Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2024, 18:14   #3586
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Hi BHPians,

I have noticed some vibration felt at accelerator paddle and a noise when I go through a patch where body rolls a lot. Feels like either drive shaft is getting scratches / touched by some other part or tyres are rubbing against something which translates to a sound and vibration on paddle.

It rarely happens and happens only when there is significant down up or side ways moment (basically on bad patches). I have driven Scorpio-N over 25K kms and it happens almost every alternate day, on the same road.

This is my for RWD / BOF car, probably it is normal which I am not able to comprehend. Wanted to get fellow owners views on this, have you experienced it? And what is your takeaway? What should I do?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th June 2024 at 13:21. Reason: Typos and formatting.
Old 26th May 2024, 18:10   #3587
BHPian

Added a small HUD to the vehicle. Looks really nice in both daylight and without. Works as advertised, though I have not check the dozen menus it has. Essentially a much simpler version of what I had installed in Seraph (Vento).
There is a very minor lag in terms of speed and RPM readouts but can't really complain as the price was very good.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-20240526-175039.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6630.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_6632.jpg

Here it is in action:

For those who like mexico/most wanted 2005 filter and a little more aggressive music and driving:

Casual peaceful driving with the sun going down. The video is still processing at the time of writing this post (no idea why it is taking so long). 14 Pro takes stunning videos:

Of course, last but not the least. Yuru Camp magnetic stickers

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-yuru1.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-yuru2.jpg
vredesbyrd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 23:02   #3588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
Hi BHPians,

I have noticed some vibration felt at accelerator paddle and a noise when I go through a patch where body rolls a lot. Feels like either drive shaft is getting scratches / touched by some other part or tyres are rubbing against something which translates to a sound and vibration on paddle.

It rarely happens and happens only when there is significant down up or side ways moment (basically on bad patches). I have driven Scorpio-N over 25K kms and it happens almost every alternate day, on the same road.
I have observed this on few occasions on Z6 D AT and also with break pedal. Very hard to replicate with SA onboard. Happens randomly, if you can reproduce, better take ASC people at that route.

Situation 1: suddenly observed a big pothole which can't be avoided( Bangalore's road) and you brake hard but not that hard that it stops then and there. Mind you, previous speed doesn't matter. Now for few seconds, while brakes are still being applied, front tyres( or either one) go into pothole( have observed with left most of the time) and at exact same time, you feel the vibration at pedal with sound Grrrrrrrrrr. Its not metallic and sharp but muted, feels like plasticky .

Situation 2: started moving and find road with potholes which can't be avoided( mostly near signals, placed by BTP strategically so that you can't clear the signal fast so that they can justify whatever work they are doing to ease the traffic ).
Now, as you are moving and front wheels/wheel goes into pothole, slight vibration is felt for 1-2 seconds with same sound as above Grrrrrrrr.

In both situations, there should be mild body movement otherwise you can't observe this, too slow or too fast or no body movement you will miss it.

I tried explaining this to SA in my 1st service last month but could not. Went to a long test drive but could not reproduce. Very hard to explain to them as they will understand either vehicle braked or not, is it screeching sound which is synonymous with Scorpio-N now (this happens in morning only, not after driving or during).

I tried to check tyre rubbing marks but did not see anything in wheel wells.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th June 2024 at 13:23. Reason: Typos and formatting.
KumarS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 23:11   #3589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumarS View Post
I have observed this on few occasions on Z6 D AT and also with break pedal. Very hard to replicate with SA onboard. Happens randomly, if you can reproduce, better take ASC people at that route.

Situation 1: suddenly observed a big pothole which can't be avoided( Bangalore's road) and you brake hard but not that hard that it stops then and there. Mind you, previous speed doesn't matter. Now for few seconds, while brakes are still being applied, front tyres( or either one) go into pothole( have observed with left most of the time) and at exact same time, you feel the vibration at pedal with sound Grrrrrrrrrr. Its not metallic and sharp but muted, feels like plasticky .

Situation 2: started moving and find road with potholes which can't be avoided( mostly near signals, placed by BTP strategically so that you can't clear the signal fast so that they can justify whatever work they are doing to ease the traffic ).
Now, as you are moving and front wheels/wheel goes into pothole, slight vibration is felt for 1-2 seconds with same sound as above Grrrrrrrr.

In both situations, there should be mild body movement otherwise you can't observe this, too slow or too fast or no body movement you will miss it.

I tried explaining this to SA in my 1st service last month but could not. Went to a long test drive but could not reproduce. Very hard to explain to them as they will understand either vehicle braked or not, is it screeching sound which is synonymous with Scorpio-N now (this happens in morning only, not after driving or during).

I tried to check tyre rubbing marks but did not see anything in wheel wells.
I have a strong gut feeling that it is related to either the shaft connecting the rear differential or the differential itself. Happens with body roll only, and is unpredictable (as you mentioned 50% replication probability on the same pothole).

It is not something which is a deal or experience breaker during that period but want to have clarity that this does not evolve to a bigger more prominent issue in future.

Sometimes I feel it's a slipping of one side of tyre/differential slipping due to loss of traction/one tyre above ground , which I feel is theoretically would be common in RWD construction and only some one who has expertise (or experience) in shaft driven RWDs can enlighten us.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th June 2024 at 13:25. Reason: quoted post edited.
Old 27th May 2024, 07:19   #3590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Battery warning light issue is ongoing in my Scorpio N Z4 AT as well. Have clocked 2700 kms so far. Checked the battery voltage, which was found OK at the Mahindra Service Centre. They tightened the battery terminals and asked me to monitor the situation over the coming few days. Alternator could be the next suspect, which they will check next. I get the battery warning illumination after an hours drive, usually. It goes off and on erratically thereafter.
The battery warning indication issue looks to have been resolved with the above mentioned battery terminal and wiring checks. No warning indication has been seen by me during the past couple of outstation long drives. Hope everything goes good from here.
Old 27th May 2024, 11:53   #3591

Hello BHPians,

Just got delivery of my Scorpio N Z8 Select Petrol Manual on 24th and have driven close to 600kms. Loved every minute spent on the driving seat

One thing that bothers me a little is while changing gears it seems for a split second as if the gear is stuck / not slotting through as smoothly as my Hyundai Grand i10. Is this natural for a Mahindra and am I expecting too much or has Hyundai's butter smooth experience ruined me? I am not exactly sure how to describe this feeling, so please bear with me.

If this is not natural, anyone else noticed or felt it? Should I take it up with the ASS guys (though from all I have read and heard, there is no point in expecting much from them)?

Getting around 7kmpl in City with AC on 25-50% depending on the Ahmedabad heat and about 10kmpl on highway runs with Cruise control set at 80-85kmph & AC at 25%. Will these FE numbers (highway mainly cuz city run is about 400-500km a month so thats okay) improve over time?

Also, please suggest a dashcam which records front and rear both views. Appreciate all the help.

Thank you so much!
deveshshukla53 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 15:24   #3592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveshshukla53 View Post

One thing that bothers me a little is while changing gears it seems for a split second as if the gear is stuck / not slotting through as smoothly as my Hyundai Grand i10. Is this natural for a Mahindra and am I expecting too much or has Hyundai's butter smooth experience ruined me? I am not exactly sure how to describe this feeling, so please bear with me.
HI,
Petrol MT owner here, run around 4k kms in 1 year, gear shift in the Scorpio N is smooth enough but definitely not Hyundai/Maruti level, my other car is an Ignis so i can understand your feeling. but still its very much livable, you may feel some reluctance to shift when you are in a bit of hurry but doing it at a normal/slow pace i have not faced any issue.

Quote:
Getting around 7kmpl in City with AC on 25-50% depending on the Ahmedabad heat and about 10kmpl on highway runs with Cruise control set at 80-85kmph & AC at 25%. Will these FE numbers (highway mainly cuz city run is about 400-500km a month so thats okay) improve over time?
With the roads dug up all around the city I get 4.5-7kmpl in Mumbai traffic, on highways i mostly drive at 85-95kmph and i get around 13-14kmpl, all MID figures but pretty close to manual measurement, once the MID also showed around 17-16kmpl for around 50kms on the mumbai-pune expressway and once entered the city it got settled down to ~13kmpl . All figures with AC running at around 22-24deg all the time.

13-14kmpl should be achievable at the speeds you have mentioned.

Last edited by Gaur : 27th May 2024 at 15:34.
Gaur is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 19:49   #3593

Guys, a blasting sound from speakers is heard in my Z6 D MT sometimes while starting the car and the average in fuel economy meter resets and shows "--" after startup. Why is this blasting sound coming and is it same for everybody?
Old 2nd June 2024, 19:56   #3594

I am asking this on behalf of my Brother-in-law (who is not a part of this forum).
From the past few weeks, I have noticed the engine on his Scorpio-N Z8L diesel AT doesn't turn off as soon as you press the start-stop button (transmission in Park and Handrake engaged). Initially, I thought it was a one-off case since it wasn't happening every time. Later the issue became more apparent and it would normally take 3-5 secs after pressing the button to turn off.
Today however, he travelled form Mysore to Bangalore and after he reached, the engine refused to turn off for 15 mins. Finally, he engaged Auto Start-stop (he turns it off everytime he uses his vehicle as it gets very annoying in traffic at times) which in-turn turned off the engine after a few secs. There were no errors on the speedo console according to him.

Has anyone come across this weird issue? Do you know / Can you think of a possible cause?

P.S. I have advised him to get it checked with the Service center.
Old 3rd June 2024, 15:56   #3595
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,

Just got delivery of my Scorpio N Z8 Select Petrol Manual on 24th and have driven close to 600kms. Loved every minute spent on the driving seat

If this is not natural, anyone else noticed or felt it? Should I take it up with the ASS guys (though from all I have read and heard, there is no point in expecting much from them)?

Also, please suggest a dashcam which records front and rear both views. Appreciate all the help.

Thank you so much!
I used to drive a smooth-shifting Scross manual. Compared to that, my Scorpio N (Z8 D MT) feels a little slow in accepting the gear shift process. Like, it is asking me, "Are you sure you want to change gear? I can change, but are you sure?"
I can definitely feel half-a-second of 'hesitation' before the gear lever slots in position.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 3rd June 2024 at 15:57.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 03:26   #3596

2 months of staying in Basement and still purrs like a kitty.

Not sure if the tyre pressure should have gone down so low hence sharing. Comments are welcome.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img20240604030622.jpg

Last edited by graaja : 4th June 2024 at 04:56. Reason: Inserting picture
Old 4th June 2024, 12:48   #3597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhingrasud View Post
Guys, a blasting sound from speakers is heard in my Z6 D MT sometimes while starting the car and the average in fuel economy meter resets and shows "--" after startup. Why is this blasting sound coming and is it same for everybody?
I have also observed this in my car. Most of the times meter is reset after the sound and sometimes the screen also goes blank for 30 seconds or so.
I have Z8 Diesel Automatic so does not look like variant specific problem.
Old 4th June 2024, 13:42   #3598
BHPian

I had recieved call for few updates on my scorpio N. So, after 6 months, i came today for the updates. I was told it will take not less than 4 hrs. The updates are
1. CHASSIS WIRING HARNESS INSPECTION

2. PROP SHAFT BOLT REPLACEMENT AND S/W UPDATE

3. ICC SWITCH REPLACEMENT

4. STEERING I- SHAFT MTG BOLT RETORQUEING

5. SRS ECU SOFTWARE FLASHING

6. ALTERNATOR PULLEY REPLACEMENT

Now, my car is 1 yr old, and battery is Feb 23 batch. Mahindra just gives 1 yr warranty on battery. My car was unused for 3 months and the battery was found to be dead. Recharging for 5 hrs could not wake it up and specific gravity was also dead. So, i had a known friend at exide, got the battery replaced from him and raised under warranty claim. I was speaking to the service incharge who told me battery issues on scorpio N is rampant. So the queries are

1. Are more owners facing battery issues?
2. Are these updates on recall happening with everyone?
3. Other than battery drain, the car is fab. I had no reason to complain and will these updates ensure battery will live longer? My previous gen safari had a battery drain only after 5 Yrs. Considering that, scorpio N seems has alternator issues.
Old 4th June 2024, 15:51   #3599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by his-xc-lnc View Post

4. STEERING I- SHAFT MTG BOLT RETORQUEING
The intermediate shaft bolt retorqueing may be a result of the incident reported in April about the steering of a Scorpio N becoming unresponsive and getting stranded on highway. The intermediate shaft bolts of that Scorpio had given up making the steering unresponsive.
SteeringWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 17:00   #3600
BHPian

Happened to stumble upon this video on enabling TPMS for Scorpio N Z6. Is it even possible ? Has anybody here done this ? If so, will the service center help with it ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks