Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2022, 11:59   #2116
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinbie2019 View Post
Delivery

First Drive:
Did a long drive till KIA toll gate in elevated highway with 6 adults. It is pure pleasure and reassures it is a driver's car. Almost never felt lack of power. Car is installed with integrated roof carrier, that gives irritating sound in speeds over 80 with cross winds, which is expected as i had similar experience in a Audi Q5 with roof rack. Respect in road amongst innovas and tempo travellers. Coming from Ignis, it takes a second or so to take it.
Rating 5/5

Observations:
1. My Samsung S22 was heating up to uncomfortable levels when paired wirelessly.
2. Adrenox app is irritating with lot many notifications. I like to keep my phone silent.
3. As many mentioned in this thread, it is miles ahead of previous avatar Scorpio, but do not compare to XUV 700 or other monocoque SUVs.
4. Did not feel much difference in ride quality with 3 people or 6 people. which is a good thing.
5. First experience owning a 25+ lakhs car, all gadgetry looks overwhelming. I can't complain the backup cameras or music quality. But still miss 360 camera, it takes few tries to park in apartment basement.
Congratulations on getting your new car. The deep forest green suits it well. You have mentioned "Almost never felt lack of power". Was there any scenario where there the car felt slightly lacking? like quick overtakes or quick lane changes or climbing any steep elevation? (I may be nitpicking on the word 'almost'). Wishing you many happy miles of touring on your steed.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 12:31   #2117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Congratulations on getting your new car. The deep forest green suits it well. You have mentioned "Almost never felt lack of power". Was there any scenario where there the car felt slightly lacking? like quick overtakes or quick lane changes or climbing any steep elevation? (I may be nitpicking on the word 'almost'). Wishing you many happy miles of touring on your steed.
Indeed, I used the word almost in the same sense. In one occasion, I have to accelerate a bit hard to get going in steep ramp. But ScorpioN never disappointed me 99% other time. Sure will learn to adjust my style for large SUV in coming days.
vinbie2019 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 13:00   #2118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
The Z4 infotainment system is the same as that of Thar. Apple CarPlay is activated in Z4 but not yet in Z8L.
Source: https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=p3FTUq43wmk
Don't know whats cooking at M&M. They are yet to provide Android Auto to XUV7OO MX variant even after 1 year of launch. It is really disappointing to see newer cars getting the feature whereas the buyers of MX variant continuing to suffer .
Old 23rd December 2022, 10:47   #2119
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend is considering the Scorpio N and here are a few questions:

The actual TD happened just yesterday and we both were actually blown away, we loved it so much. TD car was a 7 seater Diesel MT and it was so powerful, the moment we got beyond some initial traffic on Old Madras Road, the vehicle was literally surging and begging to be driven faster! On the open highway, we got to 100 Kmph very quickly and easily and the kind of command it has is simply unbelievable, most vehicles just moved to give us way, it was that easy without even trying. There was one guy in an SX4 who was constantly waving out at the traffic signals near KR Puram, so I finally rolled the windows down when my friend was at the wheel and the guy wanted to know the variant, price, etc. We put him in touch with the SA who was seated on the third row and soon they were in touch on phone, a new lead/potential customer for the SA who was all smiles.

Steering feels light, lighter than the Tata Safari, but not as light as the XUV 500.

This is by far the biggest and most comfortable vehicle we have done a TD of so far. Loads of space for first and second row and not bad at all for the third as well.

After that TD, my friend has decided to go with the Scorpio N, but I added a new dimension to the decision making by asking him to consider the Auto transmission, so here are a few questions:
1. Will there be a major difference (passenger/driver fatigue) when on long drives, owing to the Body on Frame chassis compared to a monocoque ?

2. Z8 MT Vs Z8L MT main differences for a 2.5L premium are the audio system, front camera, driver drowsiness detection and Diamond cut alloys, but are both having 17 inch tyres ? If this is correct, I'm surprised that Z8 which is a 20+ Lakh car doesn't come with Alloys!

3. Z8 Auto
- how is the auto transmission ? Any potential issues to be aware of ? will this be a better choice compared to the MT ?
- does this actually come with 18 inchers and Diamond cut alloys ?
- are 18 inch tyres good for our Indian roads and conditions ? Should we instead consider the Z8 MT and upgrade to alloys, either Mahindra's or after market (assuming it is 17")

*From what my friend explained, it does seem like Mahindra is offering both 17" and 18" diamond cut alloys on certain models?

Most importantly, how many airbags do the Z8/Z8L come with? Is it 6 or 8? I thought it was 8 because 2 each on the A, B, C pillars and then the front driver and passenger get one each?

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd December 2022 at 18:53. Reason: As requested
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 12:47   #2120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
3. Z8 Auto
- how is the auto transmission ? Any potential issues to be aware of ? will this be a better choice compared to the MT ?
- does this actually come with 18 inchers and Diamond cut alloys ?
- are 18 inch tyres good for our Indian roads and conditions ? Should we instead consider the Z8 MT and upgrade to alloys, either Mahindra's or after market (assuming it is 17")
Manual transmission is fun, very well done in typical Mahindra fashion, However for XUV, Thar, ScorpioN - please buy AT.

Engine and transmission are really happy together, the cost difference is certainly worth it considering how long the car is going to stay, this one is a keeper. AT will also get more features related to connected car tech etc, cruise control will also work better with AT, it also keeps the NVH leves even lower, makes for a much more pleasant drive.

The 18 Inch tyres are 255 section, they were also seen on all the media test drive vehicles in the off-road course , so no worries as long as air pressure is maintained.

Test drive the Petrol AT as well as diesel even if your friend is buying only diesel - Why petrol? Just to experience the mStallion, it's good fun.

Edit : Steering should be lightest among all big vehicles , its i20 light at parking speeds but weights up nicely as the speeds increase.

Last edited by Kosfactor : 23rd December 2022 at 12:49.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 10:10   #2121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Most importantly, how many airbags do the Z8/Z8L come with? Is it 6 or 8? I thought it was 8 because 2 each on the A, B, C pillars and then the front driver and passenger get one each?
It is 6. Two front, 2 on front row seats on exterior side and 2 curtain airbags.
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 17:32   #2122

The rate for optional ESC in Z2 & Z4 (Manual) is an additional ₹50000 on the introductory price as per the Mahindra website.
Old 25th December 2022, 16:26   #2123

It will be a long read so may take some patience. It could be interesting for some, if not for all, so decided to share.
I am a 45year old QA professional in Games Industry. I drive an Alto K10 Vxi 2013, my first car that I bought second hand in 2016 (15k KM clocked in Odometer). Since then, I have travelled to Goa, Gujrat, almost all of Maharashtra, Goa, Rajasthan, Karnataka, down till Rameswaram, Kanyakumari and up top to Munsyari, Dharchula and Tehri etc. in Uttarakhand. I have driven many times between Pune to Uttarakhand, mostly solo drive 35-38 hours non-stop. My Alto is well maintained, in a good shape and has never ditched me so far on any such road trips, but Kids (8 and 11) are growing up, and they find it hard to sleep in this small one in long distances. We 4 do a road trip each year, when we travel for 10-15 days, travelling 700- 1000 KM at a stretch, so an upgrade was needed. Also, I plan it for long term so should be one taking care of feature needs as well not just the engine and performance.

When Scorpio N was announced, it caught my attention. Took a lot of time and efforts to convince my wife to even think about it as she was anti Scorpio credits to Rohit Shetty. My very first requirement was an Indian manufacturer and an SUV only, that left me with limited options. I did my research, and she did hers. She was all inclined towards Hyundai Palisade which is yet to be launched in India and wanted a AT as next car. But I finally succeeded in convincing her for Scorpio N on a condition that Alto will be hers (I agreed without second thoughts). Later, somehow, I also convinced her for MT from AT, she also drives little bit and feels the excitement when changing gears.

On the booking day, I have had multiple bookings, both online (my wife and I did separate bookings, the day booking started) as well as at my native showroom in Uttarakhand (via the SA) as I was WFH, all bookings were of Z8 Diesel MT as it was the most VFM version as per me as it covered features my wife was looking for and being a driver’s car, which suits my need. I had secured a slot under 25k as well.

I have been following the forums, FB and Twitter for long and on daily basis. I can't emphasize how hard I tried at my local showroom to get me a unit, my wife’s preferred color was Black. Was so fed up with the wait and in desperation even decided to upgrade to Z8L. Being a local, I found mutual acquaintances and friends with the showroom owner. The owner and the SA even arranged a unit for me a Z8L MT Black but in Petrol.
I was so ready for this fuel variant compromise, as I have two wheelers at both in Pune and my native, I also have a second car, so FE was not that big of a deal for me. I did the PDI was all set for next steps but had a sour incident with the M&M Finance team there. In Aug, I had booked 6.99% rate, filled form, and gave them the cheque but the executive or the manager didn't care to submit. When I was looking for a loan in Nov, I was declined the rate lock and in anger I dropped the deal.

My office is in Pune where I was back on 8th Nov for some official work, I called all the showrooms to check if any of them have a Z8L 4WD available. None of them had a 4WD (which had gotten added into my list of preferences by now). Though in my travels so far in an Alto K10, I have travelled through bad terrains, broken roads, villages, not just NH and SH, but only once during my travels my wheel got stuck in an under-construction road on way to Shirdi in yellow mud. As in future, I plan for Leh, North-East and someday winter Spiti. So, I wanted to have a somewhat capable vehicle while I am upgrading. Though, I believe it’s equally on the driver but vehicle capability always provides an edge.
All the showrooms wanted me to do a booking in Nov, so they could arrange a vehicle for me asap but no one was giving a guarantee. I told them clearly, I will no longer do any more bookings instead was looking for already available as I knew many people may not be taking deliveries in Nov/ Dec. I already had 4 bookings in my account by that time (3 for which I had paid, and 4th that my native dealer assigned to my account for which I did the PDI).

By Dec 10th I got no word from any of the showrooms, and I was getting desperate to buy an upgrade as I had a long trip coming near, by now I had explored Tata (Safari new, second hand Hexa, Compass, Fortuner and Endeavour as well). My wife turned down the idea of a second hand as next car. Tata was neither meeting 4WD requirement nor the appeal in comparison though had better audio and ventilated seats.
On 11th Dec, I called Unnati Motors again, which is near my office location and got to know that they can arrange a 4WD AT unit but in White if I am interested. I thought for an hour and gave them a go.
On 12th dec I was told the vehicle is being shipped from ‘Nashik’ and I can start working on the financial process prep if I was interested. I asked for the VIN and it was shared immediately. I was not asked for any booking or any form filling by the SA. I spoke to the showroom AGM if it is for real. I have not given a single penny and nor I am interested to before I see the vehicle, so how can I be assured that this vehicle will be allocated to my name. Also, I knew that Scorpio N is only built in Chakan as I have personally visited the manufacturing line on 2nd Oct and have seen the line. I asked the AGM how the vehicle is being shipped from Nashik when it is only built in Chakan. The AGM and SA were not sure of the manufacturing location, but AGM made some calls and found that the vehicle was shipped from Chakan, but someone had entered the branch code of Nashik in the system while shipping which created confusion, I was assured that the info is real. Same day the bank guy came to my home did loan paperwork preps.
Next day on 13th, I was told everything is set for disbursement as soon as I give a go. I called the SA and was told that the vehicle has arrived at their stockyard, and I can take a look. I went there and it was all dirty with bird droppings from the outside and appeared as if was there for a while. The manufacturing was of Nov 30th, I instructed to get it cleaned so I can do the PDI.
On 14th Dec it was all washed, I completed the PDI, vehicle had 58KM on the odometer, I visited the showroom the same evening and gave a go for disbursement. The vehicle was officially allocated on my name, I received the SMS and it started reflecting on Mahindra portal too.
On 15th Dec, loan amount was disbursed, on 16th I visited the showroom, paid for by down payment (Tax, Insurance and Ceramic). Ceramic was agreed on for 20k (3-year warranty) including underbody and 2 additional coats every six month. Insurance was 100k initially, I gave a quote of 65k (including PA, Consumables, Engine protection, Invoice price, Tyre protector, Key and Lock) SA said he will match it, later he got it done everything at 61K.
I visited the service station and bought 4 accessories (7D Floor Mat, Anti-Theft bolts, Sunshade and Mud Flaps) compared the quality of all from outside before deciding to go for Mahinda accessories (paid Rs 600 above online price for fitting).
Post 16th the weekend was there so RTO process only started on 19th Dec and number was assigned on 22nd Dec and I took the delivery on 23rd Dec. on 24th Dec Mahindra executive took appointment and came home to give walkthrough on all the features.
Almost everything went seamless so far except that the software update seems is not done. Mahindra execute who visited home says after seeing the Infotainment, I am not sure what is missing there.

I am still in observant mode and had my first learning. When ignition is switched on, apparently its needed that the infotainment system should be allowed to boot before the vehicle is started else the infotainment system hang and will top taking any inputs. The solution is, that battery needs to be reset to bring infotainment system back to working. When the executive came it appears somehow I had already glitched it the previous night and he fixed it for me.

My odometer is just 125KM so far, I am headed for a long tour tomorrow roughly 4K+ KM, will see how it goes and will share upon return.
HighRider is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 23:46   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRider View Post

My odometer is just 125KM so far, I am headed for a long tour tomorrow roughly 4K+ KM, will see how it goes and will share upon return.
Honestly feels like reading a fairy tale!

Glad that at least you have the big daddy now with you.

Wish you a happy mile munching!!
geekyengineer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 04:30   #2125

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyengineer View Post
Honestly feels like reading a fairy tale!

Glad that at least you have the big daddy now with you.

Wish you a happy mile munching!!
I have named it 'Airavat'
Old 26th December 2022, 11:27   #2126
BHPian

Scorpio N petrol trips do not show mileage as it shows in diesel variants. It’s a flaw or Mahindra deliberately omitted this important feature?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-e790a4186d15429faa3c7ed1c901db4f.png  

Old 26th December 2022, 11:46   #2127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindtayal View Post
Scorpio N petrol trips do not show mileage as it shows in diesel variants. It’s a flaw or Mahindra deliberately omitted this important feature?
If you’re asking for the Fuel Economy figures, then the Petrol variant just like the rest of the variants shows the figure after every trip. Attaching a picture from my AdrenoX for the same.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-0f41b7e2a3ef4342a7a44026d757a5c2.jpeg

Regards,
Shrey
Old 26th December 2022, 11:49   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey1230 View Post
If you’re asking for the Fuel Economy figures, then the Petrol variant just like the rest of the variants shows the figure after every trip. Attaching a picture from my AdrenoX for the same.

Attachment 2394240

Regards,
Shrey
Your scorpio N is petrol variant?

If petrol variants can show mileage , then what settings I need to do at my end to make it work? As I can’t see mileage in my AdrenoX connect app. Mine is Scorpio N Z8 L Petrol
Mine is iPhone, hope the app feature is not different for android and Apple.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th December 2022 at 09:30. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Old 27th December 2022, 00:41   #2129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindtayal View Post
If petrol variants can show mileage , then what settings I need to do at my end to make it work? As I can’t see mileage in my AdrenoX connect app. Mine is Scorpio N Z8 L Petrol
Mine is iPhone, hope the app feature is not different for android and Apple.
I purchased an XUV AX5 diesel manual in July and installed Adrenox on an Android phone and the interface is similar to what Shrey 1230 posted above. I switched to Apple recently and the interface remained the same. My FIL took AX5 diesel auto on 15th and installed Adrenox on an Android phone and his interface looks similar to your screenshot above. Note that my shift to Apple happened after his purchase. My guess is that the difference is coming from Auto vs. Manual. Not sure why some one at M&M whould implement these differences!
Old 27th December 2022, 11:15   #2130
BHPian

I went for a drive last week on Sunday. I was amazed by the Scorpio N behaved on the highways and on ghat section. I was enjoying the drive, but towards the evening there was heavy rain. While driving my Scorpio N in the rain, droplets of water fell on my feet from above the accelerator pedal. I thought may be I was just imagining but after few more drops of rain water started seeping in then I realized that somehow water is making it's way into the driver side footwell. I was very dissappointed, with a brand new car how water can seep inside the car. I captured the droplets on the accelerator pedal and sent it to my service advisor. The niggles of my Scorpion N has started. I don't know how many more niggles that I might have to face in the future. Then I pacified myself saying that afterall Mahindra is a tractor company.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20221227-11.07.49.jpeg  

sabsubs is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks