Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2022, 22:53   #676
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandraSekarMN View Post
Is that a question or a comment? Can cruise control be installed in a basic xuv700? If someone can confirm, then that will change my options / priority list to some large extent. Thanks in advance.
There are videos on YT about this addition in the XUV7OO AX5. Sharing one that i saw..

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...tion+in+xuv700
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 01:38   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandraSekarMN View Post
Can cruise control be installed in a basic xuv700? If someone can confirm, then that will change my options / priority list to some large extent. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
There are videos on YT about this addition in the XUV7OO AX5.
None of the videos show aftermarket cruise control working on the AX5. All they’ve done is install the right side cruise button panel. It will require an unlock by Mahindra’s official tool but even that’s not a guarantee. So as of this moment it might not be possible.
Tanmay007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 02:50   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Yes, it happens and you have to accelerate harder to pickup from stand still. Also, these guys revv the vehicle just to show how the noise and acceleration at redline is and then also talk about low mileage.
I always cringe when I see these so called car experts and reviewers redline the shit out of diesels, especially diesel SUVs. I think it's because they are used to N/A petrol engines. Once you are past the mid range, there is simply no point in not shifting up in diesel engines unless you really want a lot of smoke and loud protesting noises from the engine. You will actually accelerate faster and end up with surprising fuel economy.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 06:33   #679
BHPian

Received the on road price breakup for Scorpio-N for Ahmedabad:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-20220725-6.29.53-am.png  

acquillew is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 08:40   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
I for one have withdrawn from the race on 30th July
I can see where you are coming from. It looks like a good decision at this point of time. Only other thing that I would have considered if I were you is, if you decide to buy the ScorpioN at a later date, then the price would have increased considerably. Case-in-point is the Thar. It has seen many price increases and now with a higher price, features are getting deleted : lumbar support is not there in the present Thar though it was there in the cheaper Thar a few years ago, in the same variant. Maybe the decision you have taken is to skip the vehicle completely, i.e not consider it even in the future for a purchase.
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 09:22   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I can see where you are coming from. It looks like a good decision at this point of time. Only other thing that I would have considered if I were you is, if you decide to buy the ScorpioN at a later date, then the price would have increased considerably. Maybe the decision you have taken is to skip the vehicle completely, i.e not consider it even in the future for a purchase.
Yes of course you are correct. Right now I am not considering it because the AT prices quoted do not offer value as compared to the other cars in the market. And going forward, the prices will only go north so yes the Scorpio N is sadly out of consideration for me.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 09:39   #682
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Yes of course you are correct. Right now I am not considering it because the AT prices quoted do not offer value as compared to the other cars in the market. And going forward, the prices will only go north so yes the Scorpio N is sadly out of consideration for me.
My friend who has a lumber business was seriously considering the Scorpio-N due to its all-terrain capabilities and ability to move people as well. He is OK with the prices, but would also like to consider other options, just so he can choose an alternative if the need demands it, so if you wouldn't mind could you please tell me what other cars are you considering?
Old 25th July 2022, 10:04   #683
BHPian

The higher variants of Scorpio N are electronics laden and to some extent electronics dependent/ adrenox interlocked/ controlled.

However, I find it is less dependent on electronics in the lower variants. And there is no adrenox in Z4, hence no nuisance arising from malfunctioning software controlled features.

For the Z4 AT there will be ESP and hill hold/ hill decent controls which might give trouble?

Also, Z2 and Z4 variants do not have the Sunroof. Hence the sunroof mechanism, motors and sensors are absent. No chance of sunroof sealing breach and leakage thereof.

Hence Z2 and Z4 seem to be relatively less trouble prone, if we consider Mahindra cars' initial problems.

Is this hypothesis wrong?

And how was the feedback on XUV700 AT variants initial niggles?

This weekend I had a TD of Skoda Kushaq also (1.0 AT). Though I liked that car, it had a huge banging sound (dang/ clang etc.) with vibration whenever I pressed the brake pedal (it was a brand new TD car with 39 km on ODO, I was probably 2nd or 3rd prospective customer to take TD). From SA's reply I understood this is kind of feature of Kushaq.

If cars manufactured by premium brands with legacy are built like this, what is the harm in picking up Scorpio N with some manageable initial niggles. At least it drives when I intend to drive and stops when I press the brake- without any fuss.
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 10:19   #684
BHPian

Had shown interest in the Scorpio-N on Day 1 which was promptly followed by a call from M&M central customer service team and they promised Test Drive by Koncept Mahindra, Sohna Road, Gurgaon.

Interestingly no one from the dealership called. When I reached the dealership, it appeared no one was interested in selling the car either. The sales advisors did not approach the customers and any enquiries were met with half-hearted response. So different from the Honda and Toyota dealerships I am used to!

So instead, travelled to the much further away Mahindra Dee Emm (Atul Kataria Chowk). This dealership looked more interested in selling the car and after a wait of approx. an hour, I managed to get a short test drive of the top spec Petrol Automatic. I was assigned a Sales Advisor who also followed up with booking enquiries. I was told to try booking myself on the 30th if I wanted to be among the first 25k customers as the dealership might not be able to do it. I also enquired at a few other dealerships and got the same response everywhere - "we recommend you do the booking yourself". They acknowledged that they have a separate portal for bookings but because they have a much longer list of bookings to do, chances of my self-booking going through on the 30th are higher.

Now fingers crossed for the 30th! Z4 Petrol Automatic suits my criteria and with a few after-market fitments should be a solid car.
rodeoz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 10:46   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoz View Post
Test Drive by Koncept Mahindra, Sohna Road, Gurgaon....

Interestingly no one from the dealership called. ...

So instead, travelled to the much further away Mahindra Dee Emm (Atul Kataria Chowk). This dealership looked more interested in selling the car.
This Sohna road dealership (Koncept) is not responsive, neither looks interested to explain features/ sell the cars to prospective Customers with non-local dialect.

The Dealership (Dee Emm) at Sector-18 Atul Kataria Chawk was better. They were open for negotiation (or at least listen to your views) on Insurance etc. Koncept at Platina bldg, Sikanderpur (opposite to Bristol hotel) was also good. Koncept quotation was higher (due to high quote of insurance and inclusion of mandatory accessories).

But none of them accepted booking requests, seems both are full with such pre-booking cheques.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 11:06   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Hence Z2 and Z4 seem to be relatively less trouble prone, if we consider Mahindra cars' initial problems.

Is this hypothesis wrong?
Fewer electronics do translate to fewer niggles. My friend's XUV700 AX5 though has suspension noise and clutch vibration issues which have nothing to do with electronics.

Niggles apart, only up to z6 makes sense for me. The variants i am considering are Z2 and Z4 (manual) in petrol. And Z6 manual in diesel. Autos are out of the question because of the pathetic mileage.

For 1.5 lakh extra, Z4 gets driver seat height adjustment and lumbar support, electrically adjustable OVRMs, sidesteps, grab handles, wheel covers and rear wiper/defogger. Not sure if it's worth it.

For another 1.5 lakh, Z6 diesel gets the all important safety kit. But diesel is a tough choice in NCR.

Mahindra hasn't released the images for lower variants. So can't make an informed decision yet.

Last edited by naru80 : 25th July 2022 at 11:11.
naru80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 11:40   #687
BHPian

Went to checkout the Scorpio today, great sales support and clear explanation provided.
Got a chance to test drive the Diesel MT. Since I drive the xylo, comparisons would directly be based on this, kindly bear

Few observations:

- The car is imposing, especially in black. Presence is really good and people offering you way immediately is a proof of the same.

- The engine has great pickup, clutch and gear play is light. This coming from my Xylo's heavy clutch, is really a refreshing change. Felt like I was driving the Petrol!! But I felt the xylo engine is a little more free, it felt the scorpio engine was driving with a n95 on. Just an observation but the engine is a gem, though the BS6 is not lively like early ones.

- Absolutely loved the brakes! But the pedal feel could have been better, just a light tap and the car comes to a stop immediately. Was a little scary at first since xylo neats a good stamping. The four discs make a hell lot of difference. The pedal feel reminded me of the early grand i10 where just breathing on the pedal would stamp the brakes.

- The TD car had the 17 inch alloys, I got a chance to drive through a really bad patch of road. The ride is good, though I would rate the 700 ride better due to monocoque chassis. You know whats there underneath but doesn't settle you off.

- The rear does not look bad to me, though my family felt the front bonnet was long. Again from a xylo which was criticised for its rear as well I find it fine.

- Adrenox can be used to control the sunroof functions also, the Sony speakers were decent nothing wow. Maybe playing the songs from another app might change my opinion.

- The hood is really really really heavy, needs a lot of heft to lift it up. Wish struts were provided instead of the traditional stick to hold the bonnet. No need for the gym if you lift this daily.

- The 3rd row seat is a little tight, anyone over 5'5 will find it difficult to sit. It's good for short trips or for kids only. This was a disappointment since the Xylo has a really good 3rd row. Lack of 3rd Ac is also a bummer, but the sales rep mentioned the airflow is good that it compensates. Since the weather was already cold, could not verify this.

- The rear camera works well, though it occupies only a small screen space on the audio system.

- The start/stop system when active, does not shut off the Ac when stopped in signals. This was a welcome change compared to the earlier versions. AC is a chiller, the dual zone is nice.

- Horn is the trumpet one by default, suits the vehicle. Sunroof is a small compared to the huge panoramic one in the 700.

- The Gearlever felt a little far off from the driver side, I found I had to stretch a little to operate the same. The xylo lever is long and easily falls to hand. Seating was really good and the space in the front and center space is great.

- There were a few niggles here and there. Second row seat belt did not fit the buckle, as in it did not lock the belt and just came off after repeated attempts.

- Good storage options, but the glovebox was really small for my liking. Is useful only for essentials and nothing more. Accessing the storage space on the doors was a little difficult when the doors are closed. You will have to slide your hand from the front to access the bay, my watch got stuck in between so some gymnastics required to adjust.
Bottle holders present on all four doors.

Overall Mahindra scores best in the drive feel and is a huge step over in quality from previous versions. Am looking at the options to upgrade, the z6 diesel MT looks best value. It misses out on the alloys, projector lamps, the sting type fogs and rear camera compared to Z8.

All these can be fitted at an extra cost at the dealer level and many of the features like adrenox, sunroof are the same as Z8 version. Now convincing my excitement to the cabinet meeting is a challenge.

Rep confirmed that the bookings would start from July end and car could be provided on first lot basis from oct onwards. Am confused whether to go with the first lot since its Mahindra or wait for improvements to happen as it always does.

Last edited by chinmaypillay : 25th July 2022 at 12:06.
chinmaypillay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 11:44   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post

Mahindra hasn't released the images for lower variants. So can't make an informed decision yet.
Someone posted expected interior photographs (screen shots) from the presentation yesterday. It seems for Z4/ Z6 the brown touches on door panels and dashboard, front armrest will remain. The seat covers/ leatherette brown coloured seat material will be missing.

If there is no touch of brown on dashboard and door panels and here and there, the interior of Scorpio N Z4/ Z6 will look like a dark cave, specially for the Z4 where sunroof is absent. Hence, some panel covers would be required to break the monotonous gloomy black/ dark interiors.

Solution: The brown seat covers in Mahindra accessories list look nice. There will be many other options in market. There is no side airbags in the seats for lower variants. Hence no problem to install those 3rd party seat covers.

I am not sure whether dash board panels can be covered with such materials/ leather/ art leather without disturbing the airbags. Door panels can be covered I guess. Again, these will be required if there is absolutely no brown touch on dash/ doors/ front armrest.

One feature that will be missed is Power foldable ORVMs in Z4. Hope XUV700 owners find some solution to this very soon. From XUV700 thread, I understand the couplers are different.

There won't be any ceiling mounted third row lights in Z4. Hence the boot space with 3rd row seat tumbled up will be another dark cave. Need to find some solution to this.

There won't be any Adrenox in Z4- blessing in disguise?

The instrument cluster LCD will be smaller and monochrome type- who cares when you have snow capped mountains around, and a tough road challenging you. (Personally, I have many more interesting HMI screens in front of me to fiddle with, balancing enormous mass and energy. Few colourful statistics and diagnostic information of cars do not excite me much.)

No fog lamps- there will be good options available in market, even the original OEM foglamp with Scorpio sting!

No projector headlights. I am not sure whether it will be LED set-up or Halogen. I am okay with Halogen. However, heard that the original headlights are good and spread is good, need for cornering lamp was not felt (YouTube reviewer feedback). Whether it can be fitted in Z4/Z6 or will be a costly affair with unknown/ unsure result?

Crome strips on front grill, side window line, door handles will be missing in Z4/ Z6.

There won't be any rear parking camera. Good 3rd party camera will be available. Whether those will be compatible with the type of head unit in Z4?

There will be steel rims instead of alloys (Steel is better than alloys for bad roads?). Rim size will be 17 inch instead of 18 inch.

I have a question here: many owners may be opting for AT tyres. Whether AT tyres will be available for this 245/65 R17 size easily? And what will be the effect of FE for this change to AT tyres?

Last edited by RijuC : 25th July 2022 at 11:47.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 11:51   #689
BHPian

Rear wiper/defogger is a must in India.
Coming from original baleno, the boot too most of the dust and hence did not give much importance to it while buying the delta variant of S-cross. This is the one feature I miss the most which can not add later in my S-cross. Need to keep washing the rear window regularly else will lose the rear view completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
and rear wiper/defogger. Not sure if it's worth it.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 12:06   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaypillay View Post
Went to checkout the Scorpio today, great sales support and clear explanation provided. Got a chance to test drive the Diesel MT. Since I drive the xylo, comparisons would directly be based on this, kindly bear

Few observations:
I echo most of your sentiments here, being a Xylo owner myself. I did not feel the engine point you mentioned as i was rather cautious while driving the Diesel AT available for TD, not being used to an AT setup. Felt the cabin to be comparatively silent with good insulation.

Booking will start from 30th July and deliveries are going to start from 26th Sept. I would wait for at least first 2 batches to be rolled out and the initial niggles getting addressed.

Check the cost of the accessories that you wish to fit at the dealer level and compare the price difference in Z8 and Z8L before taking that call. Doesn't make sense fiddling with your new baby even if it is done from a dealer. that's my view. Though the driver side under seat storage from Xylo is a miss and so is a hidden compartment under the co-passenger seat. Xylo E9 also comes with puddle lamps on all 4 doors which are also a miss in the Scorpio.

Haven't seen any tints on the side glass on the Z8L manual or the AT vehicle during TD. Mahindra is selling a set of window mesh as accessories as applying films will attract penalties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
Received the on road price breakup for Scorpio-N for Ahmedabad:
I was checking the Insurance price on Acko or Digit website which was coming close to 81K with all important coverage added with GST for a showroom price of 22.5 Lacs for comprehensive coverage. Why is it so high with the dealer...so much commission ? Surprisingly the cost of RTO is way cheaper in Gujarat than what it is in Mumbai. Straight saving of 2+ Lacs on the top end Z8L D AT 4x4 variant.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 25th July 2022 at 13:05. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks