Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2023, 09:52   #481
BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy_wheels View Post
(Almost) maybe the people, who were vocal against their unsafe cars, may have played a big role in getting the company to mend its ways?
This is the only thing that can make manufacturers prioritize safety.

Quote:
. Hyndai should be appreciated, though, for noting peoples concerns and improving. Hopefully they will do it for all their cars and help reduce fatal accidents in India.
This part is slightly OT, but I have worked in the Rating (S&P) industry and it is inherently prone to conflict of interest. GNCAP is prone to the exact same issue.
Essentially, It is a process that can be gamed easily. prior to the meltdown of 2008-09 (coincidentally, the time was interning with a "reputed" rating agency), lowly paid analysts from the 2 rating agencies were in great demand, from then, top tier IB's (Lehman, Bear Stearns etc). This was simply because they knew the recipie which churned out ratings for the alphabet soup financial products (CDO/CDS/CDS^2/RMBS etc) which were being produced by these IB's. Essentially, a bunch of junk was stewed and with the help of the recipe, churned out Investment Grade ratings for these products. We all know how that ended.

GNCAP, seems to be funded on the same model, and given the generous ratings it gives to Tata/Mahindra till now, and the fact that they do not disclose their (A) Funding (B) Methodology and (C) No oversight from EU govt bodies, I would not place their ratings as very trustworthy.

Please not this is not a rant or anything against Hyundai, In all probability, I would be getting a verna soon. It is just a statement against an inherent conflict of Interst GNCAP has. and I'm extremely bisaed against Indian manufacturers so could'nt let the jibe against tata/Mahindra, as I'm yet to see any reliable products from them and also know how "rigourous" the QA is for pieces sourced from third party vendors. So if they are tom tomming a certification from yet another third party private agency, it's just setting off red flags .
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 11:33   #482

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hyundai Verna Crash tested: Hyundai Verna joins India’s constellation of five star cars.

Comments:

Frontal impact: the protection offered to the driver’s and passenger’s head and neck was good.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=82fQ...nel=GlobalNCAP
Dropped to this thread to make this update but of course the community is far ahead and this news is 1 page old

I feel with this update, the Verna runs circles around the VAG twins; only fear a price escalation following this news.
ABeeBytes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 14:08   #483
BHPian

How many characters are there in Hyundai VIN? My SA shared with me only 17 but the teambhp VIN thread says it's 19. Kindly help. Thanks in advance
Old 4th October 2023, 14:55   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem23 View Post
Koreans make wonderful cars, and they have been setting a benchmark on all parameters, and in all segments. We all have our personal preferences, but I hope this will stop the unnecessary bashing of Korean vehicles.
Koreans make wonderful cars outside India, here they sell feature rich cars with abysmal safety. As a customer I have all the rights to criticize a manufacturer who treats Indian customers as second grade, we too deserve safe cars. Hyundai always knew how to build solid cars long ago.

So all this necessary bashing of Korean vehicles has forced Hyundai to make an effort and provide us with safer vehicles.

Let us call a spade, a spade.

Really happy for the 5 star Verna.
John316_WRC is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 15:00   #485
BHPian

I believe the Safety section of this review needs an update as the new Verna has been crash tested by GNCAP and scored a commendable 5 stars.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 15:01   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
How many characters are there in Hyundai VIN? My SA shared with me only 17 but the teambhp VIN thread says it's 19. Kindly help. Thanks in advance
The ignorant SA’s generally share the ‘chassis no.’ calling it VIN. Call and tell him to explicitly share the ‘19-digit’ VIN & not the chassis number stamped on the car.

He should be able to find the VIN on one of the forms received from the manufacturer with the vehicle.
Old 4th October 2023, 17:11   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
The ignorant SA’s generally share the ‘chassis no.’ calling it VIN. Call and tell him to explicitly share the ‘19-digit’ VIN & not the chassis number stamped on the car.
Aren't the VIN and Chassis no. the same? Even many websites claim so.
is vin and chassis number same

My car has 17 digit VIN. There is another 19 digit code, but not sure what that is.
2023 Hyundai Verna Review-vin_1.jpg
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 18:44   #488

Quote:
(Almost) No one is paid to bash koreans or hyundai. Its good to note they have stepped up and given our people a 5 star rated car. Did you pause and think that maybe the people, who were vocal against their unsafe cars, may have played a big role in getting the company to mend its ways?

Everyone's life is important and we should always demand that every company build safe vehicles.
I see no problems in people bashing companies that skimp on safety. Hyndai should be appreciated, though, for noting peoples concerns and improving. Hopefully they will do it for all their cars and help reduce fatal accidents in India.
While I agree that cars must be safe NOW & manufacturers producing flimsy cars for specifically for Indian markets is deplorable; It's only for the past 10-15 years that we have the "NEED" for safer cars. Before that, we did not have infra conducive for high speed driving. At the dawn of this millennia, we had a paltry 160 KMS in expressways. So it is a function of need as well. What can we do with a ferrari or Lambo if all the roads are moon surface.
ABeeBytes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 20:11   #489
BHPian

Does Verna's Smart Cruise Control work in bumper-to-bumper speeds? Honda City's ACC disengages if the speed goes below 30 kmph, but Astor's ACC works even if the car comes to a full stop and then a tap on the accelerator engages ACC again. How does Verna's offering work?
Old 4th October 2023, 20:42   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post

My car has 17 digit VIN. There is another 19 digit code, but not sure what that is.
Attachment 2512009
Yes, they also call the 17-digit as VIN; however, if you need to decode the Month & year of manufacture, you need the entire 19-digit code. Hence, you have to explicitly mention as '19-digit' VIN.

The other 19-digit code on the sticker is not the VIN.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 14:58   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Only the 17-character VIN is shared in all documents. I recently booked Verna SX(O) IVT, and the moment vehicle was shipped from Hyundai, SA gave me the 17-character VIN. The 19 character (Chassis No) is punched on the car below the driver seat. It can be accessed only from the vehicle physically, I think. In my case, the moment vehicle reached their yard, SA shared the last 2 characters ('*' followed by an alphabet, which will denote the month of manufacturing)
harikr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 15:09   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
is vin and chassis number same

VIN and Chassis number are usually used interchangeably. However, they need not be same, as is the case with Hyundai. VIN is always 17 characters and follows the ISO standards mostly (ISO 3779, ISO 3780). OEMs usually use VIN as Chassis number (or vice versa) as is makes the tracking easy. In chassis number, you can add more characters as per your internal codes.

@Mods: Missed the multi quote option. Apologies for the back-to-back posts.

Last edited by harikr : 5th October 2023 at 15:11. Reason: Adding more info
harikr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 18:56   #493
Senior - BHPian

So guys, I have gone ahead and put in a deposit on the Verna DCT SXO. I did multiple drives and just loved the machine for what it offers as a balance of performance, features and importantly, passenger comfort. ADAS 2 will be an interesting system to deal with. The GNCAP rating was the cherry on the cake at the time of the decision.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 7th October 2023 at 18:58.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 19:22   #494
BHPian

Anyone facing issue with the wipers? It judders a lot (driver side wiper). I changed the wiper to frameless and even that has the judder issue. Is there anything that needs to be done to fix it?
Old 7th October 2023, 19:57   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Nyx View Post
Anyone facing issue with the wipers? It judders a lot (driver side wiper). I changed the wiper to frameless and even that has the judder issue. Is there anything that needs to be done to fix it?
Did you ceramic coat your windshield?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks