Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2023, 08:50   #2731
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Hello team members. Got my Red Devil Z4 4x4 yesterday. Coming from 2.2 Dicor safari, the size is okay to me and no issues in tight city traffic. Engine is undoubtedly refined and produces punchy performance. Ride quality is good, but not as comfy as safari. Its a head turner for sure. Few clicks, may not be the best shot. Will click more from here on.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-1.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20230615_083119.jpg  

his-xc-lnc is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 12:38   #2732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey1230 View Post
Also on a different note, has anyone else been facing this peculiar issue where when you get out of the car after turning it off and push the lock switch on the door the MID says “Key in Vehicle” and refuses to lock the vehicle until it is turned off-on again? And yes the key is always in my pocket so clearly it is a glitch.
I hope the update fixes this issue.

Regards,
Shrey
My XUV5OO also states same. The point here is, if the key (or even secondary key) is left inside the vehicle, we cannot lock it from request sensor).

If you want to force lock (when second key is inside), you can do it by pressing the lock button on key.

If you are confident that both keys are not inside the vehicle, then it is a bug.
Old 15th June 2023, 20:45   #2733

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Whoa! Quite a tool kit that is!
Could you share a clearer picture of the items/purposes of those provided by the company?

I do recognise the wheel spanner, tow hook, spanner and screwdriver. What are the rest of the items?

Not about the car care items.
Here are the details mate. Must say Mahindra has done a good job in organizing these tools.

1,2,3 - Jack Handle
4 & 7 - Wheel Nut Spanner
5 - Tow Hook
6 - spanner
8 - Screw Driver
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20230615-8.11.37-pm.jpeg  

somitsme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 21:39   #2734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand-dune96 View Post
..I'm yet to experience something in real space 3D, like audio effects coming only from behind or from an angle.

I do understand that position of the listener is of vital importance. To clarify, I'm always behind the wheel.
A simple funda I go by is - we have 2 ears. Some sounds (like deep bass) are pretty omnidirectional. Thus, 1 subwoofer is plenty if you have good mid-range speakers wide apart left and right.

Don't expect any 'overhead' stuff - Bluetooth etc will only play 2 channels.
Super-interplexing-polating-plating 2 channel sound to 7.1 channels is very 'gaming' headphone-like.

No 'audiophile' will approve/support such a notion.

The only real thing to be hand in a car this big is 'timing control' for your primary position. However, I have learned, it messes it up for the rest of the seating positions in the car when you go for a 'forward' sound as opposed to a 'centred' sound (think, arm-rest position) for everyone else.
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 22:00   #2735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Don't expect any 'overhead' stuff - Bluetooth etc will only play 2 channels.
Super-interplexing-polating-plating 2 channel sound to 7.1 channels is very 'gaming' headphone-like.

The only real thing to be hand in a car this big is 'timing control' for your primary position. However, I have learned, it messes it up for the rest of the seating positions in the car when you go for a 'forward' sound as opposed to a 'centred' sound (think, arm-rest position) for everyone else.
Yes. It really does mess up for the other occupants. Only the person sitting in the middle row center seat is in the location to appreciate the balance.

Also, on a separate note, Home Theatre or 5.1/7.1 surround sound systems at home vs the 12 speaker surround sound system in Z8L. I'm not trying to compare quality or clarity. But what exactly is the difference in the way they produce the surround sound effect? The home theatres can play audio coming from all directions while the car setup as you say will always play 2 channels (L&R) and shift balance between them. Is it possible to have such a true theatre setup in this car with stock sound system via any settings?
Does the immersive 3D audio try to simulate 5.1/7.1 like surround sound via the 2 channels from BT? Would the quality be better if AA or CarPlay is connected via wire instead? Thank you.
Old 15th June 2023, 23:25   #2736
BHPian

You're never getting anywhere close to headphone (2 channel) quality in a car, so everything else is just here say and witchcraft.

Binaural is where it's at. Is, and always will be.

Heck, the tweeters don't even have proper crossovers. Need I say more?

=) the only benefit of the 12 speaker setup is a more 'forward' sound for the avg. Joe.
To every 'I must, spend my money on audio' guy, I value the wiring and the opportunity to put third party stuff. Though, honestly speaking, why? I'll be left with an improper unbalanced setup in no time. I'll spend days tuning it. Yet it'll sound weird every time I turn my head.

If one argues that the 8L has a subwoofer in the back, that's nice for speaker fill, but that's it.

Here's a picture of a proper subwoofer in my Z6. I've sold the car. My Z8 4x4 is coming next weekend.
See attached.
This sub can blow the roof off and sound pretty decent when needed. Beats whatever I have tried with the thar. It's a JBL 1300 with a Sony N1004.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20230429_202253.jpg  

wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 01:10   #2737
BHPian

Wooka, your explanation is much appreciated. A large step for me to get to know audio systems a bit better. My detailer had a similar sub-woofer setup in his xuv700. It literally used to blow the roof off !

Also on my initial question, since the speakers are tuned by Sony using 360 reality audio, does it mean it shall support Dolby Atmos music from Apple Music/Spotify? Or will it just ignore the Dolby Atmos and try to create it's own 3D spatial mapping of the audio? I understand that the output will definitely not be similar to headphones but I would just like to know for knowledge and my understanding.

Btw what was your reason for selling the Z6? Just felt like upgrading to 4x4?
Old 16th June 2023, 09:36   #2738
BHPian

I own a Z4 DL AT. There seems to be an issue with the parking lights. If the engine is off, the parking lights are off as well. Even the brake lights do not work when the engine is off. Is this the same for all Mahindras? Am I missing something? I haven't seen this in any other car brands.
keeprevving is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 14:14   #2739
BHPian

Does any one know the reason for below issue?
One day my keys were inside the tray below the left hand rest. I hopped out of the car had a cup of tea with my friend, went back and the car door was locked. My mobile was inside charging tray so no Adrenox. It didn’t open even with the request sensor.

Luckily was close to my home so had to send my friend to get the second key.

I was under the impression that doors would always open with request sensor when keys are inside/nearby.

As a lesson i always take the keys with me as I exit now.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th June 2023 at 06:25. Reason: Spacing fixed.
shubh001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 16:28   #2740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubh001 View Post
Does any one know the reason for below issue?
I was under the impression that doors would always open with request sensor when keys are inside/nearby.
The request sensor will work only if the keyfob is with you outside the car and in close proximity to the car not when it’s inside the car.

Ideally if the key fob is left inside the car then the car should not get locked itself!

Most cars won’t lock themselves if the key fob is left inside, I forgot my keyfob inside my Creta yesterday and went away to a nearby shop for 5 mins and neither did the car lock itself, nor did it let me lock the car using the request sensor.

Quote:
As a lesson i always take the keys with me as I exit now.
That’s the way it should be.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th June 2023 at 06:58.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 16:48   #2741
BHPian

All,

I got delivery of my Scorpio N Z8 D MT on April 23rd 2023 and my car has been in the service centre for 20 days out of my 53 days of ownership and it is still in the service centre while I type this post. So my suggestion is if you have a basic expectation that your car should work the way it is supposed to work, please avoid buying Mahindra Scorpio N.

There is a noise coming into the cabin which starts when the car crosses around 1.5k RPM and it continues beyond that point. So if you are driving on a highway with the music system off, every time you press the accelerator pedal you will hear the "grrr" noise which is very annoying. In the city you hear it every time you revv the engine to shift gears. It's not loud but it is very prominent for anyone who has basic knowledge of cars and loves driving.

I reported this on the day of delivery and I was asked to give it to the service centre the next day which I did. The car came back in the evening saying the issue is fixed but it was not. I travelled to my hometown where I gave the car for 1000kms service. The service centre acknowledged that there is a noise but they were not confident on how to fix it as they don't come across a lot of scorpio N's in our hometown. I agreed, spoke to my sales guy in Bangalore and came back to Bangalore to get it fixed leaving my family in hometown.

First attempt - Car in service centre for 8 days, no resolution to the issue:

1. I was promised the vehicle will be picked from my place (service centre is close to my house) but no one came on May 11th. I didn't mind, I went to service centre myself on may 12th. On first test drive the service manager told it is standard operating noise in diesel cars. On explaining I have driven more than 2.5 Lac kms in my Vento TDI and Indica Vista Quadrajet combined, I was told this noise is present in all Scorpio Ns.

2. I insisted that we test drive another diesel manual SN to compare, I was told there are no diesel manual SNs available in the service centre. After walking around the service centre , I found their own test drive vehicle which I showed the service manager. Then he came for a test drive with their lead technician who acknowledged that there is a noise in my car.

3. Service manager asked me to book an appointment the following day and bring the vehicle. I gave the vehicle to them the following day May 13th. May 14th was Sunday, May 15th when I called the SA I was told the issue is fixed. I visited the service center and on test driving the vehicle the noise was still present. The QA person with me on the test drive also confirmed the noise is still there.

4.May 16 - I visited the workshop and found that no work is being done on my car vehicle. Service manager again tried to convince me the noise is normal. I insisted they should reach out to M&M for support after which he said he will raise a TAR and somehow fix the issue by following day. May 17 - No updates again. I called the service manager and he didn’t have an update. He said he will get an update by 4pm but no updates. I visited the sales MD at the showroom to help me with the issue. He spoke to the service manager and asked me to visit the service centre. I visited the service centre where I found that my vehicle hasn’t moved an inch from the spot it was parked yesterday and catching dust and leaves from the trees.

5. The service manager told me that different teams were working and test driving my car for the last couple of days. I came home, opened the Adrenox App and found that my car was not even started in the last 2 days. I just got fed up of this unethical behaviour, escalated to Mahindra including the above details and screenshots from Adrenox. I gave them one more day as they requested and again no results, so took the car back on May 18th & went back to hometown.

Second attempt - Car in service centre for 12 days as of today, no resolution to the issue:

1. While in hometown I coordinated with a gentleman from Mahindra and requested him to put me in touch with another service centre as I have lost all my trust with the previous one. He did the same & I took the car to this service centre on June 5th as soon as I was back from hometown. The service centre manager and their cotek technician attended my issue with a lot of attention & assured me of a resolution.

2. June 6th, visited their yard to test drive a new car of same variant and found that the new car doesn't have this noise and the same was acknowledged by the service centre folks as well. I was impressed with their attention to detail and intent to resolve the problem.

3. The car was in service centre for a couple of days, they gathered all data from my car and the new car which was sent to Mahindra technical team. After all the process which had to be followed, they suspected the Turbo charger to be having some issue and it was replaced on June 9th. They needed some valve which came on June 12th and the car was brought to me for test drive on June 13th. Unfortunately the noise was still present even after replacing the TC. The service manager and technician also acknowledged that the noise is still there and took the car back with them. The next step was to check the injectors.

4. Before they left I showed them a video of a very similar issue posted by one of SN owners in one of the FB groups, the issue was fixed after changing injectors.

5. This service centre folks have been extremely helpful and focused on resolving the issue and also sharing updates with me on a daily basis. I have no concerns on their work. I am also in touch with the Mahindra team who is assuring me that they are working closely with SC. But the problem is now even after 12 days in the service centre, the issue is not resolved even till today (June 16th) and I have no clue when it will be resolved.

This is so heartbreaking to see my new vehicle rot in the service centre for days together. I have already paid 2 EMIs for the car but I haven't been able to enjoy the car to even bare minimum. What we expected to be one of most pleasant experience for us is slowly turning out to be a most bitter one.

So explore other options unless you want to live with the niggles, frequent visits to SC to rectify them and go through what I am going through after paying 22+ lacs of your hard earned money. You might also get a SN with no issues or you have the ability to overlook niggles in your car (which I can't) in which case this won't be a problem. So I am in no way trying to defame anyone or put pressure on Mahindra here, this is just an honest advise!

Last edited by DheerajNK : 16th June 2023 at 16:55.
DheerajNK is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 22:58   #2742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DheerajNK View Post

There is a noise coming into the cabin which starts when the car crosses around 1.5k RPM and it continues beyond that point. So if you are driving on a highway with the music system off, every time you press the accelerator pedal you will hear the "grrr" noise which is very annoying. In the city you hear it every time you revv the engine to shift gears. It's not loud but it is very prominent for anyone who has basic knowledge of cars and loves driving.
I empathize with you. I recently became owner of a Z8 D MT. It is a May 2023 batch car. I am also noticing this sort of rough Grrr sound upon pressing the gas whem RPM crosses 1.5k mark. I feel disappointed every time I rev the car. Unfortunately,I did not get time to take the car to ASC. Plesse share which ASC you are consulting now. I hope you get a satisfactory resolution of this problem.
Old 16th June 2023, 23:32   #2743
BHPian

I too noticed the low "grrr" whenever I accelerated rapidly. That sound has reduced (or my ears have adapted) but the steering judder is becoming more pronounced.

The loud metallic rattle from the driver side AC vent whenever I go over tall rumble strips at speed also persists. Check out the attached zip file if interested.

To all the new ScorpioN owners, welcome to the Mahindra SUV Beta-test group.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Metallic rattle.zip (106.0 KB, 60 views)
Old 16th June 2023, 23:43   #2744
Senior - BHPian

Can someone help me with confirming that the difference between the Z8 D AT and Z8L D AT is limited to the front camera, 12 speaker system and electric seats? Not sure if 1.8L difference on the on-road price is worth these.
Old 18th June 2023, 11:49   #2745

Hello all,

It's been 3 months since I got my Z4 2WD AT Silver and been taking every single opportunity to hit the highway and the beast has already crossed 3500 kms. Loving it and this post is to request for few recommendations in Bangalore or Chennai.

1. Need to change the Headlight bulbs to LED. Recommended Brand, Specs and Garage to fix. (Mahindra has same answer for the last 3 months - No Stock)

2. Is OEM foglamps with switch control available in Bangalore? If yes, please do refer.

3. What would your advice for adding a Subwoofer? An Under-seat sub (Approx 20K for JBL) or Amp + SUB in the rear housing (Approx - 16K but needs a lot of open close of panels.

4. Is there an aftermarket flat floor boot bed for older cars (Pre-March 2023) like the ones installed in newer ones.

5. Upgraded the rims to 17" Alloy pre delivery but they handed over the unused rims + Wheel cover which is lying unused. Would it be possible to check with Mahindra service to give back? Or Will I be able to sell it in any garage (Just wanted to dispose of, as it is lying unused and occupying space)

Thank you in advance.

Yesterday I installed the Blaupunkt Dashcam for 10K all-inclusive in a garage near home in Bangalore. Took about 45 minutes and pretty neat installation. Will share pics soon.
nandakumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks