Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2023, 12:35   #466
BANNED

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Verna becomes the first India-made Hyundai car to secure Global NCAP 5-star rating

A full report on Adult and child safety parameters will be out soon.
The Hyundai Verna was assessed in its most basic passive safety specification with 6 airbags and ESC as standard. The model achieved a five-star rating for adult and child occupants although the vehicle’s structure was unstable in the test. After the side impact test, a Child Restraint System (CRS) failure was noted. The CRS manufacturer identified this as a one-off. In order to verify the claim, Global NCAP says it performed a subsequent higher energy side impact test. The CRS showed no further sign of failure.

I wonder what will Korean bashers do now?
Time for another nit-picking

Source: https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...ting/104124317
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Hyundai Verna Review-20231003_121937.jpg  

Last edited by aseem23 : 3rd October 2023 at 12:40.
aseem23 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 12:37   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
The new Verna scores 5-stars in GNCAP Test.

Verna Score 5-stars in GNCAP.
5 stars with Body shell unstable nonetheless it's great to see Hyundai catching up with VW/Skoda/Tata/Mahindra in terms of safety.
AbhishekNigam is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 12:38   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem23 View Post
Well, haters gonna hate anyway. they can still nit-pick on an 'unstable' body shell.

Finally the Koreans have woken up , good job! Now this gives some hope that probably the Seltos facelift and the upcoming Creta Facelift might perform well? Am I expecting too much?

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 3rd October 2023 at 13:06.
ashvek3141 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 12:42   #469
BANNED

For all those who want to understand how GNCAP works, this video sums it up well. Make your own decision, and enjoy whichever car you choose as per requirements.

aseem23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 12:42   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Verna Crash tested: Hyundai Verna joins India’s constellation of five star cars.

Comments:

Frontal impact: the protection offered to the driver’s and passenger’s head and neck was good. Driver’s chest showed marginal protection and passenger’s chest showed good protection. Driver’s and passenger’s knees showed marginal protection as they can impact dangerous structures behind the fascia. Driver’s tibias showed adequate protection and passenger’s tibias showed good and adequate protection.
Footwell area was rated as unstable. The bodyshell was rated as unstable and it is not capable of withstanding further loadings.

Side impact: head, pelvis and abdomen showed good protection while chest showed adequate protection.

Side pole impact: curtain airbags are standard and meet the fitment requirements showing good protection to the head and pelvis, marginal protection to the chest and adequate protection to the abdomen.

ESC is fitted as standard and the performance shown in the test was acceptable according to Global NCAP’s latest requirements.

SBR is standard in all seating positions but only meets the requirements in the front positions. All this explained the 5 star result.

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-screenshot-20231003-124121.png

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-screenshot-20231003-124406.png

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd October 2023 at 12:58.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 12:49   #471
BHPian

This is a win for Indian consumers. Big company with already huge sales numbers like Hyundai had to bow down and work on safety for the Indian market and sponsor tests where they could have easily gone their usual way, shows how we have matured as a customer base and also the faith in voice of customer.

Moreover this now puts pressure on existing players who were touting good safety ratings and cutting down on features (read VAG twins) to pull up their socks.
TheFonz is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 12:55   #472
BHPian

This reason is enough for me to consider the new Verna as the replacement for my City Diesel, which is due for replacement sometime next year.

Kudos to Hyundai for getting 5 stars in GNCAP test.

Now, I feel sedans are back on the track and rule once again post GNCAP ratings.
car_guy1998 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 13:56   #473
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Now this gives some hope that probably the Seltos facelift and the upcoming Creta Facelift might perform well? Am I expecting too much?
I am 100% confident that New Seltos and the upcoming Creta Facelift will come with a 5-star badge, but let's wait for the confirmation. Koreans make wonderful cars, and they have been setting a benchmark on all parameters, and in all segments. Eventually, it is good for customers as they can choose from several options. We all have our personal preferences, but I hope this will stop the unnecessary bashing of Korean vehicles.
aseem23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 16:49   #474
BHPian

An unstable shell with 5 star rating. I am not too knowledgeable on the star rating aspect but ain't the above sentence contradictory?
Request expertise from forum members to help us understand how these two aspects should be joined to see the bigger picture.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 17:23   #475
BHPian

Up until now I was thinking VW Virtus and rating it ahead of Verna because of safety. With highways now regularly allowing 100 kmph and some even 120 kmph as legal limit, it is absolutely imperative to look at safety record when driving on highways.

And now, for me, Verna is at par with VW. With a 5 star rating, this is an icing on the cake for the Korean maker.

What is also great to see is that safety is now getting the eyeballs it needed. So far, Indians have largely been absent to the idea of safety and I am absolutely certain customers now walking into Hyundai showrooms will be a happier lot.

Personally, I have been a huge fan of Hyundai engineering - having owned a Santro for 10 years and then an Xcent which is now in its 10th year. I did consider a Verna some weeks ago as that insect woke up, saw it, evaluated it and decided against it. The brain won the battle with the heart. One of the reasons was safety. Next time the insect wakes up - it will be hard to manage it. It is great to see a full 5 stars to Verna.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 19:46   #476
BHPian

Amazing! I’m so happy to see Hyundai joining 5* group! Thanks to Tata, Mahindra, Škoda, VW for advertising and advocating safety. I’m glad that Hyundai has joined that list. I’m sure that the new Seltos will have same story to tell.
Maruti Suzuki the eyes are on you now!!
Old 3rd October 2023, 21:03   #477
BHPian

It's a fantastic news as Hyundai finally joins the club. Now I can happily justify spending 20L on Verna

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
Maruti Suzuki the eyes are on you now!!
Meanwhile Maruti...

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-monkey.jpg

Last edited by MyLife_MyCar : 3rd October 2023 at 21:20.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 22:25   #478
BHPian

Quote:

Source: https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...ting/104124317
(Almost) No one is paid to bash koreans or hyundai. Its good to note they have stepped up and given our people a 5 star rated car. Did you pause and think that maybe the people, who were vocal against their unsafe cars, may have played a big role in getting the company to mend its ways?

Everyone's life is important and we should always demand that every company build safe vehicles.
I see no problems in people bashing companies that skimp on safety. Hyndai should be appreciated, though, for noting peoples concerns and improving. Hopefully they will do it for all their cars and help reduce fatal accidents in India.
Zippy_wheels is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 22:59   #479
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy_wheels View Post
Everyone's life is important and we should always demand that every company build safe vehicles.
I see no problems in people bashing companies that skimp on safety. Hyndai should be appreciated, though, for noting peoples concerns and improving. Hopefully they will do it for all their cars and help reduce fatal accidents in India.
IMO, if people start following traffic rules in our country then it will help to save more lives than any Certificate badge. Having a 5-star badge is no license to disobey traffic rules, ego driving, etc. Cyrus Mistry died in a 5-star badge car due to overspeeding.

Improving safety is a welcome step but more than any badge, for me it is important that people in my circle follow traffic rules strictly. The majority of the population in our country still commutes via 2-wheelers or 3-wheelers (SAFETY??), and 4-wheelers need to create a safe environment for others to drive as well.

I come from a Tier-3 city where we have just one traffic signal, and following that single signal is a pain for the majority of people, even for 5-star certificate cars.
Old 3rd October 2023, 23:42   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem23 View Post
IMO, if people start following traffic rules in our country then it will help to save more lives than any Certificate badge. Having a 5-star badge is no license to disobey traffic rules, ego driving, etc. Cyrus Mistry died in a 5-star badge car due to overspeeding.

Improving safety is a welcome step but more than any badge, for me it is important that people in my circle follow traffic rules strictly. The majority of the population in our country still commutes via 2-wheelers or 3-wheelers (SAFETY??), and 4-wheelers need to create a safe environment for others to drive as well.

I come from a Tier-3 city where we have just one traffic signal, and following that single signal is a pain for the majority of people, even for 5-star certificate cars.
IMO these are two different topics. Following rules and discipline are absolutely the biggest cause of accidents in India. We all suffer through the wrong side, triple seat, signal breaking idiots all the time. But they are just one part of the equation.

Building safe cars is about saving lives/minimizing injuries from all possible scenarios which also includes driver sleeping off, bad road conditions, our ridiculously built unpainted speed breakers , landslides, break failure and a lot more.

Both are important, but one thing cannot be used to defend the other.
Zippy_wheels is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks