Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2024, 15:14   #3496
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubh001 View Post
Hi ,
There is a minor pull on the left side at high speeds .Alignment was done twice but still at high speed have to hold the steering tight from right hand .

Diesel A 4wd
Have you checked the tyre wear? Check the tyre wear. Look for any uneven patterns because that could be causing the issue. If the tyre is new and you find uneven patterns, make sure the wheel balancing and alignment are done correctly, maybe try a different place for that. Also, have the suspension system checked for any signs of wear or damage.
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 15:49   #3497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Looks like there are a few recalls for most MYs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk600 View Post
Agreed. I received a call from Sireesh Auto Bangalore.
And meanwhile Mahindra website said all OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
yet he got similar phone call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sourov View Post
The jobs which were mentioned by nerd1200 were also done apart from the above replacements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templeoflou View Post
Thanks to your post that i called up my SA and he confirmed a recall for mine as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KumarS View Post
Today I checked with SA and there are 5 service action for my Z6 D AT.
Could you please share if there is any noticeable change in the behaviour of the engine after the EMS ECU flashing? Especially for the petrol engine.
I couldn't take mine to the service centre yet, so a bit curious.
Old 11th April 2024, 20:29   #3498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sourov View Post
Last week got a call from my service manager that my May’23 Z8 4wd AT is part of a recall.
Visited the service station and got the work done on Saturday. Apart from replacing the overrun alternator decoupler and some bolts they also did ECU flashing.
Post this I am feeling the car’s acceleration has become very linear and it has lost some of the punch . I am not sure if this is my feeling or it has happened practically, if anyone also has been part of this recall can you confirm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT_GT View Post
Could you please share if there is any noticeable change in the behaviour of the engine after the EMS ECU flashing? Especially for the petrol engine.
I couldn't take mine to the service centre yet, so a bit curious.

Hello Folks,

I am Sidharth, I own a Scorpio N Z4 D AT manufactured in August 2023. I took delivery in December and I have clocked 3300 Kms so far. I visited Shiva Auto Sahibabad service center today for a noise issue that seems to have emerged in the last 3 weeks or so. The noise is origination from the front right dashboard over rough/uneven roads - the infamous KAD KAD noise. After a lot of checks the dealership came to the conclusion that the whole dashboard needs to be opened to identify the exact spot from where this noise is coming. I refused because it's still a relatively new car and I know the fit and finish of the dashboard once they reinstall will never match the factory fit.

Now coming to your post - I was told by service advisor that I have recalls for my car. Note that nobody from Mahindra or dealership had contacted me so for to bring my vehicle in for the repairs so it was pure luck. Please see screenshot for what was changed as part of the recall. Now coming to the ECU flashing update - I can tell you that the acceleration seems more linear and yes to some extent it seems to have lost its punch. But it feels more refined. I will keep you posted on the engine's performance as I drove more in the coming time.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-70106.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20240330-16.30.43_557c5b0d.jpg  

sidkeenlearner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 20:46   #3499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT_GT View Post
Mine is a Diesel, and I do not notice any difference in engine. Except my mileage meter resets on its own, without any fuel intake!
mk600 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 23:26   #3500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkeenlearner View Post
Hello Folks,

I am Sidharth, I own a Scorpio N Z4 D AT manufactured in August 2023. I took delivery in December and I have clocked 3300 Kms so far. I visited Shiva Auto Sahibabad service center today for a noise issue that seems to have emerged in the last 3 weeks or so. The noise is origination from the front right dashboard over rough/uneven roads - the infamous KAD KAD noise. After a lot of checks the dealership came to the conclusion that the whole dashboard needs to be opened to identify the exact spot from where this noise is coming. I refused because it's still a relatively new car and I know the fit and finish of the dashboard once they reinstall will never match the factory fit.

Now coming to your post - I was told by service advisor that I have recalls for my car. Note that nobody from Mahindra or dealership had contacted me so for to bring my vehicle in for the repairs so it was pure luck. Please see screenshot for what was changed as part of the recall. Now coming to the ECU flashing update - I can tell you that the acceleration seems more linear and yes to some extent it seems to have lost its punch. But it feels more refined. I will keep you posted on the engine's performance as I drove more in the coming time.

Update after driving 10+ Kms - Ignoring the KAD KAD noise, lets talk engine performance. I feel its superior - I know its subjective! Caution: I realize now the ECU update was more towards the Airbag issue so that alone couldn't impact engine performance. So what can - The Pully thing. When the replacement pully was being installed I went to visit my car in the workshop and I could see it was a part that was connected to the engine.

So what before? I was new to automatic so I complained a lot about upshifting at high RMPs and all! But, I always felt myself pushing the car to UPREV and this resulted in too much of engine grunt - read resistance to pull. So I made up the impression that the engine took a bit of strain to upshift.

After - It feels in place. Yes - It has impressive power n torque on paper so folks could normally think it pulls - but at what level of resistance? This resistance seems to have calmed a bit. It feels relaxed at 1800-2000 RMP range, whereas otherwise at this range the engine sounded louder.

So if I ignore the KAD KAD noise and try to explain the dynamics of the engine - I feel it is better - Period. Mileage has improved but I wouldn't attest given I covered less distance.

I hope I could enjoy my ride without this noise!
Old 13th April 2024, 18:39   #3501
Senior - BHPian

Its been almost 6 months since "Gabbar" my Scorpio N S8 L Diesel 4 WD Manual Transmission came home.

My garage had a 2015 Safari Storme and a Figo Diesel. A few years ago the National Green Tribunal restricted the life of diesel vehicles to 10 years in Delhi NCR to deal with the pollution. What difference this decision made to the air quality can be debated till cows come home but it did cause a lot of heart burn to Diesel Car owners who faced the prospect of having to let go their lovingly maintained rides which were in perfect condition.

However, much I may have disliked the thought of having to let my Safari Storme go, there was not much I could do about it. So in around end 2022 I started thinking of a possible replacement.

If your criterion is a Box On Frame SUV with 4 WD, you lave very limited choice. The vehicles in the fray were the Toyota Fortuner, Mahindra Thar and the Scorpio.

Since my Storme was 2015 model, I had quiet a bit of time in my hands. I just loved the Thar. It has a an ageless Classical design and the new Thar was much improved over its predecessor. The only limiting factor was the size . This vehicle is not for long road-trips with 4 people and their luggage. This is something we regularly do so despite the Thar pulling at the heart strings, the head prevailed.

Next in line was the Fortuner. This vehicle has huge road presence and is mechanically very capable. Added to it is the legendry Toyota reliability and fantastic resale value. On the negative side, it costs a bomb. Investing almost Rs 5 million in a vehicle, which I would not be able to use for more than 8-9 years in Delhi NCR didn't make any sense.

Around this time Mahindra confirmed that they were planning to launch a 5 door version of the Thar. It was news to my ears and I eagerly started waiting for the 5 door Thar.

In August 2022, Mahindra launched the Scorpio N and it was an instant hit with the waiting period extending to over 1 year. Sometime later in the year, they announced the price for 4 WD variants.

On one March 2023 Sunday morning, I accompanied by my Son visited the Mahindra Concept Motors Showroom in Noida and checked out the Scorpio N S4 , 4 WD manual and joined the long list of people who had booked it. The wait period was over a year. The idea was that I will join the booking queue and wait for the Thar 5 door launch in August 23 . If I liked the new 5 door Thar, i would cancel the Scorpio N booking and book the Thar, else I would wait for the Scorpio N delivery.

A couple of weeks later I took my wife to have a look at the Scorpio N. While my wife liked the vehicle, she was not ok with the variant which to her was too basic. She reasoned since we planned to keep the vehicle for 8-9 years, it will be a better idea to book a higher variant. I concurred and changed my booking to Scorpio N S8 4 WD Manual.

Mahindra had a huge order book of the SUV 700, Thar and the Scorpio N and decided to focus on fulfilling the demand for these 3 products rather than launching a new vehicle. This was not what I wanted as it meant that I would have to wait longer for the 5 door Thar.

Come October 2023, the air pollution started to go up again and the CAQM mandarins like the year before, banned BS IV Diesels from the roads. Since both my vehicles were BS IV Diesels, I was was in a quandary. I commute from Noida to Delhi Airport every day and the prospect of using a cab or metro was not at all appealing.

..to be continued.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th April 2024 at 18:41.
rajneeesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 18:39   #3502
Senior - BHPian

..Continued.

I called my service advisor and checked the delivery wait time for the Scorpio N. He told me that Mahindra was producing a large number of the S8 L variants and I could take the delivery of the vehicle in 1-2 weeks if I was open to changing my booking to S8 L variant and was ok to change the color from Deep Forest to Silver.

Earlier in September, Mahindra had rejigged the pricing of the variants. They had increased the price of the S8 and reduced the same for S8 L. The additional kit like alloy wheels in S8 L manual 4 WD made the proposition attractive. the immediate delivery also meant that I would not have to worry about any future price increase. I bit the bullet, and on October 24, 2023 on the auspicious Dussehra day, I took delivery of Scorpio N S8 L Manual 4 WD Diesel which was christened as "Gabbar" by my elder son.

The pros and cons.

Pros:

1) A good engine and gear box combination.
2) Space for 4-5 people + luggage. ( though the interior space is significantly lesser than the Storme.
3) Feature rich and good safety kit . 5 Star safety rating , 6 airbags, ESP, Hill-hold make it reassuringly safe. The reversing and forward cameras are useful especially in cramped parking lots
4) Good NVH .
5) Good ICE by Sony
6) Lots of modern day creature comforts like Car play, Alexa, Sun-roof, TPMS
7) Mahindra after Sales network is better than Tata
8) Front facing 3rd row seats with seat- belts are more practical than Storme's jump-seats in normal city conditions

The cons:

1) The seating position is good but is inferior to the Storme's commanding driver's seating position

2) Smaller door pockets
3) A very small glove box.
4) Space for the 2nd row is lower than that provided in the Storme. I cannot place an Ice box on the floor in front of the 2nd row centre seat as I could do in the Storme. This was a big plus on long road trips.
5) limited luggage seat even when the third row is folded. The folded seat takes considerable boot space. Will have to explore removing the 3rd row seats on really long road trips to liberate more boot space.
6) I find the absence of ventilated seats a big miss. These are especially useful NCR.

Living with Gabbar:

Unlike, the Automatic and the 2 WD variants which come with 18 inch alloy wheels, the S8 L Manual 4 WD comes with 17 inch alloy wheels. (the S 8 has steel wheels). The OEM tyres were Bridgestone 245 HT's. I had been using Continental Cross Contact AT's on the Storme and was pretty happy with them. The first stop that Gabbar made out of the Koncept Noida Showroom was at Tyre Shoppe Noida. Here I switched to Continental Cross Contact AT Tyres after trading in the stock tyres. These tyres don't come in 245 mm and I had to upgrade to 265 mm. I am pretty satisfied with these tyres. They have proven to be pretty silent and offer good grip. Other than the tyres, I went in for PPF treatment. Since I didn't want to spend too much, I got the front and rear bumpers, and the hood covered with PPF. ( 6 panels in all). Car Spa Noida, which is a sister concern of Tyre Shoppe Noida did the PPF work. Scruff plates and door mats were the only other accessories purchased by me ( Sector 16 Notor Market Noida).

I have spent a little less than 6 months with the vehicle. It is now my daily runner and does duties in the urban jungle with bumper to bumper to bumper traffic compared to the highways and the uncharted lands where i would like to spend more time. I have clocked a shade over 6800 Km in this period.

In the city, the SUV is a breeze. The electric power steering makes it easy to maneuver in traffic while the cameras help during parking. This is especially useful as my new office has basement parking with narrow ramps, and the stacked parking system barely leaves a couple of inches clearance on both sides. The visibility from the driver's seat is good though not in the same league as the Storme which has a lower dashboard and a higher seat. The vehicle SUV has great road presence and the two wheelers and the auto rickshaws give way and maintain a respectable distance.

The gear box is pretty slick with relatively short throws. The Dog eared reverse gear took a little bit of getting used to. The Scorpio N makes a decent amount of torque at relatively low rpm. As a result, the initial acceleration is good and the vehicle is able to run at higher gears than my Figo or the Storme especially in the city. You can move into 4th gear at 4o KPH and the 6th gear can be employed at 6o KPH.

The trip meter shows an average speed of 22 KPH in the city. On bad days or should I say evenings, it drops to below 20 KPH. I have done a few highway trips in the last 2 months. The longer one was to Amritsar and shorter one to Dehradun. Due to the road closures, on Amritsar route, I had to take detours from internal village roads. this added significantly to the travel time. I have touched 120 KPH although i generally don't exceed 100 KPH even on the highways. Gabbar has returned over 14 KPL over 6800 Km of driving. The DEF gauge shows the DEF levels at 42 %. This is a pretty decent fuel efficiency for a vehicle of this size and weight. It may fall a bit in summers with greater usage of the AC but I am very satisfied with the fuel average.

The ICE is pretty advanced ( in comparison with the Storme). The Car Play works well but I have had a few instances of it not latching on or disconnecting in the last 2 weeks. These instances were few for the first 5 months but have gone up in the last 2 weeks. Turning the vehicle off and restating it after some time cures this issue. Another issue that has started irritating me in the last few weeks is the push button start. I have to crank the vehicle a couple of times to start the engine. I have been driving a Ford Figo which also has a push button start for the last four and a half years and have not faced any such issues. The engine can also stall if you are not careful at low speeds. I would request other Scorpio N user's to share if they have faced any such issues. I do plan to visit the service Centre over the week end to have the vehicle checked.

Other than these small irritants, I have enjoyed driving Gabbar. I aim to do a lot more Highway driving and take the vehicle to hills and deserts where I can put the 4 WD to use. It is probable the last of a dying breed as more and more manufacturers abandon the body on frame architecture in favour of monocoque bodies and move to petrol/ electric power trains.

I have limited photography skills so please excuse the absence of any photographs. I intend to keep updating this thread from time to time . So siggning off till the next update.
rajneeesh is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 20:03   #3503
BANNED

^@Rajneeesh, interesting write-up. I have driven the Storme 4x2 variant once in a wedding barat for around 800 km total and I was completely blown away by the space and comfort it offered. In terms of comfort, it was miles ahead of our 2010 Fortuner 4wd. What is your take on the topic of comfort when you compare your Gabbar to your Storme?
Amrit@wheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 08:55   #3504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Its been almost 6 months since "Gabbar" my Scorpio N Z8 L Diesel 4 WD Manual Transmission came home.

My garage had a 2015 Safari Storme and a Figo Diesel.
Big congratulations on Gabbar!

If you were to compare ride quality of Scorpio-N with Safari Storme and Figo then how would you rate it. Please share your observations on ride quality as whole by Scorpio-N w.r.t concrete roads and badly laid uneven surface roads.
Old 15th April 2024, 13:46   #3505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
I have driven the Storme 4x2 variant once in a wedding barat for around 800 km total and I was completely blown away by the space and comfort it offered. In terms of comfort, it was miles ahead of our 2010 Fortuner 4wd. What is your take on the topic of comfort when you compare your Gabbar to your Storme?
Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
Big congratulations on Gabbar!

If you were to compare ride quality of Scorpio-N with Safari Storme and Figo then how would you rate it. Please share your observations on ride quality as whole by Scorpio-N w.r.t concrete roads and badly laid uneven surface roads.
So I own a Storme 4x2 and was planning on buying a Scorpio N as a replacement for it and took numerous test drives in Mumbai urban as well as suburban and broken roads and here is what my thought is.
  • The ride quality of Storme is miles ahead of the Scorpio-N. In the Storme, nothing sharp comes into the cabin at any speed whereas in the Scorpio-N I could feel the road a LOT. Worst was that even my wife and mother who are not car enthusiasts could feel that the ride is very jerky at city speeds.
  • The power steering of Scorpio-N is very good and very light in comparison to a Storme. You can easily zip through traffic which you cannot in a Storme. Although I was not able to verify, but when the car tilts in a turn the steering of the Storme weighs up beautifully and recentering force becomes stronger which lets you know the limitations of the vehicle. Was not able to test it on Scorpio-N but not sure if EPS can give such a feedback.
  • One very peculiar observation I had was that in the Storme, it has 2 AC vents near the middle row centre console, and apart from that it has a TOP mounted AC unit as well. My family that sits in the rear of the Storme become very uncomfortable with the cold air hitting their knees and keep those vents shutdown for most parts and use the top mounted AC unit. But since Scorpio-N has just 2 bottom vents for the entire rear portion, not sure how uncomfortable it might be for the folks with cold air continuously hitting their knees.
  • My mother, aunt, mother-in-law, cousin sister, all have knee problems and climbing into a Storme is a struggle. I have a collapsible Stool kept under my seat which I take out and offer them to use it to get onto the side-step or directly into the car. In comparison, the floor of the Scorpio-N is lower making Ingress and egress a lot easier.
puneetakhouri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 10:36   #3506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
^@Rajneeesh, interesting write-up. I have driven the Storme 4x2 variant once in a wedding barat for around 800 km total and I was completely blown away by the space and comfort it offered. In terms of comfort, it was miles ahead of our 2010 Fortuner 4wd. What is your take on the topic of comfort when you compare your Gabbar to your Storme?
Comfort covers many aspects including the quality , design and positioning of the seats, the space available in the vehicle, the suspension and its ability tackle various types of services, the NVH levels, the efficiency of air conditioning, ease of maneuvering the vehicle in traffic including U turns and parking and the ergonomics within the vehicle.

I have rarely travelled in the Scorpio N as a passenger and to some extent in the Storme over my 8 + years of ownership of the vehicle. From the drivers seat, Storme has the following benefits. Seating position and the immense space. The low Instrument cluster offers a great view and every corner of the vehicle is clearly visible. This helps immensely as the vehicle lacks modern driver aids like cameras . The windshield is at a significant distance from the driver and there is a lot of space between your head and the roof liner. The door pockets can swallow 3-4 bottles easily (a big plus on long road trips).

The gearbox has long shifts and is pretty vague. It also suffers from poor low end torque so you have to drive in lower gears. The driver also has to reach out for the gear lever and this is more so for a 5 ft 6 inch tall person like me. The vehicle also has significant amount of body roll and the one has to be mindful of that. You can maintain high speeds on broken surfaces / kuccha roads with the suspension filtering all but the monster potholes. The steering takes a bit of effort and can become tiring over long stretches of twisty mountain roads .

The Scorpio N had significantly better low and torque and pulls cleanly . It requires fewer gear changes and the gear shift is a lot more precise with shorter throws. The gear shift lever is also within easy reach. The Vehicle has very good NVH levels. The seats are comfortable though the leatherette upholstery can get very hot if the vehicle is parked in sun and the lack of ventilated seats can make your shirt stick to your back. This can be quiet uncomfortable especially in the Summers i North India. The Lack of ventilated seats is in my opinion a serious miss in this vehicle. The fabric seats in the Storme were better as they didn't get as hot.

The Scorpio N has an EPS which along with the front and back cameras make it very easy to maneuver and park the vehicle. Aids like Cruise control are useful on expressways . The dead pedal also helps in increasing driver comfort. What one misses initially is the immense Space offered by the Storme. The Glovebox is a joke especially for a vehicle of this size.

My family and others who occupied the rear seat ( 2nd row) of the Storme preferred it over the Scorpio N. The space, the high theatre like seating, the space on the floor Infront of the middle seat where you could keep an ice box very comfortably was much appreciated by one and all especially on long road trips as was the roof mounted AC unit which cooled the cabin in double quick time. I am yet to fully test the effectiveness of the AC for the rear seat occupants over long drives as the Summers have just begun and I have not really done really long road trips in the vehicle in peak summer.

As far as rear seat comfort is concerned there are very few vehicles which come close to the Storme. This very quality made it a favorite of politicians cover long distances and go to rural areas with bad roads till they started witching over to Fortuners and Endeavours. A lot of people in UP, Bihar & MP refer to the Safari as a "Raja Gadi"

When it comes to the last row, the Scorpio N's front facing seats are a clear winner over the Storme's jump seats. However, the vehicle is not likely to have more than 4 -5 people except when we have relatives staying over or when we go to visit our relatives. The smaller boot ( the folded rear row takes a lot of space) reduces the luggage space and we all will miss the huge boot that the Storme offered. Wife will have to learn to pack light when we got for long road trips or I may have to remove the last row.

As I spend more time with Gabbar, I will keep sharing my experience on this thread.
rajneeesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 10:40   #3507
Senior - BHPian

[[*]My mother, aunt, mother-in-law, cousin sister, all have knee problems and climbing into a Storme is a struggle. I have a collapsible Stool kept under my seat which I take out and offer them to use it to get onto the side-step or directly into the car. In comparison, the floor of the Scorpio-N is lower making Ingress and egress a lot easier.[/list][/quote]

Side steps are a must for both these high GC vehicles. Once the family gets used to using the Steps while entering and exiting the vehicles they have no complaints. However, people who are used to low slung hatch backs and sedans find it a bit tough and almost all of them complain about the effort it takes.
Old 19th April 2024, 07:14   #3508
Senior - BHPian

Another scary incident reported in the Scorpio N.

A missing fastener at the joint caused the issue, gross negligence from QC.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 19th April 2024 at 07:18.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 10:32   #3509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Another scary incident reported in the Scorpio N.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=jCJkXhUg81A

A missing fastener at the joint caused the issue, gross negligence from QC.
While a QC miss is not unusual, A QC miss for a part as crucial as this, sounds extremely scary.

I am curious to know what the current/recent owners feel about such things that could happen while on highway.
r24x7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 11:45   #3510

I was seriously considering to replace my Vento with Scorpio N after this all incident i'm confused to go with Mahindra or not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks