Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2023, 15:10   #2791
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumarS View Post
Few pages back on this thread, few people mentioned that zoom gives better mileage because of more power hence less gear shift.

Could not validate that but in ORR traffic, I am getting mileage of 7 KMPL with default mode from D AT.

Even with slightly less traffic, 35-40 km/h come around 2k RPM in 3rd gear, I guess, and damn thing doesn't upshift
I have a D AT as well but 2WD. I get a mileage of 9.x on ORR in usual traffic. It drops to 8ish if its the standstill type. I feel 4WD has 1-2 kmpl less mileage than a 2WD.

3rd gear comes at 2k RPM but 4th is at 2300. That is my pain point. I feel if upshifts were around 1800-1900, we could have got better mileage.

Have not tried this in manual mode.

Can a software update change the gear shifting at lower RPM in future ? I know I might be getting too optimistic.

Last edited by Nightmare : 26th June 2023 at 15:13. Reason: added text
Nightmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 16:16   #2792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
Seems they have changed the rear badging to 4X4 from 4XPLOR.

Or was it always the case?
4XPLOR might be the terrain modes that are available in Z8 onwards.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 17:54   #2793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumarS View Post
Thanks for pics.

Wanted to replicate the same in N but due to vertical glass, its impossible.
Looking for some jugad platform for rear camera .

Yes, internal mounting may not be possible with this cam as the rotation on axis of cam is limited.

Quote:
Seems they have changed the rear badging to 4X4 from 4XPLOR.
Z4 has 4x4 badging. 4xplorer is for Z8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
4XPLOR might be the terrain modes that are available in Z8 onwards.
Thats absolutely correct
his-xc-lnc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 18:55   #2794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by his-xc-lnc View Post

The rear view cam is wolfbox T10. Definitely a great cam. Also, the camera comes with a cig lighter socket to type C charger. Since, no cig lighter is available in scorpio N, USB to type C arrangement for powering the unit is resorted to and hence one hanging loose wire. Will make some arrangement later.
Its a great mirror Dashcam with so many must have features. I have installed Wolfbox 840H in my Z4 D AT. And, I have hardwired it for seamless working and also for parking surveillance. You should be getting hardwire kit along for free with T10.

There is a cig-lighter in the boor area of ScorpioN. The draw back of using cig-lighter port is, it will toggle for every position of ignition key rotation switching ON/OFF the dashcam which was annoying for me.
sulliavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 20:18   #2795
BHPian

If AA and Apple CP become available for Z6 and Z8 as well, How are we supposed to get that update? Will there be a communication and we will have to visit the service center or some other way?
Nightmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 23:18   #2796
BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Hi All!
Seeking all your valuable advise.
I am getting immediate delivery of Scorpio N (Z6, Z8 & Z8L) from my local M&M Dealer.
Should I go for it?
Please suggest your opinions with reasons thereof.
I am particularly inclined towards the Z6 MT, since it will be used in the Mines for works related to my factory.
Regards.
Ameeth
Old 28th June 2023, 06:57   #2797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameeth View Post
I am particularly inclined towards the Z6 MT, since it will be used in the Mines for works related to my factory.
Regards.
Ameeth
Ask the dealer to send you the VIN for your preferred variant , if it's manufactured in the last 60 days you should go for it & book it but make full payment only after doing proper PDI .

It's quite possible some people may have cancelled booking for various reasons.
Gotham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 10:45   #2798
BHPian

Quote:
If AA and Apple CP become available for Z6 and Z8 as well, How are we supposed to get that update? Will there be a communication and we will have to visit the service center or some other way?
Apple CP is still not available for Z8L owners and there seems to be no ETD too on the horizon. For owners, who are waiting for AA, its all "crying baby gets the milk" scenario. Keep pushing your SA/service technician for an update or they might plan to do it during your 10K service visit. As these dont relate to the safey of the car or must-have's, I am sure they will not communicate proactively to roll these out.
atluri_rkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 11:12   #2799

A horrible experience in making

I am writing this ownership review of my Scorpio N Z8L 6S Petrol AT after 8300+Kms of driving. I initially wanted to write this after completing 10K Kms but desperate time calls for this measure.

The search for new vehicle began with my health not allowing me to drive a manual car. I was looking for a perfect replacement to a VW Polo 1.5D Highline (Chikni). The standard was set high by my faultless Polo ownership. The search began in early 2022 for a safe SUV as safety was the first priority with a family of 5, but mostly used by 3 of us as my fathers Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi was stationed at my village for my mother and grandmother to use in emergencies. I wanted the car by December 2022 deadline as I could not risk my health any longer.

Cars in option were:
1) Mahindra XUV700 AX7 petrol AT Luxury Pack
2) Skoda Kushaq Monte Carlo 1.5 DSG
3) Jeep Compass 1.4 petrol AT
4) VW Taigun 1.5 DSG
5) TATA Harrier Black edition AT

Diesel was the last option as the is uncertain. Still think I made the right choice. The first choice was a Mahindra but my SA said that it will be extremly difficult to get the vehicle in the varient I want. Moving on I narrowed it down to Skoda Kushaq as it fit well in the criteria except the fit and finish and overall quality was inferior to the solid Polo. That is when the Nagpur Skoda dealer decided to wrap up his business and untill further notice and the appointment of the new dealer the dealership was closed. I dropped the VW Taigun as the VW dealer was closing shop as well. With the Germans (Sorry Skoda) out of picture and time passing by came the time when suddenly my SA at Provincial Mahindra called me up for the launch event of the (So called) Big Daddy of SUV the Scorpio N. I liked the vehicle but was unsure of how this big footprint body on frame SUV will fit me. SA was sure I will not get this in my time frame. Sadly I forgot about both Mahindras because of unavailability.

By this time I was sure that either I have to go for a Harrier or Compass. With good relations maintained thoughout with all the SAs at different dealerships, In November I was offered the Harrier ready available at the company and delivery in 30 days max. Similarly a white Compass was offered at a whooping discount of around 3 lacs with immidiate delivery as the vehicle was available with the dealership. In the mean time the Scorpio N was getting fantastic reviews from all round the motoring community. It just made it more desirable and with clever suspension the high centre of gravity didn't bother me about uncontrolled body roll.

As my birthday was approching we decided to put our booking on the 24th of November, 1 day before my birthday. Me, my wife and my daughter (now 3) left to get put down the booking for either of the two. As we sat in the car just to campare everything again we somehow decided to visit Provincial Mahindra to take a look at both of the offerings from the manufacturer. As we landed there the SA was again sure I will not be getting the car. But my persuing power was too much and he offered the vehicle on display with the delivery promised in 10 days. I put down the 1Lac booking he asked for.
On 29th of Nov my SA called me to make the full payment to get the vehicle in RTO. It took him good 5 days to do the process and I took the delivery of KALI, (yes I name them all) on 3rd of Dec 22. A happy and proud moment!

My first long drive was a good 600 km trip in a day. I fell in love with the overall dynamics of the vehicle and loved how it behaved on the road even after being tall, long and wide. It wasn't long and my 1st service was due by 18th Dec, got it done the next day on 19th.

At this point all was going good and other than a few nags in the electronics it was smooth sailing. My run got low as I was busy with house renovation for 2 months. Then came the time to travel again on June 4th when everything gone south.
I was on Samruddhi EXP traveling with my wife and my daughter minding my business in cruise control cruising at around 100-103. With no traffic and road as straight as it can get there was no need to apply brakes. Suddenly the engine warning light and the warning on the cluster came on, disengaging the cruise and not letting me engage again. As it was a Sunday I found a spot to stop the car near before Karanja and called the customer care number. I was given a number of CXM from Provincial Auto and was asked to get in touch with him. I called him up and fortunatly he answerd on a Sunday. He asked me to visit the nearest service as an engine warning cannot be taken lightly. But being Sunday no service would have entertained us. So we decided to turn back to Nagpur. It was a 425KM return trip. After returning I put everything on mail to Mahindra, explaining the entire situation.
The very next day I took the vehicle to Provincial only to get it back by evening. I was told that EMS ECU was flashed and the problem is solved now. Happy with service we decided to leave the next day 6th June. I drove exactly how I do, no unneccesary braking and the cruise control was set to the same around 100kph. Faced absolutly no issues while going. But while on my return journey on7th after doing around 900-1000kms since getting the vehicle back on 5th the engine warning was back. Not expecting this the vehicle was back with Provincial service on the 8th after just 1233 Kms for taking it home as problem resolved.
This is where everything got weird. I was told by the Provincial service team that they are being asked to go by SOP, 1st mechanicals were checked then the electronics. Then they took 2 test drives, combined it used up all of the 230+km range worth of Petrol. Then after all of the investigation they got back to me with not a resolution but an explaination. I was told that this is not a problem but a feature of the vehicle and normal behavior. I was shocked and angry to hear this. My immediate response was to laugh at the statement made by the service advisor on call (wish I had recording on). After collecting myself I asked him to confirm this in writing, and he agreed to do so. This was on the 16th of June, 8 days after me leaving the vehicle with Provincial. 17th -18th being weekend I was worried it might be delayed to Monday, and it did so it an ugly way.
On Monday the 19th I visited the service again, this time I was to meet CCM from Mahindra. I was made to wait 5 and a half hour and he still didn't provide me that email. Tired of arguing the point I left disappointed again. On Tuesday I called the service advisor again and he assured me that the mail will be provided by day end, they didn't. On Wednusday, already tired of Mahindra I visited my lawyer and asked him to draft a notice. While this was being done I recieved an email from the CCM. In that email he explained the problem as below:

Mr. ------
Greetings from Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd!
This is in reference to your feedback related to the engine check lamp while driving vehicle in the cruise mode for long time (more than a hour). Your feedback has been evaluated and found that, this is as per intended safety logic and normal operation of the vehicle. As per logic if the vehicle is driven in cruise mode for more than one hour without any brake input in between, the engine check lamp will get ON and cruise more will get deactivaed. To initiate cruise mode again, you need to switch OFF the ignition and again switch it ON.
Alternatively, to avoid getting into this situation, you may operate brakes once within an hour of engaging the cruise.

With Regards,
----------------
Customer Care Manager | Regional Office,Pune
Mahindra Automotive Division

After recieving this I asked my lawyer friend to stop the notice and in reply to the mail asked the CCM as below:
Mr. ----------
Do I consider this mail as confirmation that the vehicle in question Scorpio N reg no. MH -----is fit for operation without any known issues in the electronic and mechanical system?

Regards
-------

To which he replied:

Mr.-------
Greetings from Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd!
Yes, already mentioned in my communication.
With Regards,
----------

I took the vehicle back on Thurday 22nd June convinced that if anything happens here on forward Mahindra has to take responsibility now that they are denying the fault by saying it was a feedback and not a complaint. No apology offered by CCM, for anything!
Sunday 25th of June while in city only after doing 60 odd kms in the city itself I got the same engine warning without even engaging cruise. And the vehicle is back to Provincial again today. Tuesday after calling my SA he said that the Mahindra asked the team to perform SOP again! What was done before then?
I have taken pictures and screenshots of everything for proof and posting the same here. I am in dire situation here with no one taking resonsibility for the problem. My wife and kid are stuck at my in-laws now because I don't have my own vehicle.
All help is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20221203_183745.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20230604_104714.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20230621_181134_gmail.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20230622_105557_gmail.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20230622_105610_gmail.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20230625_201746.jpg  

ikalmegh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 21:36   #2800
BHPian

Team,

Anyone here who had a hassle-free cancellation with Mahindra?

I cancelled my booking early June after having waited for the delivery for about a year. Immediately got response from booking support team to provide the bank details etc which were promptly provided by me.

Since then, I am getting a standard response from booking support team saying they have escalated this to the finance team and are awaiting their response. Imagine India's top5 automobile manufacturer struggling with organizational silos between production schedule, finance, booking, delivery and a poorly curated and managed customer service.

While I have written to customercare and bookingsupport email addresses, do we have any formal escalation method known to anyone on the forum here?

I wonder how can they mess things up so royally with zero care to illusive customer experience?
geekyengineer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 01:46   #2801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DheerajNK View Post
There is a noise coming into the cabin which starts when the car crosses around 1.5k RPM and it continues beyond that point. So if you are driving on a highway with the music system off, every time you press the accelerator pedal you will hear the "grrr" noise which is very annoying. In the city you hear it every time you revv the engine to shift gears. It's not loud but it is very prominent for anyone who has basic knowledge of cars and loves driving.
Sad to hear about your experience with Mahindra Service. My Z4 AT also has a faint whirring noise while accelerating. I reported the issue to the service centre, but they said that the noise was normal intake noise and nothing to worry about. I have not worried about it since as it is not that annoying on my vehicle.

What does bother me are the creaking sounds heard whenever I switch from Park to Drive or from Reverse to Drive and vice versa. Basically, if I'm reversing the car there's a loud creaking noise from under the body. The ASC says that it is the sound of the automatic brake engaging from the hill hold system. He says that they will need to look into the matter in detail to completely resolve it, but also said that it is not a concern, as in it doesn't affect the functionality. They promised to attend to it whenever I next gave the vehicle for service, or if I give them enough time. I have asked them to order the fog lamp/DRL kit and the rear boot tray that comes in the 2023 models, and I plan to have them take a look at it then.

Another issue I have seen is that occasionally the drive mode gets confused if you try to change drive modes while the start stop system is active and the car is switched off. I've had to restart the vehicle to reset it and the MID shows the drive mode again. when you try to switch to ZOOM mode while stopped at traffic, the power actually drops and the car gets bogged down with a loss of power, before suddenly starting to pull with a jerk. This happened twice and since then I have stopped paying with the drive modes while the engine start-stop system is active. I haven't tried to recreate the issue, nor have I reported it. The driver side rear parking sensor has been acting up ever since I had a small brush with an auto rickshaw, and beeps randomly when I reverse the car.

Other than that the vehicle has had almost no issues. The FE is single digit mostly, as expected in the crawling city traffic, but given a small chance to stretch its legs in a highway or even a late night drive in the city, the FE will climb past 12-14 regularly. I had once instance of the DPF clogging and requiring a regen at about 3.5K. Android Auto and Apple Carplay work well without issues or disconnects (once I switched to a good cable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare
I simply heard what he said but did not totally agree. My understanding was that Zip mode might be ideal in high traffic. One would lose some power although. I have been driving in Zap mode for the past 1.5 months (that's when I got my car)

Has anyone driven considerably in Zip mode? Would want to know if the statement of the demo guy hold any weight or not about Zip mode being costly.
When I got my Z4 AT, initially I drove around in ZIP mode in the city as I felt that the power was a bit too much and I needed to get used to it. I too followed your logic that the supposedly city optimised ZIP mode would get better FE. However, the only good thing about the ZIP mode is the really light steering that is a breeze in the city. But the lack of response actually makes it harder to close in gaps and you get a lot of honking behind you when the lights turn green at signals.

I was getting lower FE in ZIP mode as well. I think that the ZIP mode is useful if you're getting used to the size of the car and want to restrain the engine a bit till you get used to it, and also if you want a really smooth drive with absolutely no jerks or bursts while accelerating. If my toddler is in the front seat, or standing on the floor in front of the seat, then I usually switch to ZIP mode for a smoother drive. I also use it if I'm letting someone else drive the vehicle, especially if they haven't driven anything as big or powerful.

Since this is such a torquey engine, IMHO it would have made sense for the car to upshift early in the ZIP mode as well. As it is, the ZAP and ZOOM modes are the most useful, and the ZIP is a novelty. I tried switching to manual mode and tried shifting early, but the slushbox AT stubbornly held on to the gears and wouldn't respond until the correct rpm was reached, and downshifted as soon as I prodded the throttle.

Hope they fix this with some kind of update in the future and turn the ZIP mode into a more useable ECO mode. While I appreciate the smoothness of the AT and the power available due to the AT being tuned for response rather than FE, I do feel that at least one mode should be tuned for better FE in the city. Not all may agree.

I have done some upgrades to my Z4, some functional and some cosmetic. I've got the chrome window beading set fitted, and also got some of the cladding painted silver to match the higher variants.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-rt-side.jpg

The LED bulbs I upgraded to are OSRAM LEDriving 25W which I got from Amazon.in for about 3500/- a pair. I needed 2 pairs for the hi and low beams. I also got OSRAM LEDs for the parking lamps.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230222_074210147.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230222_074457199.jpg

Though the halogen lamps were adequate in the city, I upgraded mostly because I am used to the higher intensity LEDs in my previous car. The LEDs proved themselves to be worthy during a Munnar trip with night drive as they properly lit up the pitch dark roads with no street lighting, like day. I plan to upgrade the reverse lamps to LED as well.

Something that I deeply resent is the fact that Mahindra chose to randomly return to the 5x139.7 PCD pattern for the Scorpio-N, last seen on the XUV500, as there is a severe lack of choice for aftermarket wheels as it is a rare PCD in India. Even the Thar which is more off-road focused has the 5x114.3 PCD. So it's not about the strength offered by the larger PCD. Upgrade options are very limited unless you are willing to use a PCD converter setup to change to either 5x160 or 5x114.3. That's a path I'd rather not take, as it would add more failure points, especially as I can't ensure the quality of the converters.
vivekgk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 17:28   #2802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Sad to hear about your experience with Mahindra Service. My Z4 AT also has a faint whirring noise while accelerating. I reported the issue to the service centre, but they said that the noise was normal intake noise and nothing to worry about. I have not worried about it since as it is not that annoying on my vehicle.

What does bother me are the creaking sounds heard whenever I switch from Park to Drive or from Reverse to Drive and vice versa. Basically, if I'm reversing the car there's a loud creaking noise from under the body.
Wow. Now that you are mentioning it, I feel I also have both these problems in my car. Not sure if they are in fact problems.

Till the car is in 3rd gear I hear a whirring noise but always felt it was because of the big and powerful engine. But the car becomes very silent in 4th gear and upwards.

The creaking noise during reverse was something I felt came from the tyres. The car is parked on a cemented place and I assumed big tyres make such noise.

Can some expert shed some light on these? Are these real issues or just how a big car behaves. I jumped from wagon R to Scorion N so need some inputs here.
Old 29th June 2023, 22:36   #2803
BHPian

Quote:
Till the car is in 3rd gear I hear a whirring noise but always felt it was because of the big and powerful engine. But the car becomes very silent in 4th gear and upwards.

The creaking noise during reverse was something I felt came from the tyres. The car is parked on a cemented place and I assumed big tyres make such noise.
Same problem here. I have a z6 D AT, the engine note is different in the first two gears and gets silent on 3rd and up despite being in the same rev range.
The creaking noise is definitely the brakes engaging for the hill start assist and I do not worry about it.
Old 30th June 2023, 10:04   #2804
BHPian

Guys, as far as I remember: there was a recall for the Clutch Slave Cylinder issue for Diesel MT variants. Does the recall hold good for April/May 2023 manufactured batches too? I am due for the first service of my Z8 MT. Please share what are the things I should be looking for in 1st service?

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 30th June 2023 at 10:06.
Old 30th June 2023, 11:11   #2805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Guys, as far as I remember: there was a recall for the Clutch Slave Cylinder issue for Diesel MT variants. Does the recall hold good for April/May 2023 manufactured batches too? I am due for the first service of my Z8 MT. Please share what are the things I should be looking for in 1st service?
I believe the clutch slave cylinder issue may have been addressed in the newer models starting from Jan 2023. Mine is Jan Manufactured and during my 1st Service, the service advisor confirmed that the issue has been fixed.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th June 2023 at 12:50. Reason: As requested.
DragonHawk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks