Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2022, 15:39   #646
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Considering the cost of the XUV7OO AX7L MT variant and the cost of the AX7L AWD AT, the difference is around 3 lacs. While estimating the cost of Scorpio N, i had expected the cost to be higher than Z8L MT by a similar margin but it turned out to be around 1.5L more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
Pricing AT and 4WD at a steep premium especially when people have comparable set of numbers from the same manufacturer (XUV7OO) is a pricing mistake IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
And this is Introductory pricing?

AWD at almost 3L extra OTR?
AT at almost 2.35L extra OTR?

Nope this is not VFM
Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
I had to tell him not interested anymore. Almost 4.5 lakh more for AT + 4*4 model. with on-road price touching 27 lakhs. I would rather spend a lakh or 1.5 more and get XUV AWD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post
AT + 4WD pricing is too ambitious.

While I myself found the final pricing to be too high for my liking and have more or less given up on my Scorpio N plans, I don't think it should have come as a surprise. I think the signs were all there - we were probably too enthusiastic to see

+2L for AT: Because it's difficult to justify that for just the AT, Mahindra chose to weirdly under-spec the MT trims. Also, given how unusual it is, many people are not noticing this at all and thinking that the premium is only for the automatic transmission.

+2.5L for 4x4: I think Mahindra is at less of a fault on this one, although they could have communicated this better. All the comparisons are being done with usual premiums we see for AWD (most common comparison being with XUV 700). But Scorpio N provides much more within this premium of 2.5L - MLD, BLD and terrain modes. Whether one needs them or not, values them or not; is a separate discussion altogether.

When compared to XUV 700 pricing, there is hardly any difference left between XUV 700 top trim and Scorpio N top trim (especially after factoring in the price increase after first 25k bookings of Scorpio N). This just indicates that XUV 700 price increase is imminent, which is due too if we consider that Mahindra has been increasing prices for XUV 700 quarterly since launch and last price increase was in April 2022. A steep one this time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganapathy View Post
Also since I have recently attained Senior Citizen status, I was keen on getting an Automatic. However seeing the price differential of almost 2.5 lakhs and also considering that the clutch on the Scorpio during the test drive was quite light , is it wise to consider the MT at my age with the Knees getting a bit wobbly. To put it in perspective I have been driving MT cars for the last 30 years and love them.
Apart from the age, factors one should consider are - (a) where do you drive, and (b) how much do you drive

I find AT to be most useful in bumper to bumper city traffic, especially when that half-clutch-pressed kind of driving is required. For some people their daily commute involves traversing through such traffic and for them, AT becomes essential.

Last edited by tarunjain : 23rd July 2022 at 16:06. Reason: More content
tarunjain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 15:55   #647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slylenser View Post
Is it possible to buy the Scorpio N Z6 and convert the middle seats into captain seats that slide? That would meet my requirement perfectly, and save several lacs over the Z8L (6)
I have been watching YouTube videos with the same intention. The problem I found is that the middle row captain seats do not slide! They are mounted to a cross-member on the floor and are static. Also, only the one on the left tumbles, the one on the right just allows it's back-rest to be folded down. Will be very happy to be corrected.

Also, there are several videos on YouTube of people, especially in NCR adding the last row seat to 5 seater XUV700. Keeping this in mind, it may not be impossible to add 2 captain seats to any 7 seater ScorpioN
Old 23rd July 2022, 16:09   #648
BHPian

I test drove both the XUV700 AT Diesel and the Scorpio Z8 AT Diesel. The XUV700 feels more front heavy compared to the Scorpio N...Is that because of monocoque vs Ladder on Frame?

What really surprised me is that the XUV700 Diesel was noisy and had vibrations i could feel it in the vehicle constantly. Especially when you are at a red light and the car is idling, i could feel the vibrations distinctly in the steering wheel as well. However, the Scorpio Z8 was butter smooth and hardly any vibrations and it felt almost like a petrol engine.
Why is this difference so big? Its confused me on what to buy because for me NVH is important. Is it because the XUV700 is a TD vehicle which had clocked some 10k km and maybe badly maintained?

Please do share your thoughts as i am caught in this decision cycle. I could consider the XUV700 Petrol AT but the mileage of 7 kmpl is not too encouraging.

Last edited by originalamit : 23rd July 2022 at 16:15.
originalamit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 17:41   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post

Just my 2 cents. Interested to see if anyone else feels the same way, and if there's anything I missed that should be taken in consideration.

Z4 AT and Z6 MT is VFM when compared to any other vehicle. Advantage MT has is torque is available at lower RPM and RPM range is wider than AT. Also Extra cost of 50K in Z4 AT versus Z6 MT could be compensated for alloys in Z6 MT.
Regarding Z4 MT 4WD, it is part time 4 WD. Whether 16.4 is worth without MLD/BLD since for Z8L, it is the same 2.4L difference for full time 4WD.

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd July 2022 at 21:22. Reason: quoted post trimmed.
VRSriram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 19:16   #650
MMV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
Good thing I booked the XUV 700 . Thanks to my wife who had immediately rejected the Scorpio N on first look
Similar situation

When we did TD of ScorpioN , front seat was damn good (feel, height etc), middle seat was ok (wife gave a thumps down), 3rd row is a compromise!

Requested SA, that I want to TD the XUV 700 also, he is yet to oblige though saying one or the other excuse.
Old 23rd July 2022, 20:20   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRSriram View Post
Z4 AT and Z6 MT is VFM when compared to any other vehicle. Advantage MT has is torque is available at lower RPM and RPM range is wider than AT. Also Extra cost of 50K in Z4 AT versus Z6 MT could be compensated for alloys in Z6 MT.
Regarding Z4 MT 4WD, it is part time 4 WD. Whether 16.4 is worth without MLD/BLD since for Z8L, it is the same 2.4L difference for full time 4WD.

Yes. The Z4 MT 4WD comes without without MLD,BLD, ESIC, Hill Control & Roll Over Mitigation; which are Modern Off-road paraphernalia.

But even without these add-ons, isn't Z4 still a great Basic 4WD option at that price point for Offroaders??

The fact that it also comes with a Higher Powered Diesel than the regular Z4 MT is a Bonus.
INDIAN_VAGABOND is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 20:28   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalamit View Post
I test drove both the XUV700 AT Diesel and the Scorpio Z8 AT Diesel.

However, the Scorpio Z8 was butter smooth and hardly any vibrations and it felt almost like a petrol engine.
Why is this difference so big? .
It's because the engine is mounted on a frame/chassis and also has something to do with stiffening of body and chassis that Mahindra has been advertising for the Scorpio N.

I was prepared for less engine sound as per reviews, but no engine vibration in Diesel was surprising.
KumarS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 21:00   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Need some advise- Since the Z6 has the same infotainment system as the Z8, will it be possible to get the Z6 variant and have the rear camera and TPMS incorporated with after market accessories? Will this be possible and does it make sense?
If after market guys can also install cruise control on a basic xuv700, adding a tpms and rear camera shouldn’t be a challenge but how they are able to integrate it with the inbuilt system remains to be seen.
Quote:
Also since I have recently attained Senior Citizen status, I was keen on getting an Automatic. However seeing the price differential of almost 2.5 lakhs and also considering that the clutch on the Scorpio during the test drive was quite light, is it wise to consider the MT at my age with the Knees getting a bit wobbly. To put it in perspective I have been driving MT cars for the last 30 years and love them.
I have been driving manuals for the last 20 years but now i want to switch to AT to keep my knees intact for as long as i can. I would definitely suggest you go for AT without a second thought. Your left leg will search for a pedal initially but you’ll soon get used to happily resting it for as long as you drive.

I went for a TD of Scorpio-N which was a diesel AT and my left leg thanked me in just that 10 min drive itself. It’s such a relief…

The TD vehicle was a 4XPLOR model and hence probably had a bit stiffer suspension though the TD itself was not on off-road..the route selected by the sales guy had all sorts of road conditions to test the vehicle but not a complete off-road to say so. Potholes, rough roads etc are gobbled up but since I drive a Xylo for last 9-10 yrs, I did not feel any sideways movement to that extent. Engine is really silent and very less noise creeps inside the cabin. And all this while the music system was switched off. With music, it would be difficult to hear the engine purr. Tested the music system in the display car and it was nice to listen though it was just for a minute or so. Anyways, my desire for quite some time was to go for a diesel AT and 4x4 vehicle and all this i am getting in the Scorpio and more than that it’s a Mahindra. Having owned a Mahindra for the last 9-10 years, I don’t have to think twice before entering unknown waters. Indian roads demand Indian cars and what better than a Mahindra. Another advantage is the service center is bang opposite my residence. Coincidentally, i work with a Mahindra group company as well..so to say a Mahindra Loyalist

Last edited by rahulya007 : 23rd July 2022 at 21:24.
rahulya007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 21:28   #654
BHPian

Quote:
have the rear camera and TPMS incorporated with after market accessories? Will this be possible and does it make sense?
There's a chance you can get even Mahindra genuine parts meant for the Z8 installed on a Z6. All it requires is an unlock via Mahindra's internal iSmart tool. I recommend you to wait a while post delivery and check with technicians on it's feasibility before looking for aftermarket accessories. Some relevant threads to check out are the XUV700 ownerships by users abirnale and RavenAvi where they tried it.

Quote:
been driving MT cars for the last 30 years and love them.
Once you drive an AT for even 3 days, you'll never go back to MT. Go for AT!
Tanmay007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 08:35   #655
BHPian

Went to have a quick look of the Scorpio today. Already have a booking for XUV 700 but the delivery is still showing in October 2023 so thought of buying this when the booking opens.

The car looks good from the front and side. Very tall. Rear is a miss for me. The additional space required to open the rear means it can only be parked in the front towards the wall mode. Anyways, it is not a big issue.

Space management is poor when you step in the cabin. The inside does not reflect the size on the outside. It felt much less and cramped when compared to xuv700. The quality of interiors is at par with the xuv. Rear seats are for kids only till they don't feel nauseous with the bumps. The advantage of a monocoque clearly shows here.

The premium of the 4x4 is a deal breaker as well. It is just too high. More like the premium Jeep charges when you go 1 variant up. AT plus 4x4 should have been around 2.8-3 lacs tops. So the car in this spec is no longer value for money for me.

For city dwellers, I think the XUV at current prices makes more sense than Scorpio if offloading is not your thing. For city and the highway, XUV is a much better proposition.

Rejected and removed from cart. Will stick to my XUV booking. Told the SA to keep an eye on any AX7/5 D which may come and is dropped by the booking holder. I had the XUV 500 from 2013 till this year so maybe I am a little biased towards the 700. It is a much improved 500. But the prices have gone through the roof. I purchased my XUV 500 W6 at 13.8 lacs in Aug 2013. A similar model is the AX5 which is above 20 lacs.

Last edited by model-t : 24th July 2022 at 08:37. Reason: Reference
model-t is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 09:02   #656
BHPian

Hi friends.

How effective do you guys think would be the AC of Scorpio N for third row passengers in hot and bad Delhi summers as Mahindra has not provided any AC vents for third row and so the air has to flow from the vent on the second row only.
Moreover, how inconvenient would it be for the second row passenger if we keep the AC at full throttle to keep third row cool.

I believe omission of AC vent in third row is a big miss and design flaw from Mahindra.
Old 24th July 2022, 09:51   #657
BHPian

So the group that had gone to Leh with the batch of 4EXPLOR Scorpio-Ns shared some insights into the driving characteristics of the car. Few issues reported by Ravi in his video:
  • Lack of low end torque - he says he felt almost a blank at stop-gos on inclines
  • Fuel efficiency ranging from 8-10 kmpl
  • Stiffer suspension - bumps and bounces felt inside
  • Good high speed stability - minimal body roll
  • One car faced Brakes issue (vaccum not generated)
  • DEF issue related to Urea spray nozzle due to low temperature and dryness
  • After water crossings, horn malfunctions in several cars
  • One of the cars infotainment went bad - kept flickering

Here is the video:
acquillew is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 11:02   #658
BHPian

I for one have withdrawn from the race on 30th July

After having seen the beast in person and driven it, the cramped interiors leave one disappointed after being wowed by the exteriors. Also the AT pricing - well not actually the pricing but the value for money has made me look at other cars in the same segment.

I am also apprehensive of buying a newly launched car since although I am a driving enthusiast, I am not a repair enthusiast and have no energy (some may read lazy here) to take the car numerous times to the ASS.
luvDriving is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 11:44   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I have been watching YouTube videos with the same intention. The problem I found is that the middle row captain seats do not slide! They are mounted to a cross-member on the floor and are static. Also, only the one on the left tumbles, the one on the right just allows it's back-rest to be folded down. Will be very happy to be corrected.

Also, there are several videos on YouTube of people, especially in NCR adding the last row seat to 5 seater XUV700. Keeping this in mind, it may not be impossible to add 2 captain seats to any 7 seater ScorpioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
So the group that had gone to Leh with the batch of 4EXPLOR Scorpio-Ns shared some insights into the driving characteristics of the car. Few issues reported by Ravi in his video:
  • Lack of low end torque - he says he felt almost a blank at stop-gos on inclines
  • Fuel efficiency ranging from 8-10 kmpl
  • Stiffer suspension - bumps and bounces felt inside
  • Good high speed stability - minimal body roll
  • One car faced Brakes issue (vaccum not generated)
  • DEF issue related to Urea spray nozzle due to low temperature and dryness
  • After water crossings, horn malfunctions in several cars
  • One of the cars infotainment went bad - kept flickering

Here is the video:
https://Youtu.be/cHxizQePkWY?t=308

Reviewer clearly mentions all vehicles are pre-production units and there was disclaimer from company beforehand itself that there could be issues.
Old 24th July 2022, 11:50   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by model-t View Post
Told the SA to keep an eye on any AX7/5 D which may come and is dropped by the booking holder.
Do you need AT or MT is okay?

Did you ask the Mahindra dealership located at Okhla? Just check with them for such availability. Also, with Sector 18 dealership in Gurgaon.

Since I need AT, and XUV700 is beyond my budget, I didn't bother much about that information. However, due diligence is a must for such offers. We can never be sure whether it is genuine luck or we are getting a lemon!

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th July 2022 at 14:26. Reason: spacing.
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks