Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2023, 18:51   #2161
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Folks, is it worth going for extended warranty on the Jimny? Nexa is quoting 29k for extended warranty, 5 years/1 lakh kms.
Old 23rd October 2023, 23:36   #2162
BHPian

Can someone please let me know if it's worth going for BMC air filter for Jimmy. Does the performance really improve?
Old 24th October 2023, 07:00   #2163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Can someone please let me know if it's worth going for BMC air filter for Jimmy. Does the performance really improve?
I have used K&N Conical Air Filters and all before in my Gypsy, Swift and even in my Cooper S more recently. The fact is that all these Performance air filters allow a lot of muck into the engine, in our heavily polluted conditions. The filter element is wider and more porous which enables the engine to breathe more freely. At the same time, it allows in bigger particles of impurities and grime and dust and all, as compared with the OEM filters. All these impurities and large particles go and get trapped in the engine oil and discolour it faster and then keep circulating freely within the engine. This has been my experience and I am just staying with stock.

If the intent is higher performance and better acceleration and all that, then it is best to probably consider what Guru (gsferrari) has done. He has installed the EVC throttle controller on his Jimny. And following his example Ive installed EVCX on two of my vehicles. The difference in performance is palpable.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th October 2023 at 07:09.
shankar.balan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 18:33   #2164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Folks, is it worth going for extended warranty on the Jimny? Nexa is quoting 29k for extended warranty, 5 years/1 lakh kms.
It's worth going for it if

1. you are not doing any modifications that will void warranty
2. mileage per year - at least 12000 km
3. Automatic transmission (although it's a proven slush box)
dileep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 00:01   #2165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Jimny is the most unreliable vehicle from MSIL. And MSIL didn't do enough R&D, Testing, Validation etc. for the 5 door Jimny. The initial niggles reported and a more serious problem of brakes issue beyond treeline which is still unresolved (the problems were posted by Team-Bhpians but no specific analysis, findings or resolution were reported by them. No recall from MSIL so far) indicate that we may face serious issues on a later date. Add deteriorating QA/QC of MSIL at manufacturing stage, and service, maintenance quality. None of the service centres have a single set of Jimny spares available with them (not even the basic spares kit).

Hence, I would suggest to opt for the extended warranty to the maximum possible tenure and mileage.
RijuC is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 08:42   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Jimny is the most unreliable vehicle from MSIL. And MSIL didn't do enough R&D, Testing, Validation etc. for the 5 door Jimny. The initial niggles reported and a more serious problem of brakes issue beyond treeline which is still unresolved (the problems were posted by Team-Bhpians but no specific analysis, findings or resolution were reported by them. No recall from MSIL so far) indicate that we may face serious issues on a later date. Add deteriorating QA/QC of MSIL at manufacturing stage, and service, maintenance quality. None of the service centres have a single set of Jimny spares available with them (not even the basic spares kit).

Hence, I would suggest to opt for the extended warranty to the maximum possible tenure and mileage.
I wouldn’t go so far to call the Jimny an unreliable vehicle. There’s nothing in there that hasn’t been through the grind in several countries and several Suzuki models for years and up to a decade. And remember, the R&D over the Jimny is basically Suzuki and not Maruti and Suzuki have basically perfected the art of small cars since inception.

The problem lies elsewhere from where I look at it.

Suzuki may have developed and green-lit the 5-door via MSIL, keeping export markets squarely in the bullseye. In the larger scheme of things, the expenses towards tooling for this may pay off in the demand for lighter, recreational off-roaders globally (cue the breaking news of the Toyota Land Hopper) with the practicality of added space and access. It also wouldn’t hurt to try and gain a pie of that demand in the Indian market. For perspective, even the ‘low’ numbers in India, are greater than corresponding numbers in other markets that the Jimny sells in. A huge organisation like Suzuki, won’t make rookie mistakes on a global model.

But - and it’s a big but and I cannot lie , roads above 18,000 ft altitude aren’t available readily in these markets (an assumption and I look forward to being wrong), and therefore there are some typical symptoms now showing up in the Indian-driven Jimny in the higher Himalayas. And yes, MSIL need to take these seriously and reverse engineer the problem typical to our scenarios. Will they? Dunno. Should we be worried as users? I don’t think so. That car is so basic, it’s difficult to break just by regular use, unless you prang it. Spare situation will improve I’m sure in the coming days.
Is my optimism misplaced?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th October 2023 at 17:19. Reason: spacing for readability
SUVolens is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 10:54   #2167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
I wouldn’t go so far to call the Jimny an unreliable vehicle. ***
And remember, the R&D over the Jimny is basically Suzuki and not Maruti
And yes, MSIL need to take these seriously and reverse engineer the problem typical to our scenarios. Will they? Dunno. Should we be worried as users? I don’t think so. That car is so basic, it’s difficult to break just by regular use, unless you prang it. Spare situation will improve I’m sure in the coming days.
Is my optimism misplaced?
If you re-read my opening sentence, I stated that Jimny is most unreliable from MSIL. Usually we consider bullet proof reliability to be the main USP of MSIL or Suzuki cars.

MSIL= Suzuki Corporation, no doubt about it. It's just the Maruti name legacy they are using here.

The ICE head unit and mic module failed on D-day. And I had to run to their service centre thrice to get them checked and replaced. However, I do understand the 3rd party electronics can sometimes fail at the beginning, if the QA/QC system and procedure do not work as they claim.

Now, the brake issue- it was reported exactly one month ago in this forum. The MSIL team investigated the brake system, collected the samples, carried out preventive maintenance, bleeding of circuit etc. After that investigation, we do not know what was the outcome, oil analysis result. We have also heard / read that MSIL technical staff attended misalignment issues of few units.

We learnt that basic spares like pins etc. were not available at service centre. The Jimny was unveiled on 12th January, 2023 and first delivery started on 8th June, 2023. And we are still complaining that basic spares are not available in October, 2023. Don't you think 5 months is good enough to streamline the SCM of spares? During the electronics failure for my Jimny in August, heard the same excuse from service centre guys that they didn't have any spare set for Jimny (mechanical, elastomer, electricals and electronics types).

This is my 3rd MSIL car. And I never faced / heard any such trouble for other cars from MSIL. If you go through my other posts regarding the driving experience so far, usage, comfort, space etc.; I have always shared my good experiences with the car. However, the response from MSIL for the problems reported, closure of the issues faced by customers, spares availablity issues are not at all praiseworthy.

Last edited by RijuC : 25th October 2023 at 10:56.
RijuC is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 10:59   #2168
Mik
BHPian

These price cuts were coming. I expect more in the next few months as even in its current price point - The Jimny is quite a leap of faith for most.
I so wish Maruti had focused on hill folks and kerala country roads instead of taking the Thar head on with the lifestyle vehicle creds (Maruti Suzuki Arena instead of NEXA). The Jimny with its small footprint and its 5 doors is so much more practical in the hills and could have been an aspirational yet practical run-about. A 9.99 ex for base would have been perfect.
The current pricing is neither here nor there. The Thar looks more car per car for the lifestyle aficionado and the Jimny is simply not enough car for the CSUV segment buyer.

If Maruti doesn't quickly reposition this, we will soon be having a made-to-order Jimny situation once a firesale goes down in the coming few months.

Personally, i was disappointed by the manual gear box, drony uninspiring engine and overall fit n finish levels for the price asked. It felt too close to my Dads 90s fauji gypsy. This after i went golly eyed seeing the red jimny in the showroom in July and the design recalls back to the old legend.
Now I keep patience for a big price cut or maybe pickup the 2nd hand Thar once people realise they can't keep doing wanderlust and have babies to ferry about
Mik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 12:00   #2169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Personally, i was disappointed by the manual gear box, drony uninspiring engine and overall fit n finish levels for the price asked. It felt too close to my Dads 90s fauji gypsy. This after i went golly eyed seeing the red jimny in the showroom in July and the design recalls back to the old legend.
Now I keep patience for a big price cut or maybe pickup the 2nd hand Thar once people realise they can't keep doing wanderlust and have babies to ferry about
Maybe you should buy my Thar (WRONGLER) (although I ain’t got no babies to ferry about and my general driving Wanderlust is limited to 500kms from base!.) and let me go buy a new Jimny once the price cuts kick in more firmly. Say by Jan of 2024.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th October 2023 at 12:02.
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 12:20   #2170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
I am a 6 feeter and 93 kg body weight driver....

During the expressway drives for these above mentioned sections, drove my Jimny at 100 kmph on cruise control.....Otherwise, I can do zig zag through the trucks or overtake slow moving trucks safely with OD-off.
Hey, a few questions regarding your ownership.
1. I'm the same height as you, how is the under thigh and lumbar support over long periods for you ?

2. What was the highway mileage you got and how did the car perform while driving up the hills ?
Turbolove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 12:38   #2171
BHPian

It's sad to see an iconic Jimny 5D struggling to sell well.

What MSIL should have done on the onset, launched the 3D with all bells and whistles, which would have been more desirable, I'm sure, and then launched the 5D after some years.

I'll surely pick up one with a 10L base price.

Let's wait and watch.
Old 25th October 2023, 12:55   #2172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Maybe you should buy my Thar (WRONGLER) (although I ain’t got no babies to ferry about and my general driving Wanderlust is limited to 500kms from base!.) and let me go buy a new Jimny once the price cuts kick in more firmly. Say by Jan of 2024.
Now you guys are really rubbing it in. Goes to show that impulsive buying is like trading in stock market or going to vegas. The house always wins
Old 25th October 2023, 13:13   #2173
Senior - BHPian

Was checking with my SA here in Pune and the discounts are only on the Zeta, as I guess most buyers went for the Alpha and there is excess Zeta stock that is being liquidated.

There are no discounts on the Alpha. It's anybody's guess if these discounts continue into 2024 or are just temporary to clear inventory before the year end. Maruti anyway didn't have high expectations in volume terms for the Jimny and the production line is kept running for export requirements.

If anyone is on the fence for a Zeta, now is the best time to buy !
Old 25th October 2023, 13:18   #2174
Team-BHP Support

"I told you so" moment when I saw the price cut news and not at all surprised.

Let us admit it, Jimny is a very different market and ball game for Maruti (to what Maruti generally sells). They had no clue and got carried away with all the hype that was floating around. It is a small little dinky car with pretty under average performance and low mileage to add to the woes.

I am reiterating again if they want to see killer volumes to this vehicle 1) they need to change the pitch. Focus on hilly regions across the country, yuppy guppy market has already bought or moved on. 2) Deliver the vehicle at 10-11 Lakhs for manual model On the road price. And 12-13 Lakhs for automatic.

Give lifetime free service to the ones who have already paid or refund 2-3 lakhs lol....
Jaggu is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 13:25   #2175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
"I told you so" moment when I saw the price cut news and not at all surprised.
Was exactly what I kept telling when the price was announced earlier on in this thread, but was shut down quite quickly by the ones who bought the car lol.

5 door base variant thar will simply decimate the volumes the top end Jimny has at the moment. Unless the Jimny comes with the new strong hybrid range of motors that are debuting with the new Swift, it really makes little sense unless you have a terrific use case for this car on a daily basis.

Until then toy it is and toy it will remain. This is not the price one can justify for a working man’s car.
Red Liner is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks