Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2022, 12:41   #736
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post
1. Marazzo (but diesel and DPF related issues nag me especially when my parents are not auto experts at all)
As far as I know, all Mahindra diesel vehicles come with 'manual DPF regen' - ie., we can trigger DPF-regen without the help of any technicians or going to ASS. All you need to do is to park the vehicle in a well ventilated area, start the engine, change the gear to neutral and trigger 'DPF-Regen' from MID.

I've confirmed that XUV300 and XUV700 comes with this option, so Marazzo should have it too.

This is a less known, but extremely helpful feature in Mahindra cars - if I'm not wrong, in India only Mahindra and Toyota give us the option to do DPF-regen on our own.
vnm008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 13:10   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Mahindra Scorpio Classic interior and exterior pictures.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-d7f23167d19c4c3a89a238406d62a426.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-b77bc4d0440d489bab5278da89c41a46.jpeg

As new classic alloy design shown by fellow bhpian.
Is it just me or they look way better and tougher than the alloys on the N?

For me who is looking for an alloy upgrade for the Z8 MT 4WD. I find this a much better option. Hope the width of the alloy can fit the 245 section tyre and hopefully they price it well as compared to the absurd 16,800 for the 17 inch alloy of the scorpio N.
Old 27th July 2022, 13:37   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnm008 View Post
This is a less known, but extremely helpful feature in Mahindra cars - if I'm not wrong, in India only Mahindra and Toyota give us the option to do DPF-regen on our own.
That is correct but please note that manual DPF regeneration can be triggered only when the system allows you to (possibly, post a particular Particulate Matter deposition threshold) and not at user's whim.
cool_dube is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 14:29   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
If it's for your parents, do check ingress and egress very carefully. It's a high vehicle and you need sidesteps and grab handles to get in/out. Also check the body roll in the back seat. It has improved leaps and bounds over the outgoing model, but that doesn't mean it's an ideal car for being chauffered around.

Scorpio N's target audience seems to be young brats who mostly drive alone or with a sidekick, Gujjar proudly written on the back, who want to make a big impression.

It may not be ideal for elderly folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
If it is primarily for your parents, then you should definitely check it out physically even before having ScorpioN in your list.

I took my parents to the showroom to see the ScorpioN. They had a hard time climbing into it and even experienced some pain in the body. It was a deal breaker for me then and there. Even the SA suggested we better have a look at XUV7OO instead of ScorpioN for the elderly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
I was about to say the same thing that if it's for elderly, ScorpioN is not the vehicle for you. Hector plus, XL6, Alcazar, Carens, Safari are the options which will suit your needs for a 7 seater and even the XUV7OO. Ingress and Egress should be lot easier in these vehicles. Doctors used to recommend WagonR for elderly patients or those with back pain issues as you just sit in it like you sit on a chair at home. don't have to stoop or climb in it.
Thanks for all your feedback. Yes, this is another one of my concerns as I have seen multiple people on the forum mention the same. Again, I intend to check it out in person with my parents very soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
For a vehicle capable of off-roading, the sliding mechanism might have faced sliding forces thereby inducing noises or play at a later date or even reducing the sliding effectiveness. Though sliding would have helped to improve the leg room at the rear, it would rather turn out to be a maintenance issue in the long run.
I had an interesting conversation with the SA from the local dealership. Knowing my use case, he mildly mentioned that ingress/egress could be an issue for the elderly and was pushing me towards the XUV700 as a better option, without being forceful on the issue. He also commented on the lack of 3rd row space which is better in the XUV700. I appreciated his honesty and genuine feedback. And then I asked him about the lack of sliders for the 2nd row, and his response was exactly the same as yours. He said, being a 4WD vehicle meant for off-roading, the sliding mechanism will tend to develop a play after a while of use/abuse which will then raise a safety issue where the seats dont lock in place and could lead to injuries during sharp braking. Wasnt sure whether to believe or disbelieve him, but he may have a point. I wonder if there are other 4WD BOF vehicles that have a sliding 2nd row.

Quote:
As far as I know, all Mahindra diesel vehicles come with 'manual DPF regen' - ie., we can trigger DPF-regen without the help of any technicians or going to ASS. All you need to do is to park the vehicle in a well ventilated area, start the engine, change the gear to neutral and trigger 'DPF-Regen' from MID.

I've confirmed that XUV300 and XUV700 comes with this option, so Marazzo should have it too.

Thankyou. This is very valuable info and does relieve the stress quite a bit. i read a similar post from DBHPian RavenAvi where his XUV700 recently developed a DPF related issue and apparently was guided by a tech from Mahindra on how to overcome this manually via the instrument cluster options.
akannath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 15:38   #740
BHPian

I think the Z2 (petrol) makes the most sense for those on a budget. I was earlier leaning towards Z4, but the >1.5 lakh premium doesn't seem to be worth it. I have divided the extra equipment in Z4 into 4 buckets:

ESSENTIAL. WILL HAVE TO LIVE WITHOUT IT
1 Seat height adjust + lumbar support
2 rear wiper washer demister

ESSENTIAL. CAN BE FITTED LATER
1 electric adjust ORVM
2 side footsteps
3 A-pillar grab handles

PURELY COSMETIC. CAN BE FITTED LATER IF REQD
1 ski rack
2 rear spoiler
3 wheel cover
4 silver color front grille

NOT ESSENTIAL (for me)
1 2nd row ac vent module
2 cooled glove box
3 activated carbon filter
4 android auto (wired)
5 cruise steering control
6 USB charge c port (second row)
7 Anti-pinch driver window
8 Sunglass holder

The >1.5 lakh savings should easily cover the aftermarket additions and leave enough for some decent alloys and a few months worth of petrol. At under 14 lakh OTR, Z2 is not bad value. The poor mileage will also not pinch so much considering the lower initial outgo. And I believe Z2 will have the best resale value as well.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th July 2022 at 18:26. Reason: Capitalisation
naru80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 15:39   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I presume even the FM Gurkha has the same feature.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 16:08   #742
BHPian

Quote:
All diesel BS6 vehicles clears soot with this process only. Please find the below from Tata Safari manual. In FM Gurkha they have made this DPF regeneration in a different way and it eliminated the need to ADBLUE in them.

"The lamp blinks constantly to indicate that the DPF needs to eliminate the trapped pollutants (particulate matter) through the regeneration process, it therefore does not indicate a malfunction. The lamp remains off during the entire DPF regeneration and it lamp up only when driving conditions require the driver to be notified. To switch off the lamp, keep the car running until regeneration is complete (ideally at 3rd gear, 60 kmph. with engine speed over 2000 rpm). The process normally takes about 20 minutes.

Note: Failure to obey the correct procedure for long distance when the DPF lamp comes ON can cause the warning lamp (MIL) to come ON. In that case, please contact nearest TATA authorized service center to restore correct DPF operation."

Last edited by Aditya : 27th July 2022 at 21:30. Reason: Typo, spacing
Old 27th July 2022, 16:31   #743
BHPian

XUV500 owner removes Scorpio N from Cart

After repeated mental analysis post the price announcements for the AT+4WD variants, I have reluctantly deleted the Scorpio N from the Cart.

Being a 2015 facelift XUV500 owner there seem to be a lot of minor compromises that kept adding up to make the new Scorpio N a less practical vehicle for longer road trips and family use. And doing a comparison between my XUV500 W10 with the Z8, there doesn't seem to be enough value to justify an expenditure of around 15 lakhs.

What the Scorpio N brings to the table -
Modern chassis and engineering.
Safer (most likely)
Better drivetrain options (with slightly better performance)
Ride quality seemed slightly better
Better headlights
Dual zone A/C

Quality of life misses in the Scorpio N -
Dual glovebox storage space (used often)
Central storage above Infotainment (used for storage during road trips)
Dual section armrest storage w/cooling (used to keep wallet/coins and keep likes of chocolates cool in the summer heat)
Front and middle row 12v socket (used for multiple dual USB chargers for various gadgets during long road trips)
Flat luggage space
Accessible bottle holders in the rear doors. Used often even during city drives with family.

As it turns out there are no significant gains from the Driver's seat, but there are a lot of compromises for family use. Add to that the prime reason for considering the Scorpio N was 4x4 availability, the excessive premium for 4x4 was the final nail in the coffin to the Scorpio N dream.

As much as it would be nice to drive home a shiny new car, I don't feel it would be a logical/practical decision to upgrade to a Scorpio N without AT + 4x4.

Also, a quick browse on Olx throws up some interesting options with 2-4 year old vehicles in the 20-25 lakh bracket. Some food for thought!
ask99 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 17:08   #744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
That is correct but please note that manual DPF regeneration can be triggered only when the system allows you to (possibly, post a particular Particulate Matter deposition threshold) and not at user's whim.
Yea thats true. I thought why would someone even try to do that when the system doesn't complain, so didn't mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I presume even the FM Gurkha has the same feature.
Nice to know. Ideally all BS6 diesel vehicles should have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk_kapoor View Post
All diesel B6 vehicles clears soot with this process only. Please find the below from Tata Safari manual. In FM Gurkha they have made this DPF regeneration in a different way and it eliminated the need to ADBLUE in them.
Safari manual says you have to drive the car and keep the engine rev above 2000 rpm. But in case of Mahindra cars, all you need to do is, just park somewhere and trigger maual-DPF-Regen through MID. Vehicle will automatically run above 2000 rpm in idle state for the required amount of time and clear the soot.
Advantage is, when you are in places where you can't go for long drives easily (like when you live in hilly areas or cities like Bangalore), this feature is a life saver. In case of Safari/Seltos/Creta etc if you can't go for long rides, you need to visit service center to trigger 'manual DPF-Regen'.

I think even XUV300 and Marazzo doesn't require ad-blue (checked an year ago, so I could be wrong)
vnm008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 17:40   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
The costing mathematics is:

INR 5000/- saved due to omission of 12 VDC 180 Watt charging socket in the front console and elsewhere (and a higher rated fuse on board, higher electronics rating) + Auto IRVM+ ZYZ common features expected in ~ 2 million INR car X 24 months (waiting period) X 6000 units per month production capacity= 720 million INR saved.

For a car buyer with purchasing power of 20-25 million INR, 5000/- price increase is almost next to nothing. However, for the manufacturing company it is a huge sum of money saved.
If Mahindra reads this message their reaction would be like:
Attached Images

sulliavi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 17:55   #746
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: XUV500 owner removes Scorpio N from Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post

As it turns out there are no significant gains from the Driver's seat, but there are a lot of compromises for family use. Add to that the prime reason for considering the Scorpio N was 4x4 availability, the excessive premium for 4x4 was the final nail in the coffin to the Scorpio N dream.
XUV5OO`s practicality is not there in 7OO or Scorpio, IIRC XUV5OO also has an Australian NCAP safety rating. So there is no need for an upgrade as such for now. It is a very good vehicle, much easier to drive than pretty much anything else in its size - barring the 7OO of course.

However lets look at what is going to be sold mostly, 2WD MT Diesels.

Name:  Scorp comparison.JPG
Views: 1540
Size:  38.1 KB

It does not look all that expensive and the basic 4x4 is available at 20L anyways, which is much cheaper than Scorpio S11 4x4 (now not available).
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 19:24   #747
BHPian

Quote:
I think the Z2 (petrol) makes the most sense for those on a budget. I was earlier leaning towards Z4, but the >1.5 lakh premium doesn't seem to be worth it. I have divided the extra equipment in Z4 into 4 buckets:

ESSENTIAL. WILL HAVE TO LIVE WITHOUT IT
1 Seat height adjust + lumbar support

ESSENTIAL. CAN BE FITTED LATER
1 electric adjust ORVM
2 side footsteps
3 A-pillar grab handles

PURELY COSMETIC. CAN BE FITTED LATER IF REQD
1 ski rack
2 rear spoiler
3 wheel cover
4 silver color front grille
When i looked at this list, specifically the "CAN BE FITTED LATER" thing, I looked at your location which, as expected, came out to be NCR There are many videos on YT where people in and around Delhi have converted AX3 to AX7 and i was watching one of the videos last night. Delhi auto market has hell lot of such options and quality ones at that in the after market space. So you have that option to select a lower trim and then tank it up as per choice and requirement...just ensure you check on the warranty clauses when doing such upgrades.
Old 27th July 2022, 23:27   #748
BHPian

Quote:

Wiper can be fitted if you are ok to get a hole drilled in rear gate.It is very common practise in NCR and I have seen many YT videos.I am also an owner of XUV700 base model but don't have the heart to do it.

What I will suggest is not to add everything at once, but keep adding accessories at regular intervals and refreshing the look and feel of the car.
Old 28th July 2022, 00:24   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaddibuddy View Post
I am also an owner of XUV700 base model
A few questions about the base model:

Have you felt the lack of ESP in such a big vehicle?

What mods have you done so far?

What's the feature from higher models that you miss the most?

Would you recommend base models to others?

Thanks

Unlike XUV700, it looks like the interiors will not be a whole lot different in base and higher spec Scoripo N. The touchscreen size is the same (though without Adrenox). Maybe that's why they are not releasing lower trim images this time. If the dash is similar across trims, higher variants lose some charm.

Last edited by naru80 : 28th July 2022 at 00:26.
Old 28th July 2022, 00:37   #750
BHPian

I have been following this thread keenly from it’s inception. I have visited Sireesh Auto, Silk Board a couple of weekends back. I am sharing my observations after my membership got approved.

They were offering a short drive for the petrol MT vehicle. Diesel MT was not available for Scorpio-N. I liked the short drive of around 2KMs. The vehicle had around 600Kms in the Odometer.

We have enough information in this thread about the ride quality and other feature related aspects. Hence I am not going into those details.
I am trying to list down those points which have held me back from finalizing my decision. Our parents visit us occasionally, hence my primary requirement is to accommodate 4 adults and 2 kids.

1. The 3rd row sitting is uncomfortable for adults. I am 5' 8" and was not able to sit properly. My knees got pressed against the second row backrest and somehow managed to sit there. 3rd row is ideal for kids and shorter frame adults.
2. Missing AC vents in 3rd row, although not a deal breaker. 2nd row passengers might complain if AC is operated at lower temperatures to cater to 3rd row passengers.
3. Boot floor is uneven and with 3rd row tumbled, it consumes some considerable amount of space in the boot.
4. With missing split fold option in 3rd row it will be difficult to travel with 6 passengers and some luggage.(roof rack might help)
5. Coverage of Curtain airbags till the 3rd row.

Based on the above points I have ended up in a state of confusion after the first visit. I have planned to check XUV7OO once before I take a final call.
Although I have added Z8 Diesel MT in the cart but final decision is pending.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks