Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2022, 10:24   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Just like the previous generation Tucson, the fourth-generation car has a 5-star Euro NCAP rating (related report).
Please be mindful that the European Tucson has extra standard safety equipment like a centre airbag, rear-seat belt reminders +pretensioners, ISA, etc. that affect Euro NCAP's scoring. The Indian one also isn't approved for i-Size child seats.

Where do the CKD kits for the Indian-market Tucson come from?

Personal opinion: Old Tucson facelift looked way nicer, inside out. But the new one makes up with superior tech + safety.

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th August 2022 at 14:43. Reason: As requested
ron178 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 10:58   #62

I have seen Harrier, XUV700, Compass/Meridian being mentioned here but noone talked about MG Hector? if one is looking for Petrol only - Hector current top CVT model is 22 lac on road in Gurgaon. It has almost all features as tucson - with only downside being the sluggish engine. there is a New facelift coming this year too - which might be 1-2 lac more expensive but will have even more updated features. Hector interior quality is also pretty good.

My Question is - if one needs petrol - why not go for Hector new facelift which is 95% similar to Tucson petrol in size and features and save a bunch of money too? Please share your thoughts as I am super confused.
carObari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 11:11   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
Yes, agree it could have been priced better, but that rule applies to everything in general.

However, this Tucson is in a different segment and competes with the BMW X3 in size and that Diesel Automatic X-Drive is a good 40 lakhs more than this. I don't think the X3 costs double of Tucson in most international markets.
I would beg to differ here. No doubt the Tucson is an excellent vehicle which is built well and to global standards but definitely does not belong to the category of cars that you have mentioned above such as the X3. By Hyundais own admission through marketing material and executives talking during the launch it compares to the C5, Tiguan , Meridian, etc at the best.
In terms of wether pricing is right or not, people are currently willing to pay big bucks and the manufacturers are milking the situation. Where there is someone ready to pay and buy there will be someone ready to hike and sell.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 11:31   #64
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdan View Post

Also would there be any experiences folks on this forum could share about the drivability of the petrol NA on Tucson. I am not looking for a super zippy response from such a large car, but for my occasional highway drive, I don’t want to be underwhelmed while overtaking.

Thanks
Check few posts around this starting from here (2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT).
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 11:42   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Where do the CKD kits for the Indian-market Tucson come from?
For the old Tucson the kits came from South Korea, it should be the same for the new one.
lordrayden is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 12:29   #66
BHPian

An interesting comparison out of curiosity:
Venue and Tucson On-road Prices for top-trims in USA and India:

USA (Source-Hyundai official site)-
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-us.jpg
Powertrain: Venue - 1.6L (121hp) ; Tucson - 2.5L (187hp)

India (Source-Carwale)
Name:  India.jpg
Views: 1960
Size:  61.6 KB
Powertrain: Venue - 1.0L Turbo (120hp) ; Tucson - 2.0L (156hp)

Seems like smaller cars like Venue are better priced in India.

Hyundai should have provided the more powerful 2.5L (187hp) in India considering the prices.
shauryadabas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 12:31   #67

Have had a PHEV Tuscon for 2 months now and endorse the review wholeheartedly. My commute in the Scottish highlands is a combination of winding narrow 60mph roads and 20mph city centre roads and suffice it to say that our puppy refused to travel in our Corolla to town but jumps in to the the Tuscon. Also my daily work commute is an 18 mile round trip and so since I’ve filled it up 2 months ago and approx an hour’s plug in on a home 7kWh charger (PodPoint - restores it to full 37 mile range) it’s still a full tank. I like the feedback of the automatic and the automated lane assist and forward vehicle assist as it gently lets you feel it has engaged compared to the Corolla which needed an eagle eye when it turns off without warning.
ashishmacaden is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 12:41   #68
BHPian

At 40 lakhs OTR, the price matches with KIA Carnival. If someone is looking for space then they can better buy Carnival. If is is for Tech, then wait for upcoming MG Hector that is also going yo have ADAS and lot cheaper. I feel with this price, Tucson is in no-man's land.
gopalnt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 12:41   #69
BHPian

Hi, a small correction in my last post,
I am showing the comparison for top-end petrol trims
Old 13th August 2022, 13:12   #70
Senior - BHPian

Tucson has been killed at birth due to it's very optimistic 'over the top' pricing and rather dull petrol engine and transmission. Hyundai could've used the old Sonata 2.0 GDI engine instead of the Elantra's naturally aspirated petrol.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 13th August 2022 at 13:13.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 13:36   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauryadabas View Post

Seems like smaller cars like Venue are better priced in India.
Tucson is CKD while Venue is locally manufactured. Also looking at some of NCAP ratings, there are lot of cost cuttings Hyundai does for locally manufactured cars to bring down cost, something I am pretty sure is applicable to Venue as well. You should compare 2 CKD units or 2 locally manufactured cars to get right comparison.
neel911 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 13:54   #72
Senior - BHPian

Had a chance to test drive the Tucson diesel AT for a short duration. To be honest, this car has been clearly priced out of my budget, but I just wanted to get a feel of the car, so I took a very quick test drive.

The car seems quite lengthy in person, it looks uber cool with those distinctly different headlight assembly and also the sharp rear lights. It’s one of the best looking cars, no doubt. Very futuristic.

When you get inside the car, there just seems to be ample space for everything. It’s got a spacious boot and the modular parcel tray shelf is quite innovative.

While there are enough touch screens everywhere, I felt it just didn’t look very classy. The centre HU has a bit of an aftermarket look, it’s not fitted flush or seamless, if you know what I mean. And the digital instrument cluster seems like an afterthought, like they removed the entire console and just went for a slim tablet in the same space. They could have easily come up with a better design.

No doubt, everything inside out feels premium, although the steering felt a bit too small and not par for course.

During my short drive, the car came across as more relaxed, maybe things change in the sport mode, didn’t get enough time to try it properly. But it felt very relaxed and leisurely overall. The steering was super light, I wish it had a bit more heft. I had just driven the Jeep Compass petrol AT 1 hour before the Tucson drive, and I can certainly say that the Jeep Compass is far more engaging to drive, I’m aware that many people say that the petrol DCT gearbox is not all that quick, but to me it felt really good. The Tucson’s gear box was a bit odd to me, didn’t really feel seamless.

My wife and 10 year old son really liked the Tuscon, but the high sticker price is really a big disappointment. And to make it worse, the dealer remained very vague about the deliveries. He was stating that the booking can be done, but deliveries maybe 6-7 months later, and there is even a possibility that the prices maybe revised by March or April 2023. So if you book one now, there is no guarantee that you would get it in the same price.

If price weren’t a factor, I would choose the Tuscon, but the XUV700 and the Compass are not too far away in terms of refinement or fit and finish. All this points to one thing again, the XUV700 is just phenomenal value for money. It does almost all that a Tuscon can, while the Jeep Compass lacks in space, it is clearly the best driver’s car amongst all these three.

Last edited by motorworks : 13th August 2022 at 13:56.
motorworks is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 14:52   #73
Senior - BHPian

As usual, a great review and perhaps the only review that matters to me. While it is a good car, I feel Hyundai has gone bit greedy with pricing and it should have been at least 3 lakhs cheaper. Will wait for initial euphoria to subside and see if they start offering discounts.

Biggest issue for me with Hyundai is their designs feel impulsive and do not age with time. A decade old VW polo and vento designs definitely aged well compared to multiple Hyundai refreshes.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 15:01   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
...the XUV700 is just phenomenal value for money. It does almost all that a Tuscon can...
Very true. And that is exactly why that even after delivering almost 6000 cars every month, there is a huge backlog of more than 1.5 lakh bookings, resulting in waiting periods of more than a year for the XUV700. I wish XUV700 had ventilated seats and auto dimming IRVM and lesser waiting period. This would have further decreased whatever little interest is left in this Tucson after the price announcement.

In my point of view, Hyundai has lost a big opportunity here. If they had priced it 3-4 lakhs less they could have enjoyed a success like the Fortuner. The Fortuner, despite its steep price (almost 50 lakhs on road) sells about 3000 units per month which is mind boggling.

Everybody is saying that Hyundai doesn't have sufficient kits to produce more than 500 Tucsons per month. This is also shameful. If they can make 10000-12000 Cretas every month, there should not be any excuse for not being able to make around 1000-2000 Tucsons per month. This unwillingness of manufacturers to give premium products to Indian customers at an appropriate price point really sucks. Only Mahindra is offering really value for money products without compromising much on safety and features.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 13th August 2022 at 18:28. Reason: Typos
axe_deo is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th August 2022, 15:26   #75

Keeping specs aside. I am wondering if Tuscon has a 5th injector technology for feeding DOC or does it also uses post injection as part of exhaust stroke?
Company hasn't revealed any information around that.
CretaKumar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks