewhere the Scorpio-N is somewhere around 1900+ Kg and 4x4 is 2100/ 2140 Kg i guess. though not sure on this...
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 21:13   #1348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
I was about to ask you if you were to see any Silver color ScorpioN in the yard.
I confirm that there were cars with dazzling silver colors in the yards around plant.
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 21:30   #1349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB290 View Post

The GVW for 7 seater + 4WD Scorpio N was certified as 2670kg, while the 7 seater + AWD XUV700 was certified as 2471kg, so I'd expect around a 200kg difference for kerb weight too.

So you're getting a >10% heavier vehicle with >10% lesser torque compared to the XUV700.

Last edited by ask99 : 24th August 2022 at 21:32.
ask99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 22:06   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post
The GVW for 7 seater + 4WD Scorpio N was certified as 2670kg, while the 7 seater + AWD XUV700 was certified as 2471kg, so I'd expect around a 200kg difference for kerb weight too.

So you're getting a >10% heavier vehicle with >10% lesser torque compared to the XUV700.
Thanks. If the kerb weight of heaviest XUV is 2040 kg, then that leaves just 431 kg for 7 people. May be someone who has got an XUV can confirm from the RC book. Otherwise weight vs torque comparison is going to cast a shadow on my heart vs mind decision.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks