Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2023, 15:27   #2176

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Mahindra Scorpio N D-AT Delivery experience

Hi everyone. I wanted to share me delivery and PDI experience while buying the scorpio n. The delivery was taken on 20th december, but posting this now as was busy.

How did we get it?

All was because of user @RaiVW. I read his post and called Dee Em Mahindra, Lajpat Nagar to check of the stock, as the showroom in Noida did not have any black Z8L, which were my priority. I had went to the showroom and was coming back when I decided to call the showroom, and thankfully they said that they had a black Z8L D-AT in stock. Went to the showroom and followed up with all the paperwork. The spokesperson said that I could take PDI on 17th.

PDI EXPERIENCE

I took my son with me to check the cars. The Team-BHP PDI guide helped a lot, and upon arriving, the car looked spotless. I checked everywhere, and the only niggle I could find was a little bit of rubber sticking out from the crease of the bonnet. The car showed it was 123km, which was a lot. Still, since there was no problem in the car, we did the payment all in cash. The car costed 25.6 Lakhs on road.

Pics of the car during PDI

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-1671032097118.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-1671032097090.jpg

Delivery

The delivery was taken on the 20th. The car was 168km driven till then. The fuel was also low, but we did get a coupon to fill it at a near petrol pump. The total cost for a full tank, which was around 5k rupees, surely seemed intimidating after driving a CNG car all these years, but nothing matches the sheer bulk of this car.

Pic of the delivery with my son.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-319014831_567872472018877_5953030055336444478_n.jpg

After a 1000kms
The car has performed exceptionally well. The ride quality and the steering is something which my friend's Fortuner can't even come close to. The average fuel economy is around 10-11 in city and 16-17 on highways. I even get 19-21 kmpl sometimes, which for a 2 tonne monster of a car, is phenomenal. There is quite a difference of power across all the three drive modes. Zip is for cruising, and this is ample power. Zap makes a noticeable difference, and it is the default mode which gets enabled whenever you start the car. In Zoom mode, the car feels altogether different. You suddenly have to grip the steering hard because of the sheer pull of the motor.
All in all, very happy with my purchase
Thank you
Ruxh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 17:15   #2177

Completed a trip from bhilai to Hyderabad and back. While going, went via interior roads to try out how it does on bad roads as most of this stretch is with under construction roadways. There were only few places where the vehicle felt like losing composure, but i chalk them up to the rubber. Ride was comfortable but a bit tiring from all the wobbling around inside the cabin. Night lighting on low beam didnt feel adequate enough though.

Mileage for the trip per adrenox was 17, which is not bad.

While coming back, it was 90% butter smooth highways. It chugged along nicely at 80-95 on cruise for most of the time. Stuck to the national highways and had zero fatigue when i reached home. Got 18.2 on MID and 17.7 on adrenox

Sad part is, at a diversion, i was hit by another car ( i was crawling behind a truck on a single lane. The other driver zoomed off and I was told by the person in the car behind me. I couldnt even feel the impact. Going to the SVC tomorrow to get it fixed up.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230103_103121.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230103_103116.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230106_170041.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_2022122800430090_67b948f2f86cc24313c3b18cabbad5d4.jpg  

blackfox is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 20:03   #2178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
Completed a trip from bhilai to Hyderabad and back. While going, went via interior roads to try out how it does on bad roads as most of this stretch is with under construction roadways. There were only few places where the vehicle felt like losing composure, but i chalk them up to the rubber. Ride was comfortable but a bit tiring from all the wobbling around inside the cabin.
The wobbling around was only on interior bad roads or even on smooth surfaces?
greenoval is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 20:52   #2179

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
The wobbling around was only on interior bad roads or even on smooth surfaces?
Only on interior bad roads where trucks had dropped gravel or other dust. I dont blame the vehicle but the tyres are not meant for those speeds on those kind of roads.
blackfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 10:00   #2180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only on interior bad roads where trucks had dropped gravel or other dust. I dont blame the vehicle but the tyres are not meant for those speeds on those kind of roads.
Feels nice to spot another member from BHILAI. Welcome.

Wishing you loads of fun with the ScorpioN.
Old 7th January 2023, 13:47   #2181
BHPian

Quote:
Got 18.2 on MID and 17.7 on adrenox

Sad part is, at a diversion, i was hit by another car.
I recently completed a long drive and completely echo what you said. I am sure you must have got many eye balls checking out the car. While the denting is sad, I am sure the workshop guys can make it disappear.

How are you getting to see fuel mileage on Adrenox app? I tried all possible settings but that parameter is not available. Is there anything I am missing or has it got to do anything with Android or iOS?
atluri_rkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 17:12   #2182
BHPian

Finally the New Years eve brought an opportunity to take out my Scorpio N to the mountains. The Christmas eve weekend gave me an idea that going to Manali, Atal tunnel, Shimla or beyond would be nothing but long queues of cars, overpriced hotels and overcrowded places.

I decided to explore a part of Himachal not a lot of tourists visit, The Chamba district.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_4175.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_4166.jpg

The trip route was from Delhi to Pathankot then heading towards Dalhousie and then taking a slip road towards chamera dam and heading to a small village named Chakloo. The place is underrated and views to die for, to my surprise not even a single tourist in this village except on 31st night, that too a couple of cars.

Now coming to the cars performance. The ODO now sits at 6000 km so the car has crossed the break in period and I stretched it as much as possible.
The car performed brilliantly on highways, high speed lane changing does not move the car even a little bit. 90-100 kmph lane changing is something this car can do all day long without tiring the driver or the passenger.

The suspension behaved brilliantly. The roads till Pathankot are buttery smooth and the suspension felt at ease, small potholes at highway speeds are swallowed effortlessly. I have experience driving the Endeavour, the suspension setup is almost there in terms of behaviour and comfort.

Coming to the fuel economy, before entering the mountains I refuelled the vehicle to get pure highway mileage. I got 16.1 kmpl from tankful method which was brilliant IMO. In the mountains it was around 12 kmpl. MID showed similar figures +/- 5%. A thing that annoyed me was whenever I parked my car on an incline or I was driving on very twisty roads, the adrenox app showed me a refuelling was done and that also changed the range of the vehicle.

Now coming to hill driving. the suspension setup again is brilliant for curvy roads given that you don't speed up much. You will definitely realise you need to go down a gear or brake at a curve to not get tossed around. Comparing it to my XUV 500 definitely I have to slow down a bit but that is definitely not a deal breaker.
Coming to what impressed me the most, the torque of the mHawk. It delivers torque in the perfect rev range. You can drive in 2nd gear on steep climbs without shifting down. I tackled all hairpin bends in the 2nd gear. During my trip After chakloo I went to Mcleodganj, my hotel was in Bhagsu on a very very steep climb. 1st gear 20 kmph 2100 rpm the car just climbed without any sort of worries. No need to Half clutch even when you come to a standstill.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_4399.jpg

Talking about hair pin bends, every steep hairpin bend on a narrow road will give you some wheel slippage. The traction control light blinked several times during this trip. You wont feel anything in the car except a tyre screech noise. But you can see the traction control light all the time.

Now being the month of December I wanted to experience some snow. I went 25 km from chakloo towards Khajjiar, the place is stunning. Beyond Khajjiar the road was closed for 2wd vehicles due to snow.

I dared to venture on the road just a couple of km later the car started to loose grip and I had to engage snow mode. That seemed to alter the traction control system and the car gripped the road brilliantly. Snow drive was really good and The car crossed patches of snow that other 4wd vehicles were struggling to cross (Isuzu dmax, scorpio last gen 4wd, and jeep compass awd). The stock 17 inch tyres performed better than I expected.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_4221.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_4223.jpg

I was travelling solo so didnt push the limits of the vehicle but yes the 4wd system performed well on proper black ice and some good snow on road.

I did some off roading on the Ravi Riverbed. There are many trails which tractors were taking to take out the silt from the river bed as part of government contracts I followed one down to the river, engaged rock mode and had loads of fun. Ground clearance is an issue I kept in mind but the experience of snow or the riverbed was something that showed me what a proper 4wd vehicle can do.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_4315.jpg

Now coming to the negatives of the drive.

It might sound weird to some but when I sit for long distances in the car my right leg rests on the door. The grab handle is shaped in such a way that there is an edge that sticks to your leg and after 12 hours of driving that edge was giving me pain and discomfort which I felt even the next day. That is an ergonomic issue and I solved it by decreasing the height of the seat to a level I am not happy with.

The BIGGER ISSUE is the boot. After you do a 10 day road trip you realise how badly the boot is designed. The space is so poorly managed and the ergonomics of the folded seat so bad that a Solo traveller was struggling for space. I cannot imagine doing a Ladakh trip with 4 people & luggage without removing the seat. There is so much space behind the seat once you tumble it and it feels like totally wasted.

Honestly I think my tata nexon can take in more luggage than this Huge SUV.

Another issue mentioned previously in the thread about android auto was happening with me as well. disconnections and sometimes the system didn't even connect. But apple carplay is sorely missed. Even the XUV 700 now has no carplay now which is strange given Mahindra has designed such brilliant cars but cant give apple carplay.

Overall glaring over the negatives the car performance is amazing. The manual gearbox is good with shifts, gear ratios set perfectly for mountains, torque is plenty and you will never feel out of power even on the steepest inclines, suspension great for on and off road usage, 4wd system performs great, traction control system for snow is very advance, Seat are comfortable for driving 12-14 hours non stop.
kushgandhi is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 10:40   #2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post

How are you getting to see fuel mileage on Adrenox app? I tried all possible settings but that parameter is not available. Is there anything I am missing or has it got to do anything with Android or iOS?
I see it in the trip log. Have not tried the ios app so cant be sure of it. Shelved plan of iphone as buggy Android auto > non existing carplay
Old 8th January 2023, 12:30   #2184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post
Finally, the New Year's Eve brought an opportunity to take out my Scorpio N to the mountains. The Christmas Eve
Thanks for sharing the observations. It is helpful for those of us waiting. Also request other owners to post their experience; especially the niggles. This will set expectations among the prospective buyers.
Old 8th January 2023, 13:07   #2185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post

Even I do not see the mileage statistics in the trip details in my IOS version of the app. All I see are:
  • Travel time
  • Top speed
  • Average speed
  • Alerts
(screenshot below)

I, too, thought I had got some settings wrong in my app. But, it looks like the IOS version of the app is not as “evolved” as its Android counterpart. Hopefully, this gets sorted out by M&M in times to come
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-014437c80809405fb530055aba2916d7.jpeg  

Old 9th January 2023, 16:06   #2186

Hi everyone, a slight problem here.

I can't figure out how to get Android Auto to work. My car was gone for service just a few days back, and I don't know if they have updates the system or not. The infotainment system doesn't show the option of android auto. What is the latest version's software version, so I can tally if it is updated or not
Ruxh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 12:27   #2187

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmuncher26 View Post

I, too, thought I had got some settings wrong in my app. But, it looks like the IOS version of the app is not as “evolved” as its Android counterpart. Hopefully, this gets sorted out by M&M in times to come
I have been filling up the fuel diary on the app as well since first fuel up. Maybe that could be a reason? Apart from this, all these seem like Mahindra being Mahindra. On the app my left door is floating away from the car and covering TPMS reading
Old 11th January 2023, 10:59   #2188
BHPian

Most of the youtube reviews are done on the Scorpio N AT version. The automatic gearbox is highly praised. Any review on the MT gearbox?
Old 11th January 2023, 17:29   #2189

Hi Everyone, I own a silver Z8L 4x4 diesel that I purchased in October and have driven over 4000 kilometres in it. Recently, I noticed some vibration on the steering wheel that comes and goes, as if the steering rod is rubbing against something.

I'm planning to take the car to the service centre to have it checked, and I was wondering if anyone else has faced a similar issue and got it resolved.

There is another issue of brake oil leaking from the left rear brake calliper, and the entire calliper assembly needs to be replaced under warranty. The SA has booked the part, but it may take a few weeks for Mahindra to get it delivered. In the meantime, I am carrying a few bottles of brake fluid (Dot4), given to me by SA, to keep refilling if the level drops below the minimum.

Don't think that I will be travelling long distances until the above issue is fixed.
Mophius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 21:58   #2190
BHPian

Quote:
I see it in the trip log. Have not tried the ios app so cant be sure of it. Shelved plan of iphone as buggy Android auto > non existing carplay
On a related note, does the fuel log inside the Adrenox Connect Fuel Diary menu get populated only if the Average Fuel Efficiency(AFE) Auto setting (in the car) is configured to either After Ignition or After Refueling?

When AFE Auto Reset is set to OFF, no entry is notified/imported to the fuel log. Without this, perhaps the trip logs also don't have the fuel related info.

Can owners kindly clarify? Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks