Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2023, 16:12   #2101
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Excellent review post usage, Guru.

You mentioned the soft suspension at the rear ending in the car bottoming out under load. Would an addition like the Rogerab suspension buffer help improve the situation?
Unlikely. The spring rate doesn't change. This is just like adding a bump stop. The only solution is a load capacity upgrade with stiffer springs and corresponding dampers.
gsferrari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 17:01   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
...How can we switch off 4WD during turning and engage when driving in straightforward. Isn’t this difficult to remember in an off road situation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
...When you are off road it is ok be in 4L on as the surface will afford "slip" for the drivetrain. We don't disengage 4L once we head into the trail.
Adding to what was responded above - do not take the "no u-turn in 4WD" to be absolute.

As I said earlier 4WD and surfaces that give traction are not best friends. So, that advice is only for surfaces with traction. In mud, sand, rock, and such off road tracks, this does not apply. When in an off-road track, you engage and keep 4WD engaged in turns, straights, slides, jumps and all. This is because, off-road tracks provide the needed slip in the differential when the wheels spin at different speed. This slip is not possible when driving on surfaces with traction (in a non straight line and with 4WD engaged) as both wheels in an axle will have traction, which prevents this needed slippage.
HappyWheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 20:41   #2103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
https://Youtu.be/U5IGGZKfRI0?si=0Z4UWgNexcVyp5Za

A 3000+ Km update by your's truly!
Awesome Review Guru. Very crisp and informative.

And You are not the only one with the regret of selling the Gypsy

Keep churning more Jimny videos. Fun to watch it.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 21:17   #2104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good review.

What was the PSI did you have in the river sand bed?
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 22:15   #2105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Awesome Review Guru. Very crisp and informative.
Thanks machan!

Quote:
And You are not the only one with the regret of selling the Gypsy
We shared the same Gypsy... And we share the same regret. Let's buy Geoff back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Good review.

What was the PSI did you have in the river sand bed?
Thanks mate! 16 psi in the sand. It works better than 18-20 for me with the floatation on the very soft and deep sand that we come across in patches.
gsferrari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 07:04   #2106
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the honest update and extremely useful insights.

Couple of points you mention are of special interest for me -

1. In the AT version the coasting/rolling and the RPM dropping to almost idling levels when going downhill with OD in ON position is really to be taken seriously for people driving in the mountains. It is advisable to keep OD OFF or drive in 2 or L depending on the downhill slope.

2. I have noticed that the A pedal is a bit on the hard side (I drove an Etios and Alto K10 before) and my right leg feels strained at times.

- Does anyone else get this feeling?
- Would the throttle controller help here?
- Or is it just the position of my seating?

Last edited by dileep : 17th October 2023 at 07:05. Reason: typo
dileep is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 09:32   #2107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I won't go with such feedback. Media drive and especially if someone is driving something as exclusive as Jimny for the first time, we cannot have a fair judgement.
Quote:
Your own TeamBHP correspondents were with me on the media drive. We were in Dehradun on the same day but I guess putting a review in text on TeamBHP makes it somehow more "trustworthy" than someone making a similar effort on YouTube
Quote:

I enjoyed your review at the 6:28 mark

Watching the whole as I write, remembered my earlier banter with you, so thought of posting.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 09:36   #2108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I enjoyed your review at the 6:28 mark

Watching the whole as I write, remembered my earlier banter with you, so thought of posting.
I remembered you as well

This was more a case of points missed rather than misrepresented so we can still chew each others ears off over a meal sometime 🍻
gsferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 13:42   #2109
BHPian

Quote:
Unlikely. The spring rate doesn't change. This is just like adding a bump stop. The only solution is a load capacity upgrade with stiffer springs and corresponding dampers.
I have used the Nano suspension shocks. Jimny is more planted now and doesn't feel that floaty. As always, with stiffer suspension, it is a hoot to drive in the highways. It remains to be seen if the stiffer suspension will make the ride bumpy in off road conditions.
I also fit the NGK Premium RX spark plugs DCPR6ERX-11P ( can't thank bhpian Rahul lal enough for this recommendation) and wind booster GT. Now the Jimny cruises between 90-110 easily without feeling strained. Strained is a relative word as the Tranny @3000 RPM northwards is not something I'm used to. Mileage between 90-100 is around 13.5KMPL,100-110 is around 11.5-12.7KMPL and 110-120 is around 10.8-11KMPL . Clocked 9000 kms so far.

Quote:
The problem in India is that when you go wide, even if you indicate your intent to make a turn, our fellow citizens cannot resist going for that overtake or taking up the space you just vacated, often preventing you from making the u-turn while they wait for the traffic up ahead to move.
As the great Ayrton Senna once said
" If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing/Indian traffic driver"
Neil Roy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 17:23   #2110
BHPian

Many have a zero car garage, so can one have Jimny as the only car? Absolutely. Is it a smart thing to do? Not in the least, per me. That said, no car in the world can satisfy all requirements, but if one can own just one, one often tries to get as many of the desirable traits as possible in the final choice. If you work in the reverse direction, that is stating with a car in mind, you can also come up with any excuse to justify your choice, but that's not the same thing, is it? What the Jimny is, is a fantastic fun machine. Great for a mix of on and off road driving, with very little in terms of creature comforts. If you want to do a lot of highway driving, this is a rather uninspiring and under-powered vehicle. If you want to do hardcore offroading, you need a proper jeep. If you mostly want to do highway driving, you need a car with more pleasant drive characteristics. It has ample storage if you compare it with a two wheeler, but if you want to do any bit of decent hauling, this is rather tiny. It has a fuel efficiency of a heavy SUV, size of a hatch, highway comfort of a tractor and is not full of tech. Are there reasons to buy it? Yes, but if you want it to be a practical single vehicle, that it isn't, unless you are willing to really put up with a lot of sacrifices.
supermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 19:14   #2111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
I also fit the NGK Premium RX spark plugs DCPR6ERX-11P ( can't thank bhpian Rahul lal enough for this recommendation) and wind booster GT. Now the Jimny cruises between 90-110 easily without feeling strained. Strained is a relative word as the Tranny @3000 RPM northwards is not something I'm used to. Mileage between 90-100 is around 13.5KMPL,100-110 is around 11.5-12.7KMPL and 110-120 is around 10.8-11KMPL . Clocked 9000 kms so far.
Hey, can you please elaborate on the NGKs. Is there any significant improvement in the vehicle performance? Also, what do you mean by “strained”? Is that gone after the spark plug replacement? Like does it mean it cruises more comfortably? Because folks updated that the more the odo is, the smoother the engine.

So it could also be placebo. Hope it’s not. Just trying to rule it out.

Thanks.
Old 17th October 2023, 19:35   #2112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
Many have a zero car garage, so can one have Jimny as the only car? Absolutely.
100% true. With the right kind of performance mods, Jimny can be the jack of all trades which we need so badly. Bad roads or no roads which are quite often the norm in India is just a walk in the park for Jimny. So far, I have had the Duster, the Cruze and now the New Safari. I prefer Jimny for city runs and solo runs now. Comfort is a mild trade off compared to the go anywhere confidence that the Jimny inspires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
Hey, can you please elaborate on the NGKs. Is there any significant improvement in the vehicle performance? Also, what do you mean by “strained”? Is that gone after the spark plug replacement? Like does it mean it cruises more comfortably? Because folks updated that the more the odo is, the smoother the engine.

So it could also be placebo. Hope it’s not. Just trying to rule it out.

Thanks.
It definitely is not placebo. I took my New Safari to Coimbatore on September 30th. Drive time was 8.5 hours. With the Jimny it is 8 hours. Of course, I took a lot of short cuts and off road detours with the Jimny, but overall time was quicker which is very surprising.
By strained, I meant that, with the 4 speed AT, 100KMPH is attained at 2950 RPM which feels strained. With NGK spark plugs and Throttle controllers, I'm able to attain 100KMPH quicker. This was the only area where the Jimny in it's stock form struggles. As GSFerrari mentioned in his video, Throttle controllers not only aid in rapid acceleration, gears also shift more quicker based on urgency.The mileage also seems to be higher. It might be due to higher odo or the spark plugs. Whichever way, I'm happy. Hope this clarifies.
Neil Roy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 01:21   #2113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
Many have a zero car garage, so can one have Jimny as the only car? Absolutely. Is it a smart thing to do? Not in the least, per me. That said, no car in the world can satisfy all requirements, but if one can own just one, one often tries to get as many of the desirable traits as possible in the final choice. If you work in the reverse direction, that is stating with a car in mind, you can also come up with any excuse to justify your choice, but that's not the same thing, is it? What the Jimny is, is a fantastic fun machine. Great for a mix of on and off road driving, with very little in terms of creature comforts. If you want to do a lot of highway driving, this is a rather uninspiring and under-powered vehicle. If you want to do hardcore offroading, you need a proper jeep. If you mostly want to do highway driving, you need a car with more pleasant drive characteristics. It has ample storage if you compare it with a two wheeler, but if you want to do any bit of decent hauling, this is rather tiny. It has a fuel efficiency of a heavy SUV, size of a hatch, highway comfort of a tractor and is not full of tech. Are there reasons to buy it? Yes, but if you want it to be a practical single vehicle, that it isn't, unless you are willing to really put up with a lot of sacrifices.

I think it depends on the family size and age of the rear seat occupants. For a small family with mostly kids in the back seat, the Jimny is just fine. Practical too. It's fun in the city thanks to its narrow footprint. It's fun over bad roads and off-road due to obvious reasons. I've managed to find places to fit my wallet and my phone and so has my wife. It chills superbly at highway speed limits of 100 kph or thereabouts. With a K&N filter and NGK plugs, it feels quie peppy too. Just small tweaks and there are no sacrifices to put up with. Only smiles
R.Daroga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 06:50   #2114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Daroga View Post
I It's fun in the city thanks to its narrow footprint. It's fun over bad roads and off-road due to obvious reasons. With a K&N filter and NGK plugs, it feels quie peppy too. Just small tweaks and there are no sacrifices to put up with. Only smiles
The Jimny is more than accomplished. It is also a well proven vehicle in many parts of the world.
I agree it will give the right customer profile lots of smiles.
Too often in our country we eulogise this “Road Presence” and “Butch-ness” which honestly is more like a mere euphemism for ‘Bullying’.
The Jimny as you say is really versatile, small and goes anywhere. Add that EVC X Throttle Controller and you get all the acceleration you want too.
What’s not to like?
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 11:14   #2115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
I have used the Nano suspension shocks. Jimny is more planted now and doesn't feel that floaty. As always, with stiffer suspension, it is a hoot to drive in the highways. It remains to be seen if the stiffer suspension will make the ride bumpy in off road conditions.
Off-road it is more about the traction than the ride quality. You are going so slow most of the time. I've seen Jeeps and Gypsys with leaf springs piled on and still articulating wildly although I am sure there is a fine balance of spring and damping.

Quote:
As the great Ayrton Senna once said
" If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing/Indian traffic driver"
Haha this one made me smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Too often in our country we eulogise this “Road Presence” and “Butch-ness” which honestly is more like a mere euphemism for ‘Bullying’.
It is deep rooted in our psyche by this point that might is right. Even the manufacturers are forced to peddle to this "market" because the other guy is doing it. A lot of good cars don't register on the sales charts because people want to hold the biggest, baddest gun in the battlefield.
gsferrari is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks